Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

DA is a bad hire.

Started by Bogarto, April 02, 2007, 10:56:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogarto

Pump all the sunshine you want. Bottom line is he is an above average coach in a subpar conference. He will probably win enough games not to get fired but I don't see any Final Fours in our future. When Alabama got turned down by top coaches in football they did what it took to get Saban. We got burned and just settled for a quick hire so Frank can go to the Masters. If we were going to hire an up and comer we should have at least got one that had the chance to be great not one thats proven to be just above average.

Smite away. I hope DA proves me wrong but I just don't see it.

Table Rocker

Quote from: Bogarto on April 02, 2007, 10:56:33 pm
Pump all the sunshine you want. Bottom line is he is an above average coach in a subpar conference. He will probably win enough games not to get fired but I don't see any Final Fours in our future. When Alabama got turned down by top coaches in football they did what it took to get Saban. We got burned and just settled for a quick hire so Frank can go to the Masters. If we were going to hire an up and comer we should have at least got one that had the chance to be great not one thats proven to be just above average.

another display of that wonderful arkansas optimism

razorback45

I thing he will.  Just needed a place where he can pull in that one or two high quality players to push him over the top.

From his resume on Hogwired DA has more tournament appearences than SH has coaching
including several second round appearences and an elete 8 appearence

Creighton
2007 (22-11, NCAA Tournament first round)
2006 (20-10, NIT second round)
2005 (23-11, NCAA Tournament first round)
2004 (20-9, NIT first round)
2003 (29-5, NCAA Tournament first round)
2002 (23-9, NCAA Tournament second round)
2001 (24-8, NCAA Tournament first round)
2000 (23-10, NCAA Tournament first round)
1999 (22-9, NCAA Tournament second round)
1998 (18-10, NIT first round)

Kansas State
1994 (20-14, NIT Final Four)
1993 (19-11, NCAA Tournament first round)
1992 (16-14, NIT second round)
1989 (19-11, NCAA Tournament first round)
1988 (25-9, NCAA Tournament Elite Eight)
1987 (20-11, NCAA Tournament second round)

Moberly (Mo.) Junior College
1986 (34-4, sixth at NJCAA national tourmament)
1985 (35-5, third at NJCAA national tournament)

Southeast (Fairbury, Neb.) Junior College
1983 (29-6, third at NJCAA national tournament)
!!!!!!!!!!Love Those Hogs !!!!!!!!!!

Dwight_K_Shrute

I'm showing my support for Altman by not coming straight out and blasting this hire.  I could but I'm not.  I'm not going to come out either and pee down someone's leg and tell them it's raining.  That's Rick Schaeffer's job.  And if someone is pissed about the hire and they want to vent I say have at it.  Get it out now and maybe by Ball season we can all support the team.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

WestMemphisHogFan

I can't tell you  HOW MUCH I disagree with this thread.  I believe the DA hire is going to prove to be a huge success.  What is happening, IMO, is the anger that so many people have towards our administration is spilling over to our new HC.  It didn't matter who JFB hired, some wouldn't have liked them.  I read where some were griping about the possibilit of hiring Calipari.  Some were complaining about possibly hiring Gillispie.  Some didn't like Self, etc. 

Whomever was chosen, would have some that were against them.    It is the nature of the beast.  I support DA 110% and look forward to some great things.

superjw

time will tell DWD - I'm behind Coach Altman (not saying you're not) but one things for sure - DA is jumping into a snake pit of a college sports program and my prayers are with him - now, we're done with this thing - GO DIAMOND HOGS - they're rockin' the college baseball world - I'm proud of them!!! :razorback:
The Law of Insanity is this - doing things the same way and expecting different results.

Razor6

What will DA make money-wise?
I was there when we melted the internet!  Were you?

