Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who thinks we are their biggest rival?

Started by blue, January 28, 2007, 09:04:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

blue

I hear people talk about all of our rivals. Who circles Arkansas as their biggest win?

Pigonometry

Quote from: blue on January 28, 2007, 09:04:10 pm
I hear people talk about all of our rivals. Who circles Arkansas as their biggest win?

In basketball, I say Ole Miss.  Seems like they always have a couple of Arkansas kids on their team and play their best game of the year against us.
Baseball is simple, but never easy.

berg

razornole

lol no he was asking who gives a rip about playing the Hogs and I don't know. 
Broyles is Porter Waggoner trying to play hip-hop - John Brummett

atekido

blue

I honestly did not mean to start another anti JFB thread, but isn't that somewhat his responsibility, especially since we have entered the SEC. Do you guys think it is more of something that happens as a biproduct of a winning tradition?

Hong Kong Sooey

RBLtoHOG

In any fight, life or football, its the guy who is willing to die who will win that inch. If I'm gonna have any life anymore its because I'm still willing to fight and die for that inch....because, that's what living is!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: blue on January 28, 2007, 09:04:10 pm

Any team from the Ohio Valley Conference.
Go Hogs Go!

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

atekido

i wish we would have kept playing USC as first game.  i think that would have turned into a HUGE rivalry.

razornole

Quote from: mrp on January 28, 2007, 09:18:28 pm
Since Texas is not an option anymore....that has been one helluva void....no rival exists.  Remember Baz personally tried to make LSU the rival but other than the boot trophy I don't think that one took.

Texass didn't care about us.  They have OU and eATMe.  We don't beat LSU enough for it to have any meaning to them. 

Face it to good teams we are Ole Piss or Kentucky

wacohog

January 28, 2007, 09:30:45 pm #12 Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 09:32:45 pm by wacohog
Quote from: razornole on January 28, 2007, 09:27:20 pm

Since Texas is not an option anymore....that has been one helluva void....no rival exists.  Remember Baz personally tried to make LSU the rival but other than the boot trophy I don't think that one took.

Texass didn't care about us.  They have OU and eATMe.  We don't beat LSU enough for it to have any meaning to them. 

[/quote]

Texas did care alot about us back in the day.

If Tenn were our permanent East opponent I think a rivalry would develop

dhornjr1

If "we" means darksiders then Broyles and Nutt would consider us their biggest rivals.

WooieSooie

It's all fun and games until someone gets shot in the leg selling drugs trying to make money to buy RAZORBACK tickets!

razornole

I agree LSU would care if we did beat them esp. with something on the line.

None of the horns I've spoken to agree with your opinion.  If you are third on somebody list as great game looking forward to it, um well that says a bunch

Hawg2k

Quote from: razornole on January 28, 2007, 09:27:20 pm

A real rivalry has to mean something to each side ALL the time. We (Arkansas) always thought of Texas as a rivalry but as far as Texas was concerned we were just another team gunning for them. Texas vs. OU and Texas vs. aTm are REAL-HATE-YOUR-GUTS rivals just as Ohio State / Michigan, Bama / Auburn, Florida / Georgia, Army / Navy, USC / UCLA. These games attract national attention every time they line it up. Our only natural rivalry could be Ark State but we all know why that will never materialize.

CCintherock

I grew up partly in Texas as a kid, they don't give a rats about Arkansas.  I think SMU was the last rivalry we had.  ;)
Nutt is a winner of the losers and a loser to the winners. Sounds like a Mediocre loser or winner.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: atekido on January 28, 2007, 09:19:46 pm
i wish we would have kept playing USC as first game.  i think that would have turned into a HUGE rivalry.

ha ha ha ha for who???????????????
Go Hogs Go!

Dwight_K_Shrute

Sad but true, we are the red headed (with grey temples) step child of the SEC.  Go down every team and there is one or more teams much more important than we are.  Some aren't even close.  SC is probably the same, but their saving grace is they play their number one rival Clemson the last game of the year every year.  Even though they aren't in the same conference it's huge for both.

Sadly we will never have a game that's huge for both sides until in the year 2250 (after Frank's nuclear battery gives out) and we play UCA, or ASU.

LSU has a slim outside chance but we would have to beat them in embarrassing fashion for 3 or more years in a row.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

momahog

LSwho,  we will never "embarass" them 3 years in a row or 1 year for that matter
as long as the cast of CLOWNS that currently have control on the HILL, stll have
have control.

In other words we have no rival that circles their calendar for us except like someone mentioned earlier, Tulsa when we used to play them every year from
the 50's thru muc of the 80's, usually the first game of the year.

About every 3rd year they gave us more than we wanted and they did beat Broyles either 3 or 4 times in his 19 years here. Shameful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  So I would have to agree with that poster who said Tulsa because they are the closest thing to an opponent who circled us every year at least in the last 50 years or more.

cityhog

Kentucky in Basketball for a VERY short period when we first entered the league.  Back in the SWC Houston I would say in basketball.  Not been anyone's rival for a long time.  However, if we keep beating Auburn and Bama on a semi regular basis, I think the hate will be there eventually.

The real Hogules

Quote from: berg on January 28, 2007, 09:06:24 pm
no one.

Arkansas St. if we played them.

That's EXACTLY what I was thinking!
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

superjw

Already been said but if we would play them - Arkansas St.  Anyone still have the old bumper sticker that said, "How Long Will The Hogs Run?"  It had an Indian chasing a razorback......bet JFB has one in his scrap book....
The Law of Insanity is this - doing things the same way and expecting different results.

LSUfan20

Of all SEC schools, LSU fans are least concerned about Arkansas. They mostly hate Auburn, Ole Miss, Florida, and now Alabama much, much more.

NuttinItUp

In football, LSU. In basketball, probably Kentucky.

RBLtoHOG

I think Bama would be a good rival... it seems that no matter how good one team is and how bad the other one is, its usually a close game
In any fight, life or football, its the guy who is willing to die who will win that inch. If I'm gonna have any life anymore its because I'm still willing to fight and die for that inch....because, that's what living is!

AFWarrior83

Quote from: RBLtoHOG on January 29, 2007, 01:16:31 am
I think Bama would be a good rival... it seems that no matter how good one team is and how bad the other one is, its usually a close game

Bama likes to think they are too good for us, but we always play them close, and win quite often... I don't know how things are going to be with Saban down there? Anyways to the question, I think Miss St, Ole Miss, and USC think of us as rivals, but no team really just can't stand us.
Hogville member since 2005.

stchane

Quote from: AFWarrior83 on January 29, 2007, 01:20:25 am

Bama likes to think they are too good for us, but we always play them close, and win quite often... I don't know how things are going to be with Saban down there? Anyways to the question, I think Miss St, Ole Miss, and USC think of us as rivals, but no team really just can't stand us.

Yall can blame JFB all you want to for joining the SEC.  But he looked at it like he looks at everything.  "What will bring in the most dollars?"

Joining the Big 12 at that time wasn't very lucrative.  Quite frankly, I'm glad we joined the SEC.  This is the best conference in America, year in, and year out.  Winning the SECCG means something, whereas it means nothing in the Big12, or Big East or ACC.  By winning these conferences, your better than Texas, OU, Nebraska, A&M; Louisville, WV; Miami, Florida St. Va. Tech. 

Thats 10 teams from 3 conferences.  By winning the SEC, it means your better than FL, LSU, Tennessee, Auburn, Georgia, and Bama.  There should be no dispute after beating out such SEC teams for the league title that, on a year-to-year basis, that team is the best in college football.   It may not happen every year, but more likely than not I'd take the SEC Champ vs. anyone. 

Thats what I like about being the SEC.  We may not win it every year, even though we should be there a damn sight more than we have been, but when we do make it there, it has much more meaning than when another crappy team makes their conference championship from a lesser conference. 

Now when we get ridda HDN and JFB, we'll go to, and win a lot more of those games; and be competitive year in and year out like we are at track and baseball.
For all your Razorback Football Needs: http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=stchane

AFWarrior83

Quote from: stchane on January 29, 2007, 01:54:13 am
Quote from: AFWarrior83 on January 29, 2007, 01:20:25 am

Yall can blame JFB all you want to for joining the SEC.  But he looked at it like he looks at everything.  "What will bring in the most dollars?"

Joining the Big 12 at that time wasn't very lucrative.  Quite frankly, I'm glad we joined the SEC.  This is the best conference in America, year in, and year out.  Winning the SECCG means something, whereas it means nothing in the Big12, or Big East or ACC.  By winning these conferences, your better than Texas, OU, Nebraska, A&M; Louisville, WV; Miami, Florida St. Va. Tech. 

Thats 10 teams from 3 conferences.  By winning the SEC, it means your better than FL, LSU, Tennessee, Auburn, Georgia, and Bama.  There should be no dispute after beating out such SEC teams for the league title that, on a year-to-year basis, that team is the best in college football.   It may not happen every year, but more likely than not I'd take the SEC Champ vs. anyone. 

Thats what I like about being the SEC.  We may not win it every year, even though we should be there a damn sight more than we have been, but when we do make it there, it has much more meaning than when another crappy team makes their conference championship from a lesser conference. 

Now when we get ridda HDN and JFB, we'll go to, and win a lot more of those games; and be competitive year in and year out like we are at track and baseball.

Have we ever won an SEC Championship? I only know about 2 SEC "West" titles... I'd take a Big XII Championship and a BCS bowl over never winning an SEC Championship and NO BCS bowl...
Hogville member since 2005.

Hawgvillain

Hard question...I'd say Mizzou is a good basketball option - I remember the Simeon and Sameon days or whatever those twins were named.  And, now with Mike A. as their head coach they could be a pretty good rival.  In football, it's a real tough call LSU being it but we have consistently to be 1 and 2 in the west...with our last game of the year being for the SEC West title. 

Hoglicious21

I don't know if their so much as to call theirself a "rival",....

but whenever Tennessee comes into town I get sooooo

tired of hearing "Rocky Top" blaring from their Tahoes... 8)

Pigskin_Porker

There are really only a handful of top notch rivals out there and Arkansas unfortunately isn't part of one!  With a little bit of history w/ LSU in fb and our proximity it could develop into one but only if we started to dominate them for a while and start treating them pretty crappy just like they treat everybody else.  But without dominate wins our heckling, etc. would ring hollow!  The only other shot we'd have would be with Ole Miss, but that would still never be as big as the egg bowl to mississipians.

Despite TX/OU and TX/Ta&m, TX/AR meant something big during the old SWC days.  Any TX fan who says otherwise is just talking crap because it's pretty much a moot point now and they know it rubs us the wrong way.  I have kinfolk in Ft. Worth, TX and whenever we play them in FB or recently in BB they got a big earful from the burnt orange faithful.  Also their supposed rich tradition of TX football is forever linked to the Razorbacks (i.e. 1969 Shootout and all those conference rings we got instead of them which in their overrated case usually meant a possible shot at a NC)

Kentucky in BB could've evolved into a rivalry, but obviously we've screwed it up over the last 5 -7 years!  Ole Miss in BB could become something maybe??
"ATHLETICS IS A MINDSET.  WINNERS THINK DIFFERENT. I SHOULD STOP SAYING 'THINK' BECAUSE WINNERS DON'T THINK, THEY JUST DO IT."                                                                                            -- COACH JOHN McDONNELL  (42 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS)                                                

. . .  Es ist verdammt hart, das Beste zu sein . . .

Pigskin_Porker

I'm with you there on "Rocky Top" but I think the whole South feels that way! :D
"ATHLETICS IS A MINDSET.  WINNERS THINK DIFFERENT. I SHOULD STOP SAYING 'THINK' BECAUSE WINNERS DON'T THINK, THEY JUST DO IT."                                                                                            -- COACH JOHN McDONNELL  (42 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS)                                                

. . .  Es ist verdammt hart, das Beste zu sein . . .

Hoglicious21

Quote from: Pigskin_Porker on January 29, 2007, 02:22:11 am
I'm with you there on "Rocky Top" but I think the whole South feels that way! :D

I guess that's the agony we must contend with! ::) ::)

jbcarol

January 29, 2007, 05:19:07 am #36 Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 05:32:26 am by jbcarol
Quote from: atekido on January 28, 2007, 09:19:46 pm

That's a good thought but a lot times teams don't like to play an in-conference game as the first game of the season.  They like to tune up and work out some kinks and then take on an in-conference game.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Quote from: Hoglicious21 on January 29, 2007, 02:36:31 am
Quote from: Pigskin_Porker on January 29, 2007, 02:22:11 am

I guess that's the agony we must contend with! ::) ::)

That's a good point.  In '92 their fans were gracious, put us up for the night and broke out the filets.  At the stadium we were alone and sitting between "Bubba Ray" and "Mr. Vol Fan".  It was a down year for the boys and Tennessee was looking to move to #1 in the polls.  Then there was a punt return for a TD and next thing we are lining up for a game-winning FG.  I was about to get into some people's faces when Mr. jb gives me a bear hug and says, "When this goes thru, let's walk out of here cool and calm.  We still have to ride the Volunteer fan bus back to the park and ride."  When it split the uprights with a twinkle in his eye he started kicking chairs and yelling fire Majors just trying to keep up.  But better yet he proposed just before the Cotton Bowl on Jan. 1, 1990 and he wore his first hog hat and hog nose right out there.  Tennessee was good memories.

But more importantly, where do you get that lip gloss?  That's not what I'm getting at Wal-Mart.

jbcarol

January 29, 2007, 05:53:18 am #38 Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 05:56:17 am by jbcarol
Quote from: superjw on January 28, 2007, 11:34:37 pm
Already been said but if we would play them - Arkansas St.  Anyone still have the old bumper sticker that said, "How Long Will The Hogs Run?"  It had an Indian chasing a razorback......bet JFB has one in his scrap book....

For the Hog Fan.  Do not fear the in-state schools!  Play your hyphenated-schools guarantee games with in-state schools and keep the wealth in state.  Mr. jb reports that in basketball Louisville was feeling uppity and wanted a regularly scheduled game with KY that coach "JB" Hall resisted due to losing state fan base, recruiting, whatever.  CBS tried to do their part by ensuring they would meet early in the NCAA Tourney but KY would tank to a Middle Tenn. St. and voila, no matchup.  Finally the dream game #1 occurs in the Tourney and its an overtime classic.  The KY State Legislature intervenes and the schools have to play in basketball.  In one of greatest cases of be careful what you ask for because you might get it, Kentucky beats Louisville 3 out of every 4 years.  UofL's Denny Crum was set to be the Frank Broyles of Louisville but this very series ends his run and Rick Pitino gets the UofL job.  Today Crum and "JB" Hall host a radio program together and are buds.  While Pitino was at KY he opened it up and played all state schools (the others all at Lexington) to keep a lot of the guarantee games in state.  Western KY even won one year but the world did not come to an end.  Now the exhibition games are even against schools that are the KY equivalent to Ouachita in AR. 

What's cool is that the football rivalry began in '94 and KY dominated early.  Then Louisville started getting better and later started kicking KY off the field and talking some smack (from the head coach).  KY could no longer be contect to stay below mediocre in the SEC.  KY even lobbied to not play the game as the opening game so that it would NOT be on national TV.  A Sports Columnist offered a prize to a person with the best answer to the question, "What would even help KY to play Louisville later in the season?"  The winning answer was that there would be more weeks available for a possible asteroid to strike the UofL football team, otherwise he had nothing.  Then KY's President started talking smack about UofL.  In the end it was an impetus for KY to get better.

All this to say, in-state football can be fun, very fun, and more when you have a serious advantage in facilities and around the state support.  Do not be afraid.

vol_in_ar

I would say Ole Miss, but you have to remember the Egg Bowl.

vol_in_ar

Quote from: Hoglicious21 on January 29, 2007, 02:13:23 am
I don't know if their so much as to call theirself a "rival",....

but whenever Tennessee comes into town I get sooooo

tired of hearing "Rocky Top" blaring from their Tahoes... 8)

This year you can hear all you want on Cumberland Ave, when you travel to Knoxville for the Nov 10th game..

jbcarol

Quote from: vol_in_ar on January 29, 2007, 05:57:49 am

When Mr. jb asked his buddy the Vol Fan about the old beer barrel rivalry with KY at the end of the year -- Well after he got through laughing he said the KY and Vandy games may have felt like rivalries on one side but for UT it was chalk it up two wins at the end of the season.  What rivalry?  I loved that :)

hogfan064

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on January 28, 2007, 10:00:43 pm
Sad but true, we are the red headed (with grey temples) step child of the SEC.  Go down every team and there is one or more teams much more important than we are.  Some aren't even close.  SC is probably the same, but their saving grace is they play their number one rival Clemson the last game of the year every year.  Even though they aren't in the same conference it's huge for both.

USC fans also have UGA as a big rival since both schools have played each other about 60 times.   USC is similar to Arkansas because many of its rivals are in the ACC.  Clemson, UNC, and NC State are very hated by USC and in the next 2 years USC will play all 3.

wacohog

Quote from: razornole on January 28, 2007, 09:33:37 pm
I agree LSU would care if we did beat them esp. with something on the line.

None of the horns I've spoken to agree with your opinion.  If you are third on somebody list as great game looking forward to it, um well that says a bunch

well,  I've lived here for 39 yrs,  and have one of my degrees from a UT school,  so I do have a reason for my opinion.  Of course,  during thattime in the SWC,  it was often UT or Ark that won the conference...thus the rivalry.  The aggies didn't usually factor into the mix until they bought Sherrill.

wacohog

Quote from: vol_in_ar on January 29, 2007, 05:57:49 am

This just makes me want to puke

Dugann

Think if Arkansas keeps beating Alabama in sports next 5-10 years might be a notch under Auburn for them..they already really really hate us.
By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

RedSatinHog

Absolutely no one else regards the U of A as their biggest game in any sport.

For Ole Miss, it's Mississippi State.

For Mississippi State, it's Ole Miss.

For Kentucky, it's Louisville, then Tennessee.

For Alabama, their big game is Auburn, and vice versa.

For Georgia, it is a toss-up between GT and Florida.

For Florida, it's FSU.

For Tennessee, it's Florida.

For South Carolina, it's Clemson.

For LSU, it's Alabama.

I don't know if Vandy even has a rival.

Texas never viewed us as even their No. 2 rival.  For them, it's A&M, then OU.
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

RedSatinHog

Quote from: Dugann on January 29, 2007, 07:16:12 am
Think if Arkansas keeps beating Alabama in sports next 5-10 years might be a notch under Auburn for them..they already really really hate us.

They don't really hate us.  They just got caught looking down their nose at us, and they consider it an insult to lose to us.
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

Nashville Fan

Quote from: AKHogsHoopsFan on January 29, 2007, 07:36:10 am

For Florida, it's FSU.

For LSU, it's Alabama.

Not true everyone considers us the team to beat...... in track.
Pittman or Bust!

hogfan064

Quote from: AKHogsHoopsFan on January 29, 2007, 07:36:10 am

For Florida, it's FSU.

For LSU, it's Alabama.

Vandy has Tennessee