Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

In Nashville they are saying

Started by bobc, November 25, 2007, 02:08:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bobc

Rumor's in Nashville are that Vandy's head coach is being looked at by Arkansas I know a lot of people here will not like that Idea but I think he may be one of the best coaches in the SEC done more with less

Razorhio

I've always respected the job he's done there.  I'd prefer someone from a bigger/better program though. 

Razorback Ranger

bigyellowdog

Gotta find a way to get rid of Nutt first.

stlchiroHOG

another way that white is trying to turn us into VANDY

Dugann

hell NO.  I don't want him at all we can find a better one then that IMO.
By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

RazorNick

"A conversation took place between Nutt and White (I believe it was yesterday, but definately after the LSU game).  White asked Nutt about his intentions for the future.  Nutt told White he wanted his buyout and he was done."

redbarn

He has done more with less at Vanderbilt.........wait a minute, haven't I heard that somewhere before?
"I'm against the constitutionality of marriage in any way, shape, or form.  You may quote me......."  Rev Jerry Falwell

HotGrits

We can do better....yes he has done well with what he has but so has todd graham at tulsa, can't we just transplant that staff a few miles to the east
I\'m just a clever visual metaphor that personafies the concept of abstract thought.

SteelShot

Sounds like our Chancellor's dream hire. Maybe a good coach but would not be my first realistic choice.
"Dorothy Mantooth is a Saint!"

Nashville Fan

Bobby is a heck of a coach. I just don't think that it would fly in AR.
Pittman or Bust!

PorkerOinker

Quote from: Hog-fan-in-mizzou on November 25, 2007, 02:13:32 pm
"A conversation took place between Nutt and White (I believe it was yesterday, but definately after the LSU game).  White asked Nutt about his intentions for the future.  Nutt told White he wanted his buyout and he was done."

Source.
"America promises equal opportunity, not equal outcomes"-Paul Ryan

RazorNick

Fatty McGee

We would be lucky to get a coach of that caliber. 
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

Hawg_Heaven

Hey, I won't knock Vandy's coach! That guy was able to get some recruits and build a program at VANDY! No one has been able to do that. I still don't like it that he hasn't gotten them to a bowl game yet. Are they going to one this year?

LuckyGiraffe

If you want character, Bobby Johnson is your guy.  The man doesn't even allow his players to curse.  I remember some Vandy players talking about how long it took them to get used to having to keep their language in check.

Razorback Pastor

I am here in Nashville and I haven't heard anything about that.

bobc

Do you know anything about Vandy or about their coach?
You have to have a higher grade point average to attend Vandy then at any other SEC school so not only are they at best the 2nd school in the state, which means Tenn gets first choice of all instate talent they lose out on lots of guys that are only interested in college as a stepping stone to the pro's. Bobby Johnson is one hell of a coach and Yes he does more with less just ask any other SEC coach or player

jgphillips3

I am sure he is probably a decent head coach and he has done a fine job with Vandy's sub-par athletes.  However, he is probably more of a backup plan than a front runner.  I wouldn't doubt that UofA is talking to a LOT of people so they don't wind up back in the Gillespie situation.  I would be willing to wager they have a list with 3-5 first choice type guys and then 8-10 maybes.  Good for them if they do.  I would hate to have them putting all the eggs in one basket only to see it break again (even though it worked out with Coach Pel...we just got lucky there.)

RazorNick

Quote from: PorcineSublime on November 25, 2007, 02:21:02 pm
Not trying to call you out, but since you have that in quotes, one would assume it was an actual statement. If true, when did it come out?

I read it on another board.

hogballplayer30

woooo_pig

jimmur74

Quote from: bobc on November 25, 2007, 02:08:25 pm
Rumor's in Nashville are that Vandy's head coach is being looked at by Arkansas I know a lot of people here will not like that Idea but I think he may be one of the best coaches in the SEC done more with less

Well then they are saying "lies"

PorcineSublime

Quote from: Hog-fan-in-mizzou on November 25, 2007, 02:21:47 pm
Sorry I left and came back before hitting post. Sorry for the redunant post.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

GWFan

HotGrits

Hire Todd Graham and Gus comes with him.
I\'m just a clever visual metaphor that personafies the concept of abstract thought.

RazorNick

Quote from: HotGrits on November 25, 2007, 02:27:31 pm
Hire Todd Graham and Gus comes with him.

I could live with that, hire Orgeron as DC.

Oklahawg

Johnson would be a helluva hire. He would be out of the UA loop, an "outside" hire. No connections (that I know of) to UA boosters or admin. A fresh start, in other words.

He knows the territory. He knows the landscape and what it takes to win.

He knows what it means to win in RRS.   ;D
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

McDuck

IF YOU HEAR THE QUACK IT'S TOO LATE!

GWFan

Hire Gus, period.  If Gus wants to bring Todd as DC, great.