Blue35

I don't think you can call Altman an up and comer. He is 48 years old and has been a head coach for 21 years according to his bio. His record for the past 10 years is 72% win. If he can get SEC type players to come here, then he should be able to win 72% in the SEC. That would be an improvement over the last 10 years under Nolan and Stan. I am not totally convinced about this hire but this is what I see by looking at his record.

Table Rocker

I think its sad when a new coach is written off before he coach's his first game or signs his first recruit. And I wonder why I hear opposing fans dog us.

superjw

Quote from: WestMemphisHogFan on April 02, 2007, 11:08:14 pm
I can't tell you  HOW MUCH I disagree with this thread.  I believe the DA hire is going to prove to be a huge success.  What is happening, IMO, is the anger that so many people have towards our administration is spilling over to our new HC.  It didn't matter who JFB hired, some wouldn't have liked them.  I read where some were griping about the possibilit of hiring Calipari.  Some were complaining about possibly hiring Gillispie.  Some didn't like Self, etc. 

Whomever was chosen, would have some that were against them.    It is the nature of the beast.  I support DA 110% and look forward to some great things.
I totally agree with you WM - there has been SO MUCH negativity associated with Razorback sports that it's been spreading like cancer - so many Hog fans have been affected and they've allowed it to skew their attitudes and points of view - well hold on Hog fans, a new day has dawned for Razorback basketball - DA DID NOT come to Arkansas to lose - I support the man.  Welcome Coach Altman to Fayetteville, Arkansas.
The Law of Insanity is this - doing things the same way and expecting different results.

Razorcd424

I don't think you can say for sure either way yet.  Remember when Stan Heath came here coming off that great run in the NCAA tourney.  And we said "Okay here we go its gonna take time but he's gonna take us in a new direction."  We see how it worked out. He did do good but he still got fired.  Then go back to When Houston Nutt was hired, he said, "We are gonna win a national title here"  He had a great season to start with and now look at what a train wreck the football program has become.  Even though we went 10-4. He's staring his eventual reality in the face.  Now maybe Coach Altman will take us to new places.  Only time will tell but I don't believe you can say one way or the other.

revolution

Dana is equivalent to a name from the past - Sweet Tom Penders.  I tried to post this comparison earlier but it was moved to the trash can by an admin.  What is this board coming to?  My post was not unfair or malicious.  It was an opinion. 

jimmur74

Quote from: Bogarto on April 02, 2007, 10:56:33 pm

Sounds like You should apply as an Analyst at ESPN.

IMO You will eat major crow on this one.

hview

He is hired, can we not bury the dagger for awhile and get behind the guy.

WestMemphisHogFan

Quote from: Razorcd424 on April 02, 2007, 11:20:41 pm
I don't think you can say for sure either way yet.  Remember when Stan Heath came here coming off that great run in the NCAA tourney.  And we said "Okay here we go its gonna take time but he's gonna take us in a new direction."  We see how it worked out. He did do good but he still got fired.  Then go back to When Houston Nutt was hired, he said, "We are gonna win a national title here"  He had a great season to start with and now look at what a train wreck the football program has become.  Even though we went 10-4. He's staring his eventual reality in the face.  Now maybe Coach Altman will take us to new places.  Only time will tell but I don't believe you can say one way or the other.

Stan Heath had ONLY one season experience as HC. Dana has had 17+ years experience as a HC. A big difference, and he has a proven track record.  I feel that we can say with confidence...he will do fine!  I am excited!

WestMemphisHogFan

Quote from: Bogarto on April 02, 2007, 11:21:19 pm
I have a right to my opinion. I hope DA takes us to Final Four's and Championships. I just don't see it.

It's called VISION my friend.  I see it, and I am excited.

superjw

Quote from: hview on April 02, 2007, 11:23:38 pm
He is hired, can we not bury the dagger for awhile and get behind the guy.
Amen.  I'm already there...

revolution

Right, all opinions are equal.  But some are more equal than others.

Thrilbilly

I believe he can coach. The only thing that concerns me is recruiting. I would have preferred someone with a built in SEC caliber player recruiting  base.

