Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Workouts?

Started by blueshog2001, May 01, 2007, 12:25:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

blueshog2001

Has anyone heard how Pelphrey has the team training?  Just curious?  I remeber with Nolan those boys never seemed to tire, but with Heath, I felt like we kind of lost our legs.

hawgsav1

Nolan and Mike Anderson use to run the 40 minute drill two or three times a day, starting at 6 AM.  3-man weaves with a medicine ball, and 2 hours of playing in the afternoon non-stop.  Heath definitely didn't do that with his players.

Here is a website for that.

http://www.columbiatribune.com/2006/BasketballBonus/20061109p003.asp
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

Held Hawgstage

Will people stop blaming Heath for our players short comings. It's called pride! It's about wanting to compete and be out there on the floor. The great players not only work on their game, they work on their wind. You don't need a coach to push you to be physically fit. THIS IS DIVISION 1 BASKETBALL! If you are not in shape and want to play for fun and always got your hand up to get subbed out, GO PLAY INTERMURALS! Heath didn't force his players to jack up jump shots against against USC because they didn't have the heart to take it to the rim. Heath wasn't yelling at them to keep jacking up three's.

hawgsav1

Quote from: Held Hawgstage on May 01, 2007, 06:41:49 pm
Will people stop blaming Heath for our players short comings. It's called pride! It's about wanting to compete and be out there on the floor. The great players not only work on their game, they work on their wind. You don't need a coach to push you to be physically fit. THIS IS DIVISION 1 BASKETBALL! If you are not in shape and want to play for fun and always got your hand up to get subbed out, GO PLAY INTERMURALS! Heath didn't force his players to jack up jump shots against against USC because they didn't have the heart to take it to the rim. Heath wasn't yelling at them to keep jacking up three's.

It takes a coach to get a team to compete.  Plenty of professionals and even college players end up being out of shape and losing their motivation until a coach gives it to them back.  Yes you do need a coach to often push yourself to be in shape.  A coach's responsibility is to motivate his players who have the talent.

Held Hawgstage

Quote from: hawgsav1 on May 01, 2007, 06:51:59 pm
It takes a coach to get a team to compete.  Plenty of professionals and even college players end up being out of shape and losing their motivation until a coach gives it to them back.  Yes you do need a coach to often push yourself to be in shape.  A coach's responsibility is to motivate his players who have the talent.

True...but this is what separates bench players from starters. Why some can't go from high school b ball to college. Why some don't go from college to pro's. Why some are 1 million dollars a year and some are 20 million a year. Why some are hall of famers and others not. It comes down to desire. The will to win. A coach can't play for you. You have to play. This is what Vincent Hunter failed to realize.

justonefan

to coach (def):  to instruct, prepare.  To teach and train.  Part of coaching is to help an individual improve their strengths AND to recognize and shore up their weaknesses, whether that is skill, teamwork or motivation.  One thing I remember and respect about Nolan is that he always said, "the players win, but if we lose, I lose".

hawgsav1

Quote from: justonefan on May 01, 2007, 07:04:19 pm

to coach (def):  to instruct, prepare.  To teach and train.  Part of coaching is to help an individual improve their strengths AND to recognize and shore up their weaknesses, whether that is skill, teamwork or motivation.  One thing I remember and respect about Nolan is that he always said, "the players win, but if we lose, I lose".

Very good point.  The greatest basketball coaches tend to be the greatest motivators.  Pat Riley is known for his motivational skills (he's good at X's and O's, but his motivational skills and training are number one).  Phil Jackson is one of the greatest motivators and in fact admits himself that he is not a great X's and O's guy.  A coach is not simply a recruiter.  This is the difference between Heath and Mike Anderson.  While Heath was at U of A, he was able to garner some of the nation's best talent and put them on the court.  However, the languished under the lack of leadership and guidance.  Famutimi kept jacking up threes, Darian Townes got fat, and Steven Hill never developed an offensive game.  These players were all 4 and 5 star recruits by anyone's standards.  However, Mike Anderson never had that kind of talent at UAB and look at what he did with those guys.  Squeaky Johnson developed from a guard who never took a shot to a guard who could hit the big ones and the best on-the-ball defender in college basketball.  So many PGs remarked on how difficult it was to play him.  Anderson developed players who were cast-offs and rejects from major college basketball and took them to another level.  If a coach's job was simply to recruit, he would be called the Head Recruiter, not the Head Coach.

razorhead94

May 01, 2007, 07:45:56 pm #7 Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 07:47:54 pm by razorhead94

When you get out of your cave then you cant post again
"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

Held Hawgstage

At least Heath was able to motivate his club to wins over ranked teams, to the SEC Championship, and two NCAA appearances in a row. Give credit where credit is due. Pelphrey couldn't coach his team to the tournament last year. He has an abysmal 0-10 or 0-11 record against the SEC. Even Western Kentucky had a win over Georgia. Where was Pelphrey's motivation to pull out a stunning achievement in his 5 years at Southern Alabama? It's nice to know in the past 5 years he's beaten an SEC team the same amount I have. Come out of your caves when you come with some statistics to back up the hiring of Pelphrey the unproven motivator and teacher.

FBfan

Quote from: Held Hawgstage on May 01, 2007, 08:25:26 pm
At least Heath was able to motivate his club to wins over ranked teams, to the SEC Championship, and two NCAA appearances in a row. Give credit where credit is due. Pelphrey couldn't coach his team to the tournament last year. He has an abysmal 0-10 or 0-11 record against the SEC. Even Western Kentucky had a win over Georgia. Where was Pelphrey's motivation to pull out a stunning achievement in his 5 years at Southern Alabama? It's nice to know in the past 5 years he's beaten an SEC team the same amount I have. Come out of your caves when you come with some statistics to back up the hiring of Pelphrey the unproven motivator and teacher.

Are you going to honestly tell me that you think Coach Heath was the right coach for Arkansas?  7-9 in a watered down SEC West in year 5.  7-33 road record overall in the SEC.  Good guy and good recruiter? Check.  Great coach who always got the best effort out of his players? Negative.

As for Pelphrey he inherited a turd at USA and won the last 2 Sun Belt regular season titles.  I'm not saying he is the 2nd coming of Pitino/Donovan, but about we give him a chance instead of constantly spewing the one-sided SH agenda.

slopinhogs

decipline comes from fear and fear is a sound motivator. . i learned this in the military. :razorback:
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

Held Hawgstage

Heath was absolutely the right coach for Arkansas. Again, wins over ranked Alabama and Vanderbilt with wins in their own house. SEC freshman and Defensive players of the year. Snagged the JUCO player of the year. Lost in the SEC tournament to the National Champions. Highly ranked recruiting classes. He made it back to the tournament with 3 new starters! 3! Washington and Welsh are going to be studs. He can recruit across the nation. He was a positive influence. So we took a guy that went to the Elite 8. We gave him a program that was hurting and we watched him move it from bad to good. And we let him go? Because the place wasn't exciting like it was in the 90's. The style was boring? WE FREAKIN WON over 20 GAMES! We basically started over this year when we lost the two top scorers from last years team. We still made it back to the tournament. The team needed to grow together like any other team. None of that was reported, just this crap about it wasn't fun. If you didn't have fun grinding out those wins then you are not a bball fan. If you wanted style points then we should have landed no schedule Gilliespie. Again, what in Pelphrey's resume says HE IS the right coach. Because he played and coached in the FREAKIN ARENA? And you buy this stuff?

cubbie

Y'all write way to much I read none of that.
If you were a Hotdog would you eat yourself? I know I would.

Held Hawgstage

Reading is FUNdamental.

razorhead94

May 01, 2007, 09:26:02 pm #14 Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 01:19:20 am by razorhead94

Well you can tell how good a coach is by their road record...here are some stats you can crunch on:

Stan Heath's road conference record at Ark:  7-36
John Pelphrey's road conference record at USA: 23-21

I understand the Heath inherited a bad team and program when he came here, but Pelphrey had to do the same thing at South Alabama.  As far as Pelphrey's record vs. the SEC, give him our players and then go check his record.  I'm sure an SEC team is a lot more talented than a Sun Belt team.  By the way on your example of Western Kentucky beating Georgia...if you check USA's schedule they beat that same Western Kentucky team that beat Georgia.  As far as beating ranked teams...i can count them on 1 hand (please dont count both Alabama games this year because we all know alabama was very very overrated).  As far as making it to the SEC Championship game, i'm glad the team started to play to its potential when they hear that their coach is on the hot seat.  Only after they found this out did they start to play hard.  As far as making to back to back NCAA tourneys...that's great and all but what is our record in the NCAA tournament with Heath.  We have no wins to show for it.  Heath got outcoach against Bucknell and everybody knows it. 

"I didn't want to press them because I didn't think we had the legs" - Stan Heath following a loss to Bucknell in the first round of the 2006 NCAA tournament.
(So we dont play a game in a week and stan is worried about our legs?  Forget about Jefferson, McCurdy and Vincent just chillin on the bench...oh and I heard Bucknell loves to play up tempo).

As far as stats on Pelphrey being a proven motivator and teacher...well one i do have is under his first year as coach he took a team that was 8-20 and improved them to 14-14.
As far as Pelphrey in the NCAA tournament..they do not have any wins but they did play a pretty good team in the first round (no not Bucknell)...you may have heard of them before.... FLORIDA!

Just face it Stan could not get it done.  His players were too inconsistant.  They would play hard for a game and then wouldn't show up for another.  Heath's road record is an example of how he can not get his teams ready to play. 

Quotes from other SEC coaches:

"Outside of Florida, Arkansas has the most talent in the SEC," - Kevin Stallings
-arkansas dem gaz.

How come a team with this much talent have a losing record in the SEC...I'll tell you why...because we had a coach who was not committed 100% of the time...lacked intensity at times, and was left shaking his head when one of players had a mistake.  Have you ever seen Stan get in somebodys face?  Have you ever seen Stan try and get his players pumped up? 

After this year you will see that John Pelphrey will fix these problems and you will see a team that is ready to play no matter where they play.

So just go back to Kent State or wherever you came from or move to South Florida because Razorback basketball is a little more than having a losing SEC record and content on just making the NCAA tournament.

Thank you

Held Hawgstage

I appreciate your time and effort in putting together that take. As flawed as it is, worth reading. Now things are reversed. Of course, it's not Pelphrey's fault he took the job at Southern Alabama. I'm sure the AD held a gun to his head. So we won't judge him on not being able to put together any talent. Pelphrey does have a talent team now. Nothing close to what Heath had when he came by the way. Pelphrey now has the opportunity to play in the SEC.Anything less than a SEC Championship and 2nd round loss in the NCAA is a step backward. What will be your excuse then. Let me guess. He didn't have his players to play his style? But we are one of the most talented teams in the SEC. He will have no problem motivating these guys to wins because he's "FIERY". Right? Let's see who Pelphrey brings in because he has the Arkansas letterhead. Now, when South Florida moves from the bottom of the Big East to playing in the tournament. What will you say then when we are still trying to get past the second round? Ahhhh! We just have to wait and see. Don't we. I would rather put my faith in a guy who has a record like Heath than a guy who is unproven like Pelphrey. And this makes me less of a fan because?

Brewerfan10

May 01, 2007, 09:42:52 pm #16 Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 11:40:11 pm by Brewerfan10
Good Post razorhead

razorhead94

May 01, 2007, 10:12:19 pm #17 Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 10:15:19 pm by razorhead94
Quote from: Held Hawgstage on May 01, 2007, 09:40:36 pm
I appreciate your time and effort in putting together that take. As flawed as it is, worth reading. Now things are reversed. Of course, it's not Pelphrey's fault he took the job at Southern Alabama. I'm sure the AD held a gun to his head. So we won't judge him on not being able to put together any talent. Pelphrey does have a talent team now. Nothing close to what Heath had when he came by the way. Pelphrey now has the opportunity to play in the SEC.Anything less than a SEC Championship and 2nd round loss in the NCAA is a step backward. What will be your excuse then. Let me guess. He didn't have his players to play his style? But we are one of the most talented teams in the SEC. He will have no problem motivating these guys to wins because he's "FIERY". Right? Let's see who Pelphrey brings in because he has the Arkansas letterhead. Now, when South Florida moves from the bottom of the Big East to playing in the tournament. What will you say then when we are still trying to get past the second round? Ahhhh! We just have to wait and see. Don't we. I would rather put my faith in a guy who has a record like Heath than a guy who is unproven like Pelphrey. And this makes me less of a fan because?

Haha, trust in a coach that went 7-36 on the road!  Look what you are saying before you talk.  I understand that Stan built the program back and he did a good job of that, but he will not be the one that pushes us over the edge.  South Florida will make the NCAA Tournament?...LMAO...give me some of that kool-aid you are drinking...im sure next you will be saying that South Florida will make the final four in 5 years right?  And I guess going from a 10-6 conference record to a 7-9 conference record is a step foward right?  Oh wait a minute we lost some players.  Give me a break.

FBfan

Try to answer this one honestly.  Do you really want to give SH another year when he never ONCE had the team ranked in the Top 25? Did you see the attendance at the Mississippi State game? The place was a morgue.  He had more than enough time to restore the program to prominence.  He had his opportunity and it was time for him to move on. 

razorbackfan4life

HeldHawgstage.......do you want to be mediocre?

Would Stan Heath ever win a NC at Arkansas.....hmmm lemme think........NO!!!

That's what we want, so we have to make changes.  No matter how weird the changes have been, it was necessary.

justonefan

Held Hawgstage - I appreciate your support for SH, I really do.  I myself really thought he should have been given another year.  But he's gone.  I wish him well.  True, Pelfrey's unproven in many ways, but there are a lot of things to like about him.  Are you scared to have a little optimism?  With Stan at least you knew what you had.  Now you to venture into the unknown.  I don't care to predict what our season will be like next year, there are too many factors involved.  But I think we should give this young whipper-snapper a chance.  He's got a fire in his belly and that gives me hope and gets me excited.  Yes, I loved basketball in the 90's and I would like to see our program do that again.  And, no, I don't believe that it would ever have gotten back to that with Heath, although I liked him when few of my friends did. :-\

Held Hawgstage

Quote from: FBfan on May 01, 2007, 10:17:42 pm
Did you see the attendance at the Mississippi State game? The place was a morgue.  He had more than enough time to restore the program to prominence.  He had his opportunity and it was time for him to move on. 

I was in the building and yes it was empty because of the vast amount of fair weather fans in this state. Those who were there got to see a team pull together. It was great! This team turned the corner which is expected when you have 3 new starters. But if you want to replace Heath with a guy that lost his last four games at SOUTHERN ALABAMA and got bounced in the first round of the NIT it's your perogative. I have vented my displeasure with the firing and hiring and now it's a wait and see. I'm actually looking forward to the fans and the media jumping back on the bandwagon and giving this guy support they never were willing to show Stan. The way things look at the UofA, losing the last 4 games of the season is the new standard anyway so Pelphrey is going to fit right in.

Ross U (HDHF)

Quote from: Held Hawgstage on May 02, 2007, 12:31:02 pm
Quote from: FBfan on May 01, 2007, 10:17:42 pm
Did you see the attendance at the Mississippi State game? The place was a morgue.  He had more than enough time to restore the program to prominence.  He had his opportunity and it was time for him to move on. 

I was in the building and yes it was empty because of the vast amount of fair weather fans in this state. Those who were there got to see a team pull together. It was great! This team turned the corner which is expected when you have 3 new starters. But if you want to replace Heath with a guy that lost his last four games at SOUTHERN ALABAMA and got bounced in the first round of the NIT it's your prerogative. I have vented my displeasure with the firing and hiring and now it's a wait and see. I'm actually looking forward to the fans and the media jumping back on the bandwagon and giving this guy support they never were willing to show Stan. The way things look at the UofA, losing the last 4 games of the season is the new standard anyway so Pelphrey is going to fit right in.

Hey, if it's good for football.... :D

Don't get mad because some are excited about JP.  I'm excited at what he brings to the table, but you're right.  In the end, it's just a wait and see situation.  One thing is certain though; I'll be at every game in BWA next year just like I was the last 2 years.

hawgtime

still no real answers on the workouts that the hogs are doing....?????

razorhead94

May 02, 2007, 11:45:32 pm #24 Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 11:47:48 pm by razorhead94
Quote from: hawgtime on May 02, 2007, 09:57:11 pm
still no real answers on the workouts that the hogs are doing....?????

Yes they are working out and Pelphrey is getting them into shape and doing a lot of drills (pretty standard stuff) but probably a lot more hustle.

hawgsav1

Stan Heath was never the man for the job.  The real question here is not about playing an exciting brand of basketball.  The real question here is wins.  Stan Heath had 5 years to turn a program around.  Five years is a long time.  Only in his fourth year was he able to make the NCAA tournament, and lost in the first round despite having final four talent for two years in a row.  What happened this year wasn't too bad considering they lost three good players.  However, what got Heath fired was not this year.  His lack of SIGNIFICANT improvement over the five year period.  He essentially had more than double the amount of time than coaches such as Mike Anderson at UAB, Ben Howland at UCLA, Bob Huggins at Kansas State, and others.  Mike Anderson took UAB to the sweet 16 with much less talent in his third year at UAB.  Howland had UCLA in the championship game 3 years after Lavin's disastrous final season.  Huggins nearly took Kansas State to the tourney his first year (and probably should have been there instead of us).  Heath barely took us to the tournament the last two years, and both years we lost (this year quite miserably).  Heath may have been able to get great recruiting classes on www.rivals.com.  Regardless of the talent Heath was able to accumulate, he was unable to motivate them and couldn't get them to win on the road.  Tournament success was what the fans wanted, and Heath couldn't deliver after 5 long years.  Yes Heath made improvements and it slowly got better, but it was the equivalent of taking three years to graduate from the first grade to the second.  This is why Stan was fired.  I agree Pelphrey hasn't proven himself, but he has shown the ability to move a program from one level to the next.  Stan Heath has never shown program building skills (his team was 22-8 the year before the Elite 8 Run).  I for one am glad Heath is gone.  I would have preferred Mike Anderson over anyone else, but I agree Pelphrey is a good guy and I like him.

boarhog12

There would be 10 to 12,000 at every home game no matter if the BB team went 5 and 25. The other 8 to 10,000 seats are filled by people that want to be entertained. Heath did not have a style to fill the the "show me" seats. Coach Pel will fill BWA and tickets will be hard to come by.
Anyone can roll a ball out and let the players play. A good coach has his team at a level that the players didn't know they could reach. Everyone has a comfort level. A good coach raises the comfort level of his team to a higher plane and forces the competition to raise their's, and if they aren't prepared, to a breaking point. This starts in offseason workouts when no one sees

rocksalt

Quote from: boarhog12 on May 03, 2007, 12:07:24 pm
There would be 10 to 12,000 at every home game no matter if the BB team went 5 and 25. The other 8 to 10,000 seats are filled by people that want to be entertained. Heath did not have a style to fill the the "show me" seats. Coach Pel will fill BWA and tickets will be hard to come by.
Anyone can roll a ball out and let the players play. A good coach has his team at a level that the players didn't know they could reach. Everyone has a comfort level. A good coach raises the comfort level of his team to a higher plane and forces the competition to raise their's, and if they aren't prepared, to a breaking point. This starts in offseason workouts when no one sees

Good point.  Players who are coached to a higher playing level appreciate what the coach has done for them. It builds momentum in the right direction and becomes contagious. Pretty soon everyone on the team knows that excellence is expected. They start expecting it themselves. The momentum keeps growing and the fans fill the seats. That's when the games are the most fun.
It's a Mother-In-Law defense - Constant Pressure and Harrassment.   J. Pelphrey

We are on the "Highway to Hellphrey"...  "40 minutes of Hellphrey" !      Hogfans

chiefsfan

How many ranked teams did Heath beat here in 5 years?     Just sayin

How many road wins did Heath have in 5 years here?   Just sayin

You have every right to say that we shouldnt have fired Heath.   But Dont take this out on John Pelphrey.  Ive had the pleasure to watch him coach for 5 years previous to this, and ive had the pleasure to watch Stan Heath coach for 5 years.   Pelphrey is the better coach...   He brought a BAAAD South Alabama team to the NCAA tournament in 4 years.   and he had to do it in a 1 bid conference, where the only way you can make the NCAA's is by being the hottest team over a 3 game span.  He brought passion and energy to a fan base that had absolutely none prior to his arrival.   He had done so well, that he would be coaching at Kentucky right now if Arkansas had managed to hire BCG...

The guy is a class individual, but he also knows how to coach.   Heath was a great guy...but gosh he couldnt coach his way out of a paper bag full of holes
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

Held Hawgstage

Oh how I forgot how the place was rocking with Gomez and Lane banging down low and Eddins bombing away from behind the three point line. Yeah....those were the good times. Let's bring that back. Let's go back to small ball which has proven to win National Titles ever since 1995. Let's not forget our centers that were 6-7 and power forwards 6-5 with shoes on....but oh boy could they press. Let's forget the fact that the game has changed and you need more players like ummmmmm Washington mixed in with Weems and Beverly to win. We should cut those guys and go back to the old ways with Thomas as our center and Rakestraw bombing threes. That's what will get the crowd back. We need an SEC guy that knows HWY 40 like the back of his hand and doesn't know the first thing about recruiting in Chicago. We need a head coach that is bowing down to every AAU coach in the state and surrounding areas hoping they toss us their players.

HawgAdvocate

Who said anything about small ball?
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

razorhead94

Quote from: Held Hawgstage on May 03, 2007, 04:18:25 pm
Oh how I forgot how the place was rocking with Gomez and Lane banging down low and Eddins bombing away from behind the three point line. Yeah....those were the good times. Let's bring that back. Let's go back to small ball which has proven to win National Titles ever since 1995. Let's not forget our centers that were 6-7 and power forwards 6-5 with shoes on....but oh boy could they press. Let's forget the fact that the game has changed and you need more players like ummmmmm Washington mixed in with Weems and Beverly to win. We should cut those guys and go back to the old ways with Thomas as our center and Rakestraw bombing threes. That's what will get the crowd back. We need an SEC guy that knows HWY 40 like the back of his hand and doesn't know the first thing about recruiting in Chicago. We need a head coach that is bowing down to every AAU coach in the state and surrounding areas hoping they toss us their players.

If we can get 6-7 centers like Corliss Williamson I will take that every time.  As far as weems and washington..they will THRIVE in this system.  Obviously they have proved that they cannot play slow down tempo well enough.

hawgsav1

Uh...the game has changed so much that Mike Anderson is still thriving with pressure defense and up-tempo fast break offense at UAB and turned around a Mizzou team that won 11 games the year before and lost 90% of their scoring.  Heath did less with more, and Anderson did more than Heath ever did with much less than Heath's talent.  Yes, bring back an underachiever when there are plenty of coaches out there who could be better.

boarhog12

If I may ask a question or three? What the helck do you want? You didn't like Nolan either? What did Heath do to impress you so? I hope to never see a hog BB player pull from a game and go to the bench and yell at the coach. I understand Coach Pel has already had a profain pep talk with the team to make sure there is no question who is in charge.