Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rob Evans hired by Arkansas

Started by Mark Lericos, April 19, 2007, 03:02:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Cosby

Nope... Ike Diogu definatley went to ASU.

quest4excellence

Great hire.  He knows recruiting arkansas better then anyone.

Word to ya motha! -Vanilla Ice

Razor6

JP is taking over Jefferson Pilot... er... Lincoln Financial.

We're gonna steal the show!
I was there when we melted the internet!  Were you?

Oklahawg

A brilliant start to the Pelphrey era just gets brighter. Kudos.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

pignatious

This is a tremendous hire for Arkansas. Head coaching experience, great recruiter with lots of ties to the South and the Southwest. He gave Arkansas fits when he was at Ole Miss. I am happier every day that Altman left and Pelphrey came our way. Go Hogs!
Freedom is never free.

Topcat

Quote from: prairiehogcompanion on April 19, 2007, 07:16:52 pm
Quote from: hogfan0307 on April 19, 2007, 03:17:13 pm
Quote from: HighonSwine on April 19, 2007, 03:14:01 pm
Outstanding hire.  He is a good recruiter.  He has pulled a few out of the hat over the years just usually could never pull 5 out of the hat.  But if he can pull a couple of big time prospects a year to go along with his coaching experience he will be worth his weight in salary.
I'm guessing he got Ike Diagu to go to Ariz. St....also good head coaching experience + he won at Ole miss, that isnt easy to do

Ike went to Arizona.

Ike went to ASU
I met Evans when he was recruiting Keith Carter at Perryville. He's a class individual and recognizes talent. This a great hire. It's good to see Pelphrey is not intimidated by hiring a former coach who will bring a lot to the table. Congrats JP!!

HogMavFan

Quote from: Mark Lericos on April 19, 2007, 03:02:31 pm

Joins Pelphrey's staff. Former head coach at Arizona State and Ole Miss.

FYI.
This is an amazingly good hire. His Ole Miss teams always beat and beat up on Nolan's teams with much less talent than we had. Amazing defense and very tough. We have never had a mean, badass team before. We were usual finesse and softer than our opponents except for a couple individual exceptions. Also his experience in the South and SEC will help as well as his race. Great hire...

stronguard

Very nice hire.  I'm impressed with this one Pelph.
If you don't know, now you know.

Chief Idiot of the Tavern

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.

HogMavFan

Quote from: Mark Lericos on April 19, 2007, 03:02:31 pm

Joins Pelphrey's staff. Former head coach at Arizona State and Ole Miss.

FYI.
When I saw Rob on the news, I thought it was Nolan for a second.  We do have one slot still open???

boarhog12

In the words of Johnny Cash's song 'Boy Name Sue' the BB team will get tough or die, there won't be any back talk on the bench either. Best I've felt about the BB team in a long time. Welcome Coach Evans 

hogninja

One statement by Evans stood out to me.  He was happy to "mentor" JP.  I love it.  When an older coach is willing to teach a young up an comer.  Also, willing to be an assistant on his staff, realizing JP is the head guy, shows the maturity of JP AND RE to reach multiple goals.  Evans can totally solidify his legacy by helping to develop a killer Coach and be willing to be an assistant (ego) to do it.  I applaud him.  I am so looking forward to who is left on this team next year, cuz they will EARN it. ;D :razorback:

justonefan

Quote from: razorback903 on April 19, 2007, 04:48:31 pm
A solid coach with tons of experience.  Can we get a ticker counting down how long till tip off of the John Pelphrey Era!!!  I can't wait till the first game!!

Go Hogs Go!!!

Great idea!  Anyone know when the season schedule will be posted?

WxHog

This is great news!   Rob is a class act and I look forward to having him on our staff. 

Razorod

Good hire from what I can tell. It will be interesting to see how they mesh styles of play. Pel's full-court, frenetic style with Evans' more traditional half-court. What I like is that this whole staff seems to be a lot more intense. The energy level in BWA should be sky high if they can get the wins to come their way.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

DeltaBoy

Great Hire JP showing knowledge & Wisdom beyond his years!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

wayneslane

Yes indeed great hire. He is a great defensive coach. Good first step.

