Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tulsa country's top-ranked offense...

Started by jaredndockery, November 19, 2007, 08:30:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jaredndockery

I didn't see this posted yet (if it is, my apologies). After the Army game Tulsa now has the top-ranked offense, in terms of total yardage, in the country.

1. Tulsa (544.6 yards per game)
2. Texas Tech (537.0)
3. Hawai'i (523.9)

20. Arkansas (452.4)
21. LSU (449.9)

Source: http://www.cfbstats.com

badbrad

NightTrain

headalphageek

OKhogfan1959

Gus is making Broyles and Nutt look really stupid..Keep it up Gus..
We would have the #1 offense if Nutt had just stayed out of Gus's way!!
We would be ranked #2 and have a real chance to beat LSU..
But no Nutt and his mafia tan off the future of Arkansas football!!

NightTrain

WF scored 21 against Army.
BC scored 37 against Army.
GT scored 34 against Army.

Tulsa scored 49...the most Army has allowed.

High school won't make it in D1.

jaredndockery

Quote from: headalphageek on November 19, 2007, 08:32:27 am
man i wish we could play army

Oh, but we already get to play Florida International ... and Tennessee-Chattanooga ... and North Texas ... and Ole Miss ...

The_Iceman

i will say this.... those numbers are alittle inflated because of the competition.

but you can't deny this:

Without Gus and Mustain, we havent beat an SEC team other than South Carolina, Ole Miss, and Mississippi State in 3 years.

The man can run an offense. BRING BACK GUS!!!!!

Nashville Fan

FL Int
N Texas
TN Chat

Would all get crushed by Army.

Troy might make a game of it.
Pittman or Bust!

Reaganite

This makes me ill to think of what COULD HAVE BEEN!!!!

hogsanity

Again, great numbers put up in a joke of a league, just like Hawaii.  As for TT, they dont play the toughest competiton, and i dont know of too many who want Leach as our HC.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ReturnToDynasty?

Sorry to burst your bubble, but our offense scores a lot of points.  Our defense was our demise. 

headalphageek

Quote from: jaredndockery on November 19, 2007, 08:36:26 am

Oh, but we already get to play Florida International ... and Tennessee-Chattanooga ... and North Texas ... and Ole Miss ...

I dont have a problem with Gus.  I like Gus and his offense.  Yes we have played cupcakes.  All i was implying was that lower classifications are always at the top of stats because of competition.

OKhogfan1959

Quote from: DonewithNuttless on November 19, 2007, 08:36:51 am
i will say this.... those numbers are alittle inflated because of the competition.

but you can't deny this:

Without Gus and Mustain, we havent beat an SEC team other than South Carolina, Ole Miss, and Mississippi State in 3 years.

The man can run an offense. BRING BACK GUS!!!!!

No more inflated than our offense this year..We played some real bad teams..

I don't think it's inflated. Tulsa has less talent than most of the teams he has played..Also Tulsa put up 400yds against OU..How did we do the last time we played OU? I think we had about 100yds total offense?

jaredndockery

Quote from: ReturnToDynasty? on November 19, 2007, 08:42:24 am
Sorry to burst your bubble, but our offense scores a lot of points.  Our defense was our demise. 

Arkansas did not score "a lot of points" against Auburn or against Tennessee.

hogmafia

Arkansas vs Tulsa in Liberty bowl then we will see.     Tulsa 56 Arkansas 53 then nutt will be gone for sure.

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

Let's make some waves.

IMAballHawg

Quote from: jaredndockery on November 19, 2007, 08:49:33 am

What he meant to say was "Our offense scores a lot of points against SUN BELT teams and MISSISSIPPI".
Color me impressed, lets offer a contract extension to 2012!
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q70/tkseib/texastoiletlarge.jpg<br /><br />Welcome to a new dawn in Razorback Athletics!

Nashville Fan

So then our offense didn't score enough. You can not choose a ball control strategy and lose TOP. AR ranks 65th in TOP. So, I would say the offense is the problem... the HC has choosen a style of play that this offense can not deliver. As a result the defense in on the field to much late in the game as a result they give up late scores. There is no margin of error, if the special teams gives up one big play, AR loses the game.
Pittman or Bust!

Gus the head hog

All of you people say oh look at the competition he does that against. Imagine what Gus could do with SEC talent. Yeah! Imagine that!

Destin2bAhog

Quote from: jaredndockery on November 19, 2007, 08:30:44 am
I didn't see this posted yet (if it is, my apologies). After the Army game Tulsa now has the top-ranked offense, in terms of total yardage, in the country.

1. Tulsa (544.6 yards per game)
2. Texas Tech (537.0)
3. Hawai'i (523.9)

20. Arkansas (452.4)
21. LSU (449.9)

Source: http://www.cfbstats.com

It's amazing that the 3 schools (Tulsa, Texas and Hawaii) have the weakest SOS in the country.   That's why most of the country doesn't have Hawaii in their conversation when they talk BCS or NC.

Hawaii SOS = 119 (easiest in the country)
Tulsa SOS = 116 (4th easiest in the country)
Texas SOS = 93
Oklahoma SOS = 94 (explains why they lost to Texas Tech, huh)

Arkansas SOS = 57 (it will go higer after next week LSU#1)
LSU SOS = 53

I wonder what the Offense #'s, W-L records for the Razorbacks would be with any of those SOS.

I give Gus credit, but please put it in the proper perspective of the teams their playing.

Source:  http://teamrankings.com/ncf/27powerratings.php3

Tripod1

Quote from: hogsanity on November 19, 2007, 08:42:22 am
Again, great numbers put up in a joke of a league, just like Hawaii.  As for TT, they dont play the toughest competiton, and i dont know of too many who want Leach as our HC.
When are people going to quit downgrading all these leagues and accept the fact that on a given Saturday if you don't bring your "A" game you will get beat.  Ask Alabama about UL Monroe, or Michigan about App. State just to name a couple.  Numbers posted by Tulsa have to be considered ligit regardless of their league.  Besides look at Arkansas' won loss SEC record under Nutt.  Look at the W"s from the Mississippi schools and USC East, then look at the W's verses the cream of the crop in the SEC.  How can anyone sit around and blast Tulsa or any other school because of their conference when our own Hogs cannot compete in the SEC outside of the 3 schools mentioned? 

hogmafia

that score might mean something if we beat those tough teams instead of losing to them. If we dont win then that SOS score doesnt matter. it just makes us look stupid.

hogsanity

Quote from: IMAballHawg on November 19, 2007, 08:57:48 am
Quote from: jaredndockery on November 19, 2007, 08:49:33 am

What he meant to say was "Our offense scores a lot of points against SUN BELT teams and MISSISSIPPI".
Color me impressed, lets offer a contract extension to 2012!

And Bama and SC.  We score points against teams we have more talent than. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogsanity

Quote from: Tripod1 on November 19, 2007, 09:00:10 am
When are people going to quit downgrading all these leagues and accept the fact that on a given Saturday if you don't bring your "A" game you will get beat.  Ask Alabama about UL Monroe, or Michigan about App. State just to name a couple.  Numbers posted by Tulsa have to be considered ligit regardless of their league.  Besides look at Arkansas' won loss SEC record under Nutt.  Look at the W"s from the Mississippi schools and USC East, then look at the W's verses the cream of the crop in the SEC.  How can anyone sit around and blast Tulsa or any other school because of their conference when our own Hogs cannot compete in the SEC outside of the 3 schools mentioned? 

How can anyone blast their league?  It is easy, their league is horrible, and their schedule is below pathetic.  Their SOS is 116, and that is with a game aginst against OU.  Do you not find it a little odd that the 2 top offenses also have the easiest and 4th easiest schedules in the country?

I am not saying that a Tulsa type offense wont work in a particular league, but I do think it is predisposed to being inflated in leagues like Tu and Hawaii play in.

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

Didn't Louisiana Monroe just beat Alabama?  The same Bama team that beat us??
Let's make some waves.

pigmania

Quote from: headalphageek on November 19, 2007, 08:44:00 am

I dont have a problem with Gus.  I like Gus and his offense.  Yes we have played cupcakes.  All i was implying was that lower classifications are always at the top of stats because of competition.
It's not like they are at LSU's talent level playing in C-USA. Many of Tulsa opponents have scored a bunch of points against them due to their defense. So are you willing to say that these teams pad their numbers because of the competition? They are in the same "lower classification".

hogmafia

Oh and Tulsa beat BYU which is in the top 25. Did we beat anyone that is in the top 25?

Big Daddy

Gus didn't beat Army with SEC athletes. He beat them with Conference USA athletes. He could do the same thing in the SEC with SEC athletes. It's all relative.

gcraise1

Yeah our offense scores alot of points, against sunbelt teams. Gus is in his league kicking arse. Is Arkansas? Not the players fault, but 8 offense plays will only get you so far!!

HogSophist

signature removed by Hogville staff. (but Erie's quote revived because I missed it)

In an era where there are over $70 trillion in future obligations, beyond the debt,   taking up practices in budgeting that are tantamount to saying 'And then in 2040, a magic dragon will sh*tpoopy $100 trillion and fix our problems'  simply isn't wise. --ErieHog

rabrya

Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on November 19, 2007, 09:03:45 am
Quote from: DonewithNuttless on November 19, 2007, 08:36:51 am

They are?  Is Tulsa that much more dominant relative to their competition?

I agree. Also, How much more could he do with the talent we have this year?

CalHog

It's amazing that the 3 schools (Tulsa, Texas and Hawaii) have the weakest SOS in the country.   That's why most of the country doesn't have Hawaii in their conversation when they talk BCS or NC.

Hawaii SOS = 119 (easiest in the country)
Tulsa SOS = 116 (4th easiest in the country)
Texas SOS = 93
Oklahoma SOS = 94 (explains why they lost to Texas Tech, huh)

Arkansas SOS = 57 (it will go higer after next week LSU#1)
LSU SOS = 53

I wonder what the Offense #'s, W-L records for the Razorbacks would be with any of those SOS.

I give Gus credit, but please put it in the proper perspective of the teams their playing.

Source:  http://teamrankings.com/ncf/27powerratings.php3

[/quote]

It's amazing to me that you can not relate the talent levels to the SOS. 

headalphageek

Quote from: pigmania on November 19, 2007, 09:06:37 am
Quote from: headalphageek on November 19, 2007, 08:44:00 am

It's not like they are at LSU's talent level playing in C-USA. Many of Tulsa opponents have scored a bunch of points against them due to their defense. So are you willing to say that these teams pad their numbers because of the competition? They are in the same "lower classification".

Yes.  Teams do pad there numbers in "Lower Classifications" to get higher up in the stats so they have something to talk about during recruiting.

AFWarrior83

Tulsa also has a recruiting class ranked around 109th every year, compared to our 30th.  I don't think anyone can argue that with Gus Malzahn as our OC we had a better chance of scoring in ball games, PLUS I loved all those plays he came up with!!  I don't see us on ESPN very often since he's moved to Tulsa....
Hogville member since 2005.

jkcrunch

This is not that great of an arguement, it is an apples to oranges comparision.   Yes both have cupcakes but one team has more than the other.

Whataboar™

David Lee for Gus!  :(
Talk about coming out on the short end of the stick, folks.
"Daddy. When you and mommy first met, did you love yourself first or did mommy love you first?'' _ our then 7-year-old daughter.

headalphageek

Quote from: AFWarrior83 on November 19, 2007, 09:11:38 am
Tulsa also has a recruiting class ranked around 109th every year, compared to our 30th.  I don't think anyone can argue that with Gus Malzahn as our OC we had a better chance of scoring in ball games, PLUS I loved all those plays he came up with!!  I don't see us on ESPN very often since he's moved to Tulsa....

I do agree with you.  I wish we still had Gus as our OC.  He brought excitement to the field.

jkcrunch

Quote from: AFWarrior83 on November 19, 2007, 09:11:38 am

Look at the past TV schedule again 7 of the 12 games made TV this year.

