• 385,555 Topics
• 21,600 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 ... 353 354 355 [356] 357 358 359 ... 369   Go Down

Author Topic: Road Trips: 3 Hots and a Cot  (Read 732178 times)

Jackrabbit Hog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Setting the edge since 1960
Re: Favorite Southern food? Biscuits to cobbler, 20 Southern foods can't live w/o
« Reply #17750 on: February 15, 2017, 12:18:23 pm »

Tough to beat cobbler, especially when it's done right. 

Cobblers, fried pies and grits.  Three things God blessed Southerners with that Yankees will just never understand or appreciate.

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
Re: Favorite Southern food? Biscuits to cobbler, 20 Southern foods can't live w/o
« Reply #17751 on: February 15, 2017, 02:14:41 pm »

Tough to beat cobbler, especially when it's done right. 

Cobblers, fried pies and grits.  Three things God blessed Southerners with that Yankees will just never understand or appreciate.

Amen along with Ham Biscuits , fruit Jam , and Fried foods.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

rzrbcksooie

• Varsity
SECT in Nashville
« Reply #17752 on: February 18, 2017, 04:13:11 pm »

Thinking about going to the tourney this year. Where is the best place to stay, best place to eat and best way to get around (trolley, walk, parking)?

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
Re: SECT in Nashville
« Reply #17753 on: February 18, 2017, 04:55:04 pm »

That all depends on what you want to spend and what you like to do when the games are over. Do you want to walk everywhere or are you willing to drive and park and save a little? Nashville is a great city. Lot's of hotels and restaurants downtown but some really nice places are in the suburbs.

rzrbcksooie

• Varsity
« Reply #17754 on: February 18, 2017, 05:40:43 pm »

Want to stay downtown and hoping to be able to walk to the arena. Do they have a trolley that's easy to use? How far of a walk is arena from good restaurants/entertainment?

sasnakrafan

• Senior
« Reply #17755 on: February 18, 2017, 06:37:25 pm »

Want to stay downtown and hoping to be able to walk to the arena. Do they have a trolley that's easy to use? How far of a walk is arena from good restaurants/entertainment?

I'm don't think there's a trolley system, but the entertainment is mostly on Broadway and the arena is on Broadway about a 1/4 mile walk to everything. Restaurants are on Broadway, second street??,printers alley and near the Vandy campus which is about 2-2.5 miles from downtown. You are within a 2-10 minute uber ride from everything. I highly recommend Hattie B's for some amazing Nashville Hot Chicken and Desano's Pizza_ bring your own bottle of wine(rated top 10 pizza places in US). PM me if u got any other questions, I've been there atleast 10x and it's a great southern city.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 03:46:36 pm by sasnakrafan »

rzrbcksooie

• Varsity
« Reply #17756 on: February 18, 2017, 08:33:17 pm »

Great - thank you

rmcchris

• Senior
« Reply #17757 on: February 18, 2017, 09:11:16 pm »

Hey I live here. Life time hog fan and alum. Pm. Me and I will provide you a lot of info and options. Go Hogs.

Woopig69

« Reply #17758 on: February 18, 2017, 09:13:06 pm »

Have dinner at the Palm.

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
Nashville
« Reply #17759 on: February 22, 2017, 07:07:30 am »

Tyler Thompson ‏@MrsTylerKSR

Coming to #Nashville for the SEC Tournament? My annual guide on where to eat and drink:
http://kentuckysportsradio.com/main/ksrs-2016-guide-to-eating-and-drinking-in-nashville

[Click to enlarge]

Laura Rillos Verified account
‏@LauraRillos

I'm heading to #Nashville soon. Have you been? What restaurants and coffee shops should we hit?

Stacey Barchenger ‏@sbarchenger 17h17 hours ago

On it, @EMentzer! @LauraRillos Coffee: Fido; Frothy Monkey; and Red Bicycle. If you're ok with a wait and attitude, Barista Parlor.