Razorcd424

I feel good about it too but saying he's going to be great is on the other end of saying that he's from a mid level conference and he's not right for Arkansas. he's not coached a game yet at Arkansas nor has he recruited a single player yet.  All I am is saying lets pay a little attention to history here.  And we will have to wait and see.

WestMemphisHogFan

Quote from: Bogarto on April 02, 2007, 11:26:39 pm
Quote from: hogapalooza on April 02, 2007, 11:22:47 pm
How do you know! ???  He has not coached 1 game at Ar.  Not 1!

So maybe next year, or in 2 years you might be right, but today, you are Wrong!

No one is right or wrong today. We all have our opinions. I based my opinion on his past record and I just am not that impressed. How does that make me wrong?

The past ten years he has had a 72% winning percentage. Not too shabby I don't care what conference you are in.

MrsPiggy

You know, you can't kidnap a coach and make him come here.  A lot of people are blaming Broyles for this but you know what, I think he did try to get a big name.  And more than the 2 we heard about.  Others say we just needed to throw money at them and I believe we were willing to do that with certain coaches like Self and Calipari.  At the end of the day they said no to us.  What are you supposed to do? 

We need to face the fact that we haven't been relevant for nearly 10 years now.  It's sad but it's the truth.  We wasted 5 years with Heath and we can't magically erase that.  Look at the complaining the analysts did when we made the tournament.  If Duke had a year like ours would they have complained about them?  Coaches with teams that are winning NOW aren't going to give that up to come here.  Minnesota lucked into Tubby Smith b/c he was unhappy.  I think Billy Donovan will turn KY down no matter how much money they throw at him.

We need to support this coach because the alternative is permanent irrelevancy

WestMemphisHogFan

Quote from: Bogarto on April 02, 2007, 11:31:31 pm
So because he hasn't coached a game yet here I should be excited and think we are going to be great. I don't understand that logic.

What's wrong with optimism?  If you started a new job, wouldn't you want your boss to EXPECT you to succeed?  What if he had NO confidence in your abilities, BEFORE you even worked one day?  You would want your employer to give you the benefit of the doubt until you proved to him otherwise. 

I think we should be optimistic about this HC, until he proves that optimism ill-placed. 

Qbackinman

Give the guy a chance. Arkansas wasn't going to get a BIG name, a WOW name. This guy might be pretty good. We don't really know yet. If he runs a tough practice and doesn't gag on big leads against Miss St he's already a step up.

Go Hogs.

Catfish

Its not calledvis
Quote from: WestMemphisHogFan on April 02, 2007, 11:25:30 pm
I have a right to my opinion. I hope DA takes us to Final Four's and Championships. I just don't see it.

[/

Its not called vision...its called Kool Aid.  Be careful you dont drink too much of what Rick Shaffer is pouring.  This is an underwhelming hire and everyone knows it.

5 more years of mediocrity!

hview

I am excited about having Dana has our HC. I personally think he will do a great job. Lets give him a chance and support him. This was not my choice for HC, but he is here, lets support him, and the more I read about him the more I like him.

hawaiianhogster

Arkansas' record under Altman 0-0. Lets keep track, shall we?

HogRob711

Quote from: Table Rocker on April 02, 2007, 11:15:14 pm
I think its sad when a new coach is written off before he coach's his first game or signs his first recruit. And I wonder why I hear opposing fans dog us.
Quote from: Bogarto on April 02, 2007, 11:31:31 pm
So because he hasn't coached a game yet here I should be excited and think we are going to be great. I don't understand that logic.
You guys need to lay off the guy and give him a chance.....coming on here and bashing him is just plain stupid. period, if you dont like him then dont come to the games and focus your attention on getting nutt fired.......thats what we all want, but lay off the basketball coach for now, if after a year or two he does not produce winning seasons then by all means bash away, but i for one am tired of hearing people bit%^&ng about the new coach already.......just give him a chance

Qbackinman

0-0 is a good start. Clean slate, shall we?