BigDeal

I'm tired of this ! The only way this argument will be settled is for an Arkansas VS Tulsa showdown !!

42toddler

Don't forget, he did it while being a man based in integrity. 
The obvious common denominator from last year to this is Gus.  His success at Tulsa only validates this.  I agree, give him top tier talent, and he will dominate top tier conferences. 

Hog Scratch Fever

Okay, okay....I know we have a lot of Gus Crush going on hear and admittedly, I'm included.  We know by the records and success, that Gus is good at what he does.

I just don't understand the Gus Haters.  (I know you might not actually "hate" him, I just thought about it and couldn't find a better word.)

Is it just because he's not Houston?  Is it just because he was involved in this mess?  What has he done wrong?

Before Gus, our offense was pretty bad.  4-7, 5-6 in the two years previous.  Also, remember the loss to Vanderbilt and the fact that Felix and Dmac got 1 play each in that game?  What kind of talent evaluation is that?

With Gus, suddenly misdirection is put into a previously predictable offense.  Even under restrictions, our offense became feared across the SEC.  And before you say it was ALL Dmac, look at how teams have been able to contain Dmac with all the unimaginative runs off guard and tackle this year.

We were unstoppable in only one game this year, and that was the SC game, when Houston found Gus' playbook from last year.  It was too obvious.  Misdirection was back in the mix.

Then Tennessee.  Back to Nuttball.  Why?  Ego and Pride.  Pitiful.  Maybe he knew he was gone and didn't care.

So why the Gus Hate?  All he did was make us better.  All he did was go to another team and make them #1 in the nation in offense.

Use your stats, your talk of what conference he's in.......whatever.  The fact is, wherever he goes.....he wins.  I just don't see how a hog fan can dislike that from a guy who "wants to be a Razorback".

"It got a little nippy through the pass!"

Nashville Fan

Question is this, regardless of talent ... you are in an overtime game and could pick you coordinator, which OC would you pick - HDN, DL or GM?
Pittman or Bust!

RazorsEdge

http://teamrankings.com/ncf/27powerratings.php3

This site which is being used to bash Tulsa is not a SOS  ranking like some are trying to use it as.  Would someone care to explain to me how Baylor is #4 and Oklahoma is #94?

Duke is #1?  Could some of you who are using this site as proof of your theories explain how the site works.  How is Duke's schedule tougher than Auburn's schedule?

Idahog

Quote from: Nashville Fan on November 19, 2007, 09:26:12 am
Question is this, regardless of talent ... you are in an overtime game and could pick you coordinator, which OC would you pick - HDN, DL or GM?

No brainer: David Lee.

Ok ok, I'm drunk on grandpa's cough syrup. 
Quote from: Pork Twain on February 11, 2015, 07:11:54 am
Let me explain how this works...  If I have four really good meals in a row, I am thankful for that and I do not withhold my thanks for fear that the next meal might suck.

Hog Scratch Fever

Nice point.  +1.  By the way....my choice is GM.  I will give HDN his due with a few good OT games, however, it was mostly Matt Jones heroics that won those.

slopinhogs

win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

Tripod1

Quote from: hogsanity on November 19, 2007, 09:05:57 am
Quote from: Tripod1 on November 19, 2007, 09:00:10 am

How can anyone blast their league?  It is easy, their league is horrible, and their schedule is below pathetic.  Their SOS is 116, and that is with a game aginst against OU.  Do you not find it a little odd that the 2 top offenses also have the easiest and 4th easiest schedules in the country?

I am not saying that a Tulsa type offense wont work in a particular league, but I do think it is predisposed to being inflated in leagues like Tu and Hawaii play in.
Why do you blast their strength of schedule?  You point to OUR strength of schedule but you fail to mention that we have L's beside the strength of our schedule and W's beside the weakness of our schedule.  Using strength of schedule as an argument is only good WHEN YOU ARE BEATING THOSE TEAMS.

hogmafia

Hog Scratch Fever

Quote from: Idahog on November 19, 2007, 09:34:28 am

No brainer: David Lee.

Ok ok, I'm drunk on grandpa's cough syrup

Nice Dumb and Dumber reference.  +1.