Pages:
Actions
  • #10401 by the_kosher_pig on 14 Nov 2012
  • If heat rises then why is there snow on the mountains?
  • #10402 by RazorPiggie on 14 Nov 2012
  • Little Dooey is good.
  • #10403 by Jackrabbit Hog on 14 Nov 2012
  • were staying at waverly and eating at anthonys like we did in 2010. sounds crazy but bring earplugs if you got em unless youre in middle of hog section

Stayed at Old Waverly in West Point last year (visiting the daughter on a weekend).  Man, what a great place out in the middle of nowhere!  I wish we'd had more time there than just one night. 
  • #10404 by NWARazor on 14 Nov 2012
  • Foghorn's opening at 2:00 at both locations in Fayetteville.
  • #10405 by bartonbear on 14 Nov 2012
  • You will leave blown away at how great their game day atmosphere is inside the stadium. My buddy and I went in 2010 in our Sugar Bowl season and I was blown away at how much better the atmosphere inside the stadium is than ours. No sarcasm here
  • #10406 by Hogmiser on 14 Nov 2012
  • Even though we suck, I'm thrilled that I get to spend Thanksgiving in Fayetteville for a game against LSU. I've been waiting for this for a long time.

And I don't live in NWA, I live in Nashville, TN. Five hours from Little Rock; Eight hours from Fayetteville.
       It will only be for this year.
  • #10407 by RSLVLHOGVILLIAN on 14 Nov 2012
  • Went to starkville once place was a total pit. Campus,stadium,town everything sucked I couldn't leave fast enough. My suggestion is to not go at all.
  • #10408 by jbcarol on 14 Nov 2012
  • Lived in Starkville for 10 years.  There won't be much difference in going through Tupelo or going down 55 then east on 82.  You will definitely be able to haul A on 55 and 82 is 4 lane all the way to Starkville and is basically like an Interstate now.  Not much to look at either way.

As far as where to eat, Starkville offers many good choices.  Here are a few of my favorites.  To the fool that ate at Ryan's what did you expect?

1.  Harvey's  great casual dining and really good food.  Will be busy on game weekend but worth the wait.  Since the game is early might not be too bad for dinner.  http://eatwithus.com/harveys/index.php

2.  Littel Dooey. This is the place the ESPN guys always talk about.  http://www.littledooey.com/

3.  Oby's is another place I always liked.  Good cajun fare, sandwiches, burgers etc https://www.obys.net/index.php

4.  Old Venice Pizza, or OVP is another place we really liked.  Great brick oven pizza's and lots of variety.  http://www.oldvenice.com/

5.  Starkville Cafe right downtown on Main St., great for breakfast.

6.  If all you want is a good burger then try Christy's http://www.christyburger.com/OurStory.htm
  • #10409 by bartonbear on 14 Nov 2012
  • I expected the worst when I went, but whoever is in charge of their PA does an outstanding job. Their crowd never had the chance of getting out of the game because they were kept involved the whole time. Even during timeouts and delays. Call me a fool but its a nice atmosphere inside the stadium. Our crew in Fayetteville and Little Rock cold learn a thing or two.
  • #10410 by Rooster Hogburn on 14 Nov 2012
  • Watch out for Forest Allgood.
  • #10411 by Tortfeasor on 14 Nov 2012
  • I spent a week in Starkville one day and will never go back.
  • #10412 by Hawgphish on 14 Nov 2012
  • Been making the Starkville road trip the last 10 years.  When the game is over drive to Memphis as fast as you can and don't look back.  Eat at your favorite rib joint.
  • #10413 by McHogLovin on 14 Nov 2012
  • Went to starkville once place was a total pit. Campus,stadium,town everything sucked I couldn't leave fast enough. My suggestion is to not go at all.

The only thing uglier than the town itself will be the play of our hogs I'm afraid.
  • #10414 by swoopeshog on 14 Nov 2012
  • Mugshots down town is good for burgers and beer.  Central Station Grill is a moderate priced restaurant with good food.  Both are in the Cotton district of Starkville.
  • #10415 by George S. Pigton on 15 Nov 2012
  • we always eat in Memphis, get into Starkville and get the hell out.  we have been both ways numerous times and I like 55 south out of Memphis if your interested in pushing the speed limit.  It is faster by about 10-15 minutes than the 78 route out of Memphis which can get backed up.  However, both are easy drives. 
  • #10416 by the_kosher_pig on 15 Nov 2012
  • lol @ people in Russellville saying Starkville was an armpit.  Starkville is a very nice town.  Small, cozy, and everything is laid out nice. 
  • #10417 by Blockisland on 15 Nov 2012
  • Will the liquor stores be open Thanksgiving?
  • #10418 by Dwight_K_Shrute on 15 Nov 2012
  • You will leave blown away at how great their game day atmosphere is inside the stadium. My buddy and I went in 2010 in our Sugar Bowl season and I was blown away at how much better the atmosphere inside the stadium is than ours. No sarcasm here

Have to agree although the stadium is smaller and the campus not as pretty as Fayetteville they do a great job with gameday atmosphere.  Tailgating all around the stadium, the fans are pumped up but probably the friendliest in the SEC.  They are there to support the program and have a good time.  Took the entire family to the 2010 game and had an awesome time.  We are a house divided but sat in the Razorback section.  My wife and her family rang their cowbells and our fans gave them a good natured hard time.

Starkville has an undeserved reputation because it is a small town, but it is a true university town.  You can have as good a time in Starkville as any SEC town, just depends on the effort you put into it.  The girls are pretty, the people are great, and it's a very safe place.

Since they are right in the middle of the SEC West the fans there are as knowledgable as you will find.  They keep up with the other programs and love SEC football.  Cheer against them during the game but afterwards have some fun and they will join you in hating on Ole Miss, Alabama, Auburn, and LSU. 
  • #10419 by ballz2thewall on 15 Nov 2012
  • Is it better to go down 55 from Memphis or through Tupelo?  Also are there any good eating places around the stadium?  Leaving from NEA that morning and I have never been there?  Thanks

the best bet is to go down to pine bluff and hit 65 to lake village, then 82 through greenville ms with a straight shot to starkville.  its 4 lane all the way and you don't have to fool with I40.  its also about 25 shorter, give or take.

[edit - forget what i said. i misread your post thinking you were in NWA.  sorry.]
  • #10420 by weresoclose on 15 Nov 2012
  • I can almost 100% guarantee Brewskis will be open and will be the place to go.
  • #10421 by PintailKiller on 15 Nov 2012
  • 78 (Future I-22) is pretty fast now. You can take it to Tupelo then go South on 45.

This is the way to go.
  • #10422 by NWARazor on 15 Nov 2012
  • Mary Maestri's - Springdale will be CLOSED on Thanksgiving Day.
  • #10423 by popcornhog on 15 Nov 2012
  •    It will only be for this year.

Is that your guess or do you know that for a fact?

If that's true I'm really glad that I get to go this year. My stance on LR is that if we have to play home games on the road, let's at least rotate who plays in the Rock. I lived in LR for the past four years and I would've appreciated getting to see Bama, Ole Miss, Tennessee, Florida, Vandy, at WMS.

In reality though, I don't get how the University justifies playing down there.
  • #10424 by Aston Martin 8 dude on 15 Nov 2012
  • From my perspective there's only one thing you need to know: I spent a year there one day.
  • #10425 by Scubahog on 15 Nov 2012
  • While Starkville does not compare to Fayetteville, it is still a nice college town, the fans are pretty nice (not rude like Ole Miss fans) and they do some pretty good tailgating around the stadium area.  They always give me grief over my scripted A baseball cap, saying, "didn't I know that they had already played the Bama game".  My comeback was, "I wouldn't expect a Mississippi State fan to know the alphabet and that Arkansas began with an A".  Most of the time that was followed by laughter.

Obys...po-boys and food with a Louisiana flare
    Strombolis...pretty good pizza
    Old Venice...more pizza, pretty good
    Mugshots...good (big) burgers and sandwiches, normally good sized crowd
    Starkville Cafe...a breakfast traditon for me
    BBQ...I haven't eaten any good BBQ in the state of Mississippi yet, but they say its in the area

I hope you already have a hotel room, if not, you may have problems finding one.  You might get stuck staying in the same dump with did last time, next to a bar called the Ironhorse (I think) The hotels claim to fame was that Tayna Tucker or Linda Ronstadt stayed there in the 70's and they haven't updated since.
  • #10426 by ChemEHawg on 15 Nov 2012
  • Even though we suck, I'm thrilled that I get to spend Thanksgiving in Fayetteville for a game against LSU. I've been waiting for this for a long time.

And I don't live in NWA, I live in Nashville, TN. Five hours from Little Rock; Eight hours from Fayetteville.

I'll be there with you. 12 hour drive from Ohio. Can't wait to see them play LSU in THE CAMPUS stadium. Fayetteville is also my hometown, so it's very convenient this year.
  • #10427 by woodhog14 on 15 Nov 2012
  •    It will only be for this year.

No it won't. The game is sold out in all assigned seating, so that right there is why it won't be just for this year. The tickets that are for sell are tickets that students turned back in. BTW, the student section in WMS in 2010 was not full for the LSU game and we were playing for a BCS game.
  • #10428 by twistitup on 15 Nov 2012
  • Corn Dog stands on every corner - bank it!

Give 'em what they want.

I'm even planning a Thanksgiving special....Turkey & Dressing Dog that looks just like a regular corn dog....I hear they don't like change.
  • #10429 by Hogmiser on 15 Nov 2012
  • No it won't. The game is sold out in all assigned seating, so that right there is why it won't be just for this year. The tickets that are for sell are tickets that students turned back in. BTW, the student section in WMS in 2010 was not full for the LSU game and we were playing for a BCS game.

It will be back in The Rock in 14. Fayetteville has The Alabama Game. Enough said.
  • #10430 by woodhog14 on 15 Nov 2012
  • It will be back in The Rock in 14. Fayetteville has The Alabama Game. Enough said.

Once again...no it won't. Jeff Long has made that clear.
  • #10431 by budcampbellfan on 15 Nov 2012
  • From LR:  I-530/US 65 south to US 82 @ Lake Village and east to Starkville.
  • #10432 by Bret Squealema on 15 Nov 2012
  • It will be back in The Rock in 14. Fayetteville has The Alabama Game. Enough said.

The Bama game was in Fayetteville this year also.  What difference does that make?
  • #10433 by TNhogfan on 16 Nov 2012
    Why?  I hope they play it in the stadium the University owns instead of going out of town to play in a rented out of date stadium.
  • #10434 by popcornhog on 16 Nov 2012

That's your opinion. It's worth no more than mine.

From what I understood the idea was to start rotating LR games. I don't recall where I heard this or how accurate it is.
  • #10435 by Huckleberry Pig on 16 Nov 2012

are you the lady who made that terrible youtube video after our loss to ULM?  you know, the one with your nose taped up
  • #10436 by Whirlwind on 16 Nov 2012
  • Fastest way 78 east to 45 south to 45Alt to 82 west to 182 west and follow crowd on to state rd 12 south
  • #10437 by Whirlwind on 16 Nov 2012
  • that is from NE arkansas 175 miles from 55 bridge in west mempis
  • #10438 by Whirlwind on 16 Nov 2012
  • Fastest way from LR is I-40 to Memphis 78 to 45 to 45A  4 hours 31 minutes
  • #10439 by Hogfaniam on 17 Nov 2012
  • A game at starkvegas is in the planning for 2014.  They will have their addition to the stadium finished.  We will be in the second year of a new coach.  From watching todays crowd, it looks like a good time. 
  • #10440 by popcornhog on 02 Dec 2012
  • Over the next two months I will be traveling between Pine Bluff and Texarkana 2-3 different times for work.

I've lived in Batesville, Little Rock, and Fayetteville and spent lots of time in between those three towns. I'm very unfamiliar with South Arkansas though.

I know there has to be some good food in some of the small towns down there.
  • #10441 by hoss cartrack on 02 Dec 2012
  • if you have time to head down to mcgehee...willie mae's cafe on main street.  small place...big taste
  • #10442 by pigture perfect on 02 Dec 2012
  • The White House Cafe in Camden. Best Chilli in Arkansas. Great Soul Food.
  • #10443 by Hooch on 02 Dec 2012
  • Pops place in Texarkana is really good.
    http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/75/787529/restaurant/Arkansas/POPS-Place-Texarkana

There is a fish place in Garland called Doc's it is really good too.
    http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/75/785849/restaurant/Arkansas/Texarkana/Docs-Fish-Steak-Garland-City

Little Place in Prescott I stop at some too, called Mama Max's.  It is a hole in the wall but got a lot of soul food. 
    https://www.sbn.com/Arkansas/Prescott/Listing/Maxines-Diner/_L12DDN
  • #10444 by Hedgehog79 on 02 Dec 2012
  • El Dorado. Town House......man i miss the food
  • #10445 by Blue35 on 02 Dec 2012
  • Pack a lunch.
  • #10446 by Boog41 on 02 Dec 2012
  • McClards BBQ in Hot Springs is great. Homemade tomales are a must! If around Lewisville, outside Texarkana, Burges BBQ. Cant go wrong either place!
  • #10447 by HuntnHog on 02 Dec 2012

Used to have a really good steak too.  That was about 15 years ago though. 
  • #10448 by MrThunderhog on 03 Dec 2012
  • Used to have a really good steak too.  That was about 15 years ago though.

closed the white house down many a night then leave there and go to the retreat

man those were some good times
  • #10449 by Ash on 03 Dec 2012
  • El Dorado. Town House......man i miss the food

I never really cared for it despite being drug there many a time by my parents growing up. I'm pretty sure it closed unless it moved locations. To this day I believe the burgers at T-Model's Pit Stop were the best burger period while I was growing up. I remember walking down to the place many times and picking up a lunch.

McClards BBQ in Hot Springs is great. Homemade tomales are a must! If around Lewisville, outside Texarkana, Burges BBQ. Cant go wrong either place!

Too bad Hot Springs is not south arkansas...
  • #10450 by the_kosher_pig on 03 Dec 2012
    Yuck.  The Sandbar down the road is way better. 

Camden - Ole Feed house is pretty good.  What's Cooking has awesome quesadillas.  The Sandbar like mentioned earlier is really good. 
    Magnolia - Not a whole lot of options.  Bayou Bistro is pretty good.
    El Dorado - I used to love the Corner Cafe but they shut down.  The Laredo across the street is decent though.
    Pine Bluff - Corner of Harding and Ohio has Carpenter's Fish Market.  Get a half pound of fish for 5 dollars and no tax.  It's the best fish I've ever had.  I like Fred's in Batesville and JoJo's outside of Mountain View, but this beats even them.   
Pages:
Actions