• 389,011 Topics
• 22,021 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 ... 203 204 205 [206] 207 208 209 ... 369   Go Down

Author Topic: Road Trips: 3 Hots and a Cot  (Read 738285 times)

t418

• Band Nerd
Re: Road Trips
« Reply #10250 on: November 03, 2012, 12:33:37 am »

Here is the view from Sec A, that's where you want to be.

Dirty

• Gold Hogvillian
  • WPS!!!
« Reply #10251 on: November 03, 2012, 06:58:33 am »

Sec A. Row 39 seats 9&10

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Horsesrus

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: First time going need advice
« Reply #10252 on: November 03, 2012, 07:10:43 am »

Great reasonably priced Italian food =  Geraldi's!

http://www.geraldis.com/

Ate there last night before basketball game.  Nice call as everyone enjoyed the pizza.  Thanks for the tip.

Verge

« Reply #10253 on: November 03, 2012, 07:18:00 am »

You know what I wanted to ask the question here to those that go to games often and can tell me where the best places are to go. This us our first time because we don't live a hope skip and a jump away, and my husband is a paramedic that often can't get off work to go to games because is too busy working in the back of an ambulance pushing IVs into people keeping them alive. It's also my 8 year old's first time to go as well. Yes, my 8 year old son that has dreamed about watching his favorite team his whole life. So, I really don't give a flying flick how Many freaking years you've been on here because I'd bet my 8 year son is more of a die hard fan than you far weathered heart. My son LOVES his hogs no matter how many games they win, who the coach is, or what decisions the current AD makes which is much more than 90% of the sorry fans I hear in hear gripping 24/7 do which probably includes yourself. Saturday, I garentee my family and I will enjoy ourselfs more than you and the other rude posters on here ever could because we will get to see a "true" fan in the eyes of an 8 year old. So if your tired of these homegame post like mine do yourself a favor and don't look at them.  I don't care how many years you've been on here, your odiously a miserable fan. Have a great day. WPS!

Lol, holy balls!! You must be extremely hot to be married with that temper.

I say skip the food, leave the kid at the hotel, and drink away some anger on Dickson street.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #10254 on: November 03, 2012, 07:52:53 am »

Just like the bars in Germany..

Yeah, except that if those folks are walking down the street and they need to pee, they'll just turn away from the street, unzip and go at it. Saw that happen in residential neighborhoods over there a lot. A bit of a culture shock.

biggest one

• Band Nerd
« Reply #10255 on: November 03, 2012, 08:28:02 am »

If you want to be with the players family members and scholarship donars, sec W & V is where you want to be.  If you're across the field from those sections with the other visitors seats you will probably get some *ss with a cow bell in your ear.  Its horrible and you will leave the game with a splitting headache.  StubHub has those seats in W & V available but get them down low.  The seats in that section on the higher rows are Miss. St. seats.  I've been to alot of games over there and it's like a big high school. Fun but different.  Tip of Day-- If you tailgate don't leave ice chest or chairs out.  Ours >:( got ripped off last time we were there.  They're a class bunch over there!

HogMama0604

« Reply #10256 on: November 03, 2012, 08:33:26 am »

If only you were lucky enough to find that out.

go hogues

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • You're at an eight but we need you at a two.
« Reply #10257 on: November 03, 2012, 10:01:57 am »

That stadium makes WMS look like JerryWorld. Seats are so far away from the action.

Killens

• Band Nerd
  • Reppin' the Hogs from Mississippi
« Reply #10258 on: November 03, 2012, 12:37:38 pm »

Thanks for all the tips! Any guess on what range of rows are guests in section v&w?

popcornhog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #10259 on: November 05, 2012, 09:28:12 am »

We're getting into town around 8:00 Friday night. Is there gonna be a formal or informal hogville tailgate?

Does anyone have any good suggestions for tailgating, restaurants, bars, etc?

under_par

• Varsity
« Reply #10260 on: November 05, 2012, 11:36:04 am »

i have an extra ticket if you need one.  great seat (row 17 i think).

popcornhog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #10261 on: November 05, 2012, 11:51:14 am »

i have an extra ticket if you need one.  great seat (row 17 i think).

Thanks, I'll pm you if I can convince a 4th person to join us. Will you be there or would I need to get the ticket ahead of time?

Hoggin in NYC

• Hogvillian
  • Stay thirsty my friends. TDAOM!!!!
« Reply #10262 on: November 05, 2012, 12:31:14 pm »

heading down there myself and meeting some friends for the game.  Will be a nice distraction from NYC area situation. (crossing fingers airports stay open).