WilsonHog

Bobby Johnson is a heckuva coach. We could (and probably will) do much worse.

budcampbellfan

LSU hired a Vandy coach several years ago.  Didn't work.
"THE 'ARKANSAW RAZA'BACKS' ARE ON THE AIR!" - The late Bud Campbell at the beginning of each radio broadcast game.

hogsrbad

Do you people actually think that Gus would even be considered? Good Lord you people have lost your minds. 

bphi11ips

Quote from: stlchiroHOG on November 25, 2007, 02:11:57 pm
another way that white is trying to turn us into VANDY

I've been saying this for a while now.  White wants to deemphasize football.  Johnson won't be expected to win, just field a team.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

owl

You all must be talking about Nashville, Ar. No such talk in Music City
OWL says SUPPORT THE HOGS

HogPsych

Quote from: McDuck on November 25, 2007, 02:29:12 pm
Your a tool.   :P

I disagree.  A tool is what we already have.  I would take Tulsa's staff in a minute.  When is the last time you remember no talented Tulsa leading the nation in total offense?  Their schedule is weak, course ours was not ranked in the top 50 either, but their talent is weak too.  They actually outcoach people versus getting their team up for one or two times per year and then petering out and making excuses and blaming the players and "intranet" for your problems.

bobc

Quote from: owl on November 25, 2007, 02:37:40 pm
You all must be talking about Nashville, Ar. No such talk in Music City

I spent thanksgiving in the Music City and that is where I heard it?

42toddler

anybody would be better than what we have

owl

Quote from: bobc on November 25, 2007, 02:40:36 pm
I spent thanksgiving in the Music City and that is where I heard it?

I have a place here , so we must go to different bars.
OWL says SUPPORT THE HOGS

McDuck

Quote from: HogPsych on November 25, 2007, 02:38:31 pm
I disagree.  A tool is what we already have.  I would take Tulsa's staff in a minute.  When is the last time you remember no talented Tulsa leading the nation in total offense?  Their schedule is weak, course ours was not ranked in the top 50 either, but their talent is weak too.  They actually outcoach people versus getting their team up for one or two times per year and then petering out and making excuses and blaming the players and "intranet" for your problems.

Inside joke... :P :P :P :P :P ;) ;) ;) ;)
I agree excellent staff.
IF YOU HEAR THE QUACK IT'S TOO LATE!

imhogwild2

Bring back slobbering hog. Member Since 12/1/2006

HoopS

Nutt was darn lucky to split with his team.  He would be an upgrade all the way around.  Vandy always plays hard.  They usually have a tough D. 

All this with requirements that limit recruiting freedom. 

jrparrish

Quote from: Hog-fan-in-mizzou on November 25, 2007, 02:15:17 pm

haha ok.....and what board would that be? maybe a little more specific than "another board"??

hogfan064

Bobby Johnson also did very well as head coach at Furman prior to taking over Vandy.  Furman is one of the smallest 1-AA schools out there and is also a very tough academic institution.

Nashville Fan

November 25, 2007, 02:46:30 pm #44 Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 02:48:47 pm by Nashville Fan
Only place that I have heard it was on here.

Bobby Johnson publicly committed himself to a vision of the "student-athlete"—not just an athlete. This is something that White and Long are both deeply committed to.
However, firing someone who went 8-4 and hiring someone who went 5-7 makes about as much sense as firing some who went 4-7 in the toughest conference and hiring someone who went 4-7 in a lesser conference. Bobby also has a 50% overall winning percentage, I think it would be a tough sell. Don't get me wrong I think Bobby is 10x the coach that HDN is even with those stats. I just think the only way it would sell here is if he brought some huge time coordinators.
Pittman or Bust!

clarksville hog

Actually he would be a pretty hire. He has been at least competitive at VANDY. He already knows the SEC, has contacts for southern recruting, etc. We could do a lot worse (keeping HDN)

PorcineSublime

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 25, 2007, 02:36:22 pm
I've been saying this for a while now.  White wants to deemphasize football.  Johnson won't be expected to win, just field a team.
So you are saying the coach we have now is expected to win?  8)  Could we do better, maybe. Could we do alot worse, absolutley. I have no idea who has been contacted, but I can say that I will not march in protest if this hire is made.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

hogsrule44

does he say it are-kansas and looseanna

ballhog™

Sounds like the kind of hire John White would make.

I remember when another SEC school hired a Vandy coach because of getting Vandy almost .500.  I bet LSU still regrets that hire.
Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

prairiehogcompanion

I shudder at the collective lack of institutional self-esteem emanating from the Arkansas program right now.

The clock is ticking on the future of Arkansas football as we once knew it.

What happens  in the coming days will determine whether we live up to our potential and once again make being a Razoraback something to aspire to among our BEST football players in state.....or whether we recede permanently into the mediocre depths to which the program has descended.

This massively underachieving 4-4/ 8-4 season with splendid talent is MUCH better than what awaits us under the status quo.

Do the folks making these decisions even care?

Are they as inept as they appear?

Please, John White et al, prove me wrong.