Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Any info on Pelphrey's recruiting thus far???

Started by fu-man-soo, April 21, 2007, 09:17:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

fu-man-soo

i have seen stuff about people heath was recruiting, but any scoop on what pelphrey is up to?

cubbie

Pelphrey does not need players, he's a Razorback.
If you were a Hotdog would you eat yourself? I know I would.

HUNGLOWHOG

Tomhog™

All I know at this time is that he missed out on a PG in Mississippi (not Bush).  He is supposed to be in Pittsburg and Houston this weekend at some AAU tourneys.  Tom Ostrum travelled with him...

HawgG

Coaches John Pelphrey(UA), Rick Pitino(UL), Skip Prosser(WF), Billy Gillisipie(UK) and Billy Donovan(UF) are all watching Michael Sanchez dominate at that AAU event the Arkansas Hawks are playing in.

I don't know what it is about AAU ball that brings the best out of these Springdale players.

Last season Nate Rakestraw had a great AAU season and he went from having to walk-on at ARK to getting an offer from Heath.

Sanchez is now dominating this spring. He was great at the RDOTH and he is continuing his super play this weekend as he is carrying the Hawks teams that also includes Clarence Trent, Andre Clark, and Fred Gulley.

BTW Coach Pelphrey still hasn't offered Michael a scholarship or anyone in the class of 2008.

Hogtropolis™

Any news on how the Houston and Pittsburg AAU trips went this weekend for Coach Pelphrey?

Held Hawgstage

I'm keeping track to explain how Arkansas dropped the ball and the bb program will be behind USF in 3 years. Both have 3 scholarships this year. Both had the same amount of time to recruit yet....

Miramar Star Decides To Play For USF
Miramar forward Orane Chin, who earned first-team Class 6A all-state honors as a senior, said he will sign with the University of South Florida today.

The 6-foot-7 1/2 Chin is the first recruit new USF coach Stan Heath has landed since being hired April 3.

"I like Coach Heath a lot," Chin said. "Plus it's in the best conference in America."

As a senior, Chin averaged 25 points and 14 rebounds. He was being heavily recruited by Kansas, Arizona, Virginia, St. Joseph's, and UCF.

"I like the whole situation there. Possibly starting as a freshman helped my decision, but it was not a big selling point." Chin said.

Miramar coach Ken Kelly said he was shocked how quickly Heath was able to land the senior star.

"He's very athletic, he gets to the rim whenever he wants," Kelly said. "He rebounds on both ends of the floor. He can handle it and hit from outside. He can play right away in the Big East."

The Bulls have two scholarships remaining.

Heath – 1
Pelphrey - 0

Hog_One_Stop

Quote from: Held Hawgstage on April 23, 2007, 03:27:37 pm
I'm keeping track to explain how Arkansas dropped the ball and the bb program will be behind USF in 3 years. Both have 3 scholarships this year. Both had the same amount of time to recruit yet....

Miramar forward Orane Chin, who earned first-team Class 6A all-state honors as a senior, said he will sign with the University of South Florida today.

The 6-foot-7 1/2 Chin is the first recruit new USF coach Stan Heath has landed since being hired April 3.

"I like Coach Heath a lot," Chin said. "Plus it's in the best conference in America."

As a senior, Chin averaged 25 points and 14 rebounds. He was being heavily recruited by Kansas, Arizona, Virginia, St. Joseph's, and UCF.

"I like the whole situation there. Possibly starting as a freshman helped my decision, but it was not a big selling point." Chin said.

Miramar coach Ken Kelly said he was shocked how quickly Heath was able to land the senior star.

"He's very athletic, he gets to the rim whenever he wants," Kelly said. "He rebounds on both ends of the floor. He can handle it and hit from outside. He can play right away in the Big East."

Heath – 1
Pelphrey - 0

[/quote

Keep track because Pelphrey will win this hands down,

jhudson84

Heath – 1
Pelphrey - 0

...................................Are we gonna keep track of total committed players because I believe that is what you are doing.  If you want to track who will have the better classes all you have to do is look at the name on the jersey.................Arkansas..................USF............does that fix your little counting issue?

fu-man-soo

I’m keeping track to explain how Arkansas dropped the ball and the bb program will be behind USF in 3 years. Both have 3 scholarships this year. Both had the same amount of time to recruit yet….