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
2017 SEC WBB Tournament in Greenville
« Reply #17760 on: February 23, 2017, 01:05:44 pm »

https://twitter.com/SEC_Tammy/status/834799930501898242

Southeastern Conference Women’s Basketball Championship takes place March 1-5.

The NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament arrives on March 17 and 19.

For the evening and weekend games, parking should be readily available downtown and in the large city parking garage next to the Bon Secours Wellness Arena. The arena also is surrounded by several private parking lots.

On weekdays during the day, parking will be a challenge downtown, so the city and the arena have arranged for extra parking space in the expansive lot at Redemption Church on Haywood Road. Several shuttle buses, accommodating 56 passengers each, will transport basketball fans to and from the Redemption parking lot.

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian

rzrbcksooie

• Varsity
SECT in Nashville
« Reply #17762 on: March 05, 2017, 11:37:04 pm »

Best places to eat in Nashville?  Things to do during the day? Best restaurants?

Any info on best way to get tickets for Friday night (scalp, ticket office)?

tannerstahl

• Varsity
  • Jesus loves you
« Reply #17763 on: March 06, 2017, 07:09:32 am »

When I was in college I worked as valet st the Sheraton hotel downtown, and one year Tennessee and auburn's bball teams stayed in our hotel along with tons of their fans ...this was during the Bruce pearl era...I remember meeting Dane bradshaw's father...they looked exactly alike and he was a very nice guy

Point is that when those teams lost, their fans were literally throwing their remaining ticket books away or giving them away ...after Tennessee lost in their first game I was given 5 ticket books lol I was able to go with some friends to watch the hogs lose to Florida ..so hang out around losing teams fans lol

I haven't lived in Nashville since 2011 so I'm not sure what all has changed downtown, but my favorites were demos steakhouse, wild horse saloon was fun if you like country music and line dancing, jacks BBQ ...and you've got your normal Hard Rock Cafe, joes crab shark, bb kings ...and these are all within walking distance of Bridgestone

hog20

• Varsity
  • Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #17764 on: March 06, 2017, 02:45:32 pm »

My son lives there and we have been going about every 2 months.  Lots of good places to eat in 12 South area.  Bar taco, Frothy Monkey, Burger Up.  And believe it or not, most of the bars/music venues on Broadway have pretty good food.  You should try Loveless Cafe one time too.  They serve Bkfast, lunch and dinner.  Good
southern type food. Also Biscuit Love for bkfast/lunch is good it is on/near 11th.  Sperry's in Belle Mead is good for steak/seafood.

hog20

• Varsity
  • Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #17765 on: March 06, 2017, 02:49:18 pm »

Oh and things to do during the day, lots of places around Broadway.  Johnny Cash museum, Country Music Hall of Fame, Grand Ole Opry/Ryman. The best mall to me is Opry Mills. 

Biggus Piggus

• Escaped Journalist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville: The mosh pit of Razorbackland
« Reply #17766 on: March 06, 2017, 03:24:39 pm »

I like grilled oysters with a Dixie Beer at the Southern.

MountieDawg

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #17767 on: March 06, 2017, 03:33:48 pm »

If you don't have Hattie B's Chicken you should not have went to Nashville...  The cool thing about Nashville is there is live music usually all day on Music Row.  Go down to the GooGoo store in Music Row and try a fresh made GOO GOO Cluster.... Its amazing fresh!!!  Go to Puckets Grocery and Restaurant for an Amazing Breakfast! 

You may also want to try the pulled turkey sandwich at HOG HEAVEN!!!!

Birminghog

• Ludwig calls the Hogs at Hogville.net
« Reply #17768 on: March 06, 2017, 11:09:25 pm »

I was in Nashville a couple of weeks ago and our hosts took us to Sutler's Saloon for lunch. Good food, nice people, good service. I got the catfish tacos and liked them very well. A couple of others got really good looking salads. My buddy got a burger and a massive amount of fries.

