Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can you and will you support Mike Leach

Started by Coondog Hog, November 23, 2007, 01:41:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Coondog Hog

No sources just a feeling after reading some of the other posts on here tonight.  Can we support Leach and his style of football at AR.  It would definitely be a style of football Hog fans have never seen from our side of the fence.

'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.'
  - Ronald Reagan

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -
-Ronald Reagan
Quote from: mmhogs17 on March 08, 2011, 11:02:18 pm
I've had alot of things in and out of my butt, but never Monkeys..

Nate-Hawg

November 23, 2007, 02:03:38 am #1 Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 02:05:53 am by nate8406
I don't think so. It would be difficult for me. I think we are all hoping for less mistakes, a better defense and a much more balanced offense than he offers or we currently have. It would be a definate change, but all in all we would probably find ourselves in the same situation as we are in today.

usnavyhogfan

i wouldnt be too optimistic about the hire, only because we would be trading one, one dimensional offense for another. but who knows maybe he would balance it out. i would take him over nutt anyday though.
The dream is free, the journey is not.

Nate-Hawg

November 23, 2007, 02:14:16 am #3 Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 02:16:42 am by nate8406
Weirdo!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqRz9gQfYr8&feature=related

We'd be trading one Nutt for another.

usnavyhogfan

The dream is free, the journey is not.

Rockhawg

If he would hire a top notch DC i could live with it til we were able to get an experienced Malzahn.

Kilgor

I don't want him, but would support him for a minimum of 4 years. 

If he wins, I don't care how.
Northwest Arkansas gardening and critter raising:

http://www.backyardfreshfoods.com/

Oliver

RebelliousHog

If ML is able to bring in coaches who can coach DEFENSE with his O ,then I have no prob.
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

navyhog24

if he wins, then i can live with it. as long as the drama is over with and no more code reds are called and any other embarrassment comes to the program, then i can live with it.

im not saying he'd be my top choice. as long as he wins and brings integrity to the program, then i can support him.

Nate-Hawg

Well I would support Wolfgang Puck if he won us enough football games. C'mon guys. I think what Coondog is asking is if we would support the decision to hire him.

VenturaHog

We also have to figure he is doing what he can at TTech, his gameplan would probably be a bit different here in the SEC.

He is by far the smarter of the two when comparing him to nutt. I wouldn't like the hire but we could do much worse.

ntubjr

yankee233

He is better than Nutt.  Leach is coaching in Lubbock, have you ever been there?  Pretty good job considering what he has to work with and he did not throw the ball that much while he was at OU.  So what if we throw the ball alot more next year, we are not going to have a running back. There is not alot of difference between a sweep and a dump pass in the flat.  It is very hard to recruit  a kid to go to Lubbock.  Odessa, Midland, Amarillo and Lubbock are the only large cities that are close and the talent there is minimal.   Arkansas is a step above Texas Tech and Leach should recruit better here than Nutt, of course that is not saying much.  Nutt is gone to Baylor if they will take him back .  He was offered the job 2 weeks ago and accepted and then backed out because he thought he could do better.  Good thing Singletary said no.

djgaffer

I hate Leach's style.  I don't think it's the way to play championship football.  It's glorified 7 on 7 with pads.

But if it were to happen, I would be there, calling the Hogs.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Coondog Hog on November 23, 2007, 01:41:47 am
No sources just a feeling after reading some of the other posts on here tonight.  Can we support Leach and his style of football at AR.  It would definitely be a style of football Hog fans have never seen from our side of the fence.

Do I want to see him at Arkansas? No. If he were offered and accepted, would I support him? Sure, it isn't like anyone is calling me and wanting to know who I think they should hire. I mean, we gave Nutt a chance and supported him, why not support Leach or whomever they hire? But Leach wouldn't even be on my list of potential hires.
Go Hogs Go!

Boardon Hamsay

Given what we have right now, I would give Leach a chance.  Like many Hogvillians, my concern would be the potential lack of balance with the running game and defense.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

Dugann

if he is our next coach yep.... pass pass pass but better then run run run imo.
By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

grayhawg

Kevin

i would support him, hopefully he would be able to recruit better talent on both sides of the ball than he does in lubbock.

making his offense real dangerous.

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Albert Einswine

I'll support the next coach for a reasonable number of years, just like I did Houston Nutt, unless it turns out to be a total train wreck like Bill Callahan at Nebraska.

I wouldn't want Leach in my top 4 if I were pulling the trigger, but obviously none of us are making the decision.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

WilsonHog

He's not who I want, but I would support him until he gave me a reason not to based on on-field performance or off-field activities.

And that would take a minimum of three years to play itself out.

Buck Ocean

I think we a state as big as Texas, kids just don't grow up wanting to be Red Raiders.  I can see how if a quality running back is givin a choice between Texas, Tech, A&M, or TCU they may choose a place that is going to run the football a little more.  In Arkansas, a running back grows up wanting to be a Hog.  Not an Indian, Zebra or Wonderboy.  I think Leach will get the running back he wants for his offense in Arkansas.  Most of the kids grow up playing somewhat of a spread now days in Arkansas high school. 

1. I'll agree with one guy who said I'll give him 3 or 4 years.
2. I would like to see a successful defense
3. I would like to see recruiting go up a notch.

Nutt's recruiting ranking explained:  We are consistently in the 22-29 range in football.  However, if you go back and look closely, most of the ranking is due to running backs and offensive linemen.  We rarely get a 4 star defensive tackle, wide receiver or defensive back.  If Leach improves in those areas, he will succeed.

Think like a Jedi

Kevin

the 4 star defensive lineman never panned out.

bledsoe, shavers- naming two
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

grayhawg

Wilson would a stunt like he pulled blasting the officials then paying his fine in pennies stop your support? I think this guy is not playing with a full deck.

I think we all feel that way sometimes but to actually do it will not get you any favors from the league.

WilsonHog

Quote from: grayhawg on November 23, 2007, 07:28:26 am
Wilson would a stunt like he pulled blasting the officials then paying his fine in pennies stop your support? I think this guy is not playing with a full deck.

I think we all feel that way sometimes but to actually do it will not get you any favors from the league.

That wouldn't bother me.

But there is absolutely no question that he is a different sort of cat.

jfb4ever

Some of his interviews remind me of a NUTT?????

Michael Porkleone

Quote from: Albert Einswine on November 23, 2007, 07:13:08 am
I'll support the next coach for a reasonable number of years, just like I did Houston Nutt, unless it turns out to be a total train wreck like Bill Callahan at Nebraska.

I wouldn't want Leach in my top 4 if I were pulling the trigger, but obviously none of us are making the decision.

I still can't believe Nebraska is doing SO bad under Callahan - I thought he would bring that team back - also, he was one of the hottest names wanting to get back into college coaching when he was hired.

very surprising. 
Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

LuckyGiraffe

Just think who he recruits behind...

Texass
OU
OSU
A&M

He is usually in the same position that Arkansas is when trying to recruit in Texas, behind those other schools.  I think his recruiting would actually get better if he came to Arkansas.  We have quite a bit of instate talent, if we had a coach that actually wanted those players.

He would not be my choice, but I would definitely support him for 4 years.  I think you have to allow him 4 years, because he would be installing a totally different style of play.  I would however want him to have the authority to spend big $$$ to get a top notch DC.

booogaga

no , we will go from running all of the time to passing all of the time.
GO HOGS!

hoglady

Yes
Not who I want, BUT any coach deserves fan support at the beginning.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Albert Einswine

Quote from: booogaga on November 23, 2007, 07:58:03 am
no , we will go from running all of the time to passing all of the time.

I'm tired of running all the time.  In my 32 years of Arkansas football it's all we've ever really done.

I want balance, but if the only choices are between running all the time or passing all the time...... I'll roll the dice with passing just to see what it looks like.

Who knows?  Maybe we'll be better off.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

hogfan160

GRIMMHOG

Yes, anything but 1930's option football.
Embrace the Pain

bigyellowdog

I am ready to support almost anyone other than Nutt.  I would be supportive of him--however  feel he would be on a short leash.  He may just be a temporary solution, though.  I think Leach will probably be better at building a fence for a few seasons, at least. 

Coondog Hog

Good responses guys I hope that if Leach is their choice we can all cool off for a while and unite as a fan base for a while.  Any coach walking into the next two years schedules here at AR will need at leasat 4 years to get his program lined out.  It will be a bit of a tough row for any coach to hoe at first.  I am not for being one deminsional still, but JFB ball is all we have known for 50 yrs, If it comes down to run all the time or pass all the time I would like o see something new for a while too.

'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.'
  - Ronald Reagan

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -
-Ronald Reagan
Quote from: mmhogs17 on March 08, 2011, 11:02:18 pm
I've had alot of things in and out of my butt, but never Monkeys..

Albert Einswine

Quote from: Coondog Hog on November 23, 2007, 08:23:47 am
Good responses guys I hope that if Leach is their choice we can all cool off for a while and unite as a fan base for a while.  Any coach walking into the next two years schedules here at AR will need at leasat 4 years to get his program lined out.  It will be a bit of a tough row for any coach to hoe at first.  I am not for being one deminsional still, but JFB ball is all we have known for 50 yrs, If it comes down to run all the time or pass all the time I would like o see something new for a while too.

Coondog,  you have grown a lot in the course of this football season.  I commend you, sir. 

Hugulus Hog

If it turns out that Leach has a grandparent living in Arkansas, then this entire board will welcome him with open arms.

HawgWyld

Quote from: usnavyhogfan on November 23, 2007, 02:12:42 am
i wouldnt be too optimistic about the hire, only because we would be trading one, one dimensional offense for another. but who knows maybe he would balance it out. i would take him over nutt anyday though.
Yep. Leach would be the "lesser of two evils" choice, for sure. It's hard to get excited about him, but at least he's not that darned Houston.

The Hawg Marshal

He's sure not my 1st choice.  But I will support the next coach, no matter who it is. The Hog Nation does not need to be divided anymore.

big john

john goodwin

ich bin schwein

On Mike and Mike today their opinion (Sean Salisbury and some other guy subbing for the 2 mikes) was that he should have to be at or near the top of everyone's list.  Their reasons:  takes less recruited players and turns them into stars; his offense cannot be stopped; at a good school with blue chip talent on d- he would produce championship level teams.  I would prefer Gus personally, I think Leach is going to cost more than we're willing to pay, with similar results after a one or two year learning curve.

Lake City Hog

My first response would be NO! But, if he is hired I think we owe it to him to support him until he proves that he can't get the job done. I would hope that he would get better on defense.

pigmania

Quote from: nate8406 on November 23, 2007, 02:14:16 am
Weirdo!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqRz9gQfYr8&feature=related

We'd be trading one Nutt for another.
At least he has interests and hobbies outside of football. Our coach's only hooby is to harrass players he and the posse don't like.

taintlint

PearlHarbor

Yes.
Recruiting offensive players would be at an all time high.
I'm pretty sure he'd like to have a good defense. We could give him 300 grand for a great DC.
There are always good runningbacks in arkansas. Leach will use them.

hogtusk

Quote from: Hugulus Hog on November 23, 2007, 08:26:40 am
If it turns out that Leach has a grandparent living in Arkansas, then this entire board will welcome him with open arms.
LOL +1
Life is full of uncertainty, but I could be wrong about that.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

cmakrzrbak

I'll support the new coach whether I personally like the hire or not. 

He'll have to lose my support on the field.  I truly hope this doesn't happen.
"You've got to give a little love to those who love to live"

Philip Lynott

LuckyGiraffe

I'm surprised that Huggers (AKA the 'real fans') would not be in support of whoever the new coach will be???  I thought they just loved whoever was in charge. ;)