Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pelphrey had a press conference today...

Started by moses_007, April 12, 2007, 05:52:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

moses_007

And he's getting a lot of things accomplished, including hiring assistant coaches.  It appears none of Heath's former assistants will be retained on the staff.

http://www.hogwired.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=6100&ATCLID=860893

:razorback:

Amityvillehogger

Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

moses_007

Least he's still on the job 3 days later...an Arkansas record. :razorback:

Squealsonwheels

Coach continues to impress me with his ideas and thoughts on the programs future...Also I loved hearing him bring up Coreys name...One of if not the greatest PG's ever at Arkansas   :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

babywhiz

What is the status with Sean McCurdy?

"It's my understanding that he has gotten his release. I have not had a conversation with him yet. Most of the guys have been able to stop by and see me from time to time. I encourage them to do that, although I've been in and out, too. I've missed one or two guys, but Sean and I have not had a chance to talk yet."

Has anyone else indicated that they want their release?

"No."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*Dances a jig*

Who called it?  8)

*Dances another jig*

Teens aren't ALWAYS stupid. heh.  :P

Safe is boring. Sweet insanity is the voice saying "I bet we can fit one more in there."

moses_007

Quote from: babywhiz on April 12, 2007, 05:56:38 pm
What is the status with Sean McCurdy?

“It’s my understanding that he has gotten his release. I have not had a conversation with him yet. Most of the guys have been able to stop by and see me from time to time. I encourage them to do that, although I’ve been in and out, too. I’ve missed one or two guys, but Sean and I have not had a chance to talk yet.”

Has anyone else indicated that they want their release?

“No.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*Dances a jig*

Who called it?  8)

*Dances another jig*

Teens aren't ALWAYS stupid. heh.  :P

Pelphrey indicated he hadn't talked to Sean and he hadn't seen him.  So I figure he is gone.

OzarkHighs

He also said that he hadn't talked to all the players and he isn't keeping Cyprien.

3kgthog

That's funny he said that about McCurdy since I could swear news footage last week of the guys practicing showed McCurdy dishing to Beverley for a jumper. Maybe it was stock footage from months ago.

moses_007

Quote from: OzarkHighs on April 12, 2007, 06:14:04 pm
He also said that he hadn't talked to all the players and he isn't keeping Cyprien.

Think he wants new blood on his staff.  I can't say as I blame him.

Philip Seaton

Quote from: 3kgthog on April 12, 2007, 06:26:15 pm
That's funny he said that about McCurdy since I could swear news footage last week of the guys practicing showed McCurdy dishing to Beverley for a jumper. Maybe it was stock footage from months ago.

It was stock footage, I saw the same thing, but if you looked closely Heath was running the practice in the background.

RhodeHog

Quote from: philip.seaton on April 12, 2007, 06:51:22 pm
Quote from: 3kgthog on April 12, 2007, 06:26:15 pm

It was stock footage, I saw the same thing, but if you looked closely Heath was running the practice in the background.

Thanks for clearing that up because I thought the same thing.

Mark Lericos

It wasn't stock footage we showed. McCurdy was there last week practicing with the other players.

adamsp79

RhodeHog

Quote from: Mark Lericos on April 12, 2007, 07:00:13 pm

It wasn't stock footage we showed. McCurdy was there last week practicing with the other players.

I saw the footage on 24/51.  I don't remember seeing Heath there, but that doesn't mean he wasn't because it was just a real short clip.

Boarcephus

I thought I heard Mike Irwin say yesterday he was gone.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

reggie06

Personally i thinkthe hiring of this clown is a joke!! A sunbelt conference coach is all they could get cause lets face it folks,nobody wants to come to arkansas and who could blame them. I do however hope he does wellcause bb is about the only sport i cheer for up there.I Still say should have fired frank and let new ad handle the search.Its a shame to sit there and lie to all of us and tell us he was on your list .What a crock of bs.Should have hired mike anderson if he would take the job.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Right now im a Pelphrey fan but IMO he should have kept Cyp

ishankem

I think he should pick his own staff cause in the end, it's his butt on the line

TorsinAHog

Quote from: reggie06 on April 12, 2007, 07:26:09 pm
Personally i thinkthe hiring of this clown is a joke!! A sunbelt conference coach is all they could get cause lets face it folks,nobody wants to come to arkansas and who could blame them. I do however hope he does wellcause bb is about the only sport i cheer for up there.I Still say should have fired frank and let new ad handle the search.Its a shame to sit there and lie to all of us and tell us he was on your list .What a crock of bs.Should have hired mike anderson if he would take the job.