WestMemphisHogFan

Quote from: Catfish on April 02, 2007, 11:36:46 pm
Its not calledvis

[/

Its not called vision...its called Kool Aid.  Be careful you dont drink too much of what Rick Shaffer is pouring.  This is an underwhelming hire and everyone knows it.

5 more years of mediocrity!

Yep...I guess it was the kool-aid drinkers that told the Wright brothers that "it will never fly" 

Vision believes and sees things that others don't.  Nothing wrong with being optimistic.  It has nothing to do with kool-aid, but everything to do with attitude.  If you would like to live with a negative, pessimistic attitude, help yourself.  Just don't try to bring everyone else down with you. 

MrsPiggy

it's only underwhelming b/c broyles goofed and thought he had gillispie and told everyone "we're getting a big name"

unknown does not necessarily equal bad coach

yeah, altman will have a tougher time and higher expectations with the fanbase.  he stayed at creighton because he was happy there not because he couldn't get another job

it's not "kool aid" to give a guy a chance before he's even seen his office

WestMemphisHogFan

Quote from: MrsPiggy on April 02, 2007, 11:43:19 pm
it's only underwhelming b/c broyles goofed and thought he had gillispie and told everyone "we're getting a big name"

unknown does not necessarily equal bad coach

yeah, altman will have a tougher time and higher expectations with the fanbase.  he stayed at creighton because he was happy there not because he couldn't get another job

it's not "kool aid" to give a guy a chance before he's even seen his office

Good post mrspiggy.  I agree.  I really like the "unknown doesn't necessarily equal bad coach."

rbarber46

I want DA to succeed because I love the hogs and I want us to be great again, but I feel like Frank let us down because the whole reason to get rid of Heath was to bring a proven winning coach. DA is yet to really win on a big stage like the SEC yet. I hope you guys are right and he is the 2nd coming. I just wish we hadn't be led on by Broyles about getting a big time coach.
" Coach Lee's offense is more broken down all the way where everything is right, " Crawford said. " Everything is for everybody. Coach Lee's offense is more advanced than the offense we had last year was. A lot more advanced. Coach Lee, he knows his stuff. "

arsuperhog

There are good and bad elements to this hire.

the Good:

Altman is a proven coach who has had extended success for several years.  He won 20+ plus games at Creighton for nine consecutive years, and has won more than 70 percent of his games.

He comes from a very tough conference. Granted, the Missouri Valley isn't the SEC, but every year it seems that it puts at least three teams in the tournament with at least on or two of these teams making the second or third rounds. 

The Bad:

Recruiting.  Will Altman be able to recruit talent that is SEC caliber?  Does he have any recruiting ties to the south, specifically Arkansas?  Will he be able to recruit the talent that is able to press and trap quality SEC opponents? 

Catfish

Make no mistake, my critisicm is directed at Broyles.  I wish Altman well, I may very well be proven wrong.  

It's my philosophy that you shouldnt hire somebody with a proven record of mediocrity.  Or someone thats been fired from another similar or lesser job.  I would rather take a chance on somebody who could be the next Billy Donovan, or the next Billy G, etc.  The examples are everywhere.  Donovan from Marshall, Gillispie from UTEP, John Thompson from Princeton, these guys were young, enthusiastic coaches with something to prove.  

Its goes the same in football.  Stoops had never been a head coach, Urban Meyer came from Bowling Green, Spurrier came from Duke, Jeff Tedford came from Oregon as an assistant.  

There are hidden gems out there.  The next great coach could have been Arkansas'.  Yet we settled on the safe hire.  Thats not how you become great.

V

doubtful Bogarto has ever been to a game much less coached one. disregard this thread

HawgWyld

Quote from: razorback45 on April 02, 2007, 11:01:12 pm
I thing he will.  Just needed a place where he can pull in that one or two high quality players to push him over the top.

From his resume on Hogwired DA has more tournament appearences than SH has coaching
including several second round appearences and an elete 8 appearence

Creighton
2007 (22-11, NCAA Tournament first round)
2006 (20-10, NIT second round)
2005 (23-11, NCAA Tournament first round)
2004 (20-9, NIT first round)
2003 (29-5, NCAA Tournament first round)
2002 (23-9, NCAA Tournament second round)
2001 (24-8, NCAA Tournament first round)
2000 (23-10, NCAA Tournament first round)
1999 (22-9, NCAA Tournament second round)
1998 (18-10, NIT first round)

Kansas State
1994 (20-14, NIT Final Four)
1993 (19-11, NCAA Tournament first round)
1992 (16-14, NIT second round)
1989 (19-11, NCAA Tournament first round)
1988 (25-9, NCAA Tournament Elite Eight)
1987 (20-11, NCAA Tournament second round)

Moberly (Mo.) Junior College
1986 (34-4, sixth at NJCAA national tourmament)
1985 (35-5, third at NJCAA national tournament)

Southeast (Fairbury, Neb.) Junior College
1983 (29-6, third at NJCAA national tournament)
That record has already be debunked on another thread. Altman never made it to the Elite Eight and Kansas State got sent home in the first round by Tulane during the one year that team did make it to the NCAA Tournament under Altman.

When you count in the "cannon fodder" bids Creighton got for winning MVC tournaments under Altman, he never made it past the second round.

Congratulations, Hogs fans. Looks like we ran off Heath and have been rewarded with a coach who washed out at the only job at a major college he's ever had.

Considering how many of us cursed Heath over the past few years (and, I'm a bit guilty of that, even though I almost hated to see him go), Altman's probably about what we deserve.

I've tried to be a bit optimistic, but DAMN! I find it hard to believe a coach who averages about 70 points per game is going to change his stripes and run some up-tempo, aggressive basketball. It sounded a bit too much like Houston Nutt promising to work up an effective passing offense.

This just appears to be an awful hire, particularly when you consider the names that were being thrown around as possibilities for the vacancy just a few weeks ago. It truly sucks to be a Hogs fan these days.

revolution

Folks, we're being Shaefferized about Dana Altman.  His record is below, and nothing in it predicts excellence.  He'll be okay, 20-10 on average.  Is this what you expect and hope for?

Some highlights:

Average record at K-State:  21-10

Average record at Creighton:  20-11

Record against ACC:  1-3
Against Atlantic 10:  7-4
Against Big East:  3-7
Against Big 10:  3-3
Against Big 12:  36-49
Against Conf. USA:  6-11
Against Mid-American:  3-5
Against Missouri Valley:  153-85
Against SEC: 3-4
Against Sunbelt:  4-2
Against WAC:  6-4

Also, his up-tempo, pressing defense teams at Creighton have averaged 68 points a game over the last 4 years.   High-octane, huh?

