Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What's your favorite Razorback moment?

Started by Amityvillehogger, March 07, 2005, 10:42:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeirwin

Quote from: heathshogs on March 09, 2005, 10:06:04 am
Among those I haven't seen posted yet, some of my favorite to attend were:
Watching the goalposts come down and be carried to Dickson street after beating Tennessee.

Beating #21 (?) Kentucky and #2 Auburn in back to back games to finish the 1999 regular season in basketball. Then Kareem Reid jumped on press row signalling the students to come on down.
Thanks to the SEC office those type moments will fade into history. In the future such demonsrations will result in a big fine.
Sleepy Slive is on a mission to make attending sporting events in the SEC about as exciting as a trip to the library.
"Quiet please. No talking."

Hogghead

Arkansas 31 Oklahoma 10! Orange Bowl 1978. Lou Hotlz 1st year and we finished 11-1 and Number 3 in the Nation. (Fricking Texas & Earl Cambell) No Hog team has finished that high in the polls in 27 years. 1994 Hogs Win NCAA Basketball Title! Rollin with Nolan Baby! Suites & Boots! 40 Minutes of pure Hell! Corliss, Scotty, Corey, Dewight, Clint, Darnell, Lee, Al and the rest of the crew! 

heathshogs

Yep, it only costs $5,000 to rush the court or field once every 3 years. Maybe the Student Government should do like another school and set up a fund to pay for it. The problem is the 2nd time its about $20,000. And a 3rd offense in 3 years is $50,000.

I agree with their idea that rushing the court was getting out of hand at some places, but you're right they are continually cutting the fun out of college athletics.

I'm amazed at some of the things students get warned for at BWA: pictures of a Baby with Brady's head on it, doing anything behind the announcers at halftime, shouting a random curse word after a horrible call, or furthermore starting the "ref you suck" chant. I guess they are trying to cut everything short before it turns into one of these ACC arenas or other places in the country where you have some guys chanting "I killed your father." in reference to a coaches father being fatally beaten. Now that is WAY over the line.

A ticket is not permission to be entertained. It's a license to go to work.--Hognoxious

Hogghead

Quote from: jabohog on March 09, 2005, 09:45:46 am
You've named most all of them I can think of except I didn't see the basketball win over #1 North Carolina when they had Michael Jordan and we had Joe Kleine.

" The ball goes down to Ballentine in the Corner, Ballentine to the post, He spins, He shoots, It's GOOD! Joe Ballentine Hits it! It's good, it's good, it's good! Arkansas has just knocked off #1 North Carolina here in Pine Bluff!   

Macgyver_Hawg

Quote from: mikeirwin on March 09, 2005, 10:19:07 am
Quote from: heathshogs on March 09, 2005, 10:06:04 am
Among those I haven't seen posted yet, some of my favorite to attend were:
Watching the goalposts come down and be carried to Dickson street after beating Tennessee.

Beating #21 (?) Kentucky and #2 Auburn in back to back games to finish the 1999 regular season in basketball. Then Kareem Reid jumped on press row signalling the students to come on down.
Thanks to the SEC office those type moments will fade into history. In the future such demonsrations will result in a big fine.
Sleepy Slive is on a mission to make attending sporting events in the SEC about as exciting as a trip to the library.
"Quiet please. No talking."

Mike, how can Slive still be heading the SEC?  Are we the only ones that feel he's just not what you need for the this conference?  The officiating, the fines for fan celebrations, and asking schools to remove students who yell too much at refs are just a few things that make him almost John White'ish.

heathshogs

Quote from: MacGyver_Hawg on March 09, 2005, 11:28:11 am
Mike, how can Slive still be heading the SEC? Are we the only ones that feel he's just not what you need for the this conference? The officiating, the fines for fan celebrations, and asking schools to remove students who yell too much at refs are just a few things that make him almost John White'ish.

I think this may be part of the problem. While we fans cannot stand him, school officials like John White probably like his style. 
A ticket is not permission to be entertained. It's a license to go to work.--Hognoxious

gatecrasher

I'll never forget the night in Charlotte when we beat Duke...and I was one of the ones on the court as the game ended.  That's one of the things that make college sports so wonderful.  You mean to tell me that that kind of celebrating is being phased out?   How sad is that?   :(

HornetHog

No comparison........78 Orange Bowl.......There has never been more pre-game hype, drama, and doubt.  Thats what puts this event over the rest.  Championships are up there...US Reid's shot...any time you whip Texas is up there, especially when they are ranked, but nothing had the hype of the Orange Bowl in 78.

Oklahoma Had:
Heisman Trophy winner running back - Billy Sims, All American QB -JC Watts   , All American RB- Kenny King, hell, half of the team was All American.  If that wasn't bad enough, Holtz suspends our starting Tailback and fullback, among other starters.  Also our all American guard, Leotis Harris, tore up his knee in practice before the game.  so at this point we felt like the word "underdog" didn't apply is was so lop-sided......Dan Hampton had fun slapping around their back field while backup running back Roland Sales made history.     The 74 Arkansas vs USC Trojans game actually was very similar.

HH
Former Hog QB / National Private QB Coach QBFarm.com / Varsity HS Football Coach / Hog Fan since birth

sooie dog

Quote from: Hogghead on March 09, 2005, 11:25:54 am
Quote from: jabohog on March 09, 2005, 09:45:46 am
You've named most all of them I can think of except I didn't see the basketball win over #1 North Carolina when they had Michael Jordan and we had Joe Kleine.

" The ball goes down to Ballentine in the Corner, Ballentine to the post, He spins, He shoots, It's GOOD! Joe Ballentine Hits it! It's good, it's good, it's good! Arkansas has just knocked off #1 North Carolina here in Pine Bluff!

I thought it was Charles Ballentine from deep in the corner.

Calvin N Hawgs

I was stationed in Germany for the Thurman shot heard round the world.  It was great, but I didn't have anybody to celebrate with.

The 78 Orange Bowl was when I became a Hog fan to the bone.  When Holtz suspended our three guys I thought it was a huge mistake.  I remember at some point during the game Steve Little sneaking unto the huddle on third down and did a quick kick.  I remember Roland Sales running for the Orange Bowl record (It's been broken since)...I was in 7th grade and it was all that was talked about the next day at school!

Good Times,,,...good times!

rricha

the baylor games 1979 and 1981

smu 1982

Arkanasas beating North carolina and Michael Joran in 1984 on the shot by Charles  Balentine

Arazorbacknut

Gosh, I loved reading all these. They are all great memories.
My favorite is Thurman's rainbow 3 in the NC against Duke in 94.
I was there in the monsoon, as someone else posted, in 01 in Fayeteville against TN. I too was absolutely SOAKED! But I didn't care. I wish we would have won though.

hognelson

Quote from: rricha on March 09, 2005, 06:17:32 pm
the baylor games 1979 and 1981

smu 1982

Arkanasas beating North carolina and Michael Joran in 1984 on the shot by Charles Balentine
Oh my, this crap I have been watching this year almost made me forget that little baseline jumper against UNC.  Seems eons ago....

HogInCO

US Reed's half court shot in Austin to beat Louisville and watching the people hanging on the goal posts before time expired when we beat Texas 42 to 11. I was at both of these games in the band.

porkbellies

widespreadsooie

Quote from: Amityvillehogger on March 07, 2005, 10:42:57 amI'm not that old, so mine would have to be miracle on markem.  Jones to Birmingham, "touchdown arkansas"!!

Maybe even the final game of the super regional last year and hogs going to omaha.

4th and 23 or whatever in Oxford. Losing to Bama in 2010, on that day my foundation as a Razorback fan was truly secreted in salt water from my pathetic tear ducts.

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: HogInCO on December 02, 2021, 12:35:05 amUS Reed's half court shot in Austin to beat Louisville and watching the people hanging on the goal posts before time expired when we beat Texas 42 to 11. I was at both of these games in the band.

Both great ones. I was in the stands for 42-11.

