Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

UA vs Troy football game

Started by COVELANDING HOG, April 16, 2007, 09:10:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mword

With Nutt constantly screwing things up, it won't surprise me if Troy wins.

HOG FAN 4 LIFE

Quote from: Mark Lericos on April 17, 2007, 12:31:31 am
Quote from: ttownhog on April 17, 2007, 12:09:30 am
if so many of you think troy is so good then why is it bad if the game is close? Shouldn't the game be close if they are so good to almost upset so many teams. Las Vegas is not stupid, if troy is good, it won't be a big spread, so what then if the game is close? Why would it be a big deal to have a close game with a good team? By the way.... I don't think troy is that good, nor do I think the game will be that close.

The fact you don't think Troy is good renders the rest of your argument moot. Go look at their record. Look at the big time teams they have beaten, and the ones they scared the hell out of too. From a Division 1-AA standing in the late 90's... so a solid Division 1-A program. And go ask Auburn and Alabama why they rarely play them. There's a reason. Same as Arkansas and Arkansas St.

Troy was NAIA and then Division 2 and then Division 1.  They converted around 2002 to Division 1.
Go Hogs! Go Rangers! Go Cowboys! Go Mavs! Go Stars!

Mark Lericos

I think the people who believe it will be a blowout won't change their mind. I heard the same thing about Utah St.

would be shocked if this game isn't pretty close all the way through. Shocked.   In terms of high profile it won't be popular. But after 2 years of high profile drubbings by USC, Arkansas could use a low profile, hard fought win to set the tone for the rest of the year.

Mark Lericos

By the way we (Troy) play these non-conference teams this year:

Arkansas
    Florida
    Oklahoma State
    Georgia

um... Troy isn't afraid to play anyone. 

LSPRazorbac

Quote from: cbad on April 16, 2007, 09:28:24 pm
Do not take this team lightly.

They sneak up on one major conference team a year it seems like.
Quote from: RazorRaider on April 16, 2007, 09:36:04 pm
Let's all keep one thing in mind folks.

I don't think anyone would have thought they would have ever seen the day a school like the Citadel would have beaten Arkansas, but it did happen.

The lesson in all that is take no one lightly.

LOL, Why can't we take them lightly?  Last time I checked I'm not scheduled to play against them.  And I have not got an offer to become a coach for UA.  I do not have to watch game film or get in shape for the game. 

As long as the players and coaching staff doesn't take them lightly we should have no problem.  As fans, taking Troy lightly will have no impact on the game whatsoever.

So lets be fans and cheer on the Razorbacks and show them some support.

Razorbacks-100, Troy-3 (pronunced tree)   

DeltaBoy

Citadel= Troy
Crowe = Nutt
I can only hope!!!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

maximus

that is a gay post, your first name must be troy or sumthin
Describe what Marsellus Wallace looks like!

hogfan3414

Quote from: swisshog on April 17, 2007, 08:50:57 am
We're no longer a major conference team. We are a sunbelt conference team. We may lose this one.

Think citadel.

Too many 2 star recruits and ladders.
Threads like this and posts like this makes you realize how much hate and stupidity is on this board.  WE WON THE SEC WEST LAST YEAR PEOPLE!!!

FL_Hog_Fan

I think you guys are all crazy.  Troy will get killed.  We are not going to be as bad next year as some think.  We have a good chance at 9 wins.  I wouldn't put 11 out of the realm of possibility.  Of course, with numbNutts at the helm, I don't put 5 wins out of the realm of possibility either.
What were we arguing about anyway?

hogfan3414

Quote from: Mark Lericos on April 17, 2007, 10:05:03 am

Arkansas
    Florida
    Oklahoma State
    Georgia

Afraid??  How many of those games do you think their coaches and AD are expecting to win of those?  You don't think there is any chance they did for say...the paycheck.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: maximus on April 17, 2007, 10:17:54 am
that is a gay post, your first name must be troy or sumthin

Get off the PC and back to English class!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HogasaurusRex

Make all the jokes that you want about TROY.  I cover them for our media outlet and they WILL give the Hogs all they want.  I do not know if they can "seal the deal", but I hope the Hogs do not take them as lightly as some of you do.

malzhanista

Quote from: moses_007 on April 16, 2007, 09:24:31 pm
Where is Troy?  Somewhere in Europe?