Dana Altman's Year-by-Year Coaching Ledger
SEASON SCHOOL RECORD PCT. POSTSEASON
1982-83 Southeast Junior College (Fairbury, Neb.) 29-6 .829 NJCAA Tournament
1982-83 Southeast JC total (One season) 29-6 .829 1 NJCAA
1983-84 Moberly Junior College (Moberly, Mo.) 25-9 .735
1984-85 Moberly Junior College (Moberly, Mo.) 35-5 .875 NJCAA Tournament
1985-86 Moberly Junior College (Moberly, Mo.) 34-4 .895 NJCAA Tournament
1983-86 Moberly JC totals (Three seasons) 94-18 .839 2 NJCAA's
1986-87 Kansas State University (assistant coach) 20-11 .645 NCAA Tournament
1987-88 Kansas State University (assistant coach) 25-9 .735 NCAA Tournament
1988-89 Kansas State University (assistant coach) 19-11 .633 NCAA Tournament
1986-89 Kansas State Asst. totals (Three season) 64-31 .674
1989-90 Marshall University 15-13 .536
1989-90 Marshall total (One season) 15-13 .536
1990-91 Kansas State University 13-15 .464
1991-92 Kansas State University 16-14 .533 NIT
1992-93 Kansas State University 19-11 .633 NCAA Tournament
1993-94 Kansas State University 20-14 .588 NIT
1990-94 Kansas State totals (Four seasons) 68-54 .557 1 NCAA, 2 NIT's
1994-95 Creighton University 7-19 .269
1995-96 Creighton University 14-15 .483
1996-97 Creighton University 15-15 .500
1997-98 Creighton University 18-10 .643 NIT
1998-99 Creighton University 22-9 .710 NCAA Tournament
1999-00 Creighton University 23-10 .697 NCAA Tournament
2000-01 Creighton University 24-8 .750 NCAA Tournament
2001-02 Creighton University 23-9 .719 NCAA Tournament
2002-03 Creighton University 29-5 .853 NCAA Tournament
2003-04 Creighton University 20-9 .690 NIT
2004-05 Creighton University 23-11 .676 NCAA Tournament
2005-06 Creighton University 20-10 .667 NIT
1994-Pres. Creighton totals (12 seasons) 238-130 .647 6 NCAA's, 3 NIT's
17-year Division I record as a head coach 321-197 .620 7 NCAA's, 5 NIT's
Four-year junior college record as a head coach 123-24 .837 3 NJCAA's
21-year record as a head coach 444-221 .668 15 postseason bids

Conference* Overall CU KSU MU
Atlantic Coast 1-3 0-2 — 1-1
Maryland 0-1 0-1 — —
Miami (Fla.) 0-1 0-1 — —
Virginia 0-1 — — 0-1
Virginia Tech 1-0 — — 1-0
Atlantic Sun 1-2 1-0 — 0-2
East Tennessee State 0-2 — — 0-2
Florida Atlantic 1-0 1-0 — —
Atlantic 10 7-4 4-3 3-1 ––
Dayton 1-0 1-0 — —
La Salle 2-0 — 2-0 —
Saint Bonaventure 1-0 1-0 –– ––
Saint Louis 0-1 0-1 — —
Temple 1-1 — 1-1 —
Xavier 2-2 2-2 — —
Big East 3-7 3-5 0-1 0-1
DePaul 0-1 0-1 — —
Louisville 1-0 1-0 — —
Marquette 0-3 0-3 — —
Notre Dame 1-1 1-0 0-1 —
Providence 1-0 1-0 — —
West Virginia 0-2 0-1 — 0-1
Big Sky 2-0 2-0 — —
Sacramento State 2-0 2-0 — —
Big South 2-1 1-0 –– 1-1
High Point 1-0 1-0 — —
Virginia Military Institute 1-1 — — 1-1
Big 10 3-3 3-3 — —
Illinois 0-1 0-1 — —
Iowa 2-1 2-1 — —
Minnesota 0-1 0-1 — —
Ohio State 1-0 1-0 — —
Big 12 36-49 12-8 23-41 1-0
Baylor 2-0 2-0 — —
Colorado 5-3 — 5-3 —
Iowa State 3-6 0-1 3-5 —
Kansas 2-8 — 2-8 —
Missouri 3-8 1-1 2-7 —
Nebraska 11-11 8-5 3-6 —
Oklahoma 5-3 — 5-3 —
Oklahoma State 2-10 1-1 1-9 —
Texas A&M 3-0 — 2-0 1-0
Big West 1-1 –– 1-1 —
Cal Santa Barbara 1-1 — 1-1 —
Colonial Athletic 5-0 5-0 –– ––
George Mason 1-0 1-0 — —
Georgia State 2-0 2-0 — —
Towson 2-0 2-0 — —
Conference USA 6-11 3-7 3-3 0-1
Houston 0-2 0-2 — —
Marshall 1-0 — 1-0 —
Southern Methodist 1-1 1-1 — —
Southern Mississippi 2-2 — 2-1 0-1
Tulane 0-1 — 0-1 —
Tulsa 2-5 2-4 0-1 —
Horizon League 1-1 1-0 — 0-1
Cleveland State 1-1 1-0 — 0-1
Metro Atlantic Athletic 1-1 1-0 0-1 —

Iona 1-0 1-0 — —
Siena 0-1 — 0-1 —
Mid-American 3-5 1-4 2-0 0-1
Akron 2-0 1-0 1-0 —
Central Michigan 0-1 0-1 — —
Kent State 0-2 0-2 –– ––
Ohio 1-1 — 1-0 0-1
Toledo 0-1 0-1 — —
Mid-Continent 18-2 11-2 7-0 —
Centenary 1-0 1-0 — —
IUPUI 1-0 1-0 — —
Oral Roberts 2-1 2-1 — —
Southern Utah 2-0 1-0 1-0 —
UMKC 10-1 4-1 6-0 —
Western Illinois 2-0 2-0 — —
Mid-Eastern Athletic 12-0 8-0 4-0 —
Bethune-Cookman 3-0 3-0 — —
Coppin State 2-0 — 2-0 —
Delaware State 3-0 2-0 1-0 —
Florida A&M 1-0 — 1-0 —
Morgan State 1-0 1-0 — —
Norfolk State 1-0 1-0 — —
North Carolina A&T 1-0 1-0 — —
Missouri Valley 153- 85 150- 84 3-1 —
Bradley 14-12 14-12 — —
Drake 17-7 17-7 — —
Evansville 16-8 16-8 — —
Illinois State 15-11 15-11 — —
Indiana State 19-8 19-8 — —
Missouri State 17-14 17-14 — —
Northern Iowa 18-7 18-7 — —
Southern Illinois 13-13 13-13 — —
Wichita State 24-5 21-4 3-1 —
Mountain West 10-5 7-5 2-0 1-0
Brigham Young 1-1 1-1 — —
Colorado State 3-0 2-0 — 1-0
TCU 1-1 1-1 — —
Wyoming 5-3 3-3 2-0 —
Northeast 2-0 — 2-0 —
Central Connecticut State 1-0 — 1-0 —
Long Island 1-0 — 1-0 —
Ohio Valley 3-1 2-0 1-0 0-1
Austin Peay State 0-1 — — 0-1
Murray State 1-0 — 1-0 —
Southeast Missouri State 1-0 1-0 — —
Tennessee Tech 1-0 1-0 — —
Patriot League 2-0 — 1-0 1-0
Army 1-0 — — 1-0
Lafayette 1-0 — 1-0 —
Southeastern 3-4 2-1 1-3 —
Arkansas 0-2 — 0-2 —
Auburn 0-1 0-1 — —
Florida 2-0 2-0 — —
Mississippi State 1-0 — 1-0 —
Vanderbilt 0-1 — 0-1 —
Southern 11-4 2-1 — 9-3