I'm curious HogInCO, how did you locate a thread from 2005 to bump with new stuff??
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

1dog

Miracle on Markem. I was 12 and we were at the deer camp. Everyone was gathered up in the big camp watching the game. It was around 20 or so adults. I used to get pissed when we lost so I went out to my dads truck and turned the radio on. When I heard Mr Eells make the call I hauled ass and swung the door open about the time Jones threw the ball. The place went wild. I remember me and my cousin made a good bit of cash that night getting everyone beer while they were playing poker. The good ole days.

SoonerSooie

1978 Orange Bowl. I lived in Shawnee, Ok. and was minister there. We had a house full of church folks over-- I was the ONLY HOG in the house, even my wife who would later become an OU alum! Hogs were prohibitive underdogs.

Holtz had suspended five players. Roland Sales, backup RB, ran wild through the OU defense! Hogs recovered an OU fumble righout of the gate and scored.

Final score 31-6!  I had several of the church members get up and leave saying they were not gonna take all that verbal abuse I was throwing around! LOL!

At church the following (Wednesday?) one of the deacons (all in good humor) came up to be me before services and said, "You can talk about anything you want to. You can even talk as long as you want to. But if you even say one thing about the game, we will fire  you on the spot and run you out of the building on a rail!"

When I got up, I stood silent for a moment and then just leaned over the mic and said "31-6, Enough said!" The place erupted in laughter! It was awesome!

LZH

Fwiw, even if they were overrated at the time, I rather enjoyed smacking Texas around earlier this year.

The look on Sark's and their fans' faces was worth a zillion dollars.

Steef

BigHoggard

Quote from: LZH on December 02, 2021, 05:16:18 amFwiw, even if they were overrated at the time, I rather enjoyed smacking Texas around earlier this year.

The look on Sark's and their fans' faces was worth a zillion dollars.

AHHHHHHHHHHH! good stuff right there

BigHoggard

My FIRST memory of watching a big Hog play was the US Reed Half court shot against Louisville. I was around 12 yrs old and was just beginning to really pay attention and know what was going on.
as a kid I thought I remembered the shot being from the 3/4 hash mark. but maybe that just made the story and memory better LOL! WPS!

liljo

Yep, when Reed hit the half-court shot--I spilled a mug of beer...on the ceiling!
Hogville: A place where Hog fans gather to discuss all things Razorbacks in peace.

Hogwop

The Dunk against UK was a helluva moment
Pigga what?!
Quote from: PonderinHog on April 16, 2018, 10:27:02 amAn emoji is worth a hundred words.
9-07-1958 - 12-2-2011 R.I.P Mom, I will always miss you and love you.

hogsanity

First question How did a thread from 2005 get resurrected?

mine are a little different. 1 was MSU game in 2003, it was the 1st game my oldest went to. It was me, my dad, and my son. Another was Troy in 2009, 1st game for my youngest, it was me, both my boys and my dad.

My 1st real memory of watching the Hogs was the 76 Cotton Bowl against Ga. We used to have a huge NYD lunch at my grandmas house, so there must have been 30 people sitting around watching that game.

1st game I went to, 1979. Hogs lost 13-10, but I had never seen such a crowd before. ABC was there, it was the game of the week.  We were in the 50, but were in some folding chairs right at field level. I had to stand on my chair the whole game to see over the players on the sideline.

Too many specific plays/games to really come up with one favorite in that regard. Some obvious are the 94 NCG in bball. Texas 81 in football. Qualls dunk. But thats just a few of many. 

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Tuskeroni Soprano

Quote from: Amityvillehogger on March 07, 2005, 10:42:57 amI'm not that old, so mine would have to be miracle on markem.  Jones to Birmingham, "touchdown arkansas"!!

Maybe even the final game of the super regional last year and hogs going to omaha.

Beating LSU at War Memorial Stadium while locking down a trip to the sugar bowl. Then joining in with a full house singing "pour some sugar on me". Absolutely fantastic.

Another one for me was the capital one bowl in 2007. All while we lost, my parents got us tickets to the game and to Disney world for Christmas that year. We stayed in Daytona and drove into Disney and Orlando for the bowl game. It was a fantastic trip and memory.
I donate $0.00/year to Arkansas NIL.

Quote from: RME on October 09, 2022, 12:34:20 amHahhaha. Exposed. [CENSORED] loser you are, man. Changing up a couple words in the articles you find ain't gonna hide it. There's always a bigger fish. And in this case, that [CENSORED] bigger fish is me. Get used to it.
Ok.

demonHOG1013

1/29/95: Super Bowl Sunday. Arkansas vs Kentucky in Bud Walton.  I was 12.  Dad and I stood outside in the snow trying to get tickets with no luck.  Finally about 5 min after tip off an usher opened the door and let us in without tickets.  Reggie Merritt hit a half court shot to end the 1st half.  Hogs beat #5 Kentucky 94-92.

mj4president

99 Tennessee
Miracle on Markham
Dr. Pinch Hit blasting a nuke
Ole Miss Overtime
"Let's do this tonight! Nothing like a legendary night to remember. I'll tell all my grand pups one day about the 3 am walk off home run by Jared Gates." MJ4President just hours before it happened.

HoggyBoy

I'm shocked that the Michael Qualls dunk against Kentucky isn't at the top of anyone's list! Come on!
Hmmmm

Simple Swineman

Quote from: Theolesnort on March 07, 2005, 01:17:40 pmThe strolling with Nolan game against Texas when Mayberry hits the three and sends it into overtime.

This is my favorite without a doubt.

liljo

The Dunk to beat Kentuck...That really was a great moment. Scotty Thurman's shot to seal the NC against Duke was epic. The Orange Bowl win against OU was worth losing a job over. There are so many great moments in Razorbacks history, but I probably remember the 42-11 win over Texas most of all, because I lived in Dallas and watched the game in a bar filled with Longhorn fans. At first it was really crowded in that bar. The crowd thinned pretty quickly, and by half-time me and the bartender called the Hogs.

Hogville: A place where Hog fans gather to discuss all things Razorbacks in peace.

orvillesghost

I will confine myself to football

Scott Bull to Teddy Barnes Dec. 6, 1975, Ark, 31 A & M 6

I was about five rows up from where Barnes caught it, two All Americans were all over him and yet he catches it...

The final seconds in LR Oct. 20, 1979, Arkansas 17, Texas 14, I was a UA student then and they had beat us for so many years in a row, to this day it's the loudest Razorback crowd I can remember.

pignparadise

All In person.
1. US Reed Shot
2. Scotty's shot against Duke
3. Miracle on Markham
4. OU Orange Bowl when Ok fumbles early
5. The "Immortal" Teddy Barnes catch
"The race is long.. and in the end it's only with yourself.....", Baz Luhrman "Sunscreen"

hoglady

The win in Pine Bluff against the #1 Tarheels.
The Orange Bowl win over Oklahoma - it was so surprising how we dominated/ most of us thought the suspensions would do us in.
Miracle on Markham - I can still see it happen in my mind and the fans around me at WMS - it was crazy.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Danimal

I won't list a true "favorite" because there are so many, but a moment that still stands out to me is the first play from scrimmage in the 78 Orange Bowl -- because I KNEW RIGHT THEN we were about to seriously kick some Okie A$$..

Hereford

If this is for every sport and the shot by Thurman to win a Natty ain't number 1 either your young or something is wrong. That's for a natty

Snouty

31-6 Arkansas beats Texas in football in the rain at WMS in Little Rock. 

Bacons Rebellion

Beating USC in Little Rock in 1974, 22-7.

U. S. Reed's shot to beat Louisville. It was just on TV of course, but for a few seconds, I thought Dad was going to have a heart attack.

And a different one, being ahead of Texas A&M something like 24-3 at the half in '80, and it was COLD, COLD, COLD with something coming out of the sky a little, and all my friends leaving and going back to the house with their dates, and me making my date stay to watch A&M come back and tie the game 24-24 before Ish kicked a game-ending field goal to win 27-24.

plumbhog

The longest TD run in Razorback history (99 yards) the whole 3 minutes it took to get there.  ;D
bigdaddyhawg,<br />"Tyler wants to find the short receiver almost every single time.  He rarely even looks down the field. Folks, this IS a problem and it is going to continue to severely limit our pass game."<br /><br />Six days later, Tyler throws for a school record 510 yards against A&M

PonderinHog

Quote from: plumbhog on December 02, 2021, 06:29:34 pmThe longest TD run in Razorback history (99 yards) the whole 3 minutes it took to get there.  ;D
Slow motion...

