Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rotnei Clarke ( Basket Ball)

Started by Rod6275, November 21, 2007, 12:31:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Rod6275

Oklahoma prep basketball star Rotnei Clarke will announce his college choice between Arkansas, Oklahoma State and Oral Robert Wednesday night on the 10 p.m. newscast of Tulsa station KTUL, which reaches into Northwest Arkansas.

What are  our  odds  of  getting this  kid?
Choose This Day Who you will Serve...As For Me...It  Is The Hogs !

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

Not sounding too good if he is announcing in TULSA.

Rod6275

Choose This Day Who you will Serve...As For Me...It  Is The Hogs !

grayhawg

He lives 20-30 minutes from channel 8.

upperdeck_hawg

Quote from: abostian on November 21, 2007, 12:33:23 pm

doesnt he live near Tulsa? now if he lived in Fayetteville and announces in Tulsa or Stillwater, i see your point
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

darkhogfan

Joe Adams announced USC in Little Rock.
"She had a weakness for writers...and I was never that good with words anyways"-Ben Nichols

Hogtropolis™

There's a few good threads about this in the Recruiting and Jump Ball forums.

ADAHAWG

He lives in Verdegris  -- About 10 miles from Tulsa.  Dad just took a job @ ORU

okiehawg

I have seen this kid play several times, I am not overly impressed with his athletic ability.  He is GREAT shooter.  One of the best, but I worry about his defensive ability once he reaches the college level.  Also I worry about his scoring ability at the next level.  He does score a lot of points, but from the games I have seen him play, he basically takes 8-9 out of every 10 shots his team takes.  I just don't know if he would be athletic enough and be able to take the pounding of an SEC schedule.

Dr Swineglove

He lives less than 30 miles from Tulsa - it's his hometown TV station.  The choice of TV coverage doesn't offer a clue as to where he's going.

Various sources say Arkansas, others say ORU.  I give it 50/50; we'll know for sure tonight.
Prefrontal lobotomies are not to be performed without the written consent of the patient

RazorsEdge

Quote from: Dr Swineglove on November 21, 2007, 01:35:35 pm

He lives less than 30 miles from Tulsa - it's his hometown TV station.  The choice of TV coverage doesn't offer a clue as to where he's going.

Various sources say Arkansas, others say ORU.  I give it 50/50; we'll know for sure tonight.
Indeed!  It would lack suspense if he was announcing on the steps of Old Main wouldn't it?

HotSpringsHog

How about the way he played in AAU ball all summer against the best of the best.  This kid is the real deal and thats why he had over 30 offers ranging from Gonzaga to Kentucky.

okiehawg

I have heard that he really likes Sutton at ORU, and plus his dad works there.  Also though I have heard that his intial impression of Coach Pelphrey was very positive.

okiehawg

Quote from: HotSpringsHog on November 21, 2007, 01:40:09 pm
How about the way he played in AAU ball all summer against the best of the best.  This kid is the real deal and thats why he had over 30 offers ranging from Gonzaga to Kentucky.

AAU games are glorified pick-up games.  Shots fall a lot easier during the summer because people don't play as good of D as he is going to be faced with during the HS season and during the college season. 

Ask yourself this question, did I say he wasn't a good player?  No, I said he wasn't an overall amazing athlete.  Have you ever seen him play?

People I have seen him play against are people like Tennesee's Gerald Jones.  A freshman from OC Milwood who played some QB against us.  Jones is an amazing athlete, compared to him, Clarke athletic wise is average.  That is what concerns me.

OKhogfan1959

Quote from: okiehawg on November 21, 2007, 01:43:01 pm
Quote from: HotSpringsHog on November 21, 2007, 01:40:09 pm

AAU games are glorified pick-up games.  Shots fall a lot easier during the summer because people don't play as good of D as he is going to be faced with during the HS season and during the college season. 

Ask yourself this question, did I say he wasn't a good player?  No, I said he wasn't an overall amazing athlete.  Have you ever seen him play?

People I have seen him play against are people like Tennesee's Gerald Jones.  A freshman from OC Milwood who played some QB against us.  Jones is an amazing athlete, compared to him, Clarke athletic wise is average.  That is what concerns me.

He's not an amazing athlete, I agree. I disagree with your statement about AAU bball. Clarke has proven himself against top talent nation wide. He's far more athletic that Pat Bradley and he's a better shooter with more range and he has a quick release. Time will tell..I lean to him being very good in college.

jdlew

HotSpringsHog

Yes I watched him play AAU ball and the competition was alot better than what he plays in High School.  If you think the Hawks or Wings play "pick up games" then you need to go watch them play.  You cant play half azz basketball in AAU anymore, there playing for scholarship offers.

TennesseeRaz

Granted, I've never seen him in person, but from the video clip I saw, he created his own 3 pt shot MUCH BETTER than Pat Bradley.  I'd be stoked to get him in a Hog uniform.

Snoutbreather

Just for novelty's sake, why don't we all just wait until the announcement and save ourselves the angst.  Expend the saved energy on willing Houston on out of here.

PlayCallinBrotha

Well after watchin Okie State get throttled last night, I'd say our chances had to improve.

okiehawg

Quote from: HotSpringsHog on November 21, 2007, 01:54:30 pm
Yes I watched him play AAU ball and the competition was alot better than what he plays in High School.  If you think the Hawks or Wings play "pick up games" then you need to go watch them play.  You cant play half azz basketball in AAU anymore, there playing for scholarship offers.

I know what AAU ball is all about.  I know that that talent level that he faces at the AAU level is better than what he faces at the HS level.  I however have been to my fair share and hosted my fair share of AAU games and tournaments.  AAU basketball is more pick-up game than it is anything else.  People play hard, but they don't give help defense properly or challege shots as often or any of the litlte things that make it hard on shooters.  Heck, I even think that AAU basketball is one of the problems with other countries being able to catch up with America in basketball!  Used to, when we were on top, kids spent their summers in the gym learning how to dribble, pass and shoot properly.  Now, they learn the bare minimum and start playing games all the time.  Basketball is over played and under taught.  Summertime used to be the time to refine your skills and learn from things you made mistakes doing in the previous season.  Now it is all about how many games you can cram into the 12 weeks or however long summer is.

Baseball Hog

jj reddick wasnt an amazing athlete.

okiehawg

Also, something else of note, I have heard that if Keiton Page, another Oklahoma recruit, signed with Okie State, then they would not offer Clark.  I believe Page signed last week, so I wonder if OSU is still in the running.

okiehawg

Quote from: Baseball Hog on November 21, 2007, 02:05:01 pm
jj reddick wasnt an amazing athlete.

JJ Reddick was 6'4'', it is a lot easier to get a shot off when you are 6'4 than when you are 5'10.  I know Clark is listed as 6'0'' but I am iffy on that after seeing him in person.

OKhogfan1959

I have seen both play and I would take Clarke every day of the week..Are you saying Clarlke is only 5/10?

upperdeck_hawg

saw some youtube vids on the kid. i'm sure he can shoot but looks like he'll need lots of screens to get his shot off

first impression, i'm thinking more canon whitby than jj reddick
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

TennesseeRaz

Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on November 21, 2007, 02:10:37 pm
saw some youtube vids on the kid. i'm sure he can shoot but looks like he'll need lots of screens to get his shot off

No way, I NEVER saw Cannon Whitby drive the lane, get fouled and sink the shot.  Rotnei did it several times in that one video clip to a lean fellow who was at least 4 inches taller than him.

okiehawg

Quote from: LawnHog48 on November 21, 2007, 02:10:25 pm
I have seen both play and I would take Clarke every day of the week..Are you saying Clarlke is only 5/10?

I am saying that in one game that I saw him play, players listed on the other team at 6'0'' were taller than him. 

That is what I am getting at as well, and with that happening on offense, what kind of defensive player will he be able to be? 

HotSpringsHog

Oh well Okie looks like we will just have to wait and see.  If he signs with the Hogs you can bet he will make our team better right off the bat.  I dont see one player on our team this year or next year that we can count on for a consistent outside shot.

This is what Clark brings and that is what we need. 

rzrbckfan426

okiehawg

Quote from: opineonswine on November 21, 2007, 02:13:04 pm
IF he chooses us, I WILL BE ABSOLUTELY THRILLED because I know John Pelphrey will be thrilled.

Let me go ahead and make this clear now, I am not saying I won't be happy if he signs with us.  I just have ?'s about him.  I hope he becomes a great player for the U of A, I am just stating my impressions from seeing him play in person.

Dr Swineglove

Quote from: opineonswine on November 21, 2007, 02:13:04 pm
IF he chooses us, I WILL BE ABSOLUTELY THRILLED because I know John Pelphrey will be thrilled.

Those are my feelings exactly
Prefrontal lobotomies are not to be performed without the written consent of the patient

okiehawg

Quote from: HotSpringsHog on November 21, 2007, 02:14:39 pm
Oh well Okie looks like we will just have to wait and see.  If he signs with the Hogs you can bet he will make our team better right off the bat.  I dont see one player on our team this year or next year that we can count on for a consistent outside shot.

This is what Clark brings and that is what we need. 

You do realize that Beverly shot almost 40% from behind the arc last year?  I would say that is a consistent outside shot.

HotSpringsHog

Last year isnt helping this year.  Nobody knew who Beverly was last year, they know this year and they will game plan him.  Beverly is a slasher, his game is not built around the 3 point line.  Clark's game is built around the 3 pt line.

slopinhogs

Tulsa newspaper says he is lewaning to be A HOG
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

Table Rocker

okiehawg

Quote from: HotSpringsHog on November 21, 2007, 02:26:44 pm
Last year isnt helping this year.  Nobody knew who Beverly was last year, they know this year and they will game plan him.  Beverly is a slasher, his game is not built around the 3 point line.  Clark's game is built around the 3 pt line.

Yeah, you are right, that is why this summer when he played with Team USA he also shot 40% from the 3-pt line.  Oh, and you are also right about people not knowing who he was, I mean who would pay attention to a 4-star recruit who averaged 37 ppg in the Chicago area and shot 45% from the 3-pt line during those years... 

HotSpringsHog

Whatever Okie....all that stuff didnt help against Providence.  Last time I looked Clark was a 4 star recruit.  Last time I looked nobody knew Beverly in high school because he had one offer from Toledo. During the regular season last year nobody knew Beverly would be the force he was until halfway through the conference season.

okiehawg

Quote from: HotSpringsHog on November 21, 2007, 02:40:38 pm
Whatever Okie....all that stuff didnt help against Providence.  Last time I looked Clark was a 4 star recruit.  Last time I looked nobody knew Beverly in high school because he had one offer from Toledo. During the regular season last year nobody knew Beverly would be the force he was until halfway through the conference season.

Beverly was the 10th rated PG in the nation, the 65th best player in the nation, both according to Rivals.  You seriously expect me to believe that only Toledo offered him?  Haha, just let it go and move on.  Oh, and what does Clarke being a 4-star have to do with Beverly?  Haha...

upperdeck_hawg

Quote from: TennesseeRaz on November 21, 2007, 02:13:32 pm

No way, I NEVER saw Cannon Whitby drive the lane, get fouled and sink the shot.  Rotnei did it several times in that one video clip to a lean fellow who was at least 4 inches taller than him.

that's because you never saw cannon whitby in high school average around 40+ points (including many points driving the lane and getting fouled)...the SEC however is another animal

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

okiehawg

Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on November 21, 2007, 02:51:54 pm

that's because you never saw cannon whitby in high school average around 40+ points (including many points driving the lane and getting fouled)...the SEC however is another animal

A lot of these kids in HS will never play against another D-1 prospect in a HS game until they actually reach college.  Take Clarke for instance, I would say this year he will play against, at the most, 6 D-1 prospects, depending on how they do in the Tournament of Champions.

TennesseeRaz

Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on November 21, 2007, 02:51:54 pm

That's true.  Point taken.

Cresthog

He's from oklahoma and not far from Tulsa at that. So why would this matter at all? Kodi announced for AU from Fort Smith and Joe Adams announced for USC in Little Rock.

Announcing in Tulsa means nothing.

Footballref

I know I don't give much props to DUDLEY but he made the trip to Tulsa tonight for the signing and he said he would not have made the trip unless he was sure that he was coming here.

okiehawg

Quote from: Footballref on November 21, 2007, 06:47:46 pm
I know I don't give much props to DUDLEY but he made the trip to Tulsa tonight for the signing and he said he would not have made the trip unless he was sure that he was coming here.

That is good news, also I believe the kids grandmother lives in Fayetteville, so that may be a plus for us.

BradyHolzhauer

Quote from: okiehawg on November 21, 2007, 02:48:16 pm

Beverly was the 10th rated PG in the nation, the 65th best player in the nation, both according to Rivals.  You seriously expect me to believe that only Toledo offered him?  Haha, just let it go and move on.  Oh, and what does Clarke being a 4-star have to do with Beverly?  Haha...

Guys, Beverly was not recruited heavy early on, but Arkansas offered and he committed.  The recruiting picked up heavily after that, but he was solid in his commitment.  He was mad though that Illinois did not come after him.

Cresthog

Quote from: BradyHolzhauer on November 21, 2007, 08:17:46 pm

Guys, Beverly was not recruited heavy early on, but Arkansas offered and he committed.  The recruiting picked up heavily after that, but he was solid in his commitment.  He was mad though that Illinois did not come after him.

Beverley was committed to Toledo originally. He blew up his senior year and recruiting picked up heavily on him. Michigan and Arkansas were his final two. If i remember correctly Virginia and a few others were on him too. We were late on P.Bev.

BradyHolzhauer

Quote from: Cresthog on November 21, 2007, 08:19:53 pm
Quote from: BradyHolzhauer on November 21, 2007, 08:17:46 pm

Beverley was committed to Toledo originally. He blew up his senior year and recruiting picked up heavily on him. Michigan and Arkansas were his final two. If i remember correctly Virginia and a few others were on him too. We were late on P.Bev.

Yeah.  I know after we got him other schools showed interest, but it was TOO late for them.

Hogphilia

He is announcing in Tulsa because he is from the Tulsa area...KTUL's sister station in Little Rock channel 7 is carrying the feed...

BradyHolzhauer

I'm ready to see Clarke announce he's going to be a Hog!