Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Malzahn and Tulsa first major D-1 college to offer #1QB in state for 2008!!

Started by WILL CLINTON, February 02, 2007, 12:58:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jtgreer

Quote from: paraloma on February 02, 2007, 02:03:59 pm
Quote from: jtgreer on February 02, 2007, 01:57:41 pm
Since when has tulsa been a "major D1 college"?

When they hired Malazahn.

So hiring a CO-offensive coordinator, one year removed from high school, who according to most posters on this board was not even calling the plays at Arkansas, and thus has no college play-calling experience, has turned tulsa into a major D1 program?  Im not saying that I dont think Malzahn is a great coach, in fact I believe he has a great offensive mind.  Its just that I dont think he has the experience to turn tulsa into a major d1 program.  Guys, he's not even the head coach.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: dubyacee on February 02, 2007, 12:58:11 pm
Jim Youngblood just got the offer from Gus himself. 

Arkansas is behind again.

Expecting 2-4 more offers by end of next week. 

Tell us something that either we don't know or that we couldn't have guessed. Thanks.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

hogsanity

If this kid was from some town in Texas, would this thread be here?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Razorzac

I doubt he is going to Tulsa. He will be a Hog. I have heard he has already been asked to play baseball at UA - and football is just a detail. I have some inside info...Mod's Pm for my source.
Go Hogs.

hogsanity

Quote from: MikeThrel on February 02, 2007, 02:21:06 pm
Did you just call Tulsa a major D-1 college?

Apparently Gus is so freaking good that if Colgate hired him they would be d1 nc material.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

UAPORK

If it is not an exaggeration that he throws a 95 mph fastball..........then college football coaches are all wasting their time recruiting this kid.  High Schoolers that can throw 95 will be offered a 6 digit signing bonus to play baseball.

hog caller

plan you say they have aplan what plan ? whose plan when does it unfold? plan you say.

lets look at the film before we offer.lets just wait he hasn't been offered by a big school yet.

HogSophist

Quote from: hogsanity on February 02, 2007, 02:20:06 pm

If my aunt had wheels would she be a bicycle?

He is from Arkansas.
signature removed by Hogville staff. (but Erie's quote revived because I missed it)

In an era where there are over $70 trillion in future obligations, beyond the debt,   taking up practices in budgeting that are tantamount to saying 'And then in 2040, a magic dragon will sh*tpoopy $100 trillion and fix our problems'  simply isn't wise. --ErieHog

Razorzac

Quote from: UAPORK on February 02, 2007, 02:23:32 pm
If it is not an exaggeration that he throws a 95 mph fastball..........then college football coaches are all wasting their time recruiting this kid.  High Schoolers that can throw 95 will be offered a 6 digit signing bonus to play baseball.

It is true and he will be drafted.
Go Hogs.

HognotinMemphis

If Nutt signed too many great players, mostly 4 and 5 stars, then he would not be able to under-sell and over-deliver. He can't have a great recruiting class ever as it would ruin his good thing.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Not nessesarily, you got to have more than a 95 MPH fastball to get the big signing bonus. Well unless he is a lefty.

hogsanity

Quote from: HogSophist on February 02, 2007, 02:26:35 pm

He is from Arkansas.

So he is from Ar?    LEts see who else comes calling for his services before we proclaim this another great loss.

Razorzac

Quote from: hogsanity on February 02, 2007, 02:31:20 pm

He is from Arkansas.

So he is from Ar?    LEts see who else comes calling for his services before we proclaim this another great loss.

Yes, he is from Camden. This kid is the real deal (in baseball). In football I don't know a whole lot about him. I know he was invited to the Max Emfinger (Sp?) game to watch (he was a junior).
Go Hogs.

DooDahman

Quote from: preacherhog on February 02, 2007, 01:04:16 pm
For years we heard about the cloud and how it hurt recruiting.  From 2002 thru 2006 our average recruiting ranking was 26.  Right now this class appears to be settling in somewhere in the mid 30s.  What will be the excuse now???
The cloud that hurts our recruiting is the "brain cloud" that HDN has.

HogSophist

He is from Arkansas.

So he is from Ar?    LEts see who else comes calling[/b} for his services before we proclaim this another great loss.

How about replying to the point of this thread, that the #1 rated Junior QB's first offer is.....(hint not the UofA), but rather Tulsa. Now, maybe they have no chance, but this seems oddly familiar. When he has a host of offers from D1 schools, will you reevaluate, when he signs with someone other than the UofA, will you reevaluate then?  btw, he is part of a very good Camden team, in ARK.
signature removed by Hogville staff. (but Erie's quote revived because I missed it)

In an era where there are over $70 trillion in future obligations, beyond the debt,   taking up practices in budgeting that are tantamount to saying 'And then in 2040, a magic dragon will sh*tpoopy $100 trillion and fix our problems'  simply isn't wise. --ErieHog

KAHog

Gus went to sell toothpaste?
Quote from: hogsanity on February 02, 2007, 02:22:20 pm

Apparently Gus is so freaking good that if Colgate hired him they would be d1 nc material.

WILL CLINTON

Doubtful, we never sign the #1 QB in Texas or Arkansas. 

Quote from: Razorzac on February 02, 2007, 02:22:16 pm
I doubt he is going to Tulsa. He will be a Hog. I have heard he has already been asked to play baseball at UA - and football is just a detail. I have some inside info...Mod's Pm for my source.

Football is not "just a detail" as you put it. 

Quote from: Razorzac on February 02, 2007, 02:26:52 pm

It is true, as you said.  Him being drafted, and him signing with a Pro team, are two TOTALLY different things though.  He doesn't even know if he would sign or not.  Like I've stated many times, money is not the real issue.  This guy has a future, and is interested in getting a good education first.  He has plans for himself. 

He is from Arkansas.

He is from Camden, Arkansas.  You wouldn't believe who is showing interest and has "come calling for his services".  I wish I could give you the list that would make you wonder how in the hell Arkansas hasn't already offered.  It is yet to be seen if they will offer, but if even half of them do it will boggle your mind trying to figure out why Arkansas didn't. 
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

Razorzac

Go Hogs.

pork-e-pine

Winning is fun,
Losing is not;
But Id rather lose and have a good attitude than win and be like texas.
also...be nice, your mom could be reading this.

Razorzac

Quote from: dubyacee on February 02, 2007, 02:47:37 pm

It is true, as you said.  Him being drafted, and him signing with a Pro team, are two TOTALLY different things though.  He doesn't even know if he would sign or not.  Like I've stated many times, money is not the real issue.  This guy has a future, and is interested in getting a good education first.  He has plans for himself. 

He is from Arkansas.

He is from Camden, Arkansas.  You wouldn't believe who is showing interest and has "come calling for his services".  I wish I could give you the list that would make you wonder how in the hell Arkansas hasn't already offered.  It is yet to be seen if they will offer, but if even half of them do it will boggle your mind trying to figure out why Arkansas didn't. 

I know football isn't just a detail. I just have heard about this kid and baseball. I didn't how good he was in
Quote from: dubyacee on February 02, 2007, 02:47:37 pm

He is from Arkansas.

I know that football isn't just a detail...i have just heard about how good he was in Baseball. I know Van Horn is recruiting him very hard and said that it was okay for him to play football as well. I guess he is just waiting on the offer.
Go Hogs.

DEVICEHIGH

Hillbilly? I prefer Appalachian American

peakhog

frankwilliams

Wow. That's funny. The man love for this dude is unreal. I don't remember this many Gus Disciples 2 years ago. Do the math on recruits and commitments to the first school that offered. When you get the results, then give me the point of this thread.

Arkansas is recruiting all 3 of those kids and have offered 2. They are about to sign 2 freshman QB's. He won't sign with Tulsa because they were 1st. I would bet on it.

HogSophist

Quote from: frankwilliams on February 02, 2007, 03:18:30 pm

Wow. That's funny. The man love for this dude is unreal. I don't remember this many Gus Disciples 2 years ago. Do the math on recruits and commitments to the first school that offered. When you get the results, then give me the point of this thread.

Arkansas is recruiting all 3 of those kids and have offered 2. They are about to sign 2 freshman QB's. He won't sign with Tulsa because they were 1st. I would bet on it.

but will the number on QB from Arkansas sign with Arkansas?

TennesseeRaz

Well, gosh dubyacee, maybe Otis has told Nuttster that he's really not any good....

HogSophist

Does your inside source give you any insight into why only 2 of the three were offered? I assume that you are agreeing that we have not offered Youngblood.

jtgreer

Quote from: TennesseeRaz on February 02, 2007, 03:19:55 pm
Well, gosh dubyacee, maybe Otis has told Nuttster that he's really not any good....

actually, otis is pretty high on this guy.

g.lynn

I guess if we wanna see kids from Arkansas play college football, we'll have to drive to Tulsa.
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

There is nothing wrong with the Hogs, that cannot be cured by what is right with the Hogs!

HDale

If Houston acts like he never wanted them in the first place, it makes it easier to swallow when they leave.

Then his Hugger mafia can say that the kid was not any good anyway. Also he only wants the kids who want to be here.
I will always hate the Dork

hogfan98

since when does being the #1 qb in arkansas automatically warrant an offer from arkansas.

86jacketstchamps

Quote from: hogfan98 on February 02, 2007, 03:31:25 pm
since when does being the #1 qb in arkansas automatically warrant an offer from arkansas.

Since as of now, we only have one QB on campus that has game experience.

86jacketstchamps

Frank seemed to think it was, when he stated that this job was a step up for Gus....or do you doubt he said that as well?

hogfan98

Quote from: 86jacketstchamps on February 02, 2007, 03:38:25 pm

Since as of now, we only have one QB on campus that has game experience.

and your point?

HogSophist

It doesnt, but it appears this kid will be offered by many other than tulsa, including "major" Div. 1 schools. But rest assured, we will offer....it will be about 3 days after his graduation and about 10th in line behind other schools, probably some from the SEC.

Newhopehog

it almost equals your manlove for Nutt.....

HawgWyld

Quote from: razorbackmike on February 02, 2007, 02:18:16 pm
Gus can be the first guy to offer every five star player in the nation a scholarship and that does not change the fact that it is to play at Tulsa.  Go watch a game there some time and compare their atmosphere to ours.
I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss schools like Tulsa. The right coach can build a comparatively minor program into something interesting. Take a look at Boise State right now -- yeah, they're not the Hogs, but they sure are a hell of a lot of fun to watch and have been getting more national attention over the past few years.

The question is, is Gus the right guy to "sell" Tulsa well enough so the team can get the players it needs to pull a Boise? Only time will tell...

greghog

Quote from: Hong Kong Sooey on February 02, 2007, 01:16:47 pm
Quote from: ajs15razorman on February 02, 2007, 01:11:04 pm
  Hopefully Youngblood will be wise enough not to go to a seond rate program in a third rate conference.
Hopefully, Youngblood will be wise enough not to commit to a second rate coach with a third rate offense...

Let me get this right, you actually want a kid to NOT go to Arkansas?  I want Nutt gone too, but I will never (1) root againt the TEAM (want them to lose) or (2) hope a recruit we want goes else where.

I am a fan of UofA, not the coach, no matter who the coach is.  I liked Lou, until he was gone, then didn't like him anymore.  I liked Hatfield (many didn't, I did) until he was gone, then wanted him to lose every game.  I don't like Nutt, but WHILE HE IS AT ARKANSAS I want Arkansas to win every game and get every recruit.  How can it be otherwise??????????

hawgfandude

No, Malzahn is not the head coach at T town yet.  But the HC didn't do too bad at that private school that Hatfield couldn't win at.

hogfan98

Quote from: Newhopehog on February 02, 2007, 03:56:33 pm

it almost equals your manlove for Nutt.....

i didn't see him reference nutt, or this so called love, one time in his post.

DezNuttstehsuq

Quote from: ajs15razorman on February 02, 2007, 01:11:04 pm
  Hopefully Youngblood will be wise enough not to go to a seond rate program in a third rate conference.

Yeah but would he be even dumber to go to 3rd rate run institution in a top tier conference

WILL CLINTON

I knew some people would come on here and try to say that since it is Tulsa, it isn't really that important, or that if Tulsa was looking at him, maybe we don't want him, and tons of other BS.  You can try to spin it as much as you want, but Tulsa is as much a major D-1 college as boise ST, Vandy, North Carolina, South Florida, etc. etc. 

I don't see how anyone can't see that Arkansas not offering the #1 Qb in the state is a problem.  What about Dale's fence?? 

To those of you who say that Nutt only wants the ones who wants to be hogs, Jim stated in his interview with Trey Biddy, that he had wanted to be a hog his whole life.  Is he not supposed to look at other schools??  Does it make him any less of a person, or athlete for him to check out other schools before he decides where to go??  Nutt only says that he only wants ones who want to be Hogs because the majority of his offers go out to 2 star guys who are elated to have an offer from someone above SAU Tech. 

Believe me, when this whole process is over, and you see the offers that this kid has on the table when he does decide to make his decision, you will understand how much of a blunder Arkansas is making. 

birdhawg

birdhawg

Quote from: dubyacee on February 02, 2007, 04:16:52 pm
I knew some people would come on here and try to say that since it is Tulsa, it isn't really that important, or that if Tulsa was looking at him, maybe we don't want him, and tons of other BS.  You can try to spin it as much as you want, but Tulsa is as much a major D-1 college as boise ST, Vandy, North Carolina, South Florida, etc. etc. 

I don't see how anyone can't see that Arkansas not offering the #1 Qb in the state isn't a problem.  What about Dale's fence?? 

To those of you who say that Nutt only wants the ones who wants to be hogs, Jim stated in his interview with Trey Biddy, that he had wanted to be a hog his whole life.  Is he not supposed to look at other schools??  Does it make him any less of a person, or athlete for him to check out other schools before he decides where to go??  Nutt only says that he only wants ones who want to be Hogs because the majority of his offers go out to 2 star guys who are elated to have an offer from someone above SAU Tech. 

Believe me, when this whole process is over, and you see the offers that this kid has on the table when he does decide to make his decision, you will understand how much of a blunder Arkansas is making. 
Why does it make a difference if it is now or a two weeks from now. We have been there to see him I'm sure we will offer soon. What's the big deal? I think it's just one more thing for you guys to bitch about.

HogSophist

Quote from: birdhawg on February 02, 2007, 04:24:26 pm

I don't see how anyone can't see that Arkansas not offering the #1 Qb in the state isn't a problem.  What about Dale's fence?? 

Why does it make a difference if it is now or a two weeks from now. We have been there to see him I'm sure we will offer soon. What's the big deal? I think it's just one more thing for you guys to *** about.

Just more symptoms of a faulty recruiting process that offered Broderick Green about 11th.

hogfan98

no problem here, considering that, if memory is serving me correctly, the only top rated qb's from arkansas to have careers worth anything were barry lunney, high school class of, what, 1991, and matt jones.  with the jury still out on mitch and kodi, that's 2 top rated qb's in 15 yrs from arkansas to have success at the major d-1 level.  some that i can think of whose careers amounted to nothing include john rutledge, daniel lunny, gary brashears, zac clark, and the other handful who didn't do jack.

stevenwayneslane

I have been looking at other message boards around the league. They are all viscous on some things. However, they are a lot like ours. People tell it like it is. Praise what needs praising and piss and moan where that needs to be done as well.

86jacketstchamps

Quote from: hogfan98 on February 02, 2007, 04:30:34 pm

no problem here, considering that, if memory is serving me correctly, the only top rated qb's from arkansas to have careers worth anything were barry lunney, high school class of, what, 1991, and matt jones.  with the jury still out on mitch and kodi, that's 2 top rated qb's in 15 yrs from arkansas to have success at the major d-1 level.  some that i can think of whose careers amounted to nothing include john rutledge, daniel lunny, gary brashears, zac clark, and the other handful who didn't do jack.

So to your point, we should only look out of state for any help at QB.  Is that why we were interested in Mike Johnson, but once he signed with Tulsa, he no longer can help us.  What about Nathan Dick, no doubt I am glad he chose us and hope he works out, but what about this signing causes you to be calm or excited about our future at QB?

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: birdhawg on February 02, 2007, 04:22:13 pm
Quote from: dubyacee on February 02, 2007, 02:10:49 pm
Quote from: arkfanchip on February 02, 2007, 02:01:09 pm
Dubyacee I got your back.

Thanks man. 

If these guys only knew. 

If we only knew that your such a Hog fan you fly that cool Bama avatar?

You don't know how much of a Hog fan I am.  I fly that "cool Bama avatar" in protest of what is going on up on the hill right now with an over the hill AD, and an incompetant baffoon as the coach. 

And it obviously makes a difference to Broderick Green.  It probably makes a difference to a lot of recruits who hear HDN's whole spill about wanting to build a fence, and keeping the in state kids home, then he is last to offer them.  It just shows them that if he will lie to the whole state about that, why wouldn't he lie to them??

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: 86jacketstchamps on February 02, 2007, 04:33:42 pm

So to your point, we should only look out of state for any help at QB.  Is that why we were interested in Mike Johnson, but once he signed with Tulsa, he no longer can help us.  What about Nathan Dick, no doubt I am glad he chose us and hope he works out, but what about this signing causes you to be calm or excited about our future at QB?

Im sorry, I was typing really fast, and should have said "is a problem".  It is a problem that Arkansas hasn't offered the #1 QB recruit in the state.  Sorry about the confusion. 

hogfan98

Quote from: 86jacketstchamps on February 02, 2007, 04:33:42 pm

never said we should look out of state for help at qb.  nor did i say i was calm or excited about our future at qb.  don't put words in my mouth.  all i was saying is that being the #1 qb in arkansas doesn't make you worthy of an offer.