Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nick Saban Comments

Started by Dwight_K_Shrute, February 01, 2007, 07:04:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Dwight_K_Shrute

Was surprised not to see any threads about this latest controversy.  If you don't know what I'm talking about click here.

What is interesting is that Nick's excuse is very similar to Franks during the trial.

Haven't been on all day so if this was discussed and then moved I apologize.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphins/content/sports/epaper/2007/02/01/0201george.html

http://www.wsfa.com/Global/story.asp?S=6020796&nav=0RdE

I say good job Nick we need all the help we can get. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

berg

Unfortualtely, he will still sign a better class than us.  These things only hurt our recruiting and no one elses. >:(

elkhog

Well, I don't know Nick Saban, could really care less about him personally, but speaking as a "coonass" (true blue and dyed in the wool) I'm not offended and I don't consider the term derogatory.  Although, there are some who see it otherwise.
GO HOGS!!!

gusisthecoach

its not a racialy issue you can be black, yellow, green, white, or purple and still be a coonass.... just like folks from arkansas are hillbillies, people from the north east are F*&*(&^ damn yankees not to be confused with the people from Michigan and Indiana who are just regular damn yankees.  I got family who are proud to be coonasses and dont you think that those folks in Alabama could care less about what the media in New York is saying about his comments.. Personally I thought it was funny that a coach from LSU couldnt talk like that....

Nothing Nutt hasnt done or worse.  BY the way Nutt does have a potty mouth on him to.

Quote from: gusisthecoach on February 01, 2007, 07:40:57 pm
its not a racialy issue you can be black, yellow, green, white, or purple and still be a coonass.... just like folks from arkansas are hillbillies, people from the north east are F*&*(&^ damn yankees not to be confused with the people from Michigan and Indiana who are just regular damn yankees.  I got family who are proud to be coonasses and dont you think that those folks in Alabama could care less about what the media in New York is saying about his comments.. Personally I thought it was funny that a coach from LSU couldnt talk like that....

Nothing Nutt hasnt done or worse.  BY the way Nutt does have a potty mouth on him to.
Does he really or are you just saying that? I mean have you heard him say something specific? I've watched him on the sidelines and never have. And regardless, curse words and racially insensative words are much different. With all that being said, I spend a lot of time in that neck of the woods and the word Saban used is really not considered racial by the vast majority.

Pork Authority

According to HR at work, for some reason, I still have no right to be offended if someone calls me a cracker.

gusisthecoach

OMG watch his lips on the sidelines broad cast and yes I first hand knowledge through a friend of mine whos sister boy friend was on the same high school team with a kid who graduated two years ahead of his sister who was a walk on trainer for Arkansas and he said that Houston did use some obscene launguage

SPAL

much ado about nothing...people get their dander up over some of the most ridiculous stuff. Its not like nick tried to reschedule a funeral or anything.

mrmitchell

"Coonass" is pretty specific to Cajuns.  I can't remember ever hearing it said about any other group, and I'm sure Saban knew what he was saying.

I don't have a problem with the word, though, just with Saban.  Add my name to the list that will laugh when he's not worth the $$$millions that Alabama is blowing on him...

BartIV

I have always heard that referring to Cajuns as well.

rev. tim

Quote from: BartIV on February 01, 2007, 08:28:11 pm
I have always heard that referring to Cajuns as well.

25+ years ago I did a summer internship at a large Baptist church in Baton Rouge.  I heard the term used from the pulpit.  That doesn't make it right or wrong, it simply demonstrates that coonass is part of the vernacular in Louisiana.  I never remember anyone being offended by its usage.  There are better ways to demonstrate Saban's narcissism other than using some regional slang that no one but a reporter looking for a story hook would go after.  But, as an Irish American, let me say I am highly offended and emotionally wounded by Notre Dame's mascot.  Every time I see it I want to get drunk and start a fight.

BartIV

From one Irishman to another, i understand.

THHAWG

It is one of those words that they can say but others can't.  Even then if it is said in a good natured way it is considered alright, but it can be made into an issue if someone wants it to.  LA folks aren't real happy with Saban right now.  Also, it in no way refers to Black Americans as most of the nation will assume.  My family uses it to rib on each other.

rev. tim

Quote from: BartIV on February 01, 2007, 08:50:32 pm

Maybe we can start a support group.  Or file a class action law suit.  Or go on Oprah.  Or send the entire Notre Dame faculty, staff, administration, student body and alumni association to sensitivity training.  Don't they know how wounded we are?

pigfeet

Anyone have the link to the audio....too busy and lazy to look for it.

Newhopehog

As a Naive American I am highly offended by that FL St....sh** also....one of the reasons I hate that school so much....I would even root for Texas against them.. 

arkbengal

I'm not sure it's that big of a deal, although the Tiger fans are having some fun with it poking the Bammers.

Rsvlhog

Nothing more than Miami and LSU fans mad because he isn't their coach anymore. I have heard many jokes from coon-asses that were "coon-ass jokes". I haven't met a coon-ass that was offended by being called one not to say that they're not out there I just haven't met one. The term is about like  "redneck" which folks have on their t-shirts, back windows, and bumper stickers. People from miami don't have a clue. If I was in New york and someone called me a redneck it would probably be an insult but around here it is different.
Quote from: threeNout

I still have images of JFB, holding a shotgun behind Altman, ala Deliverance,

"Go on boy, you call them Hogs, you call 'em good"

HogasaurusRex

I married a coon-ass.  This whole idea of it being a slur is stupid!  It was a slow news day; PERIOD!

WASAHAWG70

Coon-ass doesn't offend but that "BOY" from Mississippi(McCallister) does.

Mr. Prozac

Quote from: Newhopehog on February 01, 2007, 09:03:43 pm
As a Naive American I am highly offended by that FL St....sh** also....one of the reasons I hate that school so much....I would even root for Texas against them.. 
I'm a naive American, too. I thought we would really improve our passing game this year.

silvertip

Quote from: elkhog on February 01, 2007, 07:34:30 pm
Well, I don't know Nick Saban, could really care less about him personally, but speaking as a "coonass" (true blue and dyed in the wool) I'm not offended and I don't consider the term derogatory.  Although, there are some who see it otherwise.

Then I'm sure you can enjoy this joke I used to tell back when I was a trucker, and getting next to the Texass-Looseeanna border on I-10.
Didn't matter which state I was in, but I liked to tell it most in Texass.

"What's the difference 'tween a Coonass and a dumb-ass?"

Texan: "WHUT?"

"Sabine River."

For those of you that don't know, the Sabine River is the border between Texass & Looseeanna down near the Gulf.

Man, when I was truckin' across Louisiana, I would plan it so I could stop & eat twice. Them Coonasses can cook, I GARRROANTEE!!

silvertip

Quote from: Mr. Prozac on February 02, 2007, 01:15:44 am
I'm a naive American, too. I thought we would really improve our passing game this year.

ROFLMAO!!  Great catch!

silvertip

Quote from: rev. tim on February 01, 2007, 08:55:42 pm
Quote from: BartIV on February 01, 2007, 08:50:32 pm

Maybe we can start a support group.  Or file a class action law suit.  Or go on Oprah.  Or send the entire Notre Dame faculty, staff, administration, student body and alumni association to sensitivity training.  Don't they know how wounded we are?

I once wrote a letter to Notre Dame---saying that as a part-Irishman, I resented them using the "Fighting Irish," as it played on the stereotype of the drunken, brawler Irish thug.

I told them they should be more in tune with modern political correctness.

I suggested they change their mascot name to "The Sensitive Micks."
Never got a reply.

jamie72921

Native american.

Are you a Seminole?

If not, you have no horse in the race. I am native american too.
Bless your heart

TomasPistola

I'm Scottish. What do I get besides a kilt and a stiff breeze?
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

silvertip

Quote from: Pork Authority on February 01, 2007, 07:54:36 pm
According to HR at work, for some reason, I still have no right to be offended if someone calls me a cracker.

I swear I am not making up the following. I read the transcript of the judge's decision in the case of Nolan Richardson vs the University of Arkansas.

The judge addressed the instance in which JFB was upset about Nolan calling some Arkansas fans "Redneck posters" or some such. At a banquet, Frank asked people how that would be different than someone calling Nolan a ni*#@r. So, Frank was in trouble for uttering the "N-word".

Here's the gist of what the judge said: It IS different. When black folks call white folks "rednecks" or "honkys," that is OK. In fact, it's a sign of "respect"!!

I'm not making that up. You can read it for yourself, straight from the mouth of a "Feddle Judge." Can someone tell me where to get the "Official Politically Correct Handbook"? I just caint figger this stuff out.

silvertip

Quote from: TomasPistola on February 02, 2007, 01:48:43 am
I'm Scottish. What do I get besides a kilt and a stiff breeze?

Bagpipes to blow on, to take your mind off your freezing balls.

TomasPistola

Ahhh well that's something I guess.
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

Atreyu

Coonass refers to Cajun people.

1 by 1, we loaded our guns
up on the mountain all day
and all through the night
HEYHEYHEY

Mr. Hog

I think everyone should start calling us Hillbillies, Ozark Americans !
Go Hogs Go!

Mr. Prozac

Quote from: Atreyu on February 02, 2007, 02:08:55 am

Oh, I thought it was the mythical progeny of a raccoon and a donkey, known within the Voodoo culture for it's cunning and stubbornness.

Pork Authority

Quote from: Mr. Hog on February 02, 2007, 02:09:05 am
I think everyone should start calling us Hillbillies, Ozark Americans !

I prefer Appalacian American instead of "hillbilly". 

Conway Cool Daddy

The funny thing is that when a an African American is slurred the national media parade out
Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton. When Cajun's are slurred who do they bring out?

I guess they couldn't find any Cajuns, I saw an interview with, you guessed it, Al Sharpton.

The PC world gone mad.....................
Who decided Coon Ass was derogatory anyway?

Albert Einswine

Do you not realize that FSU has the endorsement of the Seminole tribal council and works closely with them to ensure the authenticity of their Seminole depictions?  This endorsement and close relationship between FSU and the Seminole was used in FSU's successful appeal against the bleeding heart, white liberal guilt trippers that comprise the NCAA.

Neither FSU nor the Seminole really care what other so called "Native Americans" think about their situation.

"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

rev. tim

Quote from: Mr. Prozac on February 02, 2007, 02:39:29 am
Quote from: Atreyu on February 02, 2007, 02:08:55 am

Oh, I thought it was the mythical progeny of a raccoon and a donkey, known within the Voodoo culture for it's cunning and stubbornness.

I just spit Diet Coke all over my keyboard.  cccaaaannntttt.....wwrrriiteee.....aaannnyyymmmmooooorrrrrrreeeeee

rev. tim

Quote from: Albert Einswine on February 02, 2007, 08:25:15 am

Do you not realize that FSU has the endorsement of the Seminole tribal council and works closely with them to ensure the authenticity of their Seminole depictions?  This endorsement and close relationship between FSU and the Seminole was used in FSU's successful appeal against the bleeding heart, white liberal guilt trippers that comprise the NCAA.

Neither FSU nor the Seminole really care what other so called "Native Americans" think about their situation.

Yeah, but those white-PC-pukin'-addicted-to-guilt-liberals also understand the value of a $ - especially other people's $.

That probably had a little something to do with their decision.  FSU is a much bigger cash cow than say NAIA McMurry Univ. who were forced to drop "Indians" as their mascot and in protest refused to adopt a new one.  Now they're just known as "McMurry."

Reason is extinct.

Newhopehog

Quote from: jamie72921 on February 02, 2007, 01:38:48 am
Native american.

Are you a Seminole?

If not, you have no horse in the race. I am native american too.

It's my  horse and I'll put him in any race I want to....

Newhopehog

so the Seminole are the only Native Americans.....also tribal chiefs, like our pol's in Washington don't always reflect the feelings of their peoples....so it may or may not reflect how the tribe feels....and there is nothing authentic about that tomahawk chop they do during the game....   

Albert Einswine

Quote from: Newhopehog on February 02, 2007, 04:55:44 pm

so the Seminole are the only Native Americans.....also tribal chiefs, like our pol's in Washington don't always reflect the feelings of their peoples....so it may or may not reflect how the tribe feels....and there is nothing authentic about that tomahawk chop they do during the game....  

There are NO native Americans!  Some walked across an ice bridge over the Bering Sea and some came on longboats and ships across the Atlantic.  None were natives.

The former occupiers of the land couldn't hold their territory against the latter, it happens all the time.  Assimilate already.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Newhopehog

I guess you were there and can verify that they walked across the Bering Sea...I have assimilated: see I can type, think for myself and don't have to use the picture of a genius to try to imply that I might be one...I do just fine on my on..thank you....

silvertip

Quote from: Newhopehog on February 02, 2007, 04:55:44 pm

OH YEAH?? Nothing authentic about that tomahawk chop, huh?

How do YOU know what Florida State's cheer was before the white man came?

silvertip

Quote from: Newhopehog on February 02, 2007, 05:04:51 pm
I guess you were there and can verify that they walked across the Bering Sea...I have assimilated: see I can type, think for myself and don't have to use the picture of a genius to try to imply that I might be one...I do just fine on my on..thank you....

If you had a picture of a genius it wouldn't help, Geronimo.

Albert Einswine

Congratulations on your assimilation! 

No, I wasn't there, but most people believe that's how it happened.  There seems to be a pattern of settlement in the anthropological record that suggests migration from extreme northern North America southward throughout Central and South America.  It also seems that "native Americans" share many of the same outward physical features with the Eurasians across the Bering Strait.  I suppose it could all just be cooincidence.

My avatar is just a bit of humor to further enhance the cleverness of my nickname.

I'm sorry something as trivial as an athletic mascot makes you feel like a devalued victim.  I can only imagine how the Trojans, Spartans, Irish and Scots must feel. 

On second thought, since I'm descended from both the Irish and Scots I can tell you it doesn't bother me a bit and I can't possibly see how anyone could be so thin skinned as to be offended by it.

silvertip

Count your blessings (and coups) there, Newhope.

It could be worse. You could have been born black.

Keep in mind what The Daily Show's black analyst said the other night, when Jon Stewart asked him if he was excited about Black History Month:

"We would rather have casinos."  Think about it.

Newhopehog

I am not near as thin skinned as you might think..I never said it made me feel like  a victim...I stand very tall on my own don't need you or anyone else to walk upright..been doing just fine for 63 years and plan to continue to walk with my head held high....In your earlier statement you talked about the authenticity's of the FL St. portrayal of the Seminoles....news flash they do not ride horses or carry coupe sticks those were traditions of the plains tribes after the Spanish introduce horses to the Americas, nor did they wear the streaming headdress often referred to as warbonnets..they got to keep their mascot because of money period.   

Albert Einswine

Quote from: Newhopehog on February 02, 2007, 06:42:31 pm
I am not near as thin skinned as you might think..I never said it made me feel like  a victim...I stand very tall on my own don't need you or anyone else to walk upright..been doing just fine for 63 years and plan to continue to walk with my head held high....In your earlier statement you talked about the authenticity's of the FL St. portrayal of the Seminoles....news flash they do not ride horses or carry coupe sticks those were traditions of the plains tribes after the Spanish introduce horses to the Americas, nor did they wear the streaming headdress often referred to as warbonnets..they got to keep their mascot because of money period.  

That's cool.  Without the necessary resources close at hand I'll defer to your knowledge of the Seminole vs. Plains traditions and I acknowledge there are vast differences in their traditions.

Seeing that the Spanish also settled Florida, I wouldn't find it surprising if they'd also lost horses to the Seminole who then in turn learned to ride them, but maybe they didn't.

I have read several published articles that explain how the Seminole enjoy their relationship with FSU and work with the school to ensure that the depictions are respectful and have the tribal blessing.

Hogpuddin

There are Religions that can help answer all of y'alls questions. 

As for mascots, my School's mascot was 'INDIANS.'  None of us were full-blooded Native American (or whatever you choose to call it), but we were dang PROUD. >:(

elkhog

Quote from: silvertip on February 02, 2007, 01:25:31 am
Quote from: elkhog on February 01, 2007, 07:34:30 pm

Then I'm sure you can enjoy this joke I used to tell back when I was a trucker, and getting next to the Texass-Looseeanna border on I-10.
Didn't matter which state I was in, but I liked to tell it most in Texass.

"What's the difference 'tween a Coonass and a dumb-ass?"

Texan: "WHUT?"

"Sabine River."

For those of you that don't know, the Sabine River is the border between Texass & Looseeanna down near the Gulf.

Man, when I was truckin' across Louisiana, I would plan it so I could stop & eat twice. Them Coonasses can cook, I GARRROANTEE!!

LOL.  Ever heard of Boudreaux and Thibodeaux?  Those guys got some good ones.

So where on I-10 did you like to stop?  I sure do miss the food.  Rice dressing, A2-Fay, gumbo, boudin, jumbo shrimp....I need to make a trip down there.

GO HOGS!!!