Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rotnei Clarke ( Basket Ball)

Started by Rod6275, November 21, 2007, 12:31:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BradyHolzhauer

What radio station can I get this on in southeast Arkansas?

razorbackfan4life

Hogphilia

Quote from: okiehawg on November 21, 2007, 02:53:31 pm
Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on November 21, 2007, 02:51:54 pm
Quote from: TennesseeRaz on November 21, 2007, 02:13:32 pm
Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on November 21, 2007, 02:10:37 pm
saw some youtube vids on the kid. i'm sure he can shoot but looks like he'll need lots of screens to get his shot off

first impression, i'm thinking more canon whitby than jj reddick

No way, I NEVER saw Cannon Whitby drive the lane, get fouled and sink the shot.  Rotnei did it several times in that one video clip to a lean fellow who was at least 4 inches taller than him.

that's because you never saw cannon whitby in high school average around 40+ points (including many points driving the lane and getting fouled)...the SEC however is another animal

A lot of these kids in HS will never play against another D-1 prospect in a HS game until they actually reach college.  Take Clarke for instance, I would say this year he will play against, at the most, 6 D-1 prospects, depending on how they do in the Tournament of Champions.

I don't know how many D1 prospects that Rotnei has played against but that doesn't really matter to me....There is a good reason that Rotnei was recruited my Gonzaga, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas, Kentucky, ORU, Arkansas, Marquette, Missouri State, and 22 others...I would say that the Sutton's know a little about basketball talent....Pelphrey seems to know quite a bit about basketball so I trust his judgement that Rotnei is the real deal....I have seen him play - pretty amazing.

hawgfandude

okiehawg

Quote from: Hogphilia on November 21, 2007, 08:36:24 pm
saw some youtube vids on the kid. i'm sure he can shoot but looks like he'll need lots of screens to get his shot off

No way, I NEVER saw Cannon Whitby drive the lane, get fouled and sink the shot.  Rotnei did it several times in that one video clip to a lean fellow who was at least 4 inches taller than him.

that's because you never saw cannon whitby in high school average around 40+ points (including many points driving the lane and getting fouled)...the SEC however is another animal

A lot of these kids in HS will never play against another D-1 prospect in a HS game until they actually reach college.  Take Clarke for instance, I would say this year he will play against, at the most, 6 D-1 prospects, depending on how they do in the Tournament of Champions.

I don't know how many D1 prospects that Rotnei has played against but that doesn't really matter to me....There is a good reason that Rotnei was recruited my Gonzaga, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas, Kentucky, ORU, Arkansas, Marquette, Missouri State, and 22 others...I would say that the Sutton's know a little about basketball talent....Pelphrey seems to know quite a bit about basketball so I trust his judgement that Rotnei is the real deal....I have seen him play - pretty amazing.

Once again, I didn't say he was overrated or wouldn't be a great college player, I said there are parts of his game that I worry about, mainly he defensive ability and his ability to get open. 

Hogphilia

Quote from: okiehawg on November 21, 2007, 08:47:55 pm

Once again, I didn't say he was overrated or wouldn't be a great college player, I said there are parts of his game that I worry about, mainly he defensive ability and his ability to get open. 

His defense is not the best but man he can fill it up on the offensive end and I think his defense will get better.  He is a hard worker and will improve that part of his game.  He MAKES 500 3 point shots each day....I said MAKES not SHOOTS....

three

KTUL in Tulsa is having Clark sign live on their 10pm news.  KTUL is KATV's sister station, and KATV will pick it up live at 10, FYI.

He's averaging something like 37ppg, and is listed as the #14 PG in the country.  His final 3 are Arkansas, Oral Roberts, and I believe Oklahoma State.
Worrying is like a rocking chair...it gives you something to do, but you don't get anywhere.

stopthebs

I hope he signs with the Hogs...solid, solid player

stronguard

I haven't had the privilege of seeing the young man play.  For those who have seen him play in person, would you describe him as a Scotty Thurman type player? 
If you don't know, now you know.

Chief Idiot of the Tavern

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.

okiehawg

Quote from: stronguard on November 21, 2007, 09:10:36 pm
I haven't had the privilege of seeing the young man play.  For those who have seen him play in person, would you describe him as a Scotty Thurman type player? 