Heath – 1
Pelphrey - 0

add this to my list of worst posts ever

jhudson84

USF will not make the tourn. within Five Years Guaranteed

bd93

If Stan was as good of a recruiter as everyone said he was, then we would of had a 10 recruiting class every single year he was hear.

biggesthogfanever501

he has one or two 4 star recruits that are thinking about coming

bd93

Held Hawgstage

This was the problem with the fan base. They had no idea where Stan ranked in recruiting. Based on Rivals, his recruiting was ranked higher than Texas A&M the previous two years. Yet everyone jumped on the Gillespie bandwagon just like they jump on Pelphrey. There is nothing, absolutely nothing, that shows A) Pelphrey is a proven recruiter B) Pelphrey is an outstanding coach. The only thing going for Pelphrey was he played for Kentucky and he was an assistant to Donovan, before they ever won a championship. WoW! We were just happy to get a coach and we have now anointed the guy the next John Wooden. Let's slow down a bit, but he needs to speed up his recruiting. That's what I loved about Stan, he was always out there recruiting. That's how you end up with the SEC freshman of the year, defensive player of the year and juco player of the year. That's a huge part of college basketball. He didn't need to have a whole staff in place before he hit the road.

Let's face it, the fan base is energized because we finally got a coach to say yes. Now let's see what he's done.

fu-man-soo

Quote from: Held Hawgstage on April 23, 2007, 04:59:28 pm
This was the problem with the fan base. They had no idea where Stan ranked in recruiting. Based on Rivals, his recruiting was ranked higher than Texas A&M the previous two years. Yet everyone jumped on the Gillespie bandwagon just like they jump on Pelphrey. There is nothing, absolutely nothing, that shows A) Pelphrey is a proven recruiter B) Pelphrey is an outstanding coach. The only thing going for Pelphrey was he played for Kentucky and he was an assistant to Donovan, before they ever won a championship. WoW! We were just happy to get a coach and we have now anointed the guy the next John Wooden. Let's slow down a bit, but he needs to speed up his recruiting. That's what I loved about Stan, he was always out there recruiting. That's how you end up with the SEC freshman of the year, defensive player of the year and juco player of the year. That's a huge part of college basketball. He didn't need to have a whole staff in place before he hit the road.

Let's face it, the fan base is energized because we finally got a coach to say yes. Now let's see what he's done.

please get more informed before you post. thanks

Held Hawgstage

Now why would I do your homework for you. It's listed, do some research.

fu-man-soo

Quote from: Held Hawgstage on April 23, 2007, 05:03:13 pm
Now why would I do your homework for you. It's listed, do some research.
'

what are you talking about?  what is listed?  speed up recruiting?  pelphrey has already hit the road?  you are making 0 sense

501Ben

Getting talent wasn't the problem, it was coaching it. What is talent worth if your players won't hustle for you or try.

Held Hawgstage

Coaching gets you to the SEC championship. Coaching gets you to average 20 wins a season for the past 3 season. Coaching gets you to two ncaa appearances in 2 years. If the kids aren't playing playing for you, your record is worse than that. If these kids weren't playing for him, he would have had the same record as when he didn't have the talent. His team won a preseason tournament, went toe to toe with Texas and Florida in their house, beat Alabama and Vanderbilt twice, if anyone quit on anyone, it was the fans quiting on a coach that turned the program around and didn't have the decency to allow him the opportunity to coach these guys out. Then bring up 7 scholarships which you are giving to an unproven recruiter. The game has changed in the past 20 years let alone the past 10, it's about recruiting, and I guess we have to wait and see with this Pelphrey fellow.

bd93

Quote from: Held Hawgstage on April 23, 2007, 05:53:01 pm
Coaching gets you to the SEC championship. Coaching gets you to average 20 wins a season for the past 3 season. Coaching gets you to two NCAA appearances in 2 years. If the kids aren't playing playing for you, your record is worse than that. If these kids weren't playing for him, he would have had the same record as when he didn't have the talent. His team won a preseason tournament, went toe to toe with Texas and Florida in their house, beat Alabama and Vanderbilt twice, if anyone quit on anyone, it was the fans quiting on a coach that turned the program around and didn't have the decency to allow him the opportunity to coach these guys out. Then bring up 7 scholarships which you are giving to an unproven recruiter. The game has changed in the past 20 years let alone the past 10, it's about recruiting, and I guess we have to wait and see with this Pelphrey fellow.

You forgot to mention where we lost to: Georgia( at home), Ole Miss, Miss St., Tenn.(at home), and Auburn 

That is just SEC.

But we also got absolutely blown out by Texas Tech and Missouri.

fu-man-soo

Quote from: Held Hawgstage on April 23, 2007, 05:53:01 pm
Coaching gets you to the SEC championship. Coaching gets you to average 20 wins a season for the past 3 season. Coaching gets you to two ncaa appearances in 2 years. If the kids aren't playing playing for you, your record is worse than that. If these kids weren't playing for him, he would have had the same record as when he didn't have the talent. His team won a preseason tournament, went toe to toe with Texas and Florida in their house, beat Alabama and Vanderbilt twice, if anyone quit on anyone, it was the fans quiting on a coach that turned the program around and didn't have the decency to allow him the opportunity to coach these guys out. Then bring up 7 scholarships which you are giving to an unproven recruiter. The game has changed in the past 20 years let alone the past 10, it's about recruiting, and I guess we have to wait and see with this Pelphrey fellow.

you also forgot to see heath's road record

Held Hawgstage

That's a part of basketball. Every team gets blown out here and there. Florida didn't have a perfect season. None of them did. The program was moving in the right direction from where it was when he took over. That counts for something. The complaint that the arena wasn't full, the game wasn't fun, etc, were from people still living in the past. We should have been giving him the support instead of quitting because we wanted to stay in the 90's.

football-writer

I?m keeping track to explain how Arkansas dropped the ball and the bb program will be behind USF in 3 years. Both have 3 scholarships this year. Both had the same amount of time to recruit yet?.

Heath ? 1
Pelphrey - 0

I like seeing how you are going to give Pelphrey a year on the Hogs bench before you start criticizing him...That's so very mature of you. (said sarcastically)
Bobby Petrino...putting fear into opposing SEC coaches one recruit at a time

Table Rocker

stan was a decent recruiter but a TERRIBLE coach so it didnt matter who he brought on campus

justonefan

I liked Stan Heath.  I stuck up for him when people around me were saying his style was boring.  But we have a new coach now.  And I have to admit I'm excited about his potential.  It took Stan a year or two to start getting some nationally recognized recruits in here.  I honestly don't think it will take JP that long. 

Held Hawgstage

I don't have a problem with Pelphrey, just don't think he will make it. I'm not giving him a year, I'm giving him 3. He could win the national title next year and I would still wait to see what he does with HIS players. Reminds me of Tampa Bay Bucs. Win with dungys players and now look at them.

Heath wasn't perfect, but again, the program was moving in the right direction. He won 20 games plus a NCAA appearance with 3 NEW STARTERS and one being a FRESHMAN. He lost two of his top scorers, one a senior, the other to the pros.

Thats like losing Mcfadden, Jones, Monk and couple of offensive lineman. Do you think you are in the Capital One bowl after that happens?

Ask any coach, you replace 2 of your leading scorers and start with 3 new guys, you have done some coaching.

But I forgot, he didn't throw a chair or slap a player, so he doesn't know how to coach.

fu-man-soo

Quote from: Held Hawgstage on April 23, 2007, 06:51:25 pm
I don't have a problem with Pelphrey, just don't think he will make it. I'm not giving him a year, I'm giving him 3. He could win the national title next year and I would still wait to see what he does with HIS players. Reminds me of Tampa Bay Bucs. Win with dungys players and now look at them.

Heath wasn't perfect, but again, the program was moving in the right direction. He won 20 games plus a NCAA appearance with 3 NEW STARTERS and one being a FRESHMAN. He lost two of his top scorers, one a senior, the other to the pros.

Thats like losing Mcfadden, Jones, Monk and couple of offensive lineman. Do you think you are in the Capital One bowl after that happens?

Ask any coach, you replace 2 of your leading scorers and start with 3 new guys, you have done some coaching.

But I forgot, he didn't throw a chair or slap a player, so he doesn't know how to coach.

a. you cant compare free agency with recruiting
b.  who threw a chair or slapped a player that has anything to do with hogs?

Held Hawgstage

A)What happens when you lose players? You have to bring in new ones. You have to recruit new players. Tampa Bay has failed to do that since Dungy left.
My belief is Pelphrey may get one or two, but nothing close to Heath's level. Well have to wait and see.

B)All I've heard is that Heath wasn't emotional enough. Wasn't passionate enough. What was he suppose to do. Act like Bob Knight and become a clown. Coaches can win without stormin up and down the court putting attention on themselves instead of on the players. Wooden is the greatest basketball coach and became so without acting like an embarrassment.

Again, we were heading in the right direction and now we must put our faith in a guy whose track record is nothing close to Heath, Noland, or Sutton when they came here. Hell, not even close to Altman. 

fu-man-soo

Quote from: Held Hawgstage on April 23, 2007, 07:44:36 pm
A)What happens when you lose players? You have to bring in new ones. You have to recruit new players. Tampa Bay has failed to do that since Dungy left.
My belief is Pelphrey may get one or two, but nothing close to Heath's level. Well have to wait and see.

B)All I've heard is that Heath wasn't emotional enough. Wasn't passionate enough. What was he suppose to do. Act like Bob Knight and become a clown. Coaches can win without stormin up and down the court putting attention on themselves instead of on the players. Wooden is the greatest basketball coach and became so without acting like an embarrassment.

Again, we were heading in the right direction and now we must put our faith in a guy whose track record is nothing close to Heath, Noland, or Sutton when they came here. Hell, not even close to Altman. 

Southeastern Conference road record of 7-33, heath is gone, i liked him too, but it is time to get over it

bd93

Quote from: Held Hawgstage on April 23, 2007, 07:44:36 pm

B)All I've heard is that Heath wasn't emotional enough. Wasn't passionate enough. What was he suppose to do. Act like Bob Knight and become a clown. Coaches can win without storming up and down the court putting attention on themselves instead of on the players. Wooden is the greatest basketball coach and became so without acting like an embarrassment.

Whats up with your weird man crush on Heath?(assuming you a guy)

Held Hawgstage

Southeastern Conference road record of 7-33, heath is gone, i liked him too, but it is time to get over it
[/quote]

I've spent the past 7 years getting over it. We were finally making some headway and now we have to put our faith in an unproven coach. So when he can't build on what has been established do what? Try to get over it for another 7 years. I hope the guys buy into what Pelphrey is selling because on of the hardest things is coaching a bunch of seniors who haven't bought into your system. It gets ugly before it gets worse. That's why it was better to give Heath another year. High expectations, a couple of early losses, players get discouraged, don't agree with his coaching, losses mount, it will be very ugly.

bd93

Quote from: Held Hawgstage on April 23, 2007, 08:20:16 pm

I've spent the past 7 years getting over it. We were finally making some headway and now we have to put our faith in an unproven coach. So when he can't build on what has been established do what? Try to get over it for another 7 years. I hope the guys buy into what Pelphrey is selling because on of the hardest things is coaching a bunch of seniors who haven't bought into your system. It gets ugly before it gets worse. That's why it was better to give Heath another year. High expectations, a couple of early losses, players get discouraged, don't agree with his coaching, losses mount, it will be very ugly.

Doubt it.

Read on rivals or scout(one of the two) the other day about how the players where really starting to buy into him and his system.

Held Hawgstage

Quote from: bd93 on April 23, 2007, 08:12:47 pm
Whats up with your weird man crush on Heath?(assuming you a guy)

Stay Classy VD93

bd93

Held Hawgstage

Quote from: bd93 on April 23, 2007, 08:25:43 pm
Doubt it.

Read on rivals or scout(one of the two) the other day about how the players where really starting to buy into him and his system.

I hope so. That all changes when there's some adversity. Don't think when shots aren't dropping and they heard his same ol pep talk that they won't be thinking, "Hey guy, you were at Southern Alabama last year and we've been to the NCAA's twice". They'll tune him out faster than Altman changing his mind.

Razorhog2006q

April 23, 2007, 08:58:25 pm #37 Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 09:02:14 pm by Razorhog2006q

Try reading some of the scout articles on Pelphrey. There were quotes from Beverley, Weems, and Welsh stating that they were pumped up and couldn't wait to begin practice with Pelphrey. Charles Thomas even went as far as saying that getting Pelphrey was what the program needed. The players are buying into it. Stan Heath's gone and he's never coming back. It's time to get over it.

Hogtropolis™

So after all this debate about Stan Heath and John Pelphrey, I still haven't gotten a straight answer on how the trips to Houston and Pittsburg went this past weekend?  Does anyone have any info on this?

bd93

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on April 23, 2007, 10:04:01 pm
So after all this debate about Stan Heath and John Pelphrey, I still haven't gotten a straight answer on how the trips to Houston and Pittsburg went this past weekend?  Does anyone have any info on this?

I know that Deandre Liggins team won.

HawgG

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on April 23, 2007, 10:04:01 pm

From what I have learned is that Coach Pelphrey was in Pittsburg to watch Sanchez play all weekend.

He did not go and watch Willie Warren play and it appears that all the guys that the previous staff worked so hard to recruit is not going to get much attention from Coach Pelphrey.

Now that is how it appears.

BTW before anybody say that Coach P could not be at two tournaments over the weekend is a lie.

Coach Heath use to fly frequently from New Jersey to Las Vegas over the same weekend making sure he showed the love to every recruit he could.

Most coaches do this unless you are Coach K or someone that doesn't have to work as hard recruiting because of his elite status.

Now I'm not saying that this is bad about Coach P because it is obvious that he has his own methods and if they work then there is no need to complain.

AnthroHog

Has Pelphrey offered Michael Sanchez or not?  I read that Kentucky has offered him and on the Rivals site it says that we've offered him.  I just don't know if he had an offer from Heath or has one from Pelphrey.   Anyone have any info on that?

HawgG

Quote from: AnthroHog on April 23, 2007, 11:03:29 pm
Has Pelphrey offered Michael Sanchez or not?  I read that Kentucky has offered him and on the Rivals site it says that we've offered him.  I just don't know if he had an offer from Heath or has one from Pelphrey.   Anyone have any info on that?
He did have an offer from Heath, but unless Pelphrey offered him yesterday or today then he does not have an offer from the current staff.

AnthroHog

Quote from: HawgG on April 23, 2007, 11:30:59 pm
Has Pelphrey offered Michael Sanchez or not?  I read that Kentucky has offered him and on the Rivals site it says that we've offered him.  I just don't know if he had an offer from Heath or has one from Pelphrey.   Anyone have any info on that?
He did have an offer from Heath, but unless Pelphrey offered him yesterday or today then he does not have an offer from the current staff.

I was going from this - http://arkansas.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=30742&sport=2
It looks fairly updated, since it has Billy Gillispie as a recruiter.  Maybe Pelphrey wanted to watch before he offered?  Not making excuses, just searching for reasons.

Hogstocking

April 24, 2007, 04:25:01 am #44 Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 04:38:17 am by Hogstocking
Has Pelphrey offered Michael Sanchez or not?  I read that Kentucky has offered him and on the Rivals site it says that we've offered him.  I just don't know if he had an offer from Heath or has one from Pelphrey.   Anyone have any info on that?

Sanchez HAS AN OFFER from John Pelphrey

"Last week, he had visits from Pelphrey – who he will visit with again with this week - and Prosser and will have Kentucky visiting this week with all three having put offers on the table.

“I have not yet taken an official visit to Arkansas so I want to do that and visit Wake Forest and Kentucky, too, before I make a final decision.”

“I thought Coach Pelphrey was a real cool dude,” Sanchez said. “He is a young guy that really seems like a coach that players would love to play for. I know he is a real solid coach and I am excited that he is at Arkansas now.”

http://arkansas.scout.com/2/638161.html

HawgG

Quote from: Hogstocking on April 24, 2007, 04:25:01 am

Sanchez HAS AN OFFER from John Pelphrey

"Last week, he had visits from Pelphrey – who he will visit with again with this week - and Prosser and will have Kentucky visiting this week with all three having put offers on the table.

"I have not yet taken an official visit to Arkansas so I want to do that and visit Wake Forest and Kentucky, too, before I make a final decision."

"I thought Coach Pelphrey was a real cool dude," Sanchez said. "He is a young guy that really seems like a coach that players would love to play for. I know he is a real solid coach and I am excited that he is at Arkansas now."

http://arkansas.scout.com/2/638161.html

Very Good.

It does seem like he wants to go to Prep School and it might be the best move instead of rushing into a decision.

Yesssirrr!!!! 1000th post.

claytongray

Well aren't you just a ray of sunshine.

claytongray

Quote from: AnthroHog on April 23, 2007, 11:43:31 pm
Maybe Pelphrey wanted to watch before he offered?

Yes. It is Pelphrey's policy to not offer a player without seeing them play.

jhudson84

Well sometimes policy has to be bent and with the scenario in which JP came in I would say this is a great time to do this.

claytongray

Quote from: jhudson84 on April 24, 2007, 09:10:03 am
Well sometimes policy has to be bent and with the scenario in which JP came in I would say this is a great time to do this.

It's probably not in a coach's best interest to blindly follow the recruiting leads of a guy that just got fired.