Appalachian State 1-1 — — 1-1
Charleston 1-0 — — 1-0
Chattanooga 3-1 1-1 — 2-0
Citadel 1-1 — — 1-1
Furman 3-1 1-0 — 2-1
Western Carolina 2-0 — — 2-0
Southland 5-1 1-0 4-1 —
Lamar 1-1 — 1-1 —
Sam Houston State 1-0 — 1-0 —
Texas-Arlington 1-0 1-0 — —
Texas-San Antonio 1-0 — 1-0 —
Texas State 1-0 — 1-0 —
Southwestern Athletic 12-0 11-0 1-0 —
Alabama State 1-0 — 1-0 —
Alcorn State 1-0 1-0 — —
Arkansas-Pine Bluff 2-0 2-0 — —
Grambling State 3-0 3-0 — —
Mississippi Valley State 4-0 4-0 — —
Southern 1-0 1-0 — —
Sun Belt 4-2 2-1 2-0 0-1
Arkansas-Little Rock 1-0 1-0 –– ––
South Alabama 0-1 — — 0-1
Western Kentucky 3-1 1-1 2-0 —
West Coast 2-1 1-1 1-0 —
San Diego 1-1 1-1 –– ––
Gonzaga 1-0 — 1-0 —
Western Athletic 6-4 3-3 3-1 —
Fresno State 4-0 3-0 1-0 —
Hawaii 1-2 0-2 1-0 —
Nevada 1-2 0-1 1-1 —
Non-Division I 6-0 1-0 4-0 1-0
District of Columbia 1-0 — — 1-0
Missouri-Rolla 1-0 — 1-0 —
Nebraska-Omaha 1-0 1-0 — —
Northeastern Illinois 1-0 — 1-0 —
Northwest Missouri State 1-0 — 1-0 —
SIU-Edwardsville 1-0 — 1-0 —
Totals 321- 197 238- 130 68- 54 15- 13
* - Based on conference memberships in 2006-07.

KillerK4

jhudson84

Conway Cool Daddy

Most of this was at an academic institution. Think Vandy in a smaller conference.

Why don't you at least give this guy one year to prove he isn't a terrible hire?

gduchar

Looks pretty damn good to me. What do you expect?

He's done a fantastic job at CREIGHTON for 12 YEARS. BCG has a couple good years at A&M and we try to give him the farm.

I'm gonna do the reasonable thing and see how he and his team perform before I make a final judgement.

oldbooniehog

Why don't we give him one year to prove he's not a terrible hire?

I, for one, am freaking sick and tired of being in a position of having to let these guys "prove" that they aren't "terrible hires."

I've been through this same exact thing with Jack Crowe and Danny Ford and Houston Nutt and Stan Heath, and now here we go again with Dana Altman.

Yee-haw.

Here we go again.

Thanks, Frank.

oldbooniehog

pignation

He was able to pull off those seasons at Creighton?  Creighton?  I think that's great.  I wonder what he can do when he has more tools and weapons in his arsenal. 

He also said at the pc that he presses all the time, but it is not the level of Nolan's press.  So, he never said anything about high-octane.

Just look up Billy Donovan's record at Marshall before he went to Florida. 

LordStanleysHog

So what exactly is the point of all this?  Are we supposed to get all up in arms, form a posse with torches and pitch forks and storm Bud Walton?  The guy hasn't coached a game at Arkansas, promises pressure defense and up-tempo offense, has convinced PB to stay and has a track record of winning games.  Thanks for the numbers but basketball isn't about numbers, it's about coaching, winning and forming kids into men and as far as everyone in the coaching ranks tends to believe we just hired a guy that can do all of that.  Anybody that is fan of the game, not of a particular university or team but of the game knows this guy can coach and has done it successfully in the one of the most highly regarded conferences in America, studying very carefully where he wanted to go and try to win a NC.  He thinks he can do it here and I can't wait to see him try.

Tripod1

woooooopig

Since you have so much time on your hands.........do this for us.

Do some research on Donavan, Gillispie, Self, etc.....

Do a break down on their records before they starting coaching at the programs they are at now.

Let's see if your theory and your rationalizing makes sense then.

southern hawg

Thanks for the info., I now like DA better than ever.  Those are not bad stats at all for a 6000 student Jesuit Catholic college.

Michaelt

Six NCAA appearances? And what does it take for a team from the Missouri Valley Conference to get into the NCAA tournament?
So with his coaching ability, and the talent that he's coached, from the MVC he put teams into the tournament six times;

Well, I wonder what a coach like that can do in the SEC with SEC caliber talent? I'm interested in finding out.
Hearing God's voice means not listening to the noise of the world around us.