Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why has Spurrier not brought success to South Carolina?

Started by reddierazorback, November 24, 2007, 09:12:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on November 25, 2007, 12:17:08 am
So I guess he should be fired then?

Bacon out...

Not my point, and no, not yet.  I do wonder how long he should be given.  If they show no real improvement next year, he should be done, imo.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

Quote from: Desperate Hog on November 24, 2007, 11:57:04 pm
More teams are using the spread offense and running more than using Spurrier's offense and pasing a lot (except TT and hawaii).  Spurrier's "fun N Gun" was innovative but they won because they had better athletes, not because of the system.  SC does not have those athletes, the depth, etc.,  He should get a couple more years but I don't think they will every be consistently a top 20 team.  too much competition in recruiting and playing those powers Georgia, tennessee and Florida every year, not to mention the rest of the SEC and Clemson. 

Yeah, I agree that is was not the system as much as the pure talent level. I remember a Nebraska team that just lined up and ran the ball at florida all day in the NC game and beat the piss out of them. The system was agressive and all, but really it was talent mixed with good coaching that won games more than the system they ran.

Darren DeLoach

i am with hogsanity on his last comment.

this team seems to have quit on spurrier.

if the gamecocks are treading water at the conclusion of next year, with the clemson game a must win to be bowl eligible, he would probably "resign".

the question should be, if texas a&m makes a viable offer, will the ole ball coach be at carolina long enough to see it change?
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

hogsanity

Quote from: semohawg on November 25, 2007, 12:30:43 am
i am with hogsanity on his last comment.

this team seems to have quit on spurrier.

if the gamecocks are treading water at the conclusion of next year, with the clemson game a must win to be bowl eligible, he would probably "resign".

the question should be, if texas a&m makes a viable offer, will the ole ball coach be at carolina long enough to see it change?

If Spurrier bolts on SC, they are done, they will never be anything but an occassional annoyance.  Spurrier leaving would indicate to other coaches that even Spurrier did not think he could win there, so why would any other coach think they could. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

carlyle513

It would take years and years to build the SC program, thats a tough place to win at.  Its a nice place to live and retire but no coach could go in there and compete for the MNC in just a few years.

Spurrier is a great coach, he didnt forget how to coach.  This is like Bob Knight at Texas Tech in BB.  Hes probably the best coach ever, why arent they winning NC's ? give me a break-hes working miracles just to get TT in the ncaa tourney every year.

hogsanity

Quote from: carlyle513 on November 25, 2007, 12:37:25 am
It would take years and years to build the SC program, thats a tough place to win at.  Its a nice place to live and retire but no coach could go in there and compete for the MNC in just a few years.

Spurrier is a great coach, he didnt forget how to coach.  This is like Bob Knight at Texas Tech in BB.  Hes probably the best coach ever, why arent they winning NC's ? give me a break-hes working miracles just to get TT in the ncaa tourney every year.

I dont think anyone is saying SC should have a NC already, but they are showing no improvement at all.  They have as many or more losses in all of Spurriers seasons than they did in the prior season to his taking over. 

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: hogsanity on November 25, 2007, 12:22:38 am
Not my point, and no, not yet.  I do wonder how long he should be given.  If they show no real improvement next year, he should be done, imo.

What if he has a top ten recruiting class, but the season goes like this:  Early season stumbles are corrected with a group of underclassmen who take over and buy into his system.  Spurrier wins against Clemson and a mid-range bowl game against Texas A&M to go 8-5 and fans are excited about the 2009 campaign?

Or let's say he has a number 25 recruiting class and loses all the big games (including Clemson) but wins the games he should to go 8-5 after winning a mid-tier bowl game against Florida Atlantic?

The end result is the same.  8-5.  A bowl win.

But at the end of the season people would be much more excited about the former scenario, depressed about the latter. 

You can't quantify whether or not a coach should be fired SOLELY on the record.  Even Nutt falls prey to this as his team this year lacks the hope and promise of Mustain, Williams and Malzahn and falls to 8-4.

Let's answer this question about Spurrier at the end of 2008.

Bacon out...

hogsanity

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on November 25, 2007, 12:42:36 am
What if he has a top ten recruiting class, but the season goes like this:  Early season stumbles are corrected with a group of underclassmen who take over and buy into his system.  Spurrier wins against Clemson and a mid-range bowl game against Texas A&M to go 8-5 and fans are excited about the 2009 campaign?

Or let's say he has a number 25 recruiting class and loses all the big games (including Clemson) but wins the games he should to go 8-5 after winning a mid-tier bowl game against Florida Atlantic?

The end result is the same.  8-5.  A bowl win.

But at the end of the season people would be much more excited about the former scenario, depressed about the latter. 

You can't quantify whether or not a coach should be fired SOLELY on the record.  Even Nutt falls prey to this as his team this year lacks the hope and promise of Mustain, Williams and Malzahn and falls to 8-4.

Let's answer this question about Spurrier at the end of 2008.

Bacon out...

I dont really care if he coaches at SC until 2028, I never did think he would win anything of consequenc while he was there, and I still dont.  I f they lose 5 again next year, I would say thats about long enough.

hogfanmatt72212

November 25, 2007, 12:54:52 am #58 Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 01:01:56 am by hogfanmatt72212
Quote from: reddierazorback on November 24, 2007, 09:12:47 pm
Just an interesting thought.  High powered coach in a program similar to ours but he has not made SC a perennial power like everyone has ecpected.  So if we were to get a coach like Spurrier would he do any better? 

My guess would be no.  for one i don't like how he throws his boys under the bus in front of the media and says stuff like " well, we can't trade any of 'em" etc. I'm not sure his boys like that.

Also, i remember when he was in the Nfl and had a game he was completely lamblasted for b/c he had the running backs and Line to win but continued  to throw it late and ended up getting beat. I dont' remember the circumstance or the opponent but he came under imense national criticism. I'm not sure he knows much about the running game.

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: hogsanity on November 25, 2007, 12:51:36 am
I dont really care if he coaches at SC until 2028, I never did think he would win anything of consequenc while he was there, and I still dont.  I f they lose 5 again next year, I would say thats about long enough.

Maybe...maybe not.  But to fire him based on your "belief" that he will not win anything of consequence just might be irresponsible management, don't you think?

Maybe he has lost his touch, maybe not.  But the fact remains it is the South Carolinians call to make, not ours.  I'm tired of us caring what others think about whether or not we let Nutt go yet all the while interjecting our opinions on other teams.  They know far better what is really going on behind the scenes about their programs than we do.  It is their call to make.

The atypical Gamecock fan doesn't have a clue what undercurrents are going on in our program that we are privy to, and they have little right to tell us how to handle it, and vice-versa.

Bacon out...

TMc

First of all, barring an 0-12/1-11/2-10 season or something miserably similar Spurrier will never be fired at South Carolina .., he has too big of a name.. and is a great coach.  However, I have always felt, and still do, that he will never build @ South Carolina what he did at Florida.  He was recruiting big time athletes over there.. and while he may get some at South Carolina - he will not fill out their roster like he did at Florida. 

I guess they're  kind of like Ole Miss in my eyes - I never think they are really ever going to be that good.

toshortrock

Toshortrock,,,,,,GO HOGS/////

HotGrits

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on November 25, 2007, 12:55:53 am
Maybe...maybe not.  But to fire him based on your "belief" that he will not win anything of consequence just might be irresponsible management, don't you think?

Maybe he has lost his touch, maybe not.  But the fact remains it is the South Carolinians call to make, not ours.  I'm tired of us caring what others think about whether or not we let Nutt go yet all the while interjecting our opinions on other teams.  They know far better what is really going on behind the scenes about their programs than we do.  It is their call to make.

The atypical Gamecock fan doesn't have a clue what undercurrents are going on in our program that we are privy to, and they have little right to tell us how to handle it, and vice-versa.

Bacon out...

nice
I\'m just a clever visual metaphor that personafies the concept of abstract thought.

ICEman

Just an interesting thought.  High powered coach in a program similar to ours but he has not made SC a perennial power like everyone has ecpected.  So if we were to get a coach like Spurrier would he do any better? 
He has that been there done that mentality.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

The NewEra

Winning teams are always made up of players who were use to winning in high school and always believe they are going to win.  Spurrier is having to recruit the talent and the winners and as others have mentioned, he doesn't have the same goods to sell in S.C. that he did in Florida.  It's going to take him a while to recruit these players in and then he has to establish the expectation to win.  He'll get there if he stays long enough.

bigredone

A coach should have 5 years to prove himself. If he cannot get it done by the time he has only his recruits it is time to move on.

Another problem that people have is they think that every situation is the same. I hate Nutt being at AR, but I really think he could do well elsewhere. Nutt is not the cure to what ails us, but might be just the right medicine for, say, Baylor. In fact, I think that he could be a super coach at an Ole Miss. roflmao

The NewEra

Nutt will be very successful anywhere where mediocrity is embraced as the standard for their program.  That's assuming he will still be allowed to play 3-4 lower tiered schools each season.

JTS90001

steve spurrier has brought success and is on the verge of finally having his players there. the reason for the lack of success as it pertains to championships is the fact that there has been sporadic play at quarterback. wait til next year>

reddierazorback

Quote from: JTS90001 on November 25, 2007, 08:10:13 am
steve spurrier has brought success and is on the verge of finally having his players there. the reason for the lack of success as it pertains to championships is the fact that there has been sporadic play at quarterback. wait til next year>

Could HDN not say the same thing?  (Year in and Year out)  Not really next year with all we will lose.
Go HOGS!

Fat Brantley

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on November 24, 2007, 09:29:47 pm
I can't speak for Razorhio, but should our next coach have similar results after 3 years, I'd say give him at least one more to put things together.  Spurrier buys the respect of adding a year or two to that simply because you know he has proven he can coach on the college level and win a national championship.

Every coach deserves a four year pass to get things together unless they simply bomb to the level of Ed Orgeron at Mississippi.

Bacon out...

That worked out well for us when we hired Danny Ford. Remember, he had a national championship on his resume.

Hawg-A-Licious

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on November 24, 2007, 09:29:47 pm
I can't speak for Razorhio, but should our next coach have similar results after 3 years, I'd say give him at least one more to put things together.  Spurrier buys the respect of adding a year or two to that simply because you know he has proven he can coach on the college level and win a national championship.

Every coach deserves a four year pass to get things together unless they simply bomb to the level of Ed Orgeron at Mississippi.

Bacon out...

Two years ago, HDN had more people saying "You have to give him another year, he just recruited the top QB in the nation." Well now, we see how that worked out.

BTW 2 Questions!!!

(1) David Lee makes all the bad calls (DMc up the middle) and HDN makes all the good ones (DMc up the middle for positive yardage) according to HDN's interviews after the game? Is that what we are supposed to believe?

(2) Can someone tell me (an idiot) how to put pictures in my signature?
Think about the great college coaches with quality wins... Jimmy Johnson, Pop Paterno, Lou Holtz, Bear Bryant, and others. Now, have you ever seen one of them scream so much incoherent crap in a post-game interview? Has one of them ever called out an individual ESPN announcer or local sportscaster on national television? While you are thinking about it and recall if one of them ever stole a megaphone from the cheerleaders and danced like a girl after a big win. NO, I remember those guys as people who won with class!

HEY HDN: Class is something more than you tell the players to skip!!!

HOGPICKER

Spurrier should be able to go anywhere in the country and steal a QB to play anywhere in the country.  If he can't, no one can.  10 yrs ago his offense was cutting edge.  He's behind now. Why he doesn't have the talent there is a mystery.  SC should be any easy place to recruit.  Their facilities and fan base are good enough.  Like Bacon, I want to see 2 more years, but he should be better now.
"Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."  Joe Theismann

Dr Swineglove

IMO, SC was a 4-5 year building project when Spurrier took over.  A team in the SEC-E has to be superb to be mediocre, when sharing a division with the likes of UF, UGA and UT.  USC plays second fiddle instate to Clemson, and apart from the stadium, their facilities were pretty second rate. 

Also, SC isn't near the recruiting hotbed Florida is.  Nevertheless, Spurrier has had some excellent recruiting classes - I expect USC to just get better and better - but I don't expect Spurrier to duplicate his UF success there.
Prefrontal lobotomies are not to be performed without the written consent of the patient

coach, my back hurts

Inconsistant QB play.

If they had a decent QB they would have won 7 or 8 games this yr.  Smelley is young and could be the guy for the future.  If they continue recruiting and Smelley progresses, SC will be good for yrs to come. 

However, they'll always have at least 2 loses to UG and UF.  Those 2 schools are on top of things.  It'll be back to the same ole Kentucky next yr once Woodson leaves.  Vandy is always terrible.  Tennessee wont be as good without Ainge.  If Smelley can have a good yr next yr, SC needs to jump while the getting is good.

And the fact that ARK will be worse after 10yrs of Nutt and SC will be better after only 3yrs of Spurrier says enough for me.

Toad Suck Pork

He's in a tough place to win.

Also, I think everyone thinks about the Spurrier from 10-15 years ago at Florida and remembers what a giant he was.  In reality, college football has caught up to his offensive innovations, and he's no longer a "genius" when compared to a lot of the new coaches today.

IronHog

SS is just like JFB.  He is not as effective as he was a decade or two ago because he has not changed his style of football to adapt to the evolution ebb and flow of the game.

Spurrier was on the cutting edge at Florida helping with recruiting.  Now kids want to play in the spread and other cutting edge offenses not the same 'ol thing from 15 years ago.

SS is past his prime and will struggle to reach past success.  It has little to do with the school he is currently coaching.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.