Biggus Piggus

• Escaped Journalist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #17769 on: March 07, 2017, 11:22:25 am »

If you don't have Hattie B's Chicken you should not have went to Nashville...  The cool thing about Nashville is there is live music usually all day on Music Row.  Go down to the GooGoo store in Music Row and try a fresh made GOO GOO Cluster.... Its amazing fresh!!!  Go to Puckets Grocery and Restaurant for an Amazing Breakfast! 

If you don't like super-spicy food, you will want to avoid hot chicken.

If you don't like rough neighborhoods, you will want to avoid Hattie B's.

hawgwash

« Reply #17770 on: March 07, 2017, 07:40:05 pm »

My son lives there and we have been going about every 2 months.  Lots of good places to eat in 12 South area.  Bar taco, Frothy Monkey, Burger Up.  And believe it or not, most of the bars/music venues on Broadway have pretty good food.  You should try Loveless Cafe one time too.  They serve Bkfast, lunch and dinner.  Good
southern type food. Also Biscuit Love for bkfast/lunch is good it is on/near 11th.  Sperry's in Belle Mead is good for steak/seafood.
I second Loveless Motel.  Great fried chicken, vegetables, biscuits, homemade preserves. 

• Bench Warmer
  • The Bill to your Hillary
« Reply #17771 on: March 07, 2017, 09:57:33 pm »

You can get into any session that doesn't include Kentucky for a pretty good deal. Kentucky fans use all of their vacation days to follow the Wildcats during bball season. If they get upset you can get tickets for next to nothing, but as long as they are in get ready to pay a premium. The UK mob without tickets will be there just to party. If they are upset, ill probably make the drive from Memphis.

hawgmasta

• Hogvillian
  • I have to return some videotapes.
« Reply #17772 on: March 07, 2017, 10:15:13 pm »

And Prince's. Dangerous area but I'd walk there at 3am for that chicken.

tusked

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Clapton is god....but SRV was the big bang!
« Reply #17773 on: March 07, 2017, 10:20:41 pm »

Why is the Johnny Cash museum in Nashville?

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #17774 on: March 08, 2017, 08:21:55 am »

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I need help with my footwork, too.
« Reply #17775 on: March 08, 2017, 09:13:53 am »

You're confusing Hattie B's with the original Prince's, unless you consider Charlotte Ave. rough.  Hattie B's at 19th and Broadway is near downtown amd Music Row. But don't go unless you don't mind long lines.

All of the hot chicken restaurants have regular fried chicken. Prince's is the original and the best. Hattie B's is a close second.  The new Prince's at Old Hickory and Nolensville Road is big, nice, and has a bunch of big screens for sports. If you want the real thing there, get XX Hot. At Hattie B's it's Damn Hot. Keep your hands away from your eyes (seriously), and count on "late night hot chicken" (if you've had you'll know), but enjoy the buzz.  There is truly nothing like real Nashville hot chicken. It is absolutely fantastic.

In general, Nashville has become a culinary city. There are incredible restaurants in Germantown, East Nashville and The Gulch.  One of my favorites is Fifth &Taylor.  Try the quail appetizer.  Rose Pepper has the best margarita's anywhere. They're like women's breasts - one's not enough and three's too many. 

And tickets will likely be laying on the sidewalks before our first game.  Just be prepared to fight Kentucky fans for them. I usually pay about $20 for good seats.

Hog lite

• Varsity
« Reply #17776 on: March 08, 2017, 09:16:41 am »

BBQ- Edley's on 12 south ,Peg Leg Porker, Martins
Steak-Jeff Ruby's, Kayne Prime, The Southern, Morton's, Or the best Filet is at Prima
Fancy Smancy- Etch, Little Octopus, Prima
Italian-MOTO, Maggiano's
Sushi-Virago,  Nama's
Pizza-DeSano's
Late Night Honky Tonks and after game celebrations - Lower Broadway
Late Night not Honky Tonks= Skull's Rainbow Room or Midtown Bars (Winner's, Loser's)
Fun Places to watch on TV= Bar Lines in the OMNI , Lower Broadway during the Day.

Biggus Piggus

• Escaped Journalist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #17777 on: March 08, 2017, 11:27:14 am »

You're confusing Hattie B's with the original Prince's, unless you consider Charlotte Ave. rough.  Hattie B's at 19th and Broadway is near downtown amd Music Row. But don't go unless you don't mind long lines.

All of the hot chicken restaurants have regular fried chicken. Prince's is the original and the best. Hattie B's is a close second.  The new Prince's at Old Hickory and Nolensville Road is big, nice, and has a bunch of big screens for sports. If you want the real thing there, get XX Hot. At Hattie B's it's Damn Hot. Keep your hands away from your eyes (seriously), and count on "late night hot chicken" (if you've had you'll know), but enjoy the buzz.  There is truly nothing like real Nashville hot chicken. It is absolutely fantastic.

In general, Nashville has become a culinary city. There are incredible restaurants in Germantown, East Nashville and The Gulch.  One of my favorites is Fifth &Taylor.  Try the quail appetizer.  Rose Pepper has the best margarita's anywhere. They're like women's breasts - one's not enough and three's too many. 

And tickets will likely be laying on the sidewalks before our first game.  Just be prepared to fight Kentucky fans for them. I usually pay about $20 for good seats.

Three breasts are too many? I'd never turn down another breast.

You're right, it was Prince's we went to. The one. I'll have to try the new location, not that Nolensville Road is classy or anything. The warning stands, though - if you cannot handle hot and spicy, don't even try Nashville hot chicken, because it's wonderfully, painfully hot.

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #17778 on: March 09, 2017, 02:41:56 pm »

MountieDawg

« Reply #17779 on: March 09, 2017, 03:31:06 pm »

You can have it delievered to your hotel room to... There are a couple delivery service that deliver Hattie B's... I definitely would stay away from there SHUT THE CLUCK UP  flavor!!!

navyhog24

« Reply #17780 on: March 09, 2017, 03:35:12 pm »

Watching MSU and Alabama, how the heck did we lose to MSU again? MSU is playing horrible right now

Jackrabbit Hog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #17781 on: March 09, 2017, 03:40:08 pm »

Watching MSU and Alabama, how the heck did we lose to MSU again? MSU is playing horrible right now

Seems to be a recurring theme among all the early round games so far.  Pretty bad basketball on display.

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #17782 on: March 10, 2017, 09:00:52 am »

Went to an awesome rooftop bar last night at the new Westin.  Best view I've seen of Nashville from 27th floor. Drinks were good and food was better. Lobster rolls were first class. Y'all should try it.

Jackrabbit Hog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #17783 on: March 10, 2017, 09:02:24 am »

Went to an awesome rooftop bar last night at the new Westin.  Best view I've seen of Nashville from 27th floor. Drinks were good and food was better. Lobster rolls were first class. Y'all should try it.

If you took some with you, I'll PM my address and you can overnight the leftovers to me.

Or if we lose tonight you can drop it off at my place on your way back home tomorrow. 

Poker_hog

« Reply #17784 on: March 10, 2017, 10:15:21 am »

You can get into any session that doesn't include Kentucky for a pretty good deal. Kentucky fans use all of their vacation days to follow the Wildcats during bball season. If they get upset you can get tickets for next to nothing, but as long as they are in get ready to pay a premium. The UK mob without tickets will be there just to party. If they are upset, ill probably make the drive from Memphis.

This.  I'm taking the family to the game tonight but probably won't cough up the money for the game Saturday.  They really should break up the Saturday session into 2.  I really can't see paying $100/ticket for nose bleed seats.

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #17785 on: March 10, 2017, 02:51:20 pm »

This.  I'm taking the family to the game tonight but probably won't cough up the money for the game Saturday.  They really should break up the Saturday session into 2.  I really can't see paying $100/ticket for nose bleed seats.

Just picked up two lower bowl seats for $50 each. $85 face value. Section 118 Row M.