I have seen him play several times and my thoughts are that he is a pure shooter.  He can fill it up from anywhere on the court.  With that being said, he is also more of a set shooter, I don't know what kind of ability he is going to have to create his own shot.  Dribbling and defense I would give him an average rating on both.  He is listed as 6'0, but I think he may be shorter than that.

Quote from: Hogphilia on November 21, 2007, 08:56:38 pm

His defense is not the best but man he can fill it up on the offensive end and I think his defense will get better.  He is a hard worker and will improve that part of his game.  He MAKES 500 3 point shots each day....I said MAKES not SHOOTS....

What else does he work on everyday?

Hogphilia

No, he is more like Pat Bradley...and a little like Al Dillard in that he shoots better with players hanging off of him pulling his clothes down.

arcowboy

Hogphilia

Quote from: okiehawg on November 21, 2007, 09:13:57 pm

I have seen him play several times and my thoughts are that he is a pure shooter.  He can fill it up from anywhere on the court.  With that being said, he is also more of a set shooter, I don't know what kind of ability he is going to have to create his own shot.  Dribbling and defense I would give him an average rating on both.  He is listed as 6'0, but I think he may be shorter than that.

I don't know what he works on every day...but 30 - 40 points a game would make up for a little bit of weakness on defense don't you think?

okiehawg

Quote from: Hogphilia on November 21, 2007, 09:22:21 pm

I don't know what he works on every day...but 30 - 40 points a game would make up for a little bit of weakness on defense don't you think?

30-40 ppg in 3A basketball in Oklahoma does not = anything close to that in the SEC.  Look at it like this, in the Tournament of Champions, a tourney in December for the top teams in the state, Verdigris got rocked in all three of their games.  I was there scouting one of the teams playing against Clarke.  After seeing this, I started worrying that he will struggle defensively at the next level.  After seeing him play several other times, I still feel the same way.  His height also worries me.  Do I think he has the potential to be great, yes.  Do I think it is automatic, no, it will take sometime.  I do hope he becomes a hog though because if he does wind up being something special I want him on the Hill.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: okiehawg on November 21, 2007, 02:15:32 pm
Quote from: opineonswine on November 21, 2007, 02:13:04 pm
IF he chooses us, I WILL BE ABSOLUTELY THRILLED because I know John Pelphrey will be thrilled.

Let me go ahead and make this clear now, I am not saying I won't be happy if he signs with us.  I just have ?'s about him.  I hope he becomes a great player for the U of A, I am just stating my impressions from seeing him play in person.

like i have said before, he had over 30 offers with Kentucky, Gonzaga, Marquette, OKlahoma, OKlahoma state, Kansas etc etc

Coach Pelphrey knows a thing or two about basketball too.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: okiehawg on November 21, 2007, 09:34:13 pm

30-40 ppg in 3A basketball in Oklahoma does not = anything close to that in the SEC.  Look at it like this, in the Tournament of Champions, a tourney in December for the top teams in the state, Verdigris got rocked in all three of their games.  I was there scouting one of the teams playing against Clarke.  After seeing this, I started worrying that he will struggle defensively at the next level.  After seeing him play several other times, I still feel the same way.  His height also worries me.  Do I think he has the potential to be great, yes.  Do I think it is automatic, no, it will take sometime.  I do hope he becomes a hog though because if he does wind up being something special I want him on the Hill.

when you watch him play, notice he is in CONSTANT motion. Never ever stands still until he gets to the free shot line.

He had around 30 against OC millwood. Millwood had a couple really good basketball players. One went to Tennessee as a wideout, the other went to Texas Tech as a wideout.

There is a reason all those schools including Kentucky, Kansas, and Gonzaga wanted him.

okiehawg

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on November 21, 2007, 09:39:13 pm

when you watch him play, notice he is in CONSTANT motion. Never ever stands still until he gets to the free shot line.

He had around 30 against OC millwood. Millwood had a couple really good basketball players. One went to Tennessee as a wideout, the other went to Texas Tech as a wideout.

There is a reason all those schools including Kentucky, Kansas, and Gonzaga wanted him.

I am glad your brought up Millwood because I talked about Gerald Jones, the guy at Tenn., earlier.  That is an athlete, compared to him, Clarke is above average.  Is that good enough?  I hope so, if he were 6'5'' I wouldn't be saying a thing, but considering he is a stretch at 6'0'', that is what worries me.  Also, did you see that Millwood game?

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: okiehawg on November 21, 2007, 09:45:16 pm
Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on November 21, 2007, 09:39:13 pm

I am glad your brought up Millwood because I talked about Gerald Jones, the guy at Tenn., earlier.  That is an athlete, compared to him, Clarke is above average.  Is that good enough?  I hope so, if he were 6'5'' I wouldn't be saying a thing, but considering he is a stretch at 6'0'', that is what worries me.  Also, did you see that Millwood game?

no but Ive seen others

He may be only 6'0 but i guarantee kansas, oklahoma, oklahoam state, marquette, kentucky wouldnt care about the height if he committed to them.

we could definitly use him this year

okiehawg

My point, and I think I stated this earlier, againt Millwood, he probably shot around 30%.  That was the game that they were eliminated from the state tournament, they dogged him into taking a lot of bad shots. 

PearlHarbor

Nobody gives a crap.

It's football season. Wait till next week.

leavenworth1

Besides shooting, does he have any more potential than Shawn McCurdy had?  It's easy to see that Clarke is not very tall or athletic. He's going to struggle against a quick 6'2'' point guard.  I hope he signs with us, but I'm not getting my hopes up.  I think Pat Bradley was taller than 6 foot, no?   I'm expecting a slightly better version of McCurdy. 

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: okiehawg on November 21, 2007, 09:52:18 pm
My point, and I think I stated this earlier, againt Millwood, he probably shot around 30%.  That was the game that they were eliminated from the state tournament, they dogged him into taking a lot of bad shots. 

good thing for us is he doesnt have to be the man here next season.

Courtney Fortson, Patrick Beverly, or Mike Washington will be the stars next year.

Drs have also said he isnt done growing

hognelson

Quote from: leavenworth1 on November 21, 2007, 09:53:46 pm
Besides shooting, does he have any more potential than Shawn McCurdy had?  It's easy to see that Clarke is not very tall or athletic. He's going to struggle against a quick 6'2'' point guard.  I hope he signs with us, but I'm not getting my hopes up.  I think Pat Bradley was taller than 6 foot, no?   I'm expecting a slightly better version of McCurdy. 
I would hope he would be a vastly better version of McCurdy.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: leavenworth1 on November 21, 2007, 09:53:46 pm
Besides shooting, does he have any more potential than Shawn McCurdy had?  It's easy to see that Clarke is not very tall or athletic. He's going to struggle against a quick 6'2'' point guard.  I hope he signs with us, but I'm not getting my hopes up.  I think Pat Bradley was taller than 6 foot, no?   I'm expecting a slightly better version of McCurdy. 

ive heard this mccurdy BS comparison.

you have no idea

hogsrule44

Quote from: PearlHarbor on November 21, 2007, 09:53:45 pm
Nobody gives a crap.

alot of people give a crap.. football is over untill we get a new coach.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Nobody gives a crap.

football season ended after the 3rd loss to auburn.

lots of people give a crap about this recruit

okiehawg

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on November 21, 2007, 09:54:32 pm
Quote from: okiehawg on November 21, 2007, 09:52:18 pm

good thing for us is he doesnt have to be the man here next season.

Courtney Fortson, Patrick Beverly, or Mike Washington will be the stars next year.

Drs have also said he isnt done growing

If he would grow more, it would be a plus, he grew around 3 inches from his freshman year to his junior year so we will just have to see.

riccoar

leavenworth1

November 21, 2007, 10:01:04 pm #79 Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 10:04:08 pm by leavenworth1
Okay, HOgan, convince me.  When I see him, I see a relatively short, non-athletic shooter with good bball IQ. 

okiehawg

He will announce in 25 minutes.

I don't think McCurdy was a prolific scorer by any stretch of the imagination in high school.  I could be wrong but I don't think I am.

riccoar

missippihog

Quote from: opineonswine on November 21, 2007, 10:09:15 pm
Nobody gives a crap.

You couldn't be more wrong.  I could care less about football until DMW is GONE.

He is. You didn't get the memo?

JoyDivision

Nobody gives a crap.

Why don't you just speak for yourself.

SwinedMelon

Nobody gives a crap.

You couldn't be more wrong.  I couldN'T care less about football until DMW is GONE.
fixed that for ya....
"Bar-keep, another go around again. One for me and whats-his-name, my new best friend!"

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: leavenworth1 on November 21, 2007, 10:01:04 pm
Okay, HOgan, convince me.  When I see him, I see a relatively short, non-athletic shooter with good bball IQ. 

McCurdy was not a shooter in HS.

I dont have to do much to convince:
over 30 offers
Kentucky, Kansas, Gonzaga, oklahoma state, Oklahoma, Marquette, Arizona State, Arkansas etc etc

I doubt all those schools would be going after somebody slightly better than a McCurdy.
Could set the Oklahoma scoring record this season.

great kid and a great player

proffitthog

slopinhogs

let us know what Rotnei Clarke has to say. :razorback:
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

justmakeit2thebcs

Quote from: Rod6275 on November 21, 2007, 12:31:56 pm
Oklahoma prep basketball star Rotnei Clarke will announce his college choice between Arkansas, Oklahoma State and Oral Robert Wednesday night on the 10 p.m. newscast of Tulsa station KTUL, which reaches into Northwest Arkansas.

What are  our  odds  of  getting this  kid?

99%

capehog

Quote from: Fatty McGee on October 26, 2010, 03:19:41 pm
I think we should beat anyone who has ideas that we disagree with and dares to make the public.  You're right on here.
Quote from: Overtheroadtruckdriver on April 28, 2010, 05:34:48 pm
Everyone and their dog on here turned in to dr. Phil. That's my favorite part. Everybody had advice. If I ever need advice, which is doubtful, hogville will be the last place I come for it.

Watching the rockets launch from the beach is way cool. Time for a new NASA to continue the mission. Crying shame we have a president that hates America. You people get what you deserve  #obamasfault

jgphillips3

Nobody gives a crap.

You couldn't be more wrong.  I couldn't care less about football until DMW is GONE.

Agreed, and love the evolving avatar.  This one may be the best yet.

capehog

the govt should mandate that all tv stations have live streaming at all times.
Quote from: Fatty McGee on October 26, 2010, 03:19:41 pm
I think we should beat anyone who has ideas that we disagree with and dares to make the public.  You're right on here.
Quote from: Overtheroadtruckdriver on April 28, 2010, 05:34:48 pm
Everyone and their dog on here turned in to dr. Phil. That's my favorite part. Everybody had advice. If I ever need advice, which is doubtful, hogville will be the last place I come for it.

Watching the rockets launch from the beach is way cool. Time for a new NASA to continue the mission. Crying shame we have a president that hates America. You people get what you deserve  #obamasfault

Hoggie24

Up next on channel 12 in Fayetteville

justmakeit2thebcs

November 21, 2007, 10:22:32 pm #93 Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 10:27:03 pm by justmakeit2thebcs
Quote from: okiehawg on November 21, 2007, 01:34:54 pm
I have seen this kid play several times, I am not overly impressed with his athletic ability.  He is GREAT shooter.  One of the best, but I worry about his defensive ability once he reaches the college level.  Also I worry about his scoring ability at the next level.  He does score a lot of points, but from the games I have seen him play, he basically takes 8-9 out of every 10 shots his team takes.  I just don't know if he would be athletic enough and be able to take the pounding of an SEC schedule.

Okiehawg....so you know more than Pelphrey when it comes to knowing what it takes to be a SEC basketball player?

okiehawg

okiehawg

okiehawg

Red Tusk

friggin car dealers..same on KATV too
If you can accept losing, you can't win.-Vince Lombardi

'Why don't they make the whole plane out of that black box stuff.'-Steven Wright

cubsfan5150

QuoteWest Side Rooter wrote:

Always best to talk [expletive] about a team when you don't have to face them again.

I'd do the same. LaRussa's a nutjob and would probably throw at his head.
ETA: A bottle of wine, not a baseball.
ETA: Empty bottle, obviously.

Cajun Hog