Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

DA is a bad hire.

Started by Bogarto, April 02, 2007, 10:56:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SidApollo

Quote from: ScottFaldon on April 03, 2007, 01:36:34 pm
Yes, in a metro that is more than double the size of NWA.

Arkansas is a state school. Everybody in the state pays attention to the Hogs. You can't tell me that there aren't lots of fans who travel from other places within the state to regularly attend Hogs games. Creighton is a small, Jesuit-Catholic university with 6,000 students in the shadows of the University of Nebraska. Yet Altman turned the Bluejays into the main event in town, whenever they play at the Qwest Center Omaha. It's not a fair comparison.

big john

i will be calling them hawgs it better to support my coach i got now then to lisen to some body that dont love these hawgs let get behind our new coach an support him if your not a coach dont say nothing if you you cant say nothing good let cheer our now coach to the new season  :P
john goodwin

football-writer

Rob, in TR's defense he was criticizing negative fans for being negative on a coach who has not coached one game on the Razorback sidelines.  In my opinion, innocent until proven guilty.  I say give him five years...he hasa Stan's kids for four...let's see what he can do after five when he has a couple of HIS classes under his belt.
Bobby Petrino...putting fear into opposing SEC coaches one recruit at a time

dickyhog

Quote from: HawgWyld on April 03, 2007, 12:04:19 am
Quote from: razorback45 on April 02, 2007, 11:01:12 pm
I thing he will.  Just needed a place where he can pull in that one or two high quality players to push him over the top.

From his resume on Hogwired DA has more tournament appearences than SH has coaching
including several second round appearences and an elete 8 appearence

Creighton
2007 (22-11, NCAA Tournament first round)
2006 (20-10, NIT second round)
2005 (23-11, NCAA Tournament first round)
2004 (20-9, NIT first round)
2003 (29-5, NCAA Tournament first round)
2002 (23-9, NCAA Tournament second round)
2001 (24-8, NCAA Tournament first round)
2000 (23-10, NCAA Tournament first round)
1999 (22-9, NCAA Tournament second round)
1998 (18-10, NIT first round)

Kansas State
1994 (20-14, NIT Final Four)
1993 (19-11, NCAA Tournament first round)
1992 (16-14, NIT second round)
1989 (19-11, NCAA Tournament first round)
1988 (25-9, NCAA Tournament Elite Eight)
1987 (20-11, NCAA Tournament second round)

Moberly (Mo.) Junior College
1986 (34-4, sixth at NJCAA national tourmament)
1985 (35-5, third at NJCAA national tournament)

Southeast (Fairbury, Neb.) Junior College
1983 (29-6, third at NJCAA national tournament)
That record has already be debunked on another thread. Altman never made it to the Elite Eight and Kansas State got sent home in the first round by Tulane during the one year that team did make it to the NCAA Tournament under Altman.

When you count in the "cannon fodder" bids Creighton got for winning MVC tournaments under Altman, he never made it past the second round.

Congratulations, Hogs fans. Looks like we ran off Heath and have been rewarded with a coach who washed out at the only job at a major college he's ever had.

Considering how many of us cursed Heath over the past few years (and, I'm a bit guilty of that, even though I almost hated to see him go), Altman's probably about what we deserve.

I've tried to be a bit optimistic, but DAMN! I find it hard to believe a coach who averages about 70 points per game is going to change his stripes and run some up-tempo, aggressive basketball. It sounded a bit too much like Houston Nutt promising to work up an effective passing offense.

This just appears to be an awful hire, particularly when you consider the names that were being thrown around as possibilities for the vacancy just a few weeks ago. It truly sucks to be a Hogs fan these days.

Wow... I'm surprised at how the disappointment spins DA into a bad coach.  I can't see how 9 consecutive 20-win seasons and 7 NCAAT berths in those 9 years is a bad thing.  He didn't win in the NCAAT because he was coaching midmajor team in the MVC.  He can't get the kind of talent at Creighton that he'll be able to bring in to UofA. 

Just wait... you'll be surprised with him.  I am very excited to see what's in store for us.

SpareRib

Quote from: WestMemphisHogFan on April 02, 2007, 11:08:14 pm
I can't tell you  HOW MUCH I disagree with this thread.  I believe the DA hire is going to prove to be a huge success.  What is happening, IMO, is the anger that so many people have towards our administration is spilling over to our new HC.  It didn't matter who JFB hired, some wouldn't have liked them.  I read where some were griping about the possibilit of hiring Calipari.  Some were complaining about possibly hiring Gillispie.  Some didn't like Self, etc. 

Whomever was chosen, would have some that were against them.    It is the nature of the beast.  I support DA 110% and look forward to some great things.

Hey WMHF - If you intend to cast your pearls before swine, you picked a good place to do it!

Pork Out
I'll fish 'til the money's gone ... then I'll fish for food!<br /><br />My heritage - Dutch/Polish/German on one side, English/Welsh on the other.  I'm a mutt, not a show dog.  Proud to be an American!

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Bogarto on April 02, 2007, 11:11:35 pm
I'm not taking it out on DA. I just don't think he's a good hire.

Well then don't let the Door Hit ya where the Good Lord Split ya!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Richard_white

Quote from: V on April 02, 2007, 11:52:08 pm
doubtful Bogarto has ever been to a game much less coached one. disregard this thread

Okay I don't agree with Bogarto but what makes your opinion any better?  Have you coached D-1 basketball?  If not, what makes your opinion any better than his?

On this note, after his presser yesterday, go DA and go Hogs!

Isaidno

Quote from: donewithdale on April 02, 2007, 11:01:53 pm
So bog, would you call Stan just an avg coach?  I think most of us would.  If you look at our team the last two seasons, the right coaching move here or there and a solid PG and this team is 3 or 4 games better.  That translates to much higher seed in the NCAAT.  So if Dana is just 'above average' we've made an improvement.  If he can recruit(especially guards), this will be successful because we will attract good athletes and above avg coaching will develop them.

Stan and Dana are both average. Broyles went out and got us a run of the mill guy to take over for another sub-par performer. Altman had his chance at a big school already.

BringBackGusMalzon

Here's the thing...Arkansas has some of the most fair weather fans when it comes to the basketball team.  Mainly b/c of the past few years under Heath.  How are we supposed to be satisfied with our coach currently when Broyles has done the exact same thing.  To keep the fans happy, which is what you DO...you spend the money to get a coach, we've spent the money already...in my opinion not enough...and once again the university will have optimistic and unhappy fans unless this new coach comes out swinging.  We have to settle with the fact that he is here, but unlike Stan Heath he better be tough!  

hoginsanfran

April 03, 2007, 02:44:08 pm #109 Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 02:45:51 pm by hoginsanfran
Thought i'd let this one be up top by the other thread with a more negative vibe to it...

Dana Altman is a good hire because......................

*HE KNOWS HOW TO WIN
(improved his first 7? 8? years, won 29 games in 02, consistantly wins MORE than 20 wins -- in a weak conference with small guys)

*HE KNOWS HOW TO WORK THE OFFICIALS (as named by various college hoops news services, he chews them out without going all bob knight)

*HE REVITALIZED FAN SUPPORT (took a school with historically low fan support averaging 2K a game and led them to an 18K seat arena averaging 15K...  he already said he wanted the student section to be more intimidating)

What more do you guys want?  This is a GOOD HIRE! (add your own reasons please, keep this thread near the top as maybe DA himself could read this board.... yeah we didnt get calipari or self but for crying out loud it's a GOOD HIRE!)

dickyhog

Quote from: Isaidno on April 03, 2007, 02:39:29 pm
Stan and Dana are both average. Broyles went out and got us a run of the mill guy to take over for another sub-par performer. Altman had his chance at a big school already.

Why do you think DA is average?  I'm just curious.  If you know anything about the MVC, that conference is getting to be pretty respected nationally.  He has the MVC record for consecutive 20-win seasons, and his in conference winning percentage is 72%. 

Tell me why that is average.

Spiral_cut

I think Altman is a great hire & I can't wait til he proves all of you pessimists wrong.

hawgsav1

Look, right now I will admit, the Dana Altman hire right now has it's questions, from looking at the records and his win percentage etc.  I will admit that I still have my doubts and I'm not sure if Altman can do what it takes.  But it's time for us fans to step up and support him.  Look, our actions have an effect on the program.  If we don't support a coach and we continually bad-mouth and talk nonsense, we won't be able to get behind him and support him when we need it.
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

SidApollo

Quote from: ScottFaldon on April 03, 2007, 02:37:02 pm
If we were talking about football, I'd agree with you.

When Arkansas plays a mid-week game on Wednesday night, there aren't as many fans from outside NWA attending. That's why metro size is a bigger factor in basketball attendance than football attendance.

Omaha is the 60th largest metro in the US. NWA is 117th.

So while Altman got the attendance up at Creighton, he also had a larger base of fans from which to draw. Obviously, playing a fan-friendly style and putting winning teams on the court is important. But having a much larger population and a new arena helps as well.

Those seem to be valid points, but Creighton is a small school and Altman has been able to convert a ton of Nebraska football fans into Creighton basketball fans. The percentage of Nebraska alumni to Creighton alumni in the metro Omaha area is overwhelmingly in favor of the University of Nebraska, so it's really no small feat for him to have been able to fill the seats in the Qwest Center. Prior to making the move to the new arena, Creighton played its games in the 9,377-seat Omaha Civic Auditorium and averaged maybe 7,000 fans per game. Many people questioned the logic of jumping to an arena that they thought there was no way Creighton could fill, and that was when the Qwest Center seated 15,700. There were lots of people who thought Creighton should just buy the Civic Auditorium from the city for a bargain price and stay there. The first couple years at the Qwest, CU averaged about 12,000+ per game. Two years ago, the average attendance jumped to over 14,000 per game (before a couple NIT games with awful weather in the area dropped the final average to just under 14,000). Prior to this season, about 1,500 seats were added to the Qwest, upping its capacity to 17,272. Creighton set a school and conference record by selling 12,000+ season tickets (which is more than any other arena in the MVC seats), and the average jumped to 15,909 per game, which is one of the Top averages in college basketball and puts Creighton among schools like Tennessee, Kentucky, Arkansas, etc.

So, that's a long explanation of how it's not so easy for Altman to have drawn such great crowds to games in Omaha.

KevinVaco

I really think he's a solid coach; I remember that Nolan was not a popular hire following Sutton and he turned out to be dam good choice. I just hope we really play an up tempo style that was suggested at his press conference. I really miss those days.

whitecohogg

He has been having to recruit a bunch of lily white mid-westerners who have above 30 on the ACT and MAKING the tourney!! He has to know a little something about basketball

SidApollo

Quote from: ScottFaldon on April 03, 2007, 03:02:49 pm
All I'm saying is it's easier to get 16,000 people out to a game on Wednesday night when you've 1.2 million people in your metro.

It's easier to get people out to Wednesday night games when it's a fun product to watch on the court, and the team consistently wins games, and that's what Altman has done.

And, until you live in Omaha and understand the relationship between Creighton's fans and Nebraska's, you really can't comprehend how much of an amazing accomplishment it is for any Husker fans to come cheer for Creighton during the basketball season.

Think of it this way. If a school like Creighton was in Fayetteville, would Arkansas fans go attend its games and skip going to most of the Hogs games?

Isaidno

Quote from: whitecohogg on April 03, 2007, 03:12:15 pm
He has been having to recruit a bunch of lily white mid-westerners who have above 30 on the ACT and MAKING the tourney!! He has to know a little something about basketball

That's exactly the type of student athlete he's going to be bringing to Arkansas too. Get ready for a team of midgets.

SidApollo

Quote from: Isaidno on April 03, 2007, 03:14:45 pm
That's exactly the type of student athlete he's going to be bringing to Arkansas too. Get ready for a team of midgets.

Who was your choice, Isaidno? You are one of the most negative, pessimistic fools I've ever heard from. Nolan came from Tulsa. If you were even born yet, I bet you would have badmouthed him, too.

Try this analogy on for size. What if you worked your a** off at your job, and you did a great job with the resources you were given by your employers for 18 years. All your co-workers spoke highly of you, and you had shown loyalty to that company and stayed there for 13 years. Then one day you saw an opportunity for advancement at a bigger company that would give you the chance to achieve successes you could never reach at your current job, so you applied and were fortunate enough to be hired. But before you could sit down at your desk and even turn the computer on, there were a bunch of clients of that company complaining that you weren't good enough to be the guy they should have hired. They were all spewing hatred and casting doubts about your abilities, even though you had proven yourself to be very worthy of the opportunity your new employer had given you. How would you feel?

SpareRib

Man, why don't you just give it up.  Your cheap shots are uninformed and just plain puny.  Grow up.
I'll fish 'til the money's gone ... then I'll fish for food!<br /><br />My heritage - Dutch/Polish/German on one side, English/Welsh on the other.  I'm a mutt, not a show dog.  Proud to be an American!

Torqued pork

Didn't you see the sign? Coach Altman and Arkansas fans are on their honeymoon.Do not disturb!

jbcarol

When you compare the MVC coach against BCS conferences, you need to break out between Home, Road, Neutral, and Quasi-Neutral (in the same state as the BCS school).  It is hard for the MVC to get home-and-home series with BCS conf. schools.  You are probably looking at a high number of road games in that break out.  MVC did pretty good on the road in '06 following the formula prescribed for them by the Tournament Committee to get more schools in the Big Dance.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

big john

DA will be just fine but the guy that made the post mit need to see doctor john  :o
john goodwin

revolution

Hey, I'm not down on Dana Altman.  He's apparently a nice guy who's done a nice job in his career.  I hoped for more with this hire, and I don't think Altman's resume shows the kind of success we expect at Arkansas.  His winning percentage at Creighton is about 64%.  His winning percentage in Missouri Valley is 64%.  His overall winning percentage over the last 9 years is 71%.  So it's obvious there's some improvement there.

People may not have known Nolan, but he had won championships.  Junior College and NIT.  So his resume was probably some better when he took over the program.  Eddie Sutton?  Who cared about Ark. basketball back then?  It's to Coach Sutton's credit that he put Arkansas on the national map.

Dana's situation is different that Sutton's or Nolan's.  He'll succeed or fail based on his ability to meet fans' expectations.  I hope he does.

hawgsav1

Quote from: revolution on April 03, 2007, 03:55:35 pm
Hey, I'm not down on Dana Altman.  He's apparently a nice guy who's done a nice job in his career.  I hoped for more with this hire, and I don't think Altman's resume shows the kind of success we expect at Arkansas.  His winning percentage at Creighton is about 64%.  His winning percentage in Missouri Valley is 64%.  His overall winning percentage over the last 9 years is 71%.  So it's obvious there's some improvement there.

People may not have known Nolan, but he had won championships.  Junior College and NIT.  So his resume was probably some better when he took over the program.  Eddie Sutton?  Who cared about Ark. basketball back then?  It's to Coach Sutton's credit that he put Arkansas on the national map.

Dana's situation is different that Sutton's or Nolan's.  He'll succeed or fail based on his ability to meet fans' expectations.  I hope he does.

TWo things.  Yes, it's difficult to compare Altman and Nolan, considering Nolan's impressive resume when he got here with the NIT and NJCAA championship.  However, Eddie Sutton had the same winning percentage at Creighton that Altman has overall.  In fact, Altman has 68% winning percentage at Creighton, so if this hire turns into Eddie Sutton, I will certainly NOT complain.
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

redbug56

Quote from: WestMemphisHogFan on April 02, 2007, 11:08:14 pm
I can't tell you  HOW MUCH I disagree with this thread.  I believe the DA hire is going to prove to be a huge success.  What is happening, IMO, is the anger that so many people have towards our administration is spilling over to our new HC.  It didn't matter who JFB hired, some wouldn't have liked them.  I read where some were griping about the possibilit of hiring Calipari.  Some were complaining about possibly hiring Gillispie.  Some didn't like Self, etc. 

Whomever was chosen, would have some that were against them.    It is the nature of the beast.  I support DA 110% and look forward to some great things.

WESTMEMPHIS YOU ARE EXACTLY RIGHT.  +1 GREAT POST.  I SUPPORT ALTMAN 150% AND THINK HE IS A GREAT HIRE. SOME PEOPLE JUST HAVE TO HAVE SOMETHING TO WHINE ABOUT.

Rooka

:razorback: :razorback: You have your opinion I have mine, I believe this to be a good hire.  I will support the hogs whoever the coach is, except nutt.  I will root for these guys harder than ever. He already has kept PB here so give the man a chance before you start to criticize him. :razorback: :razorback:

SidApollo

In 17 years, if Anthony Grant has a winning percentage better than Altman's career winning percentage, then I'll admit he would have been a great hire for Arkansas. The same goes for Billy Gillispie, although he doesn't have to coach 17 more years to get to 18 years as a Division I head coach. I don't even know who you supported as the best choice for the job, but you gotta compare apples to apples, and these up-and-coming coaches that some people wanted have not reached the point that Altman is in his career yet...

MAC Daddy

I just got back from the Final Four and I met Bruce Webber and I asked his opinion of this hire...Bruce said that Dana is a great hire and will play pressure defense the entire game.  I also asked Bruce about Patrick Beverly and he told me that he was holding a scholarship for a top recuit and did not have a scholarship available for Patrick.  I could tell he was getting really tired of people asking him about Patrick..pretty cool conversation and Bruce was a very honest and down to earth coach.

TMc

I think DA is an excellent hire.., and so will all of the haters this time next year.  I cannot wait to see everyone backpedalling.

WestMemphisHogFan

Quote from: Bogarto on April 04, 2007, 01:49:49 am
Quote from: TMc on April 03, 2007, 04:40:23 pm
I think DA is an excellent hire.., and so will all of the haters this time next year.  I cannot wait to see everyone backpedalling.

Whos backpedalling now? Anyone still want to tell me DA is a great hire?

I still believe DA is a great coach, and should have been a great hire for the UofA.  What happened?  Who knows?  The soap opera on the hill continues to churn away.  What's next...stay tuned.

I really liked him, and was looking forward to watching the Hogs develop under him.  However...under the circumstances Bogarto, I can't continue to say he was a GREAT HIRE.

SpareRib

Quote from: WestMemphisHogFan on April 04, 2007, 07:32:21 am
Quote from: Bogarto on April 04, 2007, 01:49:49 am
Quote from: TMc on April 03, 2007, 04:40:23 pm

Whos backpedalling now? Anyone still want to tell me DA is a great hire?

I still believe DA is a great coach, and should have been a great hire for the UofA.  What happened?  Who knows?  The soap opera on the hill continues to churn away.  What's next...stay tuned.

I really liked him, and was looking forward to watching the Hogs develop under him.  However...under the circumstances Bogarto, I can't continue to say he was a GREAT HIRE.

Considering the mess that is surfacing this morning, it sounds like Altman may have been TOO good a hire to step into this cesspool.  I just keep hoping we can put the flames out before the whole program burns to the ground.

delbertdabusdriver

I love this thread.  Especially the part about all of us woh didn't want him here going to eat crow in a couple of years.  Little did all of you slaps realize YOU'D be the ones eating it in less than 24 hours.  Priceless.

jbcarol

April 04, 2007, 12:40:50 pm #133 Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 01:00:27 pm by jbcarol
Quote from: SidApollo on April 03, 2007, 04:31:08 pm

In 17 years, if Anthony Grant has a winning percentage better than Altman's career winning percentage, then I'll admit he would have been a great hire for Arkansas. The same goes for Billy Gillispie, although he doesn't have to coach 17 more years to get to 18 years as a Division I head coach. I don't even know who you supported as the best choice for the job, but you gotta compare apples to apples, and these up-and-coming coaches that some people wanted have not reached the point that Altman is in his career yet...

Sid, anyone on here who said you were schilling for Coach Altman was wrong about you.  I see the time stamp.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

HogsWellThenEndsWell

Apparently Dana thought he was a bad hire.
LIVE! Do not just Exist!!

V

when the man wouldn't call the Hogs and didn't even know any of our players, he was doomed even if he staye. he would have been a worse hire than Stan was.