Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Malzahn gets his QB

Started by g-townhog, January 30, 2007, 01:20:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

g-townhog

Durham (NC) Hillside quarterback Mike Johnson received an in-home visit over the weekend from Tulsa Co-Offensive Coordinator Gus Malzahn. Johnson says he is very impressed with the new direction of the Golden Hurricane program, which caused him to give a verbal commitment last night.

Mike Johnson committed to Tulsa
"I actually told him a couple days ago, but it just kind of became official today," Johnson said Sunday night. "Coach Malzahn came and visited, and he offered last week. We had a nice talk, and everything went real well."

Johnson made waves during his senior season, which caught the eye of many college programs, including Miami, Ohio State, Michigan State and North Carolina. Arkansas, where Malzahn coached last year, was also in the mix and hosted Johnson on a visit in December. That is when the 6-foot-1 and 210-pound field general struck up a relationship with the former Razorback offensive coordinator.

"We started to have a little bit of a relationship when I went down to Arkansas," Johnson explained. "He's the national offensive coordinator of the year. Who better to learn from right now? And he's also going to be the quarterbacks coach."

"The style of offense he's going to bring to Tulsa is going to be fun and exciting to watch over the next couple of years. Coach Malzahn has high hopes. He tells me they have high expectations the next couple of years."

Johnson will take an official visit to Tulsa this weekend. He is excited about his college choice and looks forward to joining a successful program.

"They've been to bowl games three times out of the last four years," he stated. "They're a program on the rise, and they're looking to contend for a BCS bowl game as early as next year, really."

As a senior last year, Johnson completed 65-percent of his passes for 3,142 yards and 27 touchdowns.

fu-man-soo

we chose joe chiasson over him, i guess we will see.

spudhog

at least we have casey and rojo.  ;D

SuperHog

Unless Johnson can run the ball, that type of offense won't work...at least that's what the 60-year coaching experts tell us.

I hope that kid goes to TU and throws for 10,000 yds under Gus.
Where is the outrage over the lack of an investigation by the UA into harassment of a student-athlete by a booster with EXTREMELY close personal ties to the head coach and his brother?  Instead we pay the brother $175K to act like a coach, be closely involved with the team, and occupy the same office even though he RESIGNED for "health" reasons.

Nap

I'm happy for Gus.  I remember reading a short bio about Mike Johnson and being impressed.  I think he'll be coached by one of the best there is, and we'll be hearing the name "Mike Johnson" for a while in Tulsa.
I still can't believe that Fuzzy's is gone...

Dugann

/sigh ........we are sooooooo screwed in arky land /shakes head
By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

mikeirwin

We talked to him on Press Row.
I think we'll try to have him on again.

hogsanity

guess that means the "landers award winner" wont even be playing Qb in college.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

DeltaBoy

Yea I had a dream we went 7-5 in 2007 and went to Memphis to play Tulsa and Gus hung 50 on us. The only good thing Frank Broyles announced HDN was fired the next day!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hogsNbeer

"He's the national offensive coordinator of the year. Who better to learn from right now? And he's also going to be the quarterbacks coach."

Wow....That's all I can say.....  Once again I can safely say, thanks NUTT you YAHOO!!!!!!  >:(

EastexHawg

Mike Johnson can't be very good.  In addition to Tulsa, he was only recruited by Miami, Ohio State, Oregon, Michigan State, and North Carolina (according to Rivals). 

The really good QBs are the ones HDN steals away from Baylor, Indiana, Iowa State, Missouri, Houston, Kansas, Louisiana Tech, Rice, SMU, Texas State, and UTEP.

Seriously, I have no idea how good Mike Johnson is...and how his talent level compares to Nutt's QB recruits.  I do, however, have a good idea that he will get much better coaching from Gus Malzahn at Tulsa than he would have gotten from Nutt's Academy of QB Development at Arkansas.

hogsNbeer

Has Nutt ever stolen a recruit from the likes of those schools that wasnt' born/raised in Arkansas?    Probably not!

IowaHog

Wow.  Has anyone from HDN's regime said that we're hoping to contend for a BCS game in a couple
of years?  I don't think I've heard anyone mention that...   ???  Good for Gus...
"Dorks.  They look like a couple of dorks". 
-Quentin Tarantino, apparently when asked about Hooten and Danny...

Red Tusk

we're already losing games three years from now.  ::)

If you can accept losing, you can't win.-Vince Lombardi

'Why don't they make the whole plane out of that black box stuff.'-Steven Wright

joebut18

Quote from: Dugann on January 30, 2007, 01:27:53 pm

We're screwed because Tulsa got a 2* QB (according to Rivals) from North Carolina who Arkansas didn't even offer a scholorship.....Tulsa was his only offer.  Believe me, if Ark would have offered he would have taken it.

Relax people.

HoopS

I haven't seen any of our recruits mentioning Dale as the S.E.C CotY as a reason to come here.    Strange.   They will learn soon enough about how credible that award really is.   

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

How incredible of a story would it be for Tulsa to actually be in a BCS game in 2 years?

hogsNbeer

Quote from: abostian on January 30, 2007, 01:41:54 pm
How incredible of a story would it be for Tulsa to actually be in a BCS game in 2 years?

and before Nutt sniffs one....   I'd ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

donthaveone

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 30, 2007, 01:31:14 pm
Mike Johnson can't be very good.  In addition to Tulsa, he was only recruited by Miami, Ohio State, Oregon, Michigan State, and North Carolina (according to Rivals). 

The really good QBs are the ones HDN steals away from Baylor, Indiana, Iowa State, Missouri, Houston, Kansas, Louisiana Tech, Rice, SMU, Texas State, and UTEP.

Seriously, I have no idea how good Mike Johnson is...and how his talent level compares to Nutt's QB recruits.  I do, however, have a good idea that he will get much better coaching from Gus Malzahn at Tulsa than he would have gotten from Nutt's Academy of QB Development at Arkansas.

Only OFFER was from Tulsa. Good for the kid, hope he has a good carrer. He is garunteed 2-3 televised games a year!!!!! Go Canes

brodie_hawg

He might have been looked at by those other schools but from what I remember, he did not have offers.  Joe Chaisson did have early offers from Tenn and LSU but they backed away when he did not want to commit early.  So, I think we chose the better of the two.

PulledPork

I wish our "experts" were 60, we only have "experts" that are 80 or older....

Pulled out...

PulledPork

Quote from: brodie_hawg on January 30, 2007, 01:45:03 pm
He might have been looked at by those other schools but from what I remember, he did not have offers.  Joe Chaisson did have early offers from Tenn and LSU but they backed away when he did not want to commit early.  So, I think we chose the better of the two.
anyone willing to make a bet who has the better numbers in 4yrs?

Pulled out...

HoopS

Ok, I see the pattern emerging here.....Tulsa was the only school that offered.   Let's just hide and watch what ole Gus can do with a kid nobdy else wanted.  Clearly the ones we picked up were better from the comments I see.   Let's see who develops QBs better.   Should be fun to track this.

hogfan064

This guy is a 2 star QB, big deal.  Some of you got angry when we offered 3 star Dick and 3 star Chaisson.

brodie_hawg

If you are considering passing numbers, yeah he will probably have more because he will be in a passing offense versus a run offense.  That does not make him better.

Trottsky

Well, go ahead an pencil in the NC for TU in 2008. Then Gus becomes HC at USC. Or, not. But it would be OK with me.

hogfan064

Quote from: PulledPork on January 30, 2007, 01:47:56 pm

Pulled out...

Tulsa doesn't play in the SEC so its not a fair comparison.  If the kid throws for 500 yards a game against Rice, SMU, Tulane, ECU, and the rest of CUSA its not that big a deal.

tbhogfan

Johnson is a nice pickup for Tulsa.  He is rated as a 2* QB by Rivals.  With the pickup, Tulsa now has 3 3* commits and 14 2* commits, and is ranked 8th in C-USA. 

Go Hogs!

yraciv

so I guess Malzahn doesn't think Mustain will follow him?

donthaveone

Quote from: tbhogfan on January 30, 2007, 01:53:28 pm
Johnson is a nice pickup for Tulsa.  He is rated as a 2* QB by Rivals.  With the pickup, Tulsa now has 3 3* commits and 14 2* commits, and is ranked 8th in C-USA. 

Gus ain't getting it done! 8th in the...what conference they in again? and how many teams are in this conference?

EastexHawg

January 30, 2007, 01:58:37 pm #30 Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 02:02:46 pm by EastexHawg
And which of Nutt's current QBs either had, when he signed with Arkansas...or has currently, as a 2007 recruit...offers from other big time, BCS conference programs?

hog_fan

Quote from: fade2black on January 30, 2007, 01:55:47 pm
Quote from: hogsanity on January 30, 2007, 01:28:34 pm

Were you expecting Damian Williams to play QB or are you just stupid?

He was talking about whitmore who never was going to be a QB in college to begin with.

hog_fan

Quote from: donthaveone on January 30, 2007, 01:56:56 pm

Gus ain't getting it done! 8th in the...what conference they in again? and how many teams are in this conference?

He been there what two weeks. He saved your boys Nutt butt. Wasn't for Gus Nutt would be gone.

joebut18

Pulled out...

Suupid bet...you're talking apples and oranges...Hogs don't play a pass-oriented offense.  But I will make a bet on who gets more TV exposure, who plays in more prominent bowl games and who has gained better experience playing against top talent vs. playing ECU and SMU. Get over Gus

staffhog

Dale doesn't toot his own horn like that.

donthaveone

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 30, 2007, 01:58:37 pm
And which of Nutt's current QBs either had, when he signed with Arkansas...or has currently, as a 2007 recruit...offers from other big time, BCS conference programs?

RJ (Nebraska, KSU) and Chaisson (Mizzou, A&M)

PulledPork

help fellas.......what's a "suupid bet"?  Anything like a Nassau?  Don't want to get in over my head.....

Pulled out....

dirtydoghog

Quote from: hog_fan on January 30, 2007, 02:00:27 pm

He been there what two weeks. He saved your boys Nutt butt. Wasn't for Gus Nutt would be gone.

Not sure Gus had much to do with it but I am certain that Dmac did his part to keep Nutt around. 

311Hog

Quote from: dirtydoghog on January 30, 2007, 02:10:29 pm

Not sure Gus had much to do with it but I am certain that Dmac did his part to keep Nutt around. 

ROFL denial is a serious problem man you may need to get that checked out.

Hell i would bet 100 bucks that this kid passes for more yards in 6 games then all the Hog QB's pass for the entire season combined.

EastexHawg

Quote from: donthaveone on January 30, 2007, 02:07:21 pm

In the first place, RJ is not a QB.  In the second place, I have never seen anything to indicate that Nebraska actually offered him.

I guess I missed the part about A&M offering Chaisson.  Do you have a link?

WooieSooie

Quote from: fade2black on January 30, 2007, 02:06:26 pm
Quote from: hog_fan on January 30, 2007, 01:59:35 pm
Quote from: fade2black on January 30, 2007, 01:55:47 pm
Quote from: hogsanity on January 30, 2007, 01:28:34 pm

Were you expecting Damian Williams to play QB or are you just stupid?

He was talking about whitmore who never was going to be a QB in college to begin with.

My bad.  I forgot they had given him the award this year.
No, he was talking about the position Whitmore played in HS.  Did you know Damian Williams was a WR or are you just stupid?
It's all fun and games until someone gets shot in the leg selling drugs trying to make money to buy RAZORBACK tickets!

samske

Quote from: joebut18 on January 30, 2007, 01:41:18 pm
Quote from: Dugann on January 30, 2007, 01:27:53 pm

We're screwed because Tulsa got a 2* QB (according to Rivals) from North Carolina who Arkansas didn't even offer a scholorship.....Tulsa was his only offer.  Believe me, if Ark would have offered he would have taken it.

Relax people.

Diamond in the rough maybe. 

Flashback:  2005
Pat White, Daphne, Alabama...55th rated 'athlete' by Rivals signed to QB with Rich Rodriquez at WVU.  He was a 3-star quarterback.  He outrushed Felix and outpassed DMac.  It's important to have the qb that fits the system.

Ironically, I don't believe this impacts Mitch's prospects there at all should he choose to go there.

Ross U (HDHF)

Pulled out...

His 60 year comment was directed at Broyles comment that he's "been a coach for 60 years". 

donthaveone

He is not my boy. I want Nutt out like most, I am just not going to proclaim Gus the savior of all saviors like half this board does. What is a Nutt butt anyway?

donthaveone

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 30, 2007, 02:12:17 pm
Quote from: donthaveone on January 30, 2007, 02:07:21 pm

In the first place, RJ is not a QB.  In the second place, I have never seen anything to indicate that Nebraska actually offered him.

I guess I missed the part about A&M offering Chaisson.  Do you have a link?

Scout and Rivals is your link. One has UT offering Chaisson the other doesn't.

frankwilliams

Quote from: HoopSlap on January 30, 2007, 01:41:27 pm
I haven't seen any of our recruits mentioning Dale as the S.E.C CotY as a reason to come here.    Strange.   They will learn soon enough about how credible that award really is.  

That's not true. Go read the comments of every commit and see what they say. Stop making statements without truly knowing the facts.

You guys were all over HDN because he brought this kid in who didn't have any offers, now it's the end of the world because Gus gets a commitment from him? That's idiotic.

frankwilliams

Quote from: 311Hog on January 30, 2007, 02:11:55 pm

Hell i would bet 100 bucks that this kid passes for more yards in 6 games then all the Hog QB's pass for the entire season combined.

MAKE IT 200 AND YOU'RE ON

hog_fan

Quote from: 311Hog on January 30, 2007, 02:11:55 pm

huggers,

What did D-mac do for Nutt his freshman season? The fact is Gus saved Nutt's job. You huggers can deny it all you want. His little influence made D-mac and Jones that much better. I bet you money Frank would play A-state before playing Tulsa.

spacityleopard

I thought this was a Razorback message board, not a Tulsa recruiting board.

hog_fan

Quote from: donthaveone on January 30, 2007, 02:30:55 pm

He is not my boy. I want Nutt out like most, I am just not going to proclaim Gus the savior of all saviors like half this board does. What is a Nutt butt anyway?

It's a figure of speech.