Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Forbes 20 most valuable college football teams

Started by regi, November 20, 2007, 08:43:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ark30inf

Quote from: WhenPigsFly33 on November 21, 2007, 01:06:00 am
um, have any of you "fire Nutt" types noticed that on the basis Forbes used for these ranking we finished ahead of just Vandy, Kentucky, Mississippi and Mississippi State in the SEC? LOL. So just how far above these ranking do you expect Nutt to perform?

I know, Gus would have us beating everyone, but for the sake of argument, let's pretend you people are capable of being rational for a moment and tell me how many of the teams above us in these rankings you think we should out perform in the long run in order to meet your oh-so-self-serving standards.

Here's a little hint before you answer my question, how many of the SEC teams ranked above us do you think have better overall won/loss records than Arkansas during Nutt's years here?

Go look it up and then come back and tell me Nutt has underachieved. 

Georgia, Alabama, South Carolina, and Arkansas are not getting their money's worth.

Smokehouse

Quote from: jimmiekersh on November 21, 2007, 07:00:24 am
University of Notre Dame, Fighting Irish - Value: $101 million

University of Texas, Longhorns - Value: $92 million

University of Georgia, Bulldogs - Value: $90 million

University of Michigan, Wolverines - Value: $85 million

University of Florida, Gators - Value: $84 million

Louisiana State University, Tigers - Value: $76 million

University of Tennessee, Volunteers - Value: $74 million

Auburn University, Tigers - Value: $73 million

University of Alabama, Crimson Tide  - Value: $72 million

Ohio State University, Buckeyes - Value: $71 million

University of Oklahoma, Sooners - Value: $70 million

University of South Carolina, Gamecocks - Value: $69 million

Pennsylvania State University, Nittany Lions - Value: $69 million

University of Southern California, Trojans - Value: $53 million

University of Arkansas, Razorbacks - Value: $53 million

Texas A&M University, Aggies - Value: $50 million

University of Washington, Huskies  - Value: $50 million

University of Nebraska, Cornhuskers - Value: $49 million

Michigan State University, Spartans - Value: $44 million

University of Wisconsin, Badgers - Value: $43 million

According to the logic of many, then Arkansas should never be ranked above 15th in the nation. 
According to the logic of many, then Notre Dame should never lose a game, ever.
According to the logic of many, then Georgia should always win the SEC.

USC West beat our butts so bad the last two times we played it was embarassing but they only rank one above us in this ranking.

Maybe we just need to realize that the game is decided most of the time between the ears of the athletes and head coaches and not with the money.

Excellent example from this year is Kansas, Missouri, West Virginia, Arizona State, Virginia Tech and Oregon.

nobody's saying that money instantly translates into wins, but, IF USED PROPERLY it helps a helluva lot. ND is probably not spending their money correctly keeping Weiss. The point is, we have a lot of money and we could be spending it in ways that helps us win. Some people say we don't have a lot of money. This proves them wrong.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

cosmodrum

um, have any of you "fire Nutt" types noticed that on the basis Forbes used for these ranking we finished ahead of just Vandy, Kentucky, Mississippi and Mississippi State in the SEC? LOL. So just how far above these ranking do you expect Nutt to perform?

I know, Gus would have us beating everyone, but for the sake of argument, let's pretend you people are capable of being rational for a moment and tell me how many of the teams above us in these rankings you think we should out perform in the long run in order to meet your oh-so-self-serving standards.

Here's a little hint before you answer my question, how many of the SEC teams ranked above us do you think have better overall won/loss records than Arkansas during Nutt's years here?

Check his record against *** Kentucky, genius.
Go away, batin'

FL_Hog_Fan

You are an idiot (of course).  What I see is that we should perform just below USC on average.  How has Testicle performed on that scale? 

What your feeble mind isn't letting through is that we are the 15th most valuable program in the country.  There is no reason that over the last 10 years we should have had schools like Mizzou, Boise State, or Kansas (for example) do better in the BCS than us.  That is under performing.  Open that melon up to another view.  Maybe, just maybe, at 15 we could have over achieved just a couple of times and squeezed into a top 12 spot for a BCS birth just once or twice.  You think.  How many programs ranked below 15 have had a shot at a BCS bowl in the past 10 years?

Your mom paid you for C's in school didn't she?
What were we arguing about anyway?

FL_Hog_Fan

University of Notre Dame, Fighting Irish - Value: $101 million

University of Texas, Longhorns - Value: $92 million

University of Georgia, Bulldogs - Value: $90 million

University of Michigan, Wolverines - Value: $85 million

University of Florida, Gators - Value: $84 million

Louisiana State University, Tigers - Value: $76 million

University of Tennessee, Volunteers - Value: $74 million

Auburn University, Tigers - Value: $73 million

University of Alabama, Crimson Tide  - Value: $72 million

Ohio State University, Buckeyes - Value: $71 million

University of Oklahoma, Sooners - Value: $70 million

University of South Carolina, Gamecocks - Value: $69 million

Pennsylvania State University, Nittany Lions - Value: $69 million

University of Southern California, Trojans - Value: $53 million

University of Arkansas, Razorbacks - Value: $53 million

Texas A&M University, Aggies - Value: $50 million

University of Washington, Huskies  - Value: $50 million

University of Nebraska, Cornhuskers - Value: $49 million

Michigan State University, Spartans - Value: $44 million

University of Wisconsin, Badgers - Value: $43 million

According to the logic of many, then Arkansas should never be ranked above 15th in the nation. 

USC West beat our butts so bad the last two times we played it was embarassing but they only rank one above us in this ranking.

Maybe we just need to realize that the game is decided most of the time between the ears of the athletes and head coaches and not with the money.

Excellent example from this year is Kansas, Missouri, West Virginia, Arizona State, Virginia Tech and Oregon.

And another thing...would someone tell me which one of those schools would hire Testicle?  I mean, he is above Arkansas right?

PULEEEZZZZZEEEEE ... Puh ten chul my ass.

razorbackmkh

Quote from: hogfanmatt72212 on November 20, 2007, 09:30:20 pm
Quote from: regi on November 20, 2007, 08:43:48 pm
E-mail him this link.

http://www.forbes.com/2007/11/20/notre-dame-fooball-biz-sports-cx_ps_1120collegeball_slide_2.html?thisSpeed=15000

The SEC has 8!!!!!!! of the richest programs in the [CENSORED] country according to Forbes. Tell Schaefwater to STFU with the poor mouthing. BTW Hogs have the lands' 15th richest program, ahead of A&M and Nebraska.

the thing is, if Coach Nutt wasn't here the past few years we would not have even made this list most likely
I'm going to assume you have a learning disability and can't be held accountable for such ridiculous assessments.
Every time I see a grown man in a backwards hat I want to b***h slap Trooper Taylor.

regi

See, this is the save Nutt mantra that is killing this fan base and will kill the program and take us off the list. The Rick Shaeffer, Theresa Pruitt, JFB, Hooten and Jimmy Sexton bullshite. "Tell the fans how bad we have it, how much of an over achiever Hooten is. That is pure BS. Their are 119 D1 football prgrams, Arkansas ranks 15th!!!!! in worth, 15th!!!. We are in the game with the big boys baby, we are not sitting around hoping for table scraps.

See, folks like you and Shaeffer make out like Arkansas would rank 50th-60th on a list like this and anything Hooten does is gravey. Those days are gone. Arkansas' fan base, control of their state and alliance with the most powerful football conference in America puts Arkansas in the BCS mix. Nutt needs to be at a place like Baylor where 8-4 is considered an over-achievment, since that is how you, rick and Nutt see him. You and rick should join him there.

FL_Hog_Fan

You know...for an example from down here in Tampa Bay...the bucs used to consistently be at the top of the franchise profitability list and the bottom of the performance list.  Out goes the Culverhouse's in come the Glazures.  New look, new staff and lo and behold the bucs are not a joke anymore.  They ever reached the pinnacle of the sport  and won.  It wasn't the puh ten chul that was holding the Bucs back and it isn't the puh ten chul that is holding the Hogs back.  It was (and is) the folks running the program.

regi

Quote from: FL_Hog_Fan on November 21, 2007, 11:43:17 am
You know...for an example from down here in Tampa Bay...the bucs used to consistently be at the top of the franchise profitability list and the bottom of the performance list.  Out goes the Culverhouse's in come the Glazures.  New look, new staff and lo and behold the bucs are not a joke anymore.  They ever reached the pinnacle of the sport  and won.  It wasn't the puh ten chul that was holding the Bucs back and it isn't the puh ten chul that is holding the Hogs back.  It was (and is) the folks running the program.

Bingo.

WhenPigsFly33

The replies to my post above are about what I would expect from Hogville. Like the beer-swilling yahoos most of you are, you've completely missed the important point. Over the 10 years of Nutt's tenure at Arkansas, Arkansas has a better overall won/loss record than 2 of the teams that are ranked above us and we're in a statistical dead-heat with another one.

That means that, in effect, only 4 of the 7 teams who are ranked above us in the SEC have succeeded in out performing Arkansas under Nutt. Now I would love for that number to be zero, but you have to wonder just how many more of the teams ranked above us any coach can realistically be expected to beat.

I know, I know, realism has nothing to do with Hogville, but as I said above, let's pretend for a moment some of you have the ability to be rational and answer my question. How many?

WhenPigsFly33

November 21, 2007, 02:35:11 pm #60 Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 02:41:06 pm by WhenPigsFly33
Come on, Hogvillians, pony up. How many of the teams ranked above us should Nutt be expected to outperform? Give me a number.

"crickets"

That's what I thought. Nothing, nada, zip. All this site is good for is letting beer-swilling yahoos and Springdale groupies play at being hog fans.

Here's hoping every last one of you gets to spend the next 10 years hating Nutt as well. I'm frankly beginning to enjoy the process of hating you people back, you so richly deserve it. You're such imbecilic frauds it would be a shame to let any one of you fade back into the woodwork before we find out who you are in real life. My hope is we can start a campaign after Nutt is retained to get everyone to put their name on record as to where they stand on darksider/hugger divide.

All darksiders need to be identified and spayed or neutered before they can reproduce.

Smokehouse

Quote from: WhenPigsFly33 on November 21, 2007, 01:22:35 pm

The replies to my post above are about what I would expect from Hogville. Like the beer-swilling yahoos most of you are, you've completely missed the important point. Over the 10 years of Nutt's tenure at Arkansas, Arkansas has a better overall won/loss record than 2 of the teams that are ranked above us and we're in a statistical dead-heat with another one.

That means that, in effect, only 4 of the 7 teams who are ranked above us in the SEC have succeeded in out performing Arkansas under Nutt. Now I would love for that number to be zero, but you have to wonder just how many more of the teams ranked above us any coach can realistically be expected to beat.

I know, I know, realism has nothing to do with Hogville, but as I said above, let's pretend for a moment some of you have the ability to be rational and answer my question. How many?

generally, when one resorts to personal attacks, it means he doesn't have a logical argument to make. Certainly true in your case.

of the 2 teams with worse win-loss records in the last 10 years, which ones have changed coaches? How about the "statistical dead-heat" one?

You talked about what programs a coach can "realistically" be expected to beat? With Darren McFadden/Felix Jones/Peyton Hillis I realistically expect a coach to be able to BEAT ANY OF THOSE PROGRAMS. We have the talent, but the fact that our passing scheme is less complicated than the control scheme for Pac-Man means everyone can pile up against our best talent.

This is a list about MONEY. It is a list entitled "definitive list of potential in all cases, period." Being 15th in money means we can pony up and do what it takes to win. Schools with less money are doing it and being succesful. Other schools use their money to go get big-name coaches, we use ours to hire a guy that went 4-7 the year before. Way to reach for the stars.

And even under your argument, Nutt should be AT LEAST 15 consistently. Except for a few rare occurances (*cough*, Gus's offense, *cough*) he hasn't even been sniffing the top 25. Even under your twisted, convuluted few he's under-achieving, so either way he should be gone until we get a coach that consistently lands at 15.

So, there you go. Hope you didn't break your neck falling off of your high horse.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

The real Hogules

Quote from: hogfanmatt72212 on November 20, 2007, 09:30:20 pm
Quote from: regi on November 20, 2007, 08:43:48 pm
E-mail him this link.

http://www.forbes.com/2007/11/20/notre-dame-fooball-biz-sports-cx_ps_1120collegeball_slide_2.html?thisSpeed=15000

The SEC has 8!!!!!!! of the richest programs in the [CENSORED] country according to Forbes. Tell Schaefwater to STFU with the poor mouthing. BTW Hogs have the lands' 15th richest program, ahead of A&M and Nebraska.

the thing is, if Coach Nutt wasn't here the past few years we would not have even made this list most likely

You have no idea what you're talking about Forrest, so go and ask mama Gump for the low down.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

GWFan

JFB and NUTT use this logic.

regi

Quote from: WhenPigsFly33 on November 21, 2007, 02:35:11 pm
Come on, Hogvillians, pony up. How many of the teams ranked above us should Nutt be expected to outperform? Give me a number.

"crickets"

That's what I thought. Nothing, nada, zip. All this site is good for is letting beer-swilling yahoos and Springdale groupies play at being hog fans.

Here's hoping every last one of you gets to spend the next 10 years hating Nutt as well. I'm frankly beginning to enjoy the process of hating you people back, you so richly deserve it. You're such imbecilic frauds it would be a shame to let any one of you fade back into the woodwork before we find out who you are in real life. My hope is we can start a campaign after Nutt is retained to get everyone to put their name on record as to where they stand on darksider/hugger divide.

All darksiders need to be identified and spayed or neutered before they can reproduce.

What is your name by the way? How many seasons has Nutt's teams finished at #15 or better by the way? maybe 2? How many presason top 25 rankings has he had by the way? maybe 2. How many times has Rivals or Scout  ranked his recruiting classes in the top 15 of the country? I can answer that for you, ZERO. So your week ass arguement would have some legs if Nutt ran a top 15 program, but he is not, he is running maybe a top 40 program year in and year out. You know what his combined record against UGA, UF and LSU is don't you? In 10 years he only has 3 in the win column against those 3.

Nutt is an average x and o guy with above average motivation skills and below average recruting skills, so there you have it. He is average at best.

FL_Hog_Fan

Well...at least 10 teams below us (every year but maybe 2) have outperformed us.  Your illogic says that we should be looking to under perform as long as others under perform above us.  Like I have said before...your momma paid you for C's didn't she.

cthawg

Quote from: ErieHog on November 20, 2007, 08:49:57 pm
Two minor notes;  Arkansas is extremely profitable, when it comes to football-- a large segment of that $$ goes to fund Title IX requirements, like many other places.     On the downside, Arkansas has never shown the willingness to actually spend that revenue to improve the product on the field-- and until that commitment is made, it doesn't matter how much money we make, if we won't spend it.

Have you been to fayetteville? Have you seen the facilities we have go to bama and look at their stadium go to florida's or south carolina's. We have the largest work out facility in the country. we have the facilities trust me. Now spending on a coach another story...

JoePaul03

WhenPigsFly33---How about you do this: Go back, over the past ten years (Nutt's tenure at Arkansas) and see how many BCS wins and appearances all of those schools have...and then compare that to us. In a quick glance at it, I'm coming up with at least twenty BCS appearances by the schools on that list. (If someone wants to do the research, I'm sure there's actually more than that.) And ain't NONE of them ours.
WCOB, 2003

ErieHog

Quote from: cthawg on November 21, 2007, 04:09:54 pm
Quote from: ErieHog on November 20, 2007, 08:49:57 pm
Two minor notes;  Arkansas is extremely profitable, when it comes to football-- a large segment of that $$ goes to fund Title IX requirements, like many other places.     On the downside, Arkansas has never shown the willingness to actually spend that revenue to improve the product on the field-- and until that commitment is made, it doesn't matter how much money we make, if we won't spend it.

Have you been to fayetteville? Have you seen the facilities we have go to bama and look at their stadium go to florida's or south carolina's. We have the largest work out facility in the country. we have the facilities trust me. Now spending on a coach another story...

I certainly have;  you'll notice a common theme when you visit any athletic department-- they all claim to have the absolute best facilities, or to be in the process of upgrading their facilities to being world-class.

The building war is not one that can be  'won';  we still want BCS results, but pay Sun Belt pay for coaching.
No cause, ever, in the history of all mankind, has produced more cold-blooded tyrants, more slaughtered innocents, and more orphans than socialism with power. It surpassed, exponentially, all other systems of production in turning out the dead. The bodies are all around us. And here is the problem: No one talks about them. No one honors them. No one does penance for them. No one has committed suicide for having been an apologist for those who did this to them. No one pays for them. No one is hunted down to account for them. It is exactly what Solzhenitsyn foresaw in The Gulag Archipelago: "No, no one would have to answer. No one would be looked into." Until that happens, there is no "after socialism."

vol_in_ar

IronHog

1. Overall wins count for what exactly?  The weak OOC schedule skews this in Nutt's favor and Arkansas is not eligible for the sunbelt championship.

2.  Each of the teams ahead of Arkansas on this list has a coach that has won the SEC, a BCS bowl, and/or a NC.  What exactly has Nutt won?

3.  Nutt's success has come with 1. Ford's players, 2.  Matt Jones,  3.  Malazahn as OC.  He is fresh out of all three.

Arkansas is a top 20 program EVERYWHERE except coaching and administration.  Fix it now please!

Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

TheGunther

Honestly, the only reason arkansas is so high on this list is because it has NOTHING else to compete with.  No other dominate college team.  No professional sport of any kind.  They have done a good job of keeping it the only show in the state. 
everybody wanna be a bodybuilder, no one wanna lift no heavy ass weight!

IronHog

Quote from: TheGunther on November 21, 2007, 05:41:40 pm
Honestly, the only reason arkansas is so high on this list is because it has NOTHING else to compete with.  No other dominate college team.  No professional sport of any kind.  They have done a good job of keeping it the only show in the state. 

Sorta.

There are other schools out there i.e.. Nebraska and WV that do not rank as high.

This is a small state with a small population, but a disproportionate level of wealthy people have ties to the state and UofA.

Remember this is a banana republic.

SkunkyMunky

Quote from: babywhiz on November 20, 2007, 08:46:13 pm
Ok, so why is Fayetteville out of $$ again?

Each Razorback home game results in $7.3 million of incremental spending throughout the county.

Sorry, wrong forum....

that means $7.3 million at walmart and the hotels and the restaurants split... not that the actual university makes that much.
"Do you want to be safe and good, or do you want to take a chance and be great?"
Jimmy Johnson

"Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple."
Barry Switzer

IronHog

Quote from: NolanForAD on November 21, 2007, 06:46:19 pm
This only takes football revenue into account.  Don't forget the Razorback foundation and the big money boosters that include one of the wealthiest families in the world.  The truth Is that if Arkansas isn't the wealthiest program, its damn close.  The problem has been that Broyles likes to pretend we are poor so that he looks like a miracle worker.  When your AD says you can't afford a good coach, it doesn't help your image.

I agree.

Much is made of Arkansas' small "athletic budget" but most of these funds are spent on operations as generous gifts have financed facility improvement at the UofA.

Many other schools are borrowing much more to leverage facility improvement/expansion and some of this is reflected in higher athletic budgets.

The flip side is Arkansas has low ticket prices and if you want to play with the big boys the average fan will pay his or her due on gameday.

Screwy Lewie

Survey of questions:
Would you let Houston hang out with your wife?
Do you think an offensive Coordinator of the year...needs a Co-offensive Coordinator?
Do you believe Time of Possion is very important to winning?
Your up by 9 points with one minutes to go in the half on a team you can dominate. Do you down the ball an go in the half?
Do you bring in a pro style offensive coordinator and then on game day tell him..hey the runs working don't send down any pass plays?
Do you really Say... I called that play Broutha?
Can you send two thousand texts in two months and not send one to a recruit?
If you had 5 players on Offense going pro. Could you have a better record than 2-3 in conferenc?

Its not just about the W's on why people want Houston to leave.

I personally don't know Houston and he might be a great person. But I know one thing. When 40/29 news broke the story that houston was leaving...a cheer went up in the office... and there was once again excitement in Razorback football.  I hope Houston leaves and he win's a National Championship and Rick can say see I told you so...but I want a change and the people of Arkansas want a change. Rick says the Banners and the black shirts hurt Arkansas...Let me tell you the Greenbacks of a few that run the program have hurt Arkansas. There should be a balance... But the little guys might have found a way to make noise. I believe it will keep getting worse until change is made.

Peace, Love and Chicken Wings
Screwy Lewie

BILLYBOB

Maybe this is the real reason the PTB are reluctant to fire Nutt.  He may irritate the fanbase and he may bungle things on (and off) the field...but Lord he brings in the cash.  They may not want to rock the boat.
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence." ~Charles Bukowski

40MINSOFHELL

most of the money should go to Basketball because we all know we win in that sport :D