CTHOG

I liked Rob's comments about JP, mentoring the next Donovan.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 06, 2007, 10:13:22 pmI hereby dub you "ThesaurusHog"!

Quondo Omni Flunkus Mortati

If it moves, its Biology.
If it stinks, its Chemistry.
If it doesn't work, its Physics.

sooieet

I always got tired of him taking Arkansas raised players, and beating the Hogs with them.  Maybe he will help build a fence around the state to keep the best ballers at the U of A. 

WPS

:razorback:

doctord

Great hire.  I was surprised several years ago when Ole Miss didn't try harder to keep Evans there.  He did an outstanding job there & I am glad he is on the Razorback staff now.

I wanted Anthony Grant at the beginning(still think he will be a top head coach someday) but Pelphrey has done great so far.  Go Hogs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Memphis Hog

I just hope that when we do get a new football coach they use the same search firm!

bobetty

BrooklynRoss

Holy crap. This guy is our ASSISTANT coach? Wow, I hope Pelphrey can recruit players as well as he recruits coaches. Evan's Ole Miss teams were tough. Nice work, University of Arkansas Athletic Department. (ahhh, feels good saying that!)
I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

RAZ FAN

Quote from: silvertip on April 19, 2007, 07:03:51 pm
Quote from: spudhog on April 19, 2007, 04:49:42 pm
great, we can in-state recruit now. ha ha

LOL. Just what I was thinking. I'm hoping Evans can bring us some Mississippi recruits---there's a lot of talent in that state.

It would by nice to beat MS with MS kids, instead of them beating us with Arkansas kids.  WPS!!
I hope your wish comes true. I felt he was a very good coach when he was there. He was able to bring in some talent and win in the SEC. He will be a great addition to our program.

go hogues

Now maybe we can recruit little rock again.  Welcome coach evans.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Memphis Hog

LOL. Just what I was thinking. I'm hoping Evans can bring us some Mississippi recruits---there's a lot of talent in that state.

It would by nice to beat MS with MS kids, instead of them beating us with Arkansas kids.  WPS!!
[/quote]I hope your wish comes true. I felt he was a very good coach when he was there. He was able to bring in some talent and win in the SEC. He will be a great addition to our program.
[/quote]

A lot of that talent came from right here in Arkansas!

oldfart

A great hire. His Ole Miss teams always played hard and took us to the woodshed with lesser talent.  If he can instill that spirit on the defensive side here we should have some excellent teams.  Pelphrey is to be commended for this hire, apparently they were not the bosom buddy type of relationship but he recognized the ability of Evans.  Lets hope he can also add to the recruiting efforts as well, he seemed to be able to pluck out talent that others overlooked or certainly got the most out of it. 

I also read where the final pick is someone who is a fireball recruiter.  Sounds like we should have a great basketball staff.  Nutt, take notice of what Pelphrey is doing regarding staff picks

Bubba_Hog

Quote from: prairiehogcompanion on April 19, 2007, 07:16:52 pm
Quote from: hogfan0307 on April 19, 2007, 03:17:13 pm
Quote from: HighonSwine on April 19, 2007, 03:14:01 pm
Outstanding hire.  He is a good recruiter.  He has pulled a few out of the hat over the years just usually could never pull 5 out of the hat.  But if he can pull a couple of big time prospects a year to go along with his coaching experience he will be worth his weight in salary.
I'm guessing he got Ike Diagu to go to Ariz. St....also good head coaching experience + he won at Ole miss, that isnt easy to do

Ike went to Arizona.

Arizona State
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3935
Hey buddy, why don't you go grab daddy a cold one outta the fridge!

PigWig

Coach Pelphrey continues to impress me. He has united the fans, put excitement back into our program, and hired a needed long-tine head coach who knows the SEC West. I'll admit, at first I was skepticle about Pelphrey's hiring but he is quickly becoming one of my favorite coaches on campus.

Congrats Coach P, and good luck Rob. Now hit the recruiting trail boys.

Cerdita

Great hire! He certainly knows how to recruit Arkansas players.  We always had trouble with Ole Miss when he was coaching.  He will give Beverly and the rest of the team a traditional father(grandfather) figure who demands hard work and respect.