In Georgia. On the shores of the Caspian.

Allister Fiend

Those that are looking at last year will be in for a rude awakening. This Troy team will be much better than they were a year ago. Do any of you really know anything about them? Do you know what offense they will run against Arkansas? This team got a lot better as the season went on last season under new OC Tony Franklin. Go look at what Franklin has done in the past. I say Troy wins this game hands down.

jhog1979

ASU went to Troy and won last year

Albert Einswine

The best chance Troy has to win this game is Houston Nutt, chewing his nails, on the Arkansas sideline.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Allister Fiend

Quote from: jhog1979 on April 17, 2007, 11:41:03 am

Again, looking at individual games from last year is stupid. Troy beat MTSU on the road. What did MTSU do to ASU? Troy had FSU beat in Tallahassee. That is a poor way to make a judgement. ASU has had Troy's number for years. The last time Troy played Utah State, they won by 30 or 40 points.

OnYourToes

April 17, 2007, 11:58:26 am #67 Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 12:00:32 pm by OnYourToes
Quote from: Allister Fiend on April 17, 2007, 11:46:48 am
Quote from: jhog1979 on April 17, 2007, 11:41:03 am

Again, looking at individual games from last year is stupid. Troy beat MTSU on the road. What did MTSU do to ASU? Troy had FSU beat in Tallahassee. That is a poor way to make a judgement. ASU has had Troy's number for years. The last time Troy played Utah State, they won by 30 or 40 points.

My thoughts exactly

See below
Quote from: Fresh Legs on September 22, 2006, 09:56:48 am
Quote from: OnYourToes on September 22, 2006, 09:48:23 am
The wife's b-day was this past Tuesday, I got her a gift certifiacte for a message, she is going to redeem it Saturday, around 2:35ish.  I had it planned all along.  House to myself, game on, free to yell as loud as I can!!!!!

You sir are a genius!

OnYourToes

Quote from: OnYourToes on April 16, 2007, 09:59:52 pm
Lest we forget Utah St. last year.

I know we shut them out but we only scored 20 on them.
And that after a horrific loss to Southern Cal the week before.  You could say that we had somethig to prove in that game and the result; 20-0 ???

In this coming game we have nothing to prove, coming off a 10 win, Capitol One Bowl, Heisman Runner up, SEC Coach of the year  :puke: and (once again) New Offiensive Coordinator, it could get interesting.

But we are at home, this is both teams' first game, we do have the personell to beat them back to Alabama.

I'm just sayin. . . .
Quote from: Fresh Legs on September 22, 2006, 09:56:48 am
Quote from: OnYourToes on September 22, 2006, 09:48:23 am
The wife's b-day was this past Tuesday, I got her a gift certifiacte for a message, she is going to redeem it Saturday, around 2:35ish.  I had it planned all along.  House to myself, game on, free to yell as loud as I can!!!!!

You sir are a genius!

Silver Hog

Quote from: hogfan3414 on April 17, 2007, 10:24:58 am
We're no longer a major conference team. We are a sunbelt conference team. We may lose this one.

Think citadel.

Threads like this and posts like this makes you realize how much hate and stupidity is on this board.  WE WON THE SEC WEST LAST YEAR PEOPLE!!!

woo hoo we 'won' the west.  Then lost 3 in a row, then lost our best players and coaches and offensive line and defense.

we will open flat, get giant killed by Troy, and end up playing Tulsa in the liberty bowl.

hubbard1015

If we are not on our p's and q's we will lose the game!!!!

mbacker85

Mark Lericos

Quote from: hogfan3414 on April 17, 2007, 10:27:37 am
Quote from: Mark Lericos on April 17, 2007, 10:05:03 am

Arkansas
    Florida
    Oklahoma State
    Georgia

Afraid??  How many of those games do you think their coaches and AD are expecting to win of those?  You don't think there is any chance they did for say...the paycheck.

I wish I had a stick to beat people with around here. Sure the Trojans love the payday... but they aren't intimidated going into hostile stadiums. And I don't mean ASU.  I mean FSU, Nebraska, Miami, Georgia, the list goes on and on.

I can't spell it out for some of you. Troy is not Louisiana Monroe or a cupcake. If Arkansas beats them, and they SHOULD, it will be a quality win, and they'll have to earn it.

By the way, those referencing last year's team should keep in mind-  No Butu, No Jamaal, No Houston, No WR other than Monk, injuries along the d-line.  A new offense being installed. I've yet to see anything from Arkansas that scares me being a Troy alumni. And I doubt Troy's coaches and players aren't either.  Except for DMAC... I wouldn't want to tackle him in open space.  Ahem. 

Call Mr. Sow

April 17, 2007, 03:49:41 pm #73 Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 03:51:47 pm by Call Mr. Sow
One thing you have to say about Nutt is that he does beat the nonconference teams he's favored over, at least until bowl season.  Unless I'm mistaken, he has never been UPSET by a nonconference team in the regular season (though UNLV came damn close). 

That said, Troy will not be an overwhelming underdog, the Hogs are replacing their O-Line and most of their impact players on defense, we can expect Lee's (presumably) unimaginative offense to be even more vanilla as he tries not to 'show our hand' in this game, and as good a defensive coordinator as I think Herring is, it takes about 4 games before his defense starts to play well. 

All other things being equal (barring injuries), I see a 10 point Hog win. 

pigsknuckle

Nutt's teams have never ever played well early in a season.  Troy will give the Hogs all they can handle with the early game -- if we played them late we would beat them by 2 touchdowns. 

Corganist

Worst case scenario is that its another Utah State. We look bad and still win by 3 scores. You guys that are hyping Troy up because they gave Florida State and Georgia Tech tough games last year seem to be disregarding the fact that Arkansas is returning the bulk of a team that gave Florida, LSU, and Wisconsin all they could handle last year.

Mark Lericos

Quote from: Corganist on April 17, 2007, 04:23:58 pm

Worst case scenario is that its another Utah State. We look bad and still win by 3 scores. You guys that are hyping Troy up because they gave Florida State and Georgia Tech tough games last year seem to be disregarding the fact that Arkansas is returning the bulk of a team that gave Florida, LSU, and Wisconsin all they could handle last year.

Please explain to me how the bulk of the Hogs team is returning?  Last I checked... a good portion of them are gone or injured right now.

ilovepinebluff

Think citadel.

Wow....just wow.

Think Citadel? That was 15 years ago!!!!

HotRodHog

Troy is a good team period. Arkansas is coming off a good year itself. To say that Troy will give Arkansas all it wants, is not an insult to our program - it simply reflects a good team coming back with the core of its players wanting to beat an SEC team. The Trojans will be ready for us, and I think we for them, but however it turns out, you will see two good teams slugging it out on the field. I give Troy their props - they remind me alto of Southern Mississippi historically.  Someone earlier posted that we will lose if they score more than 28, I tend to agree. If I were a betting man, I would call it a push.
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
- Napoleon Bonaparte

"When I played pro football, I never set out to hurt anyone deliberately - unless it was, you know, important, like a league game or something" Dick Butkus

UofA Alumnus

rljjr

Troy could be the modern Citadel ... watch out!!!

Corganist

Quote from: Mark Lericos on April 17, 2007, 04:27:12 pm
   Please explain to me how the bulk of the Hogs team is returning?  Last I checked... a good portion of them are gone or injured right now.

We return almost all of the starting skill players on the offense, as well as several key role players on both offense and defense. I'll grant that the losses on the offensive and defensive lines, as well as the loss of guys like Chris Houston and Sam Olajabutu will make for some difference between this year's team and last year's, but enough to take us from running neck and neck with the national champions all the way down to sweating over a Sun Belt school? Come on. I don't see how there aren't going to be a lot of familiar faces on the field for the Razorbacks this year.

Mark Lericos

It's not how many... it's what position players are gone... and how good they were.  O-line losses are big, so is d-line losses (keith jackson, jamaal, harrison out for awhile), leading tackler (Butu), shutdown cornerback (Houston).  You may have a bunch of returnees...but when your star players and core impact guys (linemen) are gone... that's a problem.

granted DMAC and Felix and Monk return... and that's huge. But no second WR, dick at Qb in a new offense with another new coordinator... oh I could go on and on.

We'll see what happens in the fall.  8)

vbtj

You people are crazy.  How many people posted that they hope Troy is this years Citadel.  No true HOG FAN I know would wish for us to loose.   Somebody brought up the Boise St. game several years ago we blew them out early in the year and after that I am pretty sure they went undefeated.  THe Missouri team Troy beat a couple of years ago wasn't  all that great.  All they had was the mobile QB which I seem to remember we wooped the same Missouri team in the Liberty Bowl.        GO HOGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thermonuclearpig

Well, if Troy beats us maybe they'll pull a Jack Crowe and fire the bum before he gets home. Remember the Citadel! Hey, then he can text message about that.

hogzirra

Quote from: ttownhog on April 17, 2007, 12:09:30 am
if so many of you think troy is so good then why is it bad if the game is close? Shouldn't the game be close if they are so good to almost upset so many teams. Las Vegas is not stupid, if troy is good, it won't be a big spread, so what then if the game is close? Why would it be a big deal to have a close game with a good team? By the way.... I don't think troy is that good, nor do I think the game will be that close.

You obviously don't know how the betting lines work.  Vegas doesn't set the line to what they think the actual outcome will be.  The spread is set at the number they think will get an even amount bet on both teams.
"The smell of fat chicks throws my spine out of place"

-David Bowie

gohogs

camden5r

Quote from: go hogues on April 17, 2007, 02:04:24 am
Quote from: hawgwild1087 on April 17, 2007, 01:05:21 am
We're hard to beat at home though.
You're joking? Right?

I think we'll whip Troy, but I think it will give a lot of fans false hope.  The ugliness will set in two weeks later at Tuscaloosa where we'll get waxed.  From the Bama game on, we have NO OFF WEEKS.  We are staring a no-better-than 7 win season in the face. 
Will see!!!!!!! You will be wrong.

Call Mr. Sow

Quote from: vbtj on April 17, 2007, 07:02:54 pm
You people are crazy.  How many people posted that they hope Troy is this years Citadel.  No true HOG FAN I know would wish for us to loose.   Somebody brought up the Boise St. game several years ago we blew them out early in the year and after that I am pretty sure they went undefeated.  THe Missouri team Troy beat a couple of years ago wasn't  all that great.  All they had was the mobile QB which I seem to remember we wooped the same Missouri team in the Liberty Bowl.        GO HOGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't hope Troy beats the Hogs, but for keeping Nutt....the PTB kind of deserve it.

taoteching

Remember the Citadel!

Same old story.......they will stack the line to stop Darren McFadden and Felix Jones. 

Troy beat rice in a bowl game.  They won their conference so they should be better than the other sunbelt teams.

It will be a very interesting game.

Robby H

I don't want the Hogs to ever lose a game, and if we were to lose to Troy and Houston stays then I say beat Troy by 50, but if we lose to Troy and Houston goes, I wonder if that is better for the program in the long run.
"Have you for so long eaten of the scraps from [Frank's] table that you've missed your God-Given right to something more!?!"   

-William Wallace, Scottish Rebel and Hogfan