Oliver

Quote from: Hereford on December 02, 2021, 05:47:39 pmIf this is for every sport and the shot by Thurman to win a Natty ain't number 1 either your young or something is wrong. That's for a natty

My thoughts

farfromgroovins

Quote from: plumbhog on December 02, 2021, 06:29:34 pmThe longest TD run in Razorback history (99 yards) the whole 3 minutes it took to get there.  ;D

He's at the 10!
He's at the 9!
He's at the 8!
He's at.....

factchecker

most recently?

every time I heard this song

because it meant the man was on his way

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Klamath Hog

1. When Chaggie was fired.  2. When Pittman didn't suck.  3.  When Pittman was really good.
How many of you work at a job where someone in full body armor is trying to stop you from doing your job? - PonderinHog

hawginTN

I have two that stick out to me. Maybe because I was there, in the end zones both times, up close.

And also because I was 10 and 11 in '74-75.

The first was Pat Haden stepping out of the end zone for a safety. The crowd erupted. And USC was rattled. Amazing night for a ten year old hog fan beating the eventual national champs, and Heisman Trophy winner.

The second was Teddy Barnes catch at the end of first half against ATM. I will not ever forget the stadium erupting. It was awesome. After that, ATM was toast that night. And at that time as a child those Razorback players were my hero's.

I have many great Hog game memories, but those two nights I still remember quite well.

It's amazing how stuff like that impacts a child. Here I am, almost a half century later, posting on a Razorback message board.

LDHognozzle

The Orange Bowl was memorable because I was in basic at Lackland and took sick call, and with the help of hospital orderlies did get to watch most of the game.

I watched U S Reed's shot with a squadron compadre from Fayetteville named Curtis Mahone. He held the other side of the Arkansas state flag I brought, from about 7 rows up, backcourt, southwest corner where Reed caught the in bound pass. My recollection has a small contingent of Cardinals on the northwest corner, to my left peripheral vision, standing in jubilant fashion, then the shot left hand, the trajectory looked true, and suddenly one section fell and the rest of the freaking drum rose in fandamoniuim, and the Razorback band marched all around the inner concourse, leaving an erotic feel.

But the 75, end of season match with A&M holds special meaning not so much for the fantastic final score, but more for the after game activity. With thousands of fans streaming onto the hallowed grounds of War Memorial Stadium around me, does one of Pulaski County's largest possible deputy step in front of my skinny person, and before I knew it, the Pulaski County Porker did take me down in Mack truck fashion, before roughly hauling me toward the southwest corner of the stadium where we met my dad, just jumping over the railing. The old man was saying something like "that's my son", the cop made the the mistake of poking dad on the chest. Next thing I know dad throws a wicked right hook, I threw a weak straight right, then a lot of people arrived, things quickly resolved, and I did not have to run bleachers, and pick up cushions that night. Gracefully, the Frank Broyles show did not come on until after church on Sundays, giving at least a week to head off any stories that may arise about why a deacon and his son whooped a cop in such jubilant fashion.
Never been a horse that couldn't be rode. Never been a cowboy that couldn't be throw'd.

supersaint

I picked up a fumble against Alabama and thought I was going to score the game winning TD vs Bama on ABC. I made it a few steps toward the end zone before getting knocked out of bounds.  My teammates mobbed me.  We failed to score and lost, though.  After the game my position coach told me he was glad I was knocked out of bounds because time would have expired before I scored.  There were 2 minutes left and I had about 35 yards to go. 

Also a poster on here called me a "little biotch" last week.  That's my second favorite. 
There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

hoghearted

It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HoggyBoy on December 02, 2021, 09:07:27 amI'm shocked that the Michael Qualls dunk against Kentucky isn't at the top of anyone's list! Come on!

It was great and exciting but it didn't cause us to win a National Championship. There are other basketball highlights that are much more important.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi