Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

HUNH

Started by TulsaHogFan, February 04, 2007, 09:00:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hoghearted

Quote from: outlawhogeywells on February 04, 2007, 10:03:37 pm
thankyou union christian
they do not run the HUNH....and if you look close that had a very good running game. and the anouncers even said that things have changed at Indy...
One more time, HUNH does NOT equal flinging the ball around the field. You can use the running game with the HUNH.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

TulsaHogFan

Quote from: outlawhogeywells on February 04, 2007, 10:03:37 pm
thankyou union christian
they do not run the HUNH....and if you look close that had a very good running game. and the anouncers even said that things have changed at Indy...

Wow you new guys are going to take a beating on here when someone has some free time to tear into your arguments.

But welcome to the board!  I can't wait to show why your wrong.

TulsaHogFan

Quote from: hoghearted on February 04, 2007, 10:05:16 pm
One more time, HUNH does NOT equal flinging the ball around the field. You can use the running game with the HUNH.

Exactly.

I think we should have run the HUNH and ran the ball 80% of the time with either Jones, DMac, Hillis, or Petrus.  Just run the HUNH and run it down their throats.

Porkatarian

Quote from: TulsaHogFan on February 04, 2007, 09:00:50 pm
A team using it when it wants to, trusting its all star QB, just won the superbowl.

How bout those apples.

Frank's experts forgot to tell the Colts that the HUNH wouldn't work without a running QB.

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

Porkatarian

Quote from: TulsaHogFan on February 04, 2007, 10:06:41 pm
Quote from: hoghearted on February 04, 2007, 10:05:16 pm

Exactly.

I think we should have run the HUNH and ran the ball 80% of the time with either Jones, DMac, Hillis, or Petrus.  Just run the HUNH and run it down their throats.

You are exactly right my friend.  That's the biggest myth out there about the HUNH, and it's commonly put out there by Nutt supporters.

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

passinghog

How can it not be more beneficial to our running backs to run against a nickel defense (which is what you would play against predominantly if you spread the field with the HUNH) than trying to run against an 8 man front??????

Common logic says you want to run against 5 and 6 in the box as opposed to 8 and 9 in the box.

Why is this so hard to understand?

More space to athletes the likes of Jones and Mcfadden equals more yards.

arkjay19

Quote from: HoopSlap on February 04, 2007, 09:39:39 pm
9, if any fans ran him off, I'm guessing it wasn't me or the ones actually had his back.   Funny how huggers claim not to bash any players ....unless his name is Mitch or he's from Springdale and then, have at it.   The talk shows should shoulder some blame too.   But above all else, I blame Houston Dale Nutt.
Quote from: arkhog9 on February 04, 2007, 09:25:46 pm

But Mustain didn't leave a situation he didn't like.  He left a situation where the fans and media wouldn't let him be another quarterback on the team.  All the "Darksiders" would always rally to him and he didn't want to be that.  I believe the fans drove him away just as much if not more than Nutt.

It was the fact that you had his back so much over the entire program.  I don't think Mitch is a saint or overly selfish, but the fans rallied to him as their standard against Nutt.  MM didn't want to be a negative symbol against the coach.  The fans would never let him just be and that wasn't fair for him.  HDN mishandled him, but the fans bombarded him with positivity and negativity, and too much of both.

RebelliousHog

Quote from: mook on February 04, 2007, 09:44:49 pm
I agree brodie. That is a true hog. I wanted to win with MM but if he wants to leave, Don't let the door hit you on the way out. When Frank is gone Houston will go back to the stuff he did the first 2 seasons.

So you readily and happily admit with have a coach who:
A) has so little backbone that he will not run HIS offense.
or
B) is so incompetent that he cannot design an offense that is not 30+ years out of date without an 80+ year old AD.

Yep, that's what I want for a coach. EXTREME SARCASM.
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

Scott E.

A team using it when it wants to, trusting its all star QB, just won the superbowl.

How bout those apples.

Everyone knows Manning is a running QB.

[/sarcasm]

HoopS

He did want to be just another player, that is a fact.   Lot of factors that you and I don't truly know.   No matter who or what is to blame, I feel bad for him.   I truly believe he loves the Hogs with all his heart but couldn't stay.  Just knowing that he would have signed the sidewalk like many in his family before him and how that was important to him....well, it just doesn't add up to me.

Sao Ming

Uh oh...the internet has a host of information...

If you want to see how many NO HUDDLE plays INDY ran, go here, and scroll halfwasy down to the PBP.

http://www.superbowl.com/gamecenter/gamebook/NFL_20070204_IND@CHI

Not as much as you think.

In fact, they (INDY) didn't go NH until halfway thru the 2nd Q (6:15 of 2nd)

NFL.com has Indy running a NH only 7 plays of 81 ttl offensive plays. <10%

tobs54

Quote from: Sao Ming on February 04, 2007, 10:37:52 pm

If you want to see how many NO HUDDLE plays INDY ran, go here, and scroll halfwasy down to the PBP.

Easy Sao.  that will never fly.

HAHA

Sao Ming

Quote from: tobs54 on February 04, 2007, 10:39:14 pm

HAHA

I wish I wasn't such a sports junkie and never have found it LOL!  I wanted so much to believe.

tobs54

Quote from: Sao Ming on February 04, 2007, 10:42:58 pm

HAHA

I wish I wasn't such a sports junkie and never have found it LOL!  I wanted so much to believe.

I understand

Wolfhound05

How bout those apples.

Let it go...

mook

Quote from: HenduHog on February 04, 2007, 10:25:56 pm
I agree brodie. That is a true hog. I wanted to win with MM but if he wants to leave, Don't let the door hit you on the way out. When Frank is gone Houston will go back to the stuff he did the first 2 seasons.

or
B) is so incompetent that he cannot design an offense that is not 30+ years out of date without an 80+ year old AD.

What are you talking about probably tommorrow you will go to work and do exactly what your boss tells you to do. But wait if you do that by your standards you don't have a backbone.

RebelliousHog

Quote from: mook on February 04, 2007, 10:48:14 pm
Quote from: HenduHog on February 04, 2007, 10:25:56 pm

or

What are you talking about probably tommorrow you will go to work and do exactly what your boss tells you to do. But wait if you do that by your standards you don't have a backbone.

Are you at all aware of the coaches in the NCAA who have quit or been fired for not kneeling down to an overbearing AD? One was Ken Hatfield. I stand by my statement. He is either afraid of JFB and has no balls or hasn't the brains to do anything without JFBs help.
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

TulsaHogFan

Sao, my point still stands.

They use it and it works.

hogpowr

Someone, anyone,...... fire the expert and his whore.
Welcome Coach Bielema!

Sao Ming

Quote from: TulsaHogFan on February 05, 2007, 12:21:07 pm
Sao, my point still stands.

They use it and it works.

Sparingly, but true.  Did you see the number of shotgun sets?  An unreal amount.  Good move to take the center/QB exchange out of the equation in the slop.  All around great game planning I thought...good use of run and screen all night.

RzBlade

Everyone knows the HUNH works ..... Frank should really play more Xbox.  ;)

jpenrod1

The difference in Gus and the colts is that, from what i have seen, gus does not line up and run it down the middle. the colts are most successful when they can have a good running game going. which we very easily could have. The HUNH can work. it is when you never leave the shotgun that wont work. either way. we should have let Gus run his offense. if they say it work try it and see for sure. I think that his high school O would not have worked. I also doubt he was planning on not changing his O from what he did in high school. I think he would have got it to work. regardless our O did fine last year. we were best when we only passed 10 times and D-mac got 30 carries. i dont know why we are wanting to change from an O that scores 30 points a game. we did not lose games last year because of not scoring. except for the Wisconsin game.

PigWig

Quote from: jpenrod1 on February 05, 2007, 12:40:28 pm
The difference in Gus and the colts is that, from what i have seen, gus does not line up and run it down the middle. the colts are most successful when they can have a good running game going. which we very easily could have. The HUNH can work. it is when you never leave the shotgun that wont work. either way. we should have let Gus run his offense. if they say it work try it and see for sure. I think that his high school O would not have worked. I also doubt he was planning on not changing his O from what he did in high school. I think he would have got it to work. regardless our O did fine last year. we were best when we only passed 10 times and D-mac got 30 carries. i dont know why we are wanting to change from an O that scores 30 points a game. we did not lose games last year because of not scoring. except for the Wisconsin game.

The fact is simply that we there was a need for no huddle (2 Minute Drill) in situations such as the final minutes of the LSU game what happened? Lets close our eyes and heave the ball downfield 4 time in a row.

jpenrod1

I agree. with that. but a 2 minute drill and an HUNH O are difference.

gduchar

TulsaHogFan

patgrl

Quote from: Short and Snout on February 04, 2007, 09:47:15 pm
Quote from: UnionChristian#3 on February 04, 2007, 09:33:45 pm
Quote from: BigoBoys on February 04, 2007, 09:29:53 pm
According to Frank it won't work in the SEC. 

and has that been proven right or wrong? we dont know how the HUNH looked in practice. maybe when gus got there his offense didnt work in practice against reggie's defense. or maybe they knew it wasnt time to trust a freshman with that offense...yet. who knows, but i think the right decisions were made this year, except the LSU game---not putting mitch back in. im not a mitch or casey fan, but it was clear that game casey wasnt on.

Yea it won't work in the SEC Fla is just an exception to the rule and we all know the SEC is a helluva lot tougher than the NFL.

LOL

ballhog™

I will never be conviced the No Huddle can't work in the SEC.
Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

gwddog

I agree it will not work in the SEC. Never mind, Broyles told me that stood for Senior Entertainment Center.
back 2 back 2 back

Le Hogtre

This is a great post - full of relevant information.

HONDAHOG

Frank to Houston, "Hey, do you think they will find out that we are the experts we have been talking about"

Houston to Frank, "No way daddy Frank, they are to stupid to find out. I mean look how long I have been coach".

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

How bout those apples.

But why would we want to hurry up and not take our time to be sure to call the right running play next year???

Wake up, we have a Heinzman candidate!
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Newhopehog

Quote from: Sao Ming on February 04, 2007, 10:42:58 pm

HAHA

well if you are such a sports junkie did you not watch the game....I did and the colts ran the no huddle the whole second half and most of the first half ...and I don't have to read what someone  else wrote to know that....7 plays mu a$$..you need to put the bottle down....

snortyann

AstroHog has a great bumper sticker with "Hurry Up No Houston"

Pigskin_Porker

Quote from: stupig on February 06, 2007, 03:09:53 am
AstroHog has a great bumper sticker with "Hurry Up No Houston"

Sounds like another t-shirt opportunity!  :)
"ATHLETICS IS A MINDSET.  WINNERS THINK DIFFERENT. I SHOULD STOP SAYING 'THINK' BECAUSE WINNERS DON'T THINK, THEY JUST DO IT."                                                                                            -- COACH JOHN McDONNELL  (42 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS)                                                

. . .  Es ist verdammt hart, das Beste zu sein . . .

hawgtahm

The comparison is apples and oranges.

The term Hurry Up/No Huddle is constantly used to describe Malzahn's offense, but in his case it is also a spread formation. I think that gets lost somewhere in the translation. The Colts did go HUNH on a limited number of plays, as Sao pointed out, but they did this predominately out of a 2 tight end set. That is not even close to the same thing.

malzhanista

Quote from: arkhog9 on February 04, 2007, 09:33:16 pm
Just don't make the comparison without specifying the similarities, even though there are none in this one.

Quote from: HoopSlap on February 04, 2007, 09:28:53 pm

Mitch didn't want to be a Hog?    What a load of crap.   The boy wanted to be a Hog his whole life and got there and was run off.  Period

yep, by the fans

If there is any truth to your statement, it was huggers like yourself and teresa prewett who ran mitch off. It sure as hell wasn't the darkside, who supported mitch!

As to the original post, we already had the run game. But rather than let gus install the passing game necessary to win championships, houston ran both gus and mitch off.

Houston nutt would rather lose, than let gus, mitch, the team and fans succeed.

CSNuts

February 06, 2007, 06:14:10 am #87 Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 06:20:50 am by CSNuts

HAHA

Damn Sao, there you go with that logic thing again...

And by the way has anyone bothered to mention that Tom Moore has been the OC at Indy since 1998?  That's the same year Peyton was drafted.  Yup, it works so well it took 9 seasons to win it all.  And before you jump down my throat, I know they are pretty much good year after year but it still did not happen in one single season.

tannerspapa

Quote from: arkhog9 on February 04, 2007, 09:25:46 pm
You said trusted their "all star" quarterback.  Mustain wasn't bad, but he wasn't great either.  And someone else made the point, they didn't run HUNH, they just ran no huddle, but with the NFL's longer play clock it's easier for them to do that and make adjustments. 

But Mustain didn't leave a situation he didn't like.  He left a situation where the fans and media wouldn't let him be another quarterback on the team.  All the "Darksiders" would always rally to him and he didn't want to be that.  I believe the fans drove him away just as much if not more than Nutt.

Well that IS what HE said on his "exit interview?" on Razorback Nation. I think if we had a QB on the level of PM then we too could let him call plays at the LOS too.

BTW, DEFENSE won that game for the Colts. The offense was good , but not in a the typical colts fashion. In fact i would go so far as to say they "flipped the script." They won with tough hard nosed defense and more smashmouth offense. In fact they ran HDN's second fav play "the stretch" more than any other.

SPIN SPIN SPIN baby, whatever it takes to make the "facts" fit your agenda.

tannerspapa

Quote from: TulsaHogFan on February 04, 2007, 10:04:34 pm
Quote from: Hogamous on February 04, 2007, 09:57:10 pm
Blah, Blah, Blah. The relevance of whether you huddle or not is kind of silly.  I don't really care which one NH or not but starting a thread with it is kind of lame.  I am quite sure if memory serves me correctly there have been championships won by both at all levels. (Oh and by the way no knock intended but since the bears couldn't make a first down IMO the result would have basically been the same huddle or not)

This was a thread meant to flame from the start.  Not strategizing just a little common sense

Whether you huddle or not actually is the SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR to whether the defense is allowed to substitute.  So to say that its not relevant is at least ignorant.  Possibly worse. 

Meant to flame?  No.

Meant to make a point?  Yes.

I believe I have made my point.  I believe by the lack of responses to my arguments, my point has been made.

Uh you do realize in the NFL the offense CANNOT snap the Ball until the defense is ready, it does not work like it does in HIGH SCHOOL where you can tell the REFS to hurry and spot the ball so we can run the next play.

Hogphilia

Quote from: UnionChristian#3 on February 04, 2007, 09:10:39 pm
HAHAHA, wait are you comparing Mitch Mustain to Peyton Manning....thats funny. wow, you guys really have crowned him our savior. folks, he had one good game...that was vandy. auburn he was efficient, but every other game, especially the cupcakes, he stuggled to make easier passes. folks, the guy isnt as good as we made him. plus, the colts dont run a HUNH, its just a No Huddle.

the guy had the starting job locked up next year if he would have stayed. but he decided to leave the things he "didnt like". Im sorry, but this guy doesnt have the right attitude, if he doesnt want to be here, let him leave. im not a nutt fan, i wish we could upgrade ... but im glad gus moved on to where he can run his offense, and i think mustain blew his chance here. in a year, mcfadden would be gone and the offense would be his... as a junior.

Would YOU want to hang around and take your chances on next year from some Weasel of a coach who wouldn't even talk to you?  Mitch Mustain's troubles as a QB at Ark. stemmed from the Wonder Weasel limiting his reads to 0.  He was told to throw to the primary receiver or throw it into the dirt...no matter who else is open.  Just watch the replays, you can see definite evidence that was in play.

Face it, Nuttboy is the problem not anyone else.  As long as he is here....mediocrity.

oldhawg

Quote from: hog caller on February 04, 2007, 09:22:50 pm
oh my TulsaHog are your hemi's bothering you tonight.Mitch couldn't win a tough sec game and we didn't want to put in in that position so how could he win a superbowl game HUH! how could he.

I guess we will never know if MM could win a tough SEC game since he was never given the opportunity, in spite of poor play by his replacement CD.

oldhawg

Quote from: mook on February 04, 2007, 09:37:40 pm
You love fans like me. Right, you all make players to be more important than the team. Mitch didn't want to be a hog, if he did he would still be there no matter the offense. Both Mitch and Casey neeeded to step up this year but they didn't that is why we were 10-4 and not NC 13-1. I will be there in the stands, you can go be a Tulsa Hurricane fan for the coach and probable QB. A true hogfan  on the team DMAC. Don't worry about recruiting me cause I'm a RAZORBACK. I wish everyone that left could just leave and the fans would supporting the one who stayed. I don't think they will succeed like they could have here but that is OK we get replacements for them.

Too bad that when HDN quit the Razorbacks the first time he did not stay away-----then Razorback fans everywhere would not be faced with choosing sides. 

There seem to be very few neutral fans concerning HDN.  Funny that folks can disparage MM for making the same decision that Nutt did when he was a player, and out of the other side oh their mouths praise Nutt.

Nashville Fan

I don't give a crap about HUNH unless AR is down with little time on the clock. Yes, it would be nice to keep the defense disorganized; but, hey HDN must feel we have the superior talent, so..., that advantage is not needed. However, I would like to have a passing game that does not have the QB and receivers fighting an uphill battle. You can't blame the QB or WR for only going 50% in this offense. That is the way the offense is designed right down to the practices.
Pittman or Bust!

Break & Run

for one, peyton manning is a DEVELOPED quarterback. The HUNH wouldn't work at Arkansas b/c HDN can't develop QB's like David Cutcliffe can. Two, the offensive linemen has to be in GREAT physical shape to run that.  I played in it ALOT in high school as an o-linemen and it wore you out if you weren't in as good of shape as say, darren mcfadden. go figure!!!
Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

ridgeback

HUNH does not live here . Get over it!! Tulsa sales tickets also. Go HOGS!!!!

Hog Fan 51

Let me speak on behalf of Frank & HDN here when I say If you throw the ball three things can happen and two of them are bad. So given this the Colts win must have been a fluke (sarcasm). When was the last time a predominatly running team won the superbowl?
The over used wildcat will be rendered ineffective as it was after our 8-0 starting QB was benched!

Le Hogtre

Quote from: Hog Fan 51 on February 06, 2007, 09:20:19 am
Let me speak on behalf of Frank & HDN here when I say If you throw the ball three things can happen and two of them are bad. So given this the Colts win must have been a fluke (sarcasm). When was the last time a predominatly running team won the superbowl?

I believe the Steelers won the Super Bowl in 2006.

MalzahnNutt

February 06, 2007, 02:04:00 pm #98 Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 04:41:27 pm by MalzahnNutt
Oh what might have been!!!  Can you imagine what recruiting would be like if we had run the HUHN this past year, Nutt had gone to NC St (or anywhere else) and Broyles had retired?

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: ridgeback on February 06, 2007, 09:11:21 am
HUNH does not live here . Get over it!! Tulsa sales tickets also. Go HOGS!!!!

Thats right Hawgs Fans, Tulsa do sale tickets to and so does USC and Oklahoma State as well as OSU.

I agree, time to move on Malazahan bolte and so did them Springdalians but Dmac is here he never need no HUH to kick it and he's bringing us home the Heinzman.  WPS!

published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07