• 378,898 Topics
• 21,053 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 ... 353 354 355 [356] 357   Go Down

Author Topic: Road Trips: 3 Hots and a Cot  (Read 677957 times)

HognitiveDissonance

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: Who has made the trip to Baton Rouge?
« Reply #17750 on: May 24, 2017, 10:50:44 am »

I think most would agree there are terrible incidents and obnoxious behavior everywhere in the SEC. Arkansas has their share too. (remember when the kids completely flipped over a car from Texas after the 42-11 upset in 1981?). And I've read the same kinds of comments from opposing fans on their sites talking about their visit to Arkansas. You'll hear a few tales of 'mistreatment'.

But, by and large, when you consider the overall fan experience in its totality.....LSU and Florida fans probably rank up there in the 'worst' category. You're more likely to have a bad experience there than at some other places.

From my perspective, it seems Arkansas ranks towards the 'nicer' end of that spectrum. I really do think that the average Arkansas fan is a little nicer than the average fan at many places. It's kinda like Nebraska. Neb fans have a nice reputation too.

OptimusHog

• Hogvillian
  • Crossing my fingers
« Reply #17751 on: May 24, 2017, 11:08:43 am »

One of the most memorable Road games I've been to. So much good food AND you can open carry....your booze.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Woo Pig Sooie, brotha!
« Reply #17752 on: May 24, 2017, 11:37:11 am »

Why would I want to go to an away game and not wear my Hog gear?
So people don't screw with you. You do you man, the original post was worried about conflict and I gave a way to avoid it.

BRHogfan

• Senior
« Reply #17753 on: May 24, 2017, 01:11:03 pm »

A friend of mine was in the Bama band when an empty whiskey bottle hit the bell of his trumpet while he was playing, knocking the solid brass mouthpiece into his mouth. You truly have to be a coward to do something like that.

I saw a University of Arkansas Usher take a whiskey bottle to the head one time at Razorback Stadium when we lost to Vanderbilt in 2005.  I still go to Arkansas games. 

urkillnmesmalls

• Experience: You get it just after you needed it!
« Reply #17754 on: May 24, 2017, 02:47:27 pm »

Been to Baton Rouge, and also to see them play Notre Dame in the Superdome.  Won't go back.  I hear all the "great tailgating" stories, how people met some great fans, and I don't doubt that for a second.  But...it's luck of the draw.  You may get in with some good ones that sort of serve as a "buffer," but if you don't...it's relentless, and they take it WAYYYY too far. 

For those who are saying they just ignore the "tiger bait" chants, that's fine.  Not a problem.  BUT...when you start getting beer thrown at you, and you witness them SPITTING at the women you're with and laughing about it, and you have to sit there and take it knowing any fight is going to be you against the stadium, then report back on how quickly you want to go back. 

Take the worst Hog fans you've seen..the ones that embarrassed you at games, and multiply that by about 10, and that's what you have.  Lewd, crass, and low class.  NOT all of them, but enough that I have no interest in tolerating that again. 

ricepig

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #17755 on: May 24, 2017, 02:59:49 pm »

I saw a University of Arkansas Usher take a whiskey bottle to the head one time at Razorback Stadium when we lost to Vanderbilt in 2005.  I still go to Arkansas games. 

They were probably aiming for Hootie...

Hogs-n-Roses

• Coming to a Stadium Near You!
« Reply #17756 on: May 24, 2017, 03:34:07 pm »

If you get preferred hog tickets that are in the south endzone towards the east corner, beware. There is a part of their stadium that sticks out over you. I will never sit there again. Use your imagination. Beer, spit, popcorn,jumbalai....will be thrown down on you. These tickets are right next to the Hog parents.

Hogwild

« Reply #17757 on: May 24, 2017, 03:53:51 pm »

If you get preferred hog tickets that are in the south endzone towards the east corner, beware. There is a part of their stadium that sticks out over you. I will never sit there again. Use your imagination. Beer, spit, popcorn,jumbalai....will be thrown down on you. These tickets are right next to the Hog parents.

that part's gone, turned it into suites and scoreboard, they moved the visitors section over more toward the East sideline and up, I get my tickets through family members in New Orleans, so I'm on the West side facing the visitor's section, but far from their student section.

Hogs-n-Roses

• Coming to a Stadium Near You!
« Reply #17758 on: May 24, 2017, 04:17:13 pm »

that part's gone, turned it into suites and scoreboard, they moved the visitors section over more toward the East sideline and up, I get my tickets through family members in New Orleans, so I'm on the West side facing the visitor's section, but far from their student section.

Excellent.Last time I was in there. Not that many years ago. There was some homecookin going on. Some one on Hogville has the pic as their avatar. LSU guy was clearly down in bounds and ref made the call that he had reached out wit the ball to the sideline. Anyway it stopped the clock and enabled them to kick a field goal n tie the game. When they stopped the clock,we were showered with a variety of liquid and solid objects,popcorn,hotdogs, cups.....

I sat with the parents when Dmac and crew popped their bubble and we watched the same thing happening that day. We were a little to far away to get hit though that time.

PorkRinds

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #17759 on: May 24, 2017, 04:32:17 pm »

Been to Baton Rouge, and also to see them play Notre Dame in the Superdome.  Won't go back.  I hear all the "great tailgating" stories, how people met some great fans, and I don't doubt that for a second.  But...it's luck of the draw.  You may get in with some good ones that sort of serve as a "buffer," but if you don't...it's relentless, and they take it WAYYYY too far. 

For those who are saying they just ignore the "tiger bait" chants, that's fine.  Not a problem.  BUT...when you start getting beer thrown at you, and you witness them SPITTING at the women you're with and laughing about it, and you have to sit there and take it knowing any fight is going to be you against the stadium, then report back on how quickly you want to go back. 

Take the worst Hog fans you've seen..the ones that embarrassed you at games, and multiply that by about 10, and that's what you have.  Lewd, crass, and low class.  NOT all of them, but enough that I have no interest in tolerating that again.

Exactly.

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
One reviewer's Top 50 BBQ Joints in Texas
« Reply #17760 on: May 25, 2017, 06:01:42 pm »

Bryan
Fargo’s Pit BBQ

Opened: 2000
Pitmaster: Alan Caldwell, 53
Method: Oak (and another unspecified wood); indirect-heat pit
Pro tip: Go Wednesday for beef ribs.

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #17761 on: May 26, 2017, 11:42:15 am »

I would only go if I wore the HS colors where I work which is Purple and Gold.

PorkRinds

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #17762 on: May 27, 2017, 10:39:50 am »

So you'd dress up like an LSU fan? I'll pass.

Three and Snout

• Varsity
« Reply #17763 on: May 27, 2017, 12:02:52 pm »

Yeah, you should probably only cheer for LSU too, so no one knows you are a Razorback fan.   ::)

runninhog

• Senior
  • Vi et animo
« Reply #17764 on: May 27, 2017, 12:44:08 pm »

Concur with others on what a horrible place it can be. I've been with friends that were LSU folks and didn't have a problem, but I witnessed enough bad behavior directed toward others. Their fans are mostly low rent trash.
And the city is a real shithole. Traffic is awful every day, and it's ugly. I don't see how people live there.

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #17765 on: May 27, 2017, 01:24:05 pm »

Concur with others on what a horrible place it can be. I've been with friends that were LSU folks and didn't have a problem, but I witnessed enough bad behavior directed toward others. Their fans are mostly low rent trash.
And the city is a real shithole. Traffic is awful every day, and it's ugly. I don't see how people live there.
Yea, I'm not a fan of the state of Louisiana as a whole.
You've heard the phrase 'the place is a backwater...', meaning a backwards, slow-moving place full of suspect people.
Well, Louisiana is some of that, but it's a LITERAL backwater.
Guess I'm not a huge fan of the swamp.
New Orleans is a cool place, though, with the history and unique culture.
The rest of the state, not so much.
Not a huge fan of Texas, either.

Guess I prefer places with hills, trees, creeks, mountains, etc. Arkansas, North Carolina, Colorado, California, etc. Alabama and South Carolina are nice states, in SEC country. Those states have a nice mixture of mountains, plains, and even some oceans mixed in.

ImHogginIt

« Reply #17766 on: May 27, 2017, 03:46:39 pm »

Yea, I'm not a fan of the state of Louisiana as a whole.
You've heard the phrase 'the place is a backwater...', meaning a backwards, slow-moving place full of suspect people.
Well, Louisiana is some of that, but it's a LITERAL backwater.
Guess I'm not a huge fan of the swamp.
New Orleans is a cool place, though, with the history and unique culture.
The rest of the state, not so much.
Not a huge fan of Texas, either.

Guess I prefer places with hills, trees, creeks, mountains, etc. Arkansas, North Carolina, Colorado, California, etc. Alabama and South Carolina are nice states, in SEC country. Those states have a nice mixture of mountains, plains, and even some oceans mixed in.

Our Texas Hill Country is gorgeous.

runninhog

• Senior
  • Vi et animo
« Reply #17767 on: May 27, 2017, 06:33:49 pm »

Big Bend is as well.

panhandlepig

• don't worry about a thing
« Reply #17768 on: May 27, 2017, 06:34:59 pm »

All I know is I can drive 4 hours and watch my team play football. I'm not going to allow the behavior of the opposing teams fans  to prevent me from going.  I've not had a problem of any significance that makes me so scared I stay home. I go and wear red and cheer my team.

I was there 2 years ago when we ran them out of the stadium by the 4th quarter. I'll go this year and hope for the same. If we lose I'll hear the insults and grin and bear it. Not to sound a little holier than thou, but sounds like a bunch of wimps in here. Are y'all Razorbacks fans or not? Support your team for God's sake. Go Hogs.

Großer Kriegschwein

• TF Mountain Warrior '09-'10
« Reply #17769 on: May 29, 2017, 07:15:24 am »

I live in west central Louisiana. I've been left at tables without a waitress ever taking my order while wearing my McFadden jersey, clowns driving by my house and laying on the horn late at night after a game (I have a wooden Razorback on my porch), and even had a moron in line at walmart drop about 15 f-bombs in front of my wife and toddlers after the 17-0 whoopin (the manager and police were called to that one).

Bunch of rednecks and have no desire to go to where a 100k of them can get together.

cram224

• Varsity
« Reply #17770 on: May 29, 2017, 08:13:13 am »

No problems for me. Must SEC schools are rough on visitors. I can't stand it when we worry about how nice we treat opposing fans. Just by reading the above posts, LSU is already winning the game by making fans afraid to attend if they don't cheer for the home team. The funny part, they are a creative fan base and somethings they say and do things that will give you a good laugh when you get back home.

jkstock04

« Reply #17771 on: May 29, 2017, 09:25:52 am »

All I know is I can drive 4 hours and watch my team play football. I'm not going to allow the behavior of the opposing teams fans  to prevent me from going.  I've not had a problem of any significance that makes me so scared I stay home. I go and wear red and cheer my team.

I was there 2 years ago when we ran them out of the stadium by the 4th quarter. I'll go this year and hope for the same. If we lose I'll hear the insults and grin and bear it. Not to sound a little holier than thou, but sounds like a bunch of wimps in here. Are y'all Razorbacks fans or not? Support your team for God's sake. Go Hogs.
When you get a loudspeaker literally to the face while walking out shouting insults and curses never to come back, with 100's of onlookers laughing merrily about it...let us know how awesome of an experience it is.

Ive got a short temper when it comes to things like this, but also it's important to know your surroundings. It's like someone else said above, if you retaliate in any way you know 100% whose side the law will be on. It's just not worth it to go to that hellhole. And that's what Baton Rogue is....an ugly hellhole.

I've been to a few other venues and everything was great. But LSU is a place that should be discouraged to travel to.

JHicks3636

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Razorback forever
Driving in LSU country
« Reply #17772 on: May 29, 2017, 10:39:25 pm »

Stolen from a Facebook friend and in keeping with my intended insult of LSU in the last pbp I did where I referred to LSU as the "team forced to live in Baton Rouge".

Rules for driving in Baton Rouge

1. First you must learn to pronounce the city name. It is Batt'n Roodge.

2. Forget the traffic rules you learned elsewhere. Baton Rouge has its own version of traffic rules... Hold on.....and pray.

3. All directions start with, "Get on I-10"...which has no beginning and no end.

4. The Chamber of Commerce calls getting through traffic a "scenic drive."

5. The morning rush hour is from 6:00 to 10:00. The evening rush hour is from 3:00 to 7:00. Friday's rush hour starts Thursday morning.

6. If you actually stop at a yellow light, you will get rear-ended.

7. Hoo Shoo Too Road can only be pronounced by a native.

8. Construction on I-12 is a way of life, and a permanent form of entertainment.

9. All unfamiliar sights are explained by the phrase, "Oh, we are in Denham Springs!"

10. If you actually see someone with their turn signal on, it is probably a factory defect.

11. All old ladies with blue hair in Cadillacs have the right of way.

12. Lots of streets mysteriously change names as you cross intersections.

13. Horns are used before brakes or blinkers

14. A trip across town will take a minimum of an hour.

15. Must do::: clover leaf at airline and Florida and airline and 1-12

16. The wrought iron on windows downtown isn't ornamental.

17. If you leave one car length for every 10 MPH speed between you and the car in front of you, somebody will cut in.

18. Never stare at the driver of the car with the bumper sticker that says, "Keep honking. I'm reloading."

19. For directions sake, you must know the difference between the "New" bridge & the "Old" bridge as also you should know the difference between the "New" mall and the "Old" mall.

20. Baton Rouge is the Only city in the USA with exits on the left side of an Interstate with an entrance in the same lane.

And finally,
21. Anyone trying to get within 5 miles of the LSU campus on the day of an LSU Football game either does not live in Baton Rouge or has lost his mind

GirlHog

• Senior
Re: Driving in LSU country
« Reply #17773 on: May 30, 2017, 08:10:46 am »

This is pretty much all true! I only go through BR once per year on the way to New Orleans, but once is more than enough! It will drive your nerves!

ThisTeetsTaken

• He is not here, for He has risen, just as He said
« Reply #17774 on: May 30, 2017, 09:31:50 am »

Once took a wrong exit in Red Stick and ended up in the hood.  This country boy has never seen anything like that before or since.  Same thing happened to me once in Birmingham AL but they couldn't hold the Baton Rouge hood's tire iron.

Knot2brite

• Hogville.net
« Reply #17775 on: May 30, 2017, 10:20:51 am »

I stayed in BR Friday night on my way to the redneck riviera and I scare....the hotel my wife found for us to stay in was....uhhhhh....ever see how they use bait to trap killer tigers? Yeah we were like a tied up goat...luckily this goat is a well armed goat...got out of there as fast as we could...

311Hog

« Reply #17776 on: May 30, 2017, 10:54:16 am »

this post is 10000% true.  The entire state is from another planet, but BR is a special special place within the whole.

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #17777 on: May 30, 2017, 12:10:54 pm »

Yes, it is. If I lived in Texas, that's where I would want to be: Austin, San Antonio, etc.

And I know Texas is huge and the western part of the state is actually mountainous. I believe the tallest peak Mt Davis goes to over 7000 feet.

However, when people think of Texas they normally think first of Dallas...north Texas. Flat, non-descript landscape. Or Houston...flat megopolis with humidity out the wazoo.

reptilehog

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #17778 on: May 30, 2017, 05:28:42 pm »

Houma isn't too bad but Baton Rouge is a dump at best.  100% agree.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 07:20:00 pm by reptilehog »

WizardofhOgZ

HogBreath

Re: ESPN's version of the "Ultimate SEC September Road Trip"
« Reply #17780 on: June 19, 2017, 09:29:26 pm »

I must have missed out on Michigan ascending to the top of the mountain,  didn't know they were all that.  What exactly have they won recently?

Wildhog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #17781 on: June 19, 2017, 09:38:34 pm »

I must have missed out on Michigan ascending to the top of the mountain,  didn't know they were all that.  What exactly have they won recently?

20 wins in two years and an Orange Bowl appearance?

After his second year.

Arkansas Fan

« Reply #17782 on: June 19, 2017, 10:39:43 pm »

After his second year.

You a Michigan fan?

Wildhog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #17783 on: June 19, 2017, 10:58:55 pm »

factchecker

• RAZORBACKS OR NOTHING!
« Reply #17784 on: June 19, 2017, 11:36:58 pm »

After his second year.

I don't like Meechegan or Harbaugh (partly due to them bailing out) but I agree that Harbaugh has had a ton of success there.

rljjr

« Reply #17785 on: June 20, 2017, 06:30:13 am »

Michigan is ducking Arkansas for a sure win against ND. It's a good move for them, of course.
Side issue: I think Michigan, as much as I don't like them, is going to boat race Florida something like 45-14. I see at least 5 losses, and 6 if they don't get out of September with only 1 loss.

RyanMallettsEgo

• Hogvillian
  • What a shame...that a few bad apples...
« Reply #17786 on: June 20, 2017, 08:49:00 am »

You a Michigan fan?

No, why?

Because by providing a factual and objective statement, you're clearly a fan Michigan. Isn't that how it works?

Thank God we have definitive proof that Arkansas Fan is an Arkansas fan.

Arkansas Fan

« Reply #17787 on: June 20, 2017, 12:28:34 pm »

Michigan is ducking Arkansas for a sure win against ND. It's a good move for them, of course.
Side issue: I think Michigan, as much as I don't like them, is going to boat race Florida something like 45-14. I see at least 5 losses, and 6 if they don't get out of September with only 1 loss.

I also think Michigan will kill Florida.

The Kig

• Hogvillian
  • Hogville Heroes
« Reply #17788 on: June 20, 2017, 06:50:54 pm »

Because by providing a factual and objective statement, you're clearly a fan Michigan. Isn't that how it works?

Thank God we have definitive proof that Arkansas Fan is an Arkansas fan.

Do we have definitive proof? Pretty sure he missed at least one, if not both, of your criteria in the prior sentence.   Simply having the words in your name doesn't do it.  For example, while I don't always agree with everything you say, I don't automatically think to myself, "dang, he really does have Ryan Mallett's ego". 

RyanMallettsEgo

• Hogvillian
« Reply #17789 on: June 20, 2017, 09:16:52 pm »

Do we have definitive proof? Pretty sure he missed at least one, if not both, of your criteria in the prior sentence.   Simply having the words in your name doesn't do it.  For example, while I don't always agree with everything you say, I don't automatically think to myself, "dang, he really does have Ryan Mallett's ego".

I'll include the "/s" at the end of my post next time.

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
Reggie's bar in TigerLand finally gets its liquor license revoked
« Reply #17790 on: June 29, 2017, 02:28:32 pm »

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
Changes are finally coming to high-end tailgating on Alabama's quad
« Reply #17792 on: June 30, 2017, 12:33:15 pm »

Meticulously arranged in perfect rows of plastic canopies, the Quad on Alabama's campus becomes its own temporary city on football Saturdays in the fall.

Unlike the densely-packed hodgepodge tapestry of the Grove at Ole Miss, this is the model of uniformity as required by the University of Alabama.

It's also a big business --

The least expensive season-long package on the quad now costs $2,450 before the extras like food and drink.

A setup with as many as nine tents would cost somewhere approaching $30,000 for the 2017 season.

Michael Casagrande

HogFan219

• Varsity
2017 SEC Media Days
« Reply #17793 on: July 05, 2017, 09:28:43 am »

Assuming baby B doesn't arrive and alter the day that Arkansas is supposed to be there, I'm taking my son to Birmingham for SEC Media Days next week. Any tips from you all who have been before? Best place to try to see our guys or maybe for my son to get an autograph? I've looked, but I don't see anywhere that tickets or passes are required to attend. Can anyone clarify please? Thanks for the help...

VirginiaHog

• Senior
Aggie game in Dallas, Hotel info
« Reply #17794 on: July 14, 2017, 11:01:59 am »

Son and I are going for 1st time. Any recommendations for reasonable priced, decent neighborhood place to stay that weekend?

SWMrshogfan

• Walk-On
Re: Aggie game in Dallas, Hotel info
« Reply #17795 on: July 14, 2017, 11:53:28 am »

We stayed near Ft Worth downtown area. Courtyard but several moderately priced in area. Nice area downtown Ft Wirth with lots of very good restaurants.
 Not very far from stadium going everything was bumper to bumper just had to travel in fewer miles of it.  It was not very bad leaving stadium as most of the traffic was going east not west.

Been10Hog

• Senior
« Reply #17796 on: July 14, 2017, 12:21:33 pm »

We've stayed at both Residence Inn's in Arlington. Convenient and the one North of stadium/six flags has shuttle to the stadium

RyanMallettsEgo

• Hogvillian
« Reply #17797 on: July 14, 2017, 12:52:07 pm »

If you've never used it before, or even if you have, try AirBnB. I rarely stay in hotels anymore when I travel. Usually cheaper than a hotel, and nicer. Plenty of options in that area, too.

rhames

« Reply #17798 on: July 14, 2017, 01:46:56 pm »

We usually stay at the Sheraton by the stadium.

HotlantaHog

« Reply #17799 on: July 18, 2017, 03:39:39 pm »

We usually stay at Warwick Melrose hotel in Dallas near downtown ... great neighborhood, near lots of restaurants and bars ... a quaint, older, classic hotel.  http://warwickhotels.com/dallas/offers/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Melrose&utm_content=melrose%20hotel%20dallas&gclid=CjwKEAjw47bLBRDkgorklobUklESJAAGH4-RxgU96f7YLEo7oKnt5x3clzx5YCuOEa8uNskQYQT4BRoCP8Pw_wcB
Pages: 1 ... 353 354 355 [356] 357   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas