Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Discussion about Malzahn as HC [merged threads]

Started by JJHog, November 23, 2007, 08:19:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

JJHog

2 years out of HIGH SCHOOL , can he put together a top notch staff?
Doesn't Pellini  or Venables have many more connections to get a much better staff?
" Think Right, Do Right"

clew

He may not be the best "right now" hire, but I sure would hate to miss the boat...AGAIN.  For crying out loud, how many whiffs do we have on big names before they were big names?  It is just asinine that we passed on Jimmy Johnson, Butch Davis, Pete Carroll, et. al.  Mark my words, if we pass on this opportunity we will long regret it.  We may never get another opportunity.  I think he would take the job if offered.  What an awesome way to thump HDN on the ear.

My name is Chris Lewis (Bartlesville, OK via Pine Bluff --> Fayetteville --> Austin).  I support Gus for head coach. 
UA 1998 CHEG
Pure as the dawn

hog85

Why waste your time? Gus is not getting the job!!!!

Hugulus Hog

Quote from: JJHog on November 23, 2007, 08:19:21 am
Doesn't Pellini  or Venables have many more connections to get a much better staff?

Agreed.  No way he can attract competant assistants, much less top notch talent.

Kevin

i said this before.

with the coaching alumni tree, jimmy johnson, barry switzer, butch davis, even jerry jones, gus could pick up the phone and have a list of qualified candidates.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

holman24

Gus is a winner at every school he has gone to and this is the time to hire him back and make up for what happened to him last year.

fanofthehog

count me in, I would love to see Gus get the job!

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Rascal

Quote from: Kevin on November 23, 2007, 08:25:53 am
i said this before.

with the coaching alumni tree, jimmy johnson, barry switzer, butch davis, even jerry jones, gus could pick up the phone and have a list of qualified candidates.

Excellent point

hogus maximus

All non-believers stand aside in fear! A new day marches through the dawn!!

Hugulus Hog

Benton High School thought he was a good hire too...

little hog

Quote from: Hugulus Hog on November 23, 2007, 08:25:07 am
Agreed.  No way he can attract competant assistants, much less top notch talent.

I think you are wrong.  He's a proven winner at any level.  He can pull in good assistants - just like recruiting.  I think he would be an excellent coach for the U of A.

ich bin schwein

November 23, 2007, 08:32:44 am #13 Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 08:44:22 am by ich bin schwein
I support the Hogs first last and foremost.  I'm tired of seeing people passed by that "aren't ready" but somehow are ready to win National champeenships at other schools.  Get Gus!

Spencer Scarbrough  BA '90

The Hawg Marshal

You'd be surprised how many connections Gus has in the college ranks. I'm not saying he should get the job but it shouldn't be because of that. The ONLY reason in my opinion that Gus would not be the best hire is because the Huggers will be after him from the second he is announced. We'd still have a devided fan base. All the other concerns to me are baseless.

Lake City Hog

Man, some of you people are so dumb, the head coach doesn't attract top assistants, MONEY attracts top assistants.

Hugulus Hog

I guess the good news is that our current assistants will still be under contract.  So with Herring, Markuson and Shibest still under contract, gus wouldn't have to start from scratch.  Sure let's hire him while we've still got our current assistants.

Lake City Hog

Add my name to the roster of Gus Supporters!!!!!!!!

big john

i am in ill take gus ovr nutt boy any day . :)
john goodwin

"Pickled" Pig's Pete

Anyone who knows Gus knows he has one of the best football minds in the country.  They also know that Gus does his research.  That being said, if Gus were given the job, which I personally doubt, I don't think he would have a problem in putting together a top notch staff.

The staff that Gus would put together might not be filled with a lot of the big name coaches from around the country, but I would guarantee you that all of the coaches would be similar to Gus: intelligent, hard-working, detail oriented, and innovative.  He would probably target some of the best coaches in Division 1AA and lower, being able to offer them a chance to coach in D1 and make more money.

All great coaches have to start somewhere, but the one thing they all have in common is they tend to migrate to other great coaches.  Gus is going to be a great coach (already is on a lot of levels), so I think he could build a great staff.
Quote from: salebow on November 27, 2011, 08:39:55 pm
It made be a forum, but spelling and punctuation tell a lot about a person. Also, I usually post from my iPhone, too. I don't have a problem with using good spelling and punctuation.

claycohog

just what we need a high school coach that  leaves when he can't handle the pressure of sec

ich bin schwein

Quote from: claycohog on November 23, 2007, 08:41:47 am
just what we need a high school coach that  leaves when he can't handle the pressure of sec
He could handle the pressure of the SEC, he couldn't handle the disrespect of his employer.  He shouldn't have to nor should anyone else.

clew

GUys, if you're comfortable, put your real name along with your support.  I will condense it after the fact and see if we can get it to someone that matters.
Pure as the dawn

clew

Our team sure was a lot better when he was here.
Pure as the dawn

rude1

Can't go along with this one guys. This would be a huge reach for a HC at a major school in a major conference. Gus simply hasn't proven anything at the college level at this point in his college coaching career. I know this would be the perfect story book hire if it was to work, unfortunately this isn't a story book, it's the best conference in the nation and you don't bring in a guy who is two years removed from high school, and hasn't proven that he can, number one recruit and number two coach consistently at this level. Gus needs to pay his dues and prove himself like every other coach does before he is handed the reigns of major D1 program.

duroc

Wasn't he named OC of the year?  How can you say he left due to the pressure of the SEC?  You really believe Nutt had nothing to do with him leaving?

Doc Holiday

you mean we havn't called him yet? Maybe we could make a trade

Albert Einswine

No one seemed to mind that El Dorko was wet behind the ears and arrived with his merry little band of sycophants that have remained attached to him like a school of lampreys.

Why the sudden concern that Gus couldn't get top assistants?
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

sowsmilk

Hire Gus

If he won't take it, hire Leach.

Air it out baby!

big john

john goodwin searcy arkansas 8) i am for gus 100% 35 year hawg fan ill take gus over nutt the clown an day he would work his tail off for this job .
john goodwin

GWFan

I support Gus as Headcoach.  I have no doubt he's not only up to the challenge, but believe he would take the UofA football program to national prominence.

markmchog

Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. - Thomas Paine, 1776

GWFan

If that's your true perception then well, NM.

GrumpyHog

I spent 14 yrs coaching High School football. I learned defense from Tommy T when he was at Ark State. In my opinion, Gus is ready to be a H.C.  Putting together a staff won't be a problem.

hogfan47

Gus has my support 

Carl Martin        Fort Smith   Arkansas
C L martin

Fort Smith Ark    

start the healing process now

Hoot72

With Louis Campbell in the football operations office, OR, even, on the field -- there is a ready pipeline to some of the best assistants in the business!

HogLard

When Gus was hired last year and the "Springdale Boys " came with him I had never seen so much enthusiasm in the Razorback Nation in over 40 years .

The start of all the MAJOR dissension happened at this time . It has continued and the fan base is totally disgusted at the PTB .

Hiring Gus at this time would be the GREATEST thing they could do . Making his hire a success would be up to the fans . Every Razorback fan should make a self imposed pledge to give him at least 5 years to reach his potential . We all know how out side pressure can affect our program . I am one that believes that Gus will some day be a LEGEND in coaching history . Lets all make this pledge to help it happen here at the University of Arkansas . HogLard   

ich bin schwein

Quote from: rude1 on November 23, 2007, 08:44:33 am
Can't go along with this one guys. This would be a huge reach for a HC at a major school in a major conference. Gus simply hasn't proven anything at the college level at this point in his college coaching career. I know this would be the perfect story book hire if it was to work, unfortunately this isn't a story book, it's the best conference in the nation and you don't bring in a guy who is two years removed from high school, and hasn't proven that he can, number one recruit and number two coach consistently at this level. Gus needs to pay his dues and prove himself like every other coach does before he is handed the reigns of major D1 program.
He has nothing to prove to anyone.  OC of the year 2006, #1 offensive production 2007.  Let's not miss out again.  These opportunities don't always happen when we're ready for them to, sometimes they just happen.

Razor_back

I support Gus for coach like I support finding the cure for aids. I want it to happen, but Im not holding breath.
Go Hogs

GWFan

Yea, it  would be hard to top guys like David Lee, Danny Nutt and James Shibest.

Porkatarian

Quote from: Hugulus Hog on November 23, 2007, 08:25:07 am

Could the staff he puts together, be any worse than the MSM?

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

Blue35

bigyellowdog

Quote from: GWFan on November 23, 2007, 08:56:51 am
Yea, it  would be hard to top guys like David Lee, Danny Nutt and James Shibest.

don't forget about Chris Vaughn.

TennesseeRaz

Yes.  This would restore my enthusiasm for the Hogs.

Razorback Ranger

badbrad

Hire Gus Malzahn!!!

My name is Brad Lindley and I approve this message..........

usnavyhogfan

The dream is free, the journey is not.

GWFan

November 23, 2007, 09:02:39 am #49 Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 09:22:07 am by GWFan
Quote from: JJHog on November 23, 2007, 08:19:21 am
Did you know that Urban Myer for a few years now has owned/read Gus' book?  Not only that, but last year Urban said that he had incorporated some of the philosopy from that book into his own National Championship team.
Lot's of college coaches have bought Gus "HIGH SCHOOL" Malzahn's book.
He is not an unknown with no clout.

So a resounding YES!  He will have no problems putting together a very competent staff.