??? ??? ??? ??? ???
To borrow from Mark Twain, there are three kinds of lies:
lies, darned lies, and the UA Athletic Department.

http://foas.us/images/sigs/hamilton.jpg

SLC

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on April 12, 2007, 07:28:16 pm

I understand the sentiment, but I tend to prefer clean breaks. 
I need your truthful reply - lie, I will know it... and death will be no respite.

HawgAdvocate

blasphemy
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Tusks

So Mark, do you have any info on the HDN/D.B. connection?
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Semper Hogelis

Hmmm. Zoloft, or Paxil?
I need a monkey, a football and a bucket of grease. HY coaching search 2019....

ishankem

Quote from: Semper Hogelis on April 12, 2007, 07:50:14 pm
Hmmm. Zoloft, or Paxil?

how about shock therapy?

Ironhawg

Mike Anderson had no interest.

jbcarol

At least he's not "High School", ...  Reggie.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Ironhawg

Did you notice when he was talking about hiring two more assistants what he said he was looking for?  He wants guys who think like head coaches or have prior head coaching experience.  Who fits that description and has a past connection to Arkansas and Pelphrey?  I believe James Dickey, who was a Sutton assistant at Arkansas, was still an assistant at Kentucky when Pelphrey was a player.  He also has head coaching experience.

slopinhogs

i believe coach P said he was gone in the interview.
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

slopinhogs

oh by the way i like the guy . he is forthright with his answers and it has been a long time since that happened up there.
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

deucea729

Poor man's forrest city joe.   ;)

BTW, you couldn't be more wrong, reggie.

silvertip

A bunch of great ideas, but he needs to learn to talk in paragraphs.  8)

pignatious

You can really tell from the transcript that this guy lives and breathes the game. He knows what it takes to win, mental and physical toughness in last few minutes. "Fatigue makes cowards of us all" was a great quote by Nolan, and I think Pelphrey will see this does not happen with Arkansas. I think we will win a whole lot more than 7 games in 5 years on the road in the SEC.  ;) Can't wait for next season!
Freedom is never free.

bsking

Thanks for the optimism.  Yeah we should have hired Phil Jackson, too.
Heres the thing you have to realize.  Everyone has to start somewhere:

Pitino:               Began 5 Years at Boston University:  1 NIT 1 NCAA Tourney-------Turned out OK
Mike Krzyzewski: Began 5 Years at University of S. Mass 1 NIT 0 NCAA Tourney-----Decent Turnout
John Pelphrey:    Began 5 Years at S. Bama University 1 NIT 1 NCAA Tourney-------Destiny?

Its basically fate that Pelphrey is going to amazing.

hoglady

Just because he coached at So. Alabama doesn't mean he's a clown - everyone has to start somewhere and it's usually at a smaller D1 school. If Pitino, Sutton, Donovan and the Florida AD have given him a thumbs up - I'm quite sure I don't know more than they do.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

bd93

I think your post was a crock of BS. :puke:

AnthroHog

Quote from: OzarkHighs on April 12, 2007, 06:14:04 pm

Well, hopefully Pelphrey and Ostrom's recruiting prowess is well deserved.  It stinks that Cyprien is being let go because I thought he was supposed to be the best recruiter on Heath's staff.  At least Cyprien is landing on his feet at Oklahoma State.

oldfart

I think Lombardi used that quote a lot. not sure where it originated......
Quote from: pignatious on April 12, 2007, 09:45:02 pm
You can really tell from the transcript that this guy lives and breathes the game. He knows what it takes to win, mental and physical toughness in last few minutes. "Fatigue makes cowards of us all" was a great quote by Nolan, and I think Pelphrey will see this does not happen with Arkansas. I think we will win a whole lot more than 7 games in 5 years on the road in the SEC.  ;) Can't wait for next season!

hogsmaster

Quote from: slopinhogs on April 12, 2007, 08:41:45 pm
oh by the way i like the guy . he is forthright with his answers and it has been a long time since that happened up there.

I always felt that Heath was always direct, even in discussing his job status when there were all those rumors prior to him being fired.

Pork Twain

Give it up already Nolan...
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

justonefan

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on April 12, 2007, 07:28:16 pm

I thought I read in an article (DG maybe) that Cyprien had some other offers on the table.  He indicated they needed to hurry up and find a coach because he wanted to stay for the guys as long as he could, but he had to make a decision pretty soon.  This was during the "Real Deal".  so, maybe he doesn't want to stay.

PowderedToastMan

I thought when they first hired him, he was going to be alright, now I am confident that this guy is going to be pretty good. 
I wish he would have kept Cyprien.  He has kept the team together the last few weeks, I think he deserves a shot to stay if he wants to.
WOOOOOOOO PIG SOOIE!!!

JoePaul03

Quote from: bsking on April 12, 2007, 09:45:12 pm

Pitino:               Began 5 Years at Boston University:  1 NIT 1 NCAA Tourney-------Turned out OK
Mike Krzyzewski: Began 5 Years at University of S. Mass 1 NIT 0 NCAA Tourney-----Decent Turnout
John Pelphrey:    Began 5 Years at S. Bama University 1 NIT 1 NCAA Tourney-------Destiny?

I don't think Coach K was ever at S. Mass was he? I think he was at Army before Duke...
WCOB, 2003

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: oldfart on April 12, 2007, 10:59:21 pm

I could be wrong, but I think Patton was the first to have said that.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

lrhogfan24

Mike Anderson?  You mean the guy whose team only one 18 games this past season?  A Big 12 school for sure but only one 2 games against major conference schools (Arkansas and Miss St.), with a conference losing record and only three wins away from home all year?  The year before that he only had 15 wins and a 5 and 12 conference record.  I know he coached with Nolan, this doesn't mean he is Nolan.  So why again should we have hired him?

CTHOG

Quote from: Question-Man on April 13, 2007, 12:16:11 pm

Lombari was the first to use "Fatigue makes cowards of us all."

http://en.thinkexist.com/search/searchQuotation.asp?search=fatigue+makes+cowards+of+us+all

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 06, 2007, 10:13:22 pmI hereby dub you "ThesaurusHog"!

Quondo Omni Flunkus Mortati

If it moves, its Biology.
If it stinks, its Chemistry.
If it doesn't work, its Physics.

hogtusk

Quote from: JoePaul03 on April 13, 2007, 11:40:53 am
Quote from: bsking on April 12, 2007, 09:45:12 pm

I don't think Coach K was ever at S. Mass was he? I think he was at Army before Duke...
Coach K was at USMA (United States Military Academy) for 5 years before going to Duke. He did go to the NIT once while there.
Life is full of uncertainty, but I could be wrong about that.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: CTHOG on April 13, 2007, 01:29:53 pm

Lombari was the first to use "Fatigue makes cowards of us all."

http://en.thinkexist.com/search/searchQuotation.asp?search=fatigue+makes+cowards+of+us+all

Interesting.  I found this:

Fatigue makes cowards of us all. Men in condition do not tire.
At this website:
http://www.pattonhq.com/unknown/chap13.html
(Do a ctrl f using the word fatigue.  It'll be the second find.)
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

hogtusk

Quote from: Question-Man on April 13, 2007, 03:05:34 pm
Quote from: CTHOG on April 13, 2007, 01:29:53 pm

Lombari was the first to use “Fatigue makes cowards of us all.”

Interesting.  I found this:

Fatigue makes cowards of us all. Men in condition do not tire.
At this website:
http://www.pattonhq.com/unknown/chap13.html
(Do a ctrl f using the word fatigue.  It'll be the second find.)
Looks like Lombardi was a plagiarist.:)
Life is full of uncertainty, but I could be wrong about that.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.