Any info on tailgating, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian

under_par

• Varsity
« Reply #10264 on: November 05, 2012, 08:00:16 pm »

popcorn - sent you a pm.  i am going and will be there on Friday afternoon.  i sent you my cell if you are interested sitting with 7 crazy fans.

mattbarber

• Band Nerd
  • 803-873-6759
« Reply #10265 on: November 05, 2012, 08:23:59 pm »

Ok here is all you need to know

For bars on Friday Night or Saturday night you need to go to The Vista if you are above the age of 25 or 5 Points if you are a college student or recent grad.  These are 2 different bar districts in Columbia that appeal to 2 different crowds.  All the bars you need in both nightlife districts.

On gameday there are really only 2 bars near the stadium.  One is Jaco's Corner.  Jaco's is the oldest bar in Columbia(100 years old this year).  It's an old mill bar that was founded by moonshiners who were friends with Jack Daniels.    The bar is a real hole in the wall, but has a great atmosphere and you'll meet some fantastic people in it.

The other Gameday Bar is Loose Cockaboose.  This bar has lots of TVs, live music, but has too many fights and crazies in it for my taste.  Jaco's isn't as fancy, but it's better IMO.

Plenty of tailgating around the stadium.  You have the Fairgrounds across the stadium and lots of local business lots you can park in.  For those who have been to USC in the past they have completely redone the Farmer's Market area and made it into a very pretty & large tailgate spot.    On the Olympia side of town you can park in many people's yards for $10.  Keep in mind the stadium is about 3 miles off campus. 

You can also park at the Colonial Life Arena(USC's basketball facility) and take a shuttle to the stadium.

If you are in South Carolina then you need to eat some SC BBQ, since the mustard style is unique.  Shealy's BBQ in Batesburg, SC is the most popular place, but its about a 40 minute drive from Columbia.  In town you should try Doc's BBQ or Little Pigs.   Maurice's isn't bad either. 

If you have any other questions please feel free to email me.  Dixiefriedsports@gmail.com.   

Everyone have a safe trip to Columbia and I look forward to seeing some Hog fans.

popcornhog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #10266 on: November 05, 2012, 10:36:11 pm »

popcorn - sent you a pm.  i am going and will be there on Friday afternoon.  i sent you my cell if you are interested sitting with 7 crazy fans.

Thanks, I'm coming with 3 others from Nashville. We may need one more ticket. I'll let you know.

popcornhog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #10267 on: November 05, 2012, 10:38:09 pm »

Thanks for the info!

For bars on Friday Night or Saturday night you need to go to The Vista if you are above the age of 25 or 5 Points if you are a college student or recent grad.  These are 2 different bar districts in Columbia that appeal to 2 different crowds.  All the bars you need in both nightlife districts.

On gameday there are really only 2 bars near the stadium.  One is Jaco's Corner.  Jaco's is the oldest bar in Columbia(100 years old this year).  It's an old mill bar that was founded by moonshiners who were friends with Jack Daniels.    The bar is a real hole in the wall, but has a great atmosphere and you'll meet some fantastic people in it.

The other Gameday Bar is Loose Cockaboose.  This bar has lots of TVs, live music, but has too many fights and crazies in it for my taste.  Jaco's isn't as fancy, but it's better IMO.

Plenty of tailgating around the stadium.  You have the Fairgrounds across the stadium and lots of local business lots you can park in.  For those who have been to USC in the past they have completely redone the Farmer's Market area and made it into a very pretty & large tailgate spot.    On the Olympia side of town you can park in many people's yards for $10.  Keep in mind the stadium is about 3 miles off campus. 

You can also park at the Colonial Life Arena(USC's basketball facility) and take a shuttle to the stadium.

If you are in South Carolina then you need to eat some SC BBQ, since the mustard style is unique.  Shealy's BBQ in Batesburg, SC is the most popular place, but its about a 40 minute drive from Columbia.  In town you should try Doc's BBQ or Little Pigs.   Maurice's isn't bad either. 

If you have any other questions please feel free to email me.  Dixiefriedsports@gmail.com.   

Everyone have a safe trip to Columbia and I look forward to seeing some Hog fans.

Beantown Razahback

• Hogvillian
  • Calling those Hogs from Northern New England
« Reply #10268 on: November 06, 2012, 12:03:34 am »

I'll be there with my best buddy, who's a USCe guy, and a bunch of his Carolina buddies. I'll be the guy in the Hogs hat.  :razorback:

WooP1gChris

• Varsity
« Reply #10269 on: November 06, 2012, 05:37:16 am »

I'll be there! It's my first hog game so I know nothing about tailgating!

Do we still do the hog call on kickoff at away games? It's been a lifelong dream to be a part of one.

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #10270 on: November 06, 2012, 05:52:32 am »

SpanHog

• Senior
  • OINK OINK we'll be pigs!
« Reply #10271 on: November 06, 2012, 05:56:40 am »

They say "Fatz" is a very good restaurant in town

mattbarber

• Band Nerd
  • 803-873-6759
« Reply #10272 on: November 06, 2012, 06:14:39 am »

They say "Fatz" is a very good restaurant in town

Fatz is a chain that is just like an Applebees.  Don't waste your time in it.

GAHOG

• Bench Warmer
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #10273 on: November 06, 2012, 05:17:41 pm »

It looks like I also have an extra ticket (row 32 in section 17). I've got two people going with me, but doesn't look like a 3rd will join. I'll be in Irmo, SC (just north of Columbia off 26) on Friday night, then parking at Colonial Life Arena around 9:30-10am on Saturday. PM me if interested in the ticket.

I attended the game in 2010 and really enjoyed my experience in Columbia. Looking forward to it again.

Devil_Dog

• Senior
  • "Got Dat Wood"
« Reply #10274 on: November 07, 2012, 09:54:24 pm »

Thinking about making the trip up there and just wondering what are some good hotels and places to eat there
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 08:54:30 pm by Devil_Dog »

deblaylock06

« Reply #10275 on: November 07, 2012, 10:19:29 pm »

I JUST posted a thread offering restaurant suggestions.  As far as hotels go...I'm not too sure.  Hampton Inn hotels are probably the best quality for the money.  Their rooms go for around 100 a night.  But it really depends on how much money you want to spend.

deblaylock06

« Reply #10276 on: November 07, 2012, 10:20:34 pm »

Thinking about making the trip up there and just wondering what are some good hotels and places to eat there

BTW...did you go to Morrilton HS?

Devil_Dog

• Senior
  • "Got Dat Wood"
« Reply #10277 on: November 07, 2012, 10:27:34 pm »

BTW...did you go to Morrilton HS?

I sure did

deblaylock06

« Reply #10278 on: November 07, 2012, 10:39:16 pm »

When did you graduate?  My dad went to High School and graduated from there?  We still go back to visit my grandma who lives in Atkins every winter.  What are you doing near South Carolina?

Did you find my thread about food places? oh and I just noticed you wrote Columbus in the header.  Did you mean Columbia?  I was assuming you meant Columbia since that's where the game will be played. 

Devil_Dog

• Senior
  • "Got Dat Wood"
« Reply #10279 on: November 07, 2012, 11:41:51 pm »

When did you graduate?  My dad went to High School and graduated from there?  We still go back to visit my grandma who lives in Atkins every winter.  What are you doing near South Carolina?

Did you find my thread about food places? oh and I just noticed you wrote Columbus in the header.  Did you mean Columbia?  I was assuming you meant Columbia since that's where the game will be played. 

Check your pm

Slimac4

• Varsity
« Reply #10280 on: November 07, 2012, 11:53:31 pm »

My family and I are making the trip over. We're having a fantastic sports weekend. Getting to see my sisters play for Ohio st bball team in the carrier classic and then the football game. It's my little bro's first away game so he's pretty stoked. Just hope the team comes to play for 4 quarters, I know that's a lot to ask these days.

hogfan064

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #10281 on: November 08, 2012, 06:11:06 am »

With it being so late everything downtown is probably booked.  Try the Irmo/Harbison area.   Anything on Harbison Blvd, Lake Murray Blvd, or Columbiana Avenue would be good. 

Stay away from the Two Notch Road area.

thirrdegreetusker

• All-American Hogvillian
looking for I-40 travel advice
« Reply #10282 on: November 08, 2012, 09:11:20 am »

Am going to a HS playoff game tomorrow in West Memphis. Someone told me I-40 has construction east of Little Rock, slowing traffic. Is the jam bad enough to look for detours? I will traveling in mid-late afternoon Friday. I appreciate any help.

racingpossum

• Varsity
Re: looking for I-40 travel advice
« Reply #10283 on: November 08, 2012, 09:16:01 am »

Take the Brinkley exit. Then turn south and go down and hit Hwy. 70 to west Memphis. Hwy. 70 runs parallel to I-40.

DEVIL DOG HOG

• Grandpa's hayride
« Reply #10284 on: November 08, 2012, 09:27:22 am »

I have gone through there with no problem.  I would leave home a little earlier than normal, there are slow downs and sight-seers. 

Jackrabbit Hog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Setting the edge since 1960
« Reply #10285 on: November 08, 2012, 09:29:29 am »

Take the Brinkley exit. Then turn south and go down and hit Hwy. 70 to west Memphis. Hwy. 70 runs parallel to I-40.

Incorrect.  If he's going toward West Memphis, you're detouring him AFTER the construction.  I live in Memphis and come to central Arkansas 2-3 times a month, so I drive it constantly.

On the way to West Memphis, if you detour, get off at Carlisle and get back on at either Biscoe (the first opportunity after you cross White River), or, if a cop is posted there and won't let you because they're working in that area, Brinkley.

On the way back home, off at Brinkley and back on at Hazen.  U.S. 70 does run parallel to I-40 so it's not that inconvenient except that it's 2-lane the whole way.

I've found that the back-ups on I-40 around White River tend to pop up later in the day for some reason.  In other words, if you're traveling early morning, chances are you won't have a delay so it may be worth staying on the interstate.

GolfNut57

« Reply #10286 on: November 08, 2012, 09:34:50 am »

He better exit I-40 long before he gets to the Brinkley exit. The road construction starts slowing down traffic about 40-45 miles east of Little Rock and is mainly centered around the DeValls Bluff area. If he waits until Brinkley to get off I-40 he is already pretty much past the construction area. I would suggest taking the Lonoke or Carlisle exits to find highway 70 and follow that to Brinkley and then get back on I-40 at that point.

Btw, if you do take highway 70 to go through DeValls Bluff, going east you will find a GREAT little joint called Craigs BarBQ there in Devalls Bluff on your right hand side. That place has been there forever and makes great BarBQ.

BENJAMINX

• Senior
« Reply #10287 on: November 08, 2012, 09:35:00 am »

Yea, i go from Little Rock to Helena a bunch, and i get off at the Hazen exit.

NaturalStateReb

• Czar of Arkansas
  • Administrator
« Reply #10288 on: November 08, 2012, 09:40:18 am »

Incorrect.  If he's going toward West Memphis, you're detouring him AFTER the construction.  I live in Memphis and come to central Arkansas 2-3 times a month, so I drive it constantly.

On the way to West Memphis, if you detour, get off at Carlisle and get back on at either Biscoe (the first opportunity after you cross White River), or, if a cop is posted there and won't let you because they're working in that area, Brinkley.

On the way back home, off at Brinkley and back on at Hazen.  U.S. 70 does run parallel to I-40 so it's not that inconvenient except that it's 2-lane the whole way.

I've found that the back-ups on I-40 around White River tend to pop up later in the day for some reason.  In other words, if you're traveling early morning, chances are you won't have a delay so it may be worth staying on the interstate.

^This.  Highly recommend.

HuntinHog

• Hogvillian
« Reply #10289 on: November 08, 2012, 09:42:20 am »

Bingo.

Don't look at this as a detour, look at it as an excuse for some good BBQ and fried pie.

Kicking Wing

• Senior
  • Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #10290 on: November 08, 2012, 09:42:51 am »

I agree with the Carlisle advice.  I live in that area and it is very unpredictable.  To be safe, get off at Carlisle and get back on in Brinkley.  Watch out for Ivory Billed Woodpeckers.

Hogmiser

• Senior
  • I Am Ready To Call Those Hogs!!
« Reply #10291 on: November 08, 2012, 10:04:18 am »

Am going to a HS playoff game tomorrow in West Memphis. Someone told me I-40 has construction east of Little Rock, slowing traffic. Is the jam bad enough to look for detours? I will traveling in mid-late afternoon Friday. I appreciate any help.
Rogers Heritage Fan Maybe?

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #10292 on: November 08, 2012, 10:05:13 am »

Just be careful on US 70 at Night it runs through the Woods and a State WMA and Bambi does play in the road from time to time.

hoggusamoungus

« Reply #10293 on: November 08, 2012, 10:13:14 am »

Heard there was a back-up on 70 last night and Hazen to Brinkley took well over an hour.

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #10294 on: November 08, 2012, 10:14:48 am »

Wreck according to my Momma.  If you got time stop at Craigs in DVB and get some grub for the Road.

toshortrock

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #10295 on: November 08, 2012, 10:25:37 am »

Get of Hazen exit,,and go on 70,,,get back on at brinkley,,u will b fine

josh_sec33

• Reeking of wanton jackwagonry and doing squat
« Reply #10296 on: November 08, 2012, 10:44:55 am »

What's the name of that BBQ place that won that international award? Can't remember it off the top of my head.

riccoar

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Serving Hogville since 11-08-03
« Reply #10297 on: November 08, 2012, 10:56:58 am »

If your not too terribly in a hurry you can get on Hwy 70 there in LR off of 440, Scott exit I think, and drive 70 to Brinkley.

BadHog

« Reply #10298 on: November 08, 2012, 10:59:51 am »

EXIT 193 (DeValls Bluff)for detour TO West Memphis is the exit you need to take for the detour. The road construction begins soon after this exit. You can check the traffic flow at this exit - if it is moving then STAY ON 40 East.

The detour is clearly marked - you take Hwy 70 and get back on 40E at Biscoe

I drive this every week. Friday afternoon is pretty heavy traffice.

thirrdegreetusker

« Reply #10299 on: November 08, 2012, 11:00:08 am »

Pages: 1 ... 203 204 205 [206] 207 208 209 ... 369   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas