Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tulsa country's top-ranked offense...

Started by jaredndockery, November 19, 2007, 08:30:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

RazorsEdge

Hogsanity, why do you feel Duke has a tougher SOS than any SEC team?

The Max Swineberg 7

Quote from: hogsanity on November 19, 2007, 08:42:22 am
Again, great numbers put up in a joke of a league, just like Hawaii.  As for TT, they dont play the toughest competiton, and i dont know of too many who want Leach as our HC.

Joke of a league?  I bet you the top 4 teams in C-USA could beat Arkansas.

And I wouldn't want leach either, but to say they don't play tough competition....you do know they beat Oklahoma Saturday, right?
Arkansas has too many Stepford fans.

Destin2bAhog

Quote from: Hog Scratch Fever on November 19, 2007, 09:24:35 am
Okay, okay....I know we have a lot of Gus Crush going on hear and admittedly, I'm included.  We know by the records and success, that Gus is good at what he does.

I just don't understand the Gus Haters.  (I know you might not actually "hate" him, I just thought about it and couldn't find a better word.)

Is it just because he's not Houston?  Is it just because he was involved in this mess?  What has he done wrong?

Before Gus, our offense was pretty bad.  4-7, 5-6 in the two years previous.  Also, remember the loss to Vanderbilt and the fact that Felix and Dmac got 1 play each in that game?  What kind of talent evaluation is that?

With Gus, suddenly misdirection is put into a previously predictable offense.  Even under restrictions, our offense became feared across the SEC.  And before you say it was ALL Dmac, look at how teams have been able to contain Dmac with all the unimaginative runs off guard and tackle this year.

We were unstoppable in only one game this year, and that was the SC game, when Houston found Gus' playbook from last year.  It was too obvious.  Misdirection was back in the mix.

Then Tennessee.  Back to Nuttball.  Why?  Ego and Pride.  Pitiful.  Maybe he knew he was gone and didn't care.

So why the Gus Hate?  All he did was make us better.  All he did was go to another team and make them #1 in the nation in offense.

Use your stats, your talk of what conference he's in.......whatever.  The fact is, wherever he goes.....he wins.  I just don't see how a hog fan can dislike that from a guy who "wants to be a Razorback".

There is no hate of Gus.  What is a little tiring is the Gus love that you guys keep try to push.  Gus isn't the problem.  Unfortunately, you Darksiders are beginning to make Gus as devisive as Nutt.  Gus is a good OC, but quite frankly their SOS is pathetic.   You degrade DL, because you hate Nutt and it isn't fair.   DL didn't lose the Alab and Kent games, it was the defense that lost those games.  He did contribute in the loss of the Aub game because they only scored 7 points.  
I am to the point, Nutt needs to go, but don't want Gus back because he will ultimately be a devisive issue.  
WE NEED A FRESH START HERE with the AD, Coach, Asst. Coaches and a new team spirit on Hogville.  My fear is some of you guys won't let Nutt go....even when he's gone on this MB and we will continue to have the SOS that has been here for some time now.      

DickSonstreetDFW

Gus did this with Tulsa's talent.  He worked with what was there when he arrived.

Gus is a winner, wherever he goes.  He was a winner here, and he will be a winner at a BCS school again someday.

If anyone can show me where Gus Malzahn HAS NOT BEEN A WINNER, please do.

If we don't get him back, we WILL regret it soon.

RazorsEdge

Destin, you used info from a site that had Duke's SOS ranked #1, would you care to explain.

This site has Florida's ranked #1 http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/polls/119  That seems more in line with what I know about football.  Why do you feel Duke has the toughest schedule?

stevenwayneslane

Quote from: headalphageek on November 19, 2007, 08:32:27 am
man i wish we could play army
Well I hate to tell you this but we wouldn't have got as many yards or points against Army as did Tulsa. Tulsa beat BYU this year, UL Monroe whom beat Alabama a team we couldn't beat and put up almost 500 yrds of offense against OU as well.

jaredndockery

November 19, 2007, 10:03:43 am #56 Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 10:15:06 am by jaredndockery
Quote from: Big Daddy on November 19, 2007, 09:06:51 am
Gus didn't beat Army with SEC athletes. He beat them with Conference USA athletes. He could do the same thing in the SEC with SEC athletes. It's all relative.

I agree. If Gus plays against weaker opponents than the Hogs do, he is simultaneously handicapped by having weaker athletes than the Hogs do. That's a wash. The point is that Malzahn, while coaching a team mediocre in talent, is tallying 544.6 yards per game against other teams mediocre in talent. The well-talented Hogs — blessed with the best backfield the country has seen in a generation — are tallying 452.4 yards per game against well-talented teams. Which is more impressive?

On the same theme: None of Arkansas' victories this year can be considered "upsets" because the Hogs have not beaten any opponents who were clearly superior to them. But Tulsa does have such a win; it beat BYU, now ranked 24th, by a score of 55-47.

And again: Tulsa scoring 21 points against an Oklahoma team which was vastly superior in talent is arguably more impressive than any offensive accomplishment the Hogs have had this season, even the 48-point effort against South Carolina, since this came at the expense of a team which was similarly talented to the Razorbacks, if not less talented.

The argument that Gus is simply racking up yardage against weaker teams is flawed, because Gus himself coaches a weaker (talent wise) team. The conclusion is inescapable: He is doing more with less.

Finally, while I concede that Arkansas' schedule is tougher than Tulsa's, I am not convinced that it is vastly so, given the vast number of cupcake teams (plus Ole Miss) that Arkansas has played. Strength of schedule ratings are more art than science, but this site — http://www.gberatings.com/sos/ — ranks Arkansas 71st and Tulsa 108th.

The closer one looks at the situation, the more one is inclined to believe that Gus — playing against teams equally or more talented than his — is averaging 90 yards a game more than the Hogs, who have been playing against teams equally or less talented than theirs. Which is the more impressive accomplishment?

headalphageek

Quote from: stevenwayneslane on November 19, 2007, 10:03:17 am
Well I hate to tell you this but we wouldn't have got as many yards or points against Army as did Tulsa. Tulsa beat BYU this year, UL Monroe whom beat Alabama a team we couldn't beat and put up almost 500 yrds of offense against OU as well.

Im sorry, I am an idiot.  I should have expanded.  I wish we could have played Rice, UL-Monroe, UCF, BYU, Oklahoma, Marshall, UAB, Houston, Tulane, UTEP, Army.

Lakeside54321

Blasting a crappy league makes no sense......If Nutt was coaching in C-USA league, he would have one of the worst ranked team in it!  This is my opinion!

Lakeside54321

In other words... there is a first place and a last place record in Every league.... no matter how many cupcakes there are........... and good coaches are going to be on top!  Just like.... if they moved the Razorbacks this next year to the C-USA, we would be on top for a while until recruiting dropped off to the league level.

headalphageek

Quote from: jaredndockery on November 19, 2007, 10:03:43 am
Quote from: Big Daddy on November 19, 2007, 09:06:51 am
Gus didn't beat Army with SEC athletes. He beat them with Conference USA athletes. He could do the same thing in the SEC with SEC athletes. It's all relative.

I agree. If Gus plays against weaker opponents than the Hogs do, he is simultaneously handicapped by having weaker athletes than the Hogs do. That's a wash. The point is that Malzahn, while coaching a team mediocre in talent, is tallying 544.6 yards per game against other teams mediocre in talent. The well-talented Hogs — blessed with the best backfield the country has seen in a generation — are tallying 452.4 yards per game against well-talented teams. Which is more impressive?

On the same theme: None of Arkansas' victories this year can be considered "upsets" because the Hogs have not beaten any opponents who were clearly superior to them. But Tulsa does have such a win; it beat BYU, now ranked 24th, by a score of 55-47.

And again: Tulsa scoring 21 points against an Oklahoma team which was vastly superior in talent is arguably more impressive than any offensive accomplishment the Hogs have had this season, even the 48-point effort against South Carolina, since this came at the expense of a team which was similarly talented to the Razorbacks, if not less talented.

The argument that Gus is simply racking up yardage against weaker teams is flawed, because Gus himself coaches a weaker (talent wise) team. The conclusion is inescapable: He is doing more with less.

Finally, while I concede that Arkansas' schedule is tougher than Tulsa's, I am not convinced that it is vastly so, given the vast number of cupcake teams (plus Ole Miss) that Arkansas has played. Strength of schedule ratings are more art than science, but this site — http://www.gberatings.com/sos/ — ranks Arkansas 71st and Tulsa 108th.

The closer one looks at the situation, the more one is inclined to believe that Gus — playing against teams equally or more talented than his — is averaging 90 yards a game more than the Hogs, who have been playing against teams equally or less talented than theirs. Which the more impressive accomplishment?

GUS IS A BETTER OC.  This is not the debate.  At least not for me.  All i am doing is responding to the original post.  Just trying to point out the apples and oranges of the comparison. 

Houston h

31to6

Quote from: jaredndockery on November 19, 2007, 08:49:33 am
Quote from: ReturnToDynasty? on November 19, 2007, 08:42:24 am
Sorry to burst your bubble, but our offense scores a lot of points.  Our defense was our demise. 

Arkansas did not score "a lot of points" against Auburn or against Tennessee.
And our offense didn't score much against Kentucky either.

Our offense has performed well against: an injury-riddled and exposed South Carolina, an Alabama that lost to ULM, the state of Mississippi and the SunBelt.

Really, we did have good offensive showings at USC-E and 'bama--but the season has made those accomplishments look worse than they appeared at the time.

This is nothing new. Nuttball has always put up huge numbers against inferior competition and tended to choke against the elite. We are the 10th-grade bully. We make our living extorting the freshmen but tuck our tail or get our ass whipped when a senior calls our bluff.

Hog Scratch Fever

Quote from: Destin2bAhog on November 19, 2007, 09:53:15 am
Okay, okay....I know we have a lot of Gus Crush going on hear and admittedly, I'm included.  We know by the records and success, that Gus is good at what he does.

I just don't understand the Gus Haters.  (I know you might not actually "hate" him, I just thought about it and couldn't find a better word.)

Is it just because he's not Houston?  Is it just because he was involved in this mess?  What has he done wrong?

Before Gus, our offense was pretty bad.  4-7, 5-6 in the two years previous.  Also, remember the loss to Vanderbilt and the fact that Felix and Dmac got 1 play each in that game?  What kind of talent evaluation is that?

With Gus, suddenly misdirection is put into a previously predictable offense.  Even under restrictions, our offense became feared across the SEC.  And before you say it was ALL Dmac, look at how teams have been able to contain Dmac with all the unimaginative runs off guard and tackle this year.

We were unstoppable in only one game this year, and that was the SC game, when Houston found Gus' playbook from last year.  It was too obvious.  Misdirection was back in the mix.

Then Tennessee.  Back to Nuttball.  Why?  Ego and Pride.  Pitiful.  Maybe he knew he was gone and didn't care.

So why the Gus Hate?  All he did was make us better.  All he did was go to another team and make them #1 in the nation in offense.

Use your stats, your talk of what conference he's in.......whatever.  The fact is, wherever he goes.....he wins.  I just don't see how a hog fan can dislike that from a guy who "wants to be a Razorback".

There is no hate of Gus.  What is a little tiring is the Gus love that you guys keep try to push.  Gus isn't the problem.  Unfortunately, you Darksiders are beginning to make Gus as devisive as Nutt.  Gus is a good OC, but quite frankly their SOS is pathetic.   You degrade DL, because you hate Nutt and it isn't fair.   DL didn't lose the Alab and Kent games, it was the defense that lost those games.  He did contribute in the loss of the Aub game because they only scored 7 points.  
I am to the point, Nutt needs to go, but don't want Gus back because he will ultimately be a devisive issue.  
WE NEED A FRESH START HERE with the AD, Coach, Asst. Coaches and a new team spirit on Hogville.  My fear is some of you guys won't let Nutt go....even when he's gone on this MB and we will continue to have the SOS that has been here for some time now.      

Good points.  Well stated.  True, the Gus love is strong here.  (sounds like Yoda)  I don't like the "hate" word because I don't hate anyone.  So I'll say this:  I don't like the way things have been handled in this whole deal.  You may be right about cleaning house and I don't have a problem with that.

I think if left alone, David Lee could be a good OC, but HDN won't leave him alone.  I heard though, that he (Lee) called all of the plays but one yesterday and that it was a well called game.  I can't know this for sure.  If so, great job!

I think the only reason Gus may be considered divisive at this point is because everyone's nerves are still exposed from this whole fiasco.  It's not from his doing.  I think that divisiveness would be cured by the winning that would take place if Gus was here as OC.

Winning would totally fix this as long as Gus doesn't bring in players and knowingly allow them to be berated by close friends and family, call a code red by other players, and screw up the equipment needed on purpose, calling new coaches "high school", and lie repeatedly about attempts to find another job just for starters.

That would be divisive, even at 10-4.

"It got a little nippy through the pass!"

H&D

For all you people that say "well he's at Tulsa, we are in the SEC".....your stupid.  Gus is doing this against "like" talent, he is using players that are on the same level as their competition and out playing them.  He would have the same effect at Arkansas because he would be using players on the same level as the competition. 

\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

NightTrain

Quote from: jkcrunch on November 19, 2007, 09:14:48 am
This is not that great of an arguement, it is an apples to oranges comparision.   Yes both have cupcakes but one team has more than the other.

You're overlooking the fact that Tulsa IS a cupcake compared to the talent level at BCS schools.

Think about it this way.  Arkansas plays "equal" schools and then goes OOC and beats up on (really bad) cupcakes.

Tulsa never plays anyone with vastly inferior talent either in conf or OOC.  In fact they played BYU and Ok, both of which are out of their league talent wise.

Who has it easier?

The_Iceman

if we dont get butch, how bout:

Venables- Head Coach

Gus- Offensive Coordinator/Assistant Head Coach

What do y'all think?

headalphageek

Quote from: HawgsandDawgs on November 19, 2007, 10:26:03 am
For all you people that say "well he's at Tulsa, we are in the SEC".....your stupid.  Gus is doing this against "like" talent, he is using players that are on the same level as their competition and out playing them.  He would have the same effect at Arkansas because he would be using players on the same level as the competition. 

I am stupid...I've been saying that for years.

jkcrunch

Quote from: wdremington on November 19, 2007, 10:22:51 am
Sorry to burst your bubble, but our offense scores a lot of points.  Our defense was our demise. 

And our offense didn't score much against Kentucky either.

Our offense has performed well against: an injury-riddled and exposed South Carolina, an Alabama that lost to ULM, the state of Mississippi and the SunBelt.

Really, we did have good offensive showings at USC-E and 'bama--but the season has made those accomplishments look worse than they appeared at the time.

This is nothing new. Nuttball has always put up huge numbers against inferior competition and tended to choke against the elite. We are the 10th-grade bully. We make our living extorting the freshmen but tuck our tail or get our ass whipped when a senior calls our bluff.

Doesnt this kinda match Tulsa schedule as well.    We trying to compare apples and oranges my guess is Conf USA does not have a very good recrod against SEC schools in general.  If they ever meet than my guess is Tulsa would put up about 400 yards of offense while losing just as they did against OU.   We are giving them credit for a big day against OU, but they did lose and they lost convincingly.   OU was never in jeopardy.    Losing is losing, you honestly believe Graham thought it was great they had 500 yards of offense, no he was more concerned that they lost.   

dougieritch

I watched Saturday's Game while I listened to the Razorbacks...Tulsa's defense sucks, but they can sure move the football (they are a lot of fun to watch). 

I was really impressed with Charles Clay (LR Central), that kid has over 800 yards receiving not to mention his rushing stats.  Also their QB is unbelievable, the pass he threw for a TD right before the Half was Awesome!

I kept thinking to myself it would be nice if we had this offense at the UofA...I mean there was one series Tulsa has pentalty and it was 1st & 25, they picked up the first down in two plays...Arkansas can barely pick up a 1st & 10 passing. 

Will be a very interesting matchup if we play them!

davis01

Wouldn't it be ironic if Frank Broyles had to hand Gus the Frank Broyles award this year.  Sweet revenge.

NightTrain

Quote from: Destin2bAhog on November 19, 2007, 09:53:15 am

There is no hate of Gus.  What is a little tiring is the Gus love that you guys keep try to push.  Gus isn't the problem.  Unfortunately, you Darksiders are beginning to make Gus as devisive as Nutt.  Gus is a good OC, but quite frankly their SOS is pathetic.   You degrade DL, because you hate Nutt and it isn't fair.   DL didn't lose the Alab and Kent games, it was the defense that lost those games.  He did contribute in the loss of the Aub game because they only scored 7 points.

Lee is degraded because we've been there and done that.  After a year of lofty notions of an NFL passing game, 2007 was just what every darksider said it would be.  Mcfadden left Mcfadden right Mcfadden hurt and punt.  Darksiders were right and huggers were wrong.  You don't want to hear that but again, that's your problem

WE NEED A FRESH START HERE with the AD, Coach, Asst. Coaches and a new team spirit on Hogville.  My fear is some of you guys won't let Nutt go....even when he's gone on this MB and we will continue to have the SOS that has been here for some time now.     

What has Gus done to make huggers hate him?  He did his job as best he could, was treated pretty badly and run off.  He  has yet to say one bad thing about either the university or Nutt.  Seems huggers are taking their cues from Nutt and hating Gus for the same reasons.  He was forced on Nutt so Nutt ran him off.  Hugger nation doesn't want to hear about him having success when Nutt is staring down the barrel at Baylor.  Gus never made it a choice between him and Nutt.  Nutt did that himself with his ego. 

Gus was called high school and laughed at by this coaching staff.  He was forced to leave and of course seeing him do well warms the darksiders collective hearts.  What did you expect?  You would never accept him back because huggers are as egotistical and unwilling to admit they are/were wrong as the one they follow. 

The bottom line is that there is a laundry list of reasons to have distaste for the current regime.  What did Gus do to wrong cause such angst in hugger nation?

arcowboy

Quote from: jkcrunch on November 19, 2007, 09:16:25 am
Quote from: AFWarrior83 on November 19, 2007, 09:11:38 am
Tulsa also has a recruiting class ranked around 109th every year, compared to our 30th.  I don't think anyone can argue that with Gus Malzahn as our OC we had a better chance of scoring in ball games, PLUS I loved all those plays he came up with!!  I don't see us on ESPN very often since he's moved to Tulsa....

Look at the past TV schedule again 7 of the 12 games made TV this year.

I have seen Tulsa on tv more this yr than Arkansas

RZRBack_FAN

Actually the offense didnt score but 1 td in the Kentucky game either. With our cupcake schedule we should have scored more!

Erockster20

Ok here is some proof with some pudding:

Tulsa: 3rd in nation in passing
Ark:  4th in nation in rushing

I would say a wash, both do something really well.  Before you say DAC and Felix, Gus does have a 5th year senior QB.  That has to help as well.

But, what happened to both schools when Gus left???

2006: Tulsa, 394 ypg:  162 rushing, 226 passing.  27.7 points per game.
2007: Tulsa, 559 ypg:  181 rushing, 362 passing.  40.0 points per game.

2006: Ark, 383.0 ypg: 228.5 rushing, 149.5 passing. 28.9 point per game.
2007: Ark, 459.1 ypg,  288.7 rushing, 163.6 passing. 38.9 points per game.

Now each has had improvement.  But assuming the same "scheme" here and a complete change at Tulsa, which improvment would YOU rather have for your program.

The Max Swineberg 7

Look at it this way.  Replace Todd Graham and his staff at Tulsa with Houston Nutt and his staff.

There is no way in hell Tulsa would be first in the West.

The Max Swineberg 7

Quote from: Erockster20 on November 19, 2007, 11:03:36 am2006: Ark, 383.0 ypg: 228.5 rushing, 149.5 passing. 28.9 point per game.
2007: Ark, 459.1 ypg,  288.7 rushing, 163.6 passing. 38.9 points per game.

Arkansas' schedule is much easier this year than last year.  Look at the quality of SEC teams they play AND no USC on the schedule.

31to6

Quote from: jkcrunch on November 19, 2007, 10:37:51 am

Doesnt this kinda match Tulsa schedule as well.    We trying to compare apples and oranges my guess is Conf USA does not have a very good recrod against SEC schools in general.  If they ever meet than my guess is Tulsa would put up about 400 yards of offense while losing just as they did against OU.   We are giving them credit for a big day against OU, but they did lose and they lost convincingly.   OU was never in jeopardy.    Losing is losing, you honestly believe Graham thought it was great they had 500 yards of offense, no he was more concerned that they lost.   
Jesus some of you people are dense.

LSUFan

Bottom Line, it's all about out-coaching your competition.

For some funny reason, a coach can't do this while texting his girlfriend.

GWFan

Tulsa is ranked #1 in nation total offense (Hi Gus!)

Someone said that Gus was one dimentional with passing like Nutt was with rushing, but the facts show otherwise.  Tulsa's offense is more balanced than AR.:

Tulsa is 3rd in passing
Arkasansas is ranked near the bottom at 112th

Arkansas rushing offense 4th
Tulsa rushing offense 34th

BigDeal

Quote from: HawgsandDawgs on November 19, 2007, 10:26:03 am

That's a good point.

GWFan

BlackKnightHogFan

Hey lay off my Black Knights...they're special only a play or two away from .500 this year.  BEAT NAVY!!
Upon the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that upon other fields; on other days, will bear the fruits of victory.  -Douglas MacArthur

Member #:  9524

GWFan

Quote from: Hog Scratch Fever on November 19, 2007, 09:24:35 am...So why the Gus Hate?  All he did was make us better.  All he did was go to another team and make them #1 in the nation in offense.

Statement of the day.  +1000 in my mind.

parrishw

Again, great numbers put up in a joke of a league, just like Hawaii.  As for TT, they dont play the toughest competiton, and i dont know of too many who want Leach as our HC.

Who did the Sooners lose to this weekend?

GWFan

Quote from: parrishw on November 19, 2007, 11:52:51 am

I don't know, but upsets do happen. Ala vs La Monroe.  Bet if they played again this week it would be outrageously bad for La Monroe.  Upset happen, I say blame the coach.  Nevertheless....just sayin'.

The Max Swineberg 7

Quote from: GWFan on November 19, 2007, 12:06:55 pm

I don't know, but upsets do happen. Ala vs La Monroe.  Bet if they played again this week it would be outrageously bad for La Monroe.  Upset happen, I say blame the coach.  Nevertheless....just sayin'.

You know, Tulsa beat La Monroe this year.

:)

GWFan

Quote from: The Max Swineberg 7 on November 19, 2007, 12:52:57 pm

Yes they did, the Tulsa beat them just as bad as Arkansas did, too.

hdandfbout

I beg to differ with you all who think our offense is good.  We have scored lots of points against sun belt teams and low level SEC teams.  Our offense is poor against Tennessee and Auburn.

Gus has taken lesser talent and produced more.....the most.  He produced points against BYU and Oklahoma.  He has no help from his defense.

Loosing Gus Malzahn is the most tragic event to ever happen to Arkansas football.  I don't care what Houston Nutt has ever done or will do, he totally screwed up a great sitituation with Gus Malzahn, Damian Williams, and Mitch Mustain.

I defy anybody to say the having the number one offense is college football is a small acheivement.

ark30inf

You know, I don't care for our coaching staff.  But I came on here and praised them for putting together a good Mississippi State game.  I have not been impressed with Casey Dick but came on here and said he should be proud of the Mississippi State game.  I wish everyone would stop trying to spin stuff for an agenda and just rely on the facts.  Malzahn is doing very, very, well to have his offense ranked first in the nation for a 2nd year offensive coordinator in his first year at a mediocre school with leftover talent from the previous regime.  There is just no rational disputing of that.  There are a lot of things that doesn't mean, but him not being a quality offensive football mind is not one of them.

hogsanity

I do not hate Gus, or his style.  I am tired of the assertions that the offense would work in the SEC.  No one knows if it would or not.  Fla is as close as any to something like Gus uses, and they have a freak at Qb who is their leading rusher.  If the new HC wants to bring Gus back as OC, EXCELLENT, but imo, he should not be considere for HC. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

GiantFoamFingerMak

do you wish we could play army with tulsa's talent and nutt as coach?
Definition of HDN:  "College football's most aptly-surnamed sideline stalker twitches and fidgets like a snake-handling minister preaching a revival in a circus tent by the river while taking crystal meth and being jabbed in the backside by a cattle prod."

ark30inf

Quote from: hogsanity on November 19, 2007, 02:08:48 pm
I do not hate Gus, or his style.  I am tired of the assertions that the offense would work in the SEC.  No one knows if it would or not.  Fla is as close as any to something like Gus uses, and they have a freak at Qb who is their leading rusher.  If the new HC wants to bring Gus back as OC, EXCELLENT, but imo, he should not be considere for HC. 

I would advise Malzahn not to return to Arkansas because he has a built in opposition from day one.  No need to subject yourself to that.  I also don't think he has enough under his belt right now for an SEC Head Coaching position at any school, but will have in a few years.  The only way I would hope for Malzahn is if it came down to him or some unimpressive retread.

I do think his offense will work in the SEC because I don't think his offense is really a freak show like some.  I think he is not so tied to a philosophy as he will try to run it without the horses to do so.  What he has done with Tulsa is very impressive, and would be extremely impressive if he had a defense to back him up.

I wish him great success and am confident that he will be a successful OC at a major program very soon.  When that happens I hope that the obstacles put in his way here will be gone, and that his memories will not be so bad as to preclude him returning.  But if he took the Arkansas HC job at this point I think he would be putting himself into more career struggle than is necessary for him.

The Max Swineberg 7

Quote from: GWFan on November 19, 2007, 01:24:57 pm
Quote from: The Max Swineberg 7 on November 19, 2007, 12:52:57 pm

Yes they did, the Tulsa beat them just as bad as Arkansas did, too.

Arkansas did not play La-Monroe this year.

But good try.

KluchHawg

Quote from: The Max Swineberg 7 on November 19, 2007, 09:52:27 am

Joke of a league?  I bet you the top 4 teams in C-USA could beat Arkansas.

And I wouldn't want leach either, but to say they don't play tough competition....you do know they beat Oklahoma Saturday, right?

Funny you say this, I have just recently heard a rumor that Leach is a possible coach replacement for Nutt.  Now, it just a rumor, and I can't give sources or links.  I hope it's not true myself.

Fatty McGee

Quote from: DonewithNuttless on November 19, 2007, 08:36:51 am
i will say this.... those numbers are alittle inflated because of the competition.

but you can't deny this:

Without Gus and Mustain, we havent beat an SEC team other than South Carolina, Ole Miss, and Mississippi State in 3 years.

The man can run an offense. BRING BACK GUS!!!!!

I don't think the numbers are inflated because of the competition - if anyone's numbers are inflated due to competition, it's Arkansas'.  TU is playing equal talent nearly every game.  Arkansas isn't.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

Le Hogtre

Don't forget Tusla was 21st in total defense in 2006, now they are 104th.  Think GM is putting the defense in some great situations this year?

headalphageek

Quote from: GiantFoamFingerMak on November 19, 2007, 02:14:21 pm

do you wish we could play army with tulsa's talent and nutt as coach?

No....I dont like NUTT or Tulsa's talent

HOGTIEDNJ

Quote from: jaredndockery on November 19, 2007, 08:30:44 am
I didn't see this posted yet (if it is, my apologies). After the Army game Tulsa now has the top-ranked offense, in terms of total yardage, in the country.
That kind of offense also leads to one of the worst defenses in the nation, same source.

Gus the head hog

I get so sick of people talking about strenght of schedule. It's not like he's beating up on these teams with top of the line SEC talent he's doing it with C-USA talent. Therefore it's all equal!!!!!!!!!!!! C'mon lets not be boneheads. Imagine what he could do with SEC talent!