Poker_hog

« Reply #17786 on: March 10, 2017, 04:48:34 pm »

Just picked up two lower bowl seats for $50 each. $85 face value. Section 118 Row M.

Cheapest I'm seeing on ticket services for tomorrow is $86 (>$100 with fees) for upper level. 

NuttinItUp

• Gold Hogvillian
    • Bring Back Slobbering Hog
Greenville, SC
« Reply #17787 on: March 12, 2017, 05:15:50 pm »

Who is going to go to Greenville, SC to see the Hogs?

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/tournament/bracket

Friday at 12:30 p.m. CST (1:30 EST) on TNT.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 07:43:34 pm by NuttinItUp »

Rock City Razorback

• Senior
  • Gotta love that helmet!
Re: Who is going to Greenville, SC to see the Hogs play?
« Reply #17788 on: March 12, 2017, 05:16:11 pm »

Too far. Would have gone if it were Tulsa.

NuttinItUp

• Gold Hogvillian
Re: Who is going to Greenville, SC for 1st/2nd round?
« Reply #17789 on: March 12, 2017, 05:17:58 pm »

If we make it to the Sweet 16, it is close (in Memphis).

Of course, that likely means beating UNC.

hobhog

• Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #17790 on: March 12, 2017, 05:19:05 pm »

Baby blue will dominate crowd just like KY did Nashville. Sucks.

fullfan

• Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #17791 on: March 12, 2017, 05:31:18 pm »

8 seed Miami travels to Tulsa and 8 seed Hogs go to South Carolina?  Committee can't read a map?

8 seed Wisconsin has to go all the way to Buffalo, NY.

Hmmm....

NuttinItUp

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #17792 on: March 12, 2017, 05:57:16 pm »

8 seed Miami travels to Tulsa and 8 seed Hogs go to South Carolina?  Committee can't read a map?

Hmmm....

Kinda weird.

Oh well, life goes on.

Surely there are a few Hog fans near South Carolina...

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #17793 on: March 12, 2017, 06:01:12 pm »

Hmmm....

Couple of reasons:
Miami couldn't be matched with UNC.  KU as a 1 wasn't going to have to face Hog fans.   

Obligations or would go.  Hogs Duke Carolina.  Great field there.   

Arazorbackguy1

• Alive!
« Reply #17794 on: March 12, 2017, 06:04:59 pm »

I'll be there!  only 2 hours from the ATL!

Anyone know what session I should buy? 

alaback

« Reply #17795 on: March 12, 2017, 06:09:33 pm »

Probably won't know game times until tomorrow.

3kgthog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Don't PM me. I never read them.
« Reply #17796 on: March 12, 2017, 06:09:39 pm »

Why would the committee reward two 8 seeds?

If we had been sent to Tulsa, I'd be there. I've got too much going on to be far away in SC. Enjoy, jet setters!

NuttinItUp

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #17797 on: March 12, 2017, 06:22:21 pm »

Buy both first round sessions and the only second round session just to be sure.

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
Greenville, SC NCAA Tourney Host Info
« Reply #17798 on: March 12, 2017, 07:28:02 pm »

NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament arrives on March 17 and 19

For the evening and weekend games, parking should be readily available downtown and in the large city parking garage next to the Bon Secours Wellness Arena. The arena also is surrounded by several private parking lots.

Meanwhile, on weekends and weekday evenings, the fare-free downtown trolleys operated by Greenlink will take sports fans to and from the BSW Arena with stops at hotels and parking garages on Main Street and along other primary downtown arteries.

The fare-free downtown trolley schedule for the NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Tournament is:

• Friday, March 17: 6-11 p.m.

• Sunday, March 19: 1- 8 p.m.

For more information about downtown trolley service, call 864-467-5001.

NuttinItUp

• Gold Hogvillian
Re: Greenville, SC
« Reply #17799 on: March 12, 2017, 07:39:28 pm »

Hope we have a few fans there.
Pages: 1 ... 353 354 355 [356] 357 358 359 ... 369   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas