Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Whos the Best Athlete of Their time?

Started by ArchitectHog, January 26, 2007, 08:56:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WarEagle

Vincent Edward "Bo" Jackson.

The man was simply unreal.  And for whoever mentioned that he was not in the Olympics, Bo could have had a shot at the Olympics in Track and Field, but decided he didn't have the time to focus on it (was a little busy w/ a couple of other sports).

Definitely not saying that Bo was the most dominant athlete of his time or in his sport.  That would probably be Tiger, or maybe MJ or Babe Ruth (w/ Federer having a shot at it in the future), but for straight up athletic ability, my money is on the man from Bessemer, Alabama.  I still get upset when I think about what could have been if not for his injury.
I have descended into college football's Grand Canyon.  I have stood in its Alps.  I have gazed at its ocean sunset.  I have attended a game at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, Alabama and I've been changed forever. ~ Bud Poliquin

Mister_BS

Quote from: WarEagle on January 26, 2007, 12:45:44 pm

The man was simply unreal.  And for whoever mentioned that he was not in the Olympics, Bo could have had a shot at the Olympics in Track and Field, but decided he didn't have the time to focus on it (was a little busy w/ a couple of other sports).

Definitely not saying that Bo was the most dominant athlete of his time or in his sport.  That would probably be Tiger, or maybe MJ or Babe Ruth (w/ Federer having a shot at it in the future), but for straight up athletic ability, my money is on the man from Bessemer, Alabama.  I still get upset when I think about what could have been if not for his injury.
he was amazing. i was so glad when he chose baseball, although he was more dominant in football

i doubt he would've qualified for the olympics, even though he certainly had sprinter's speed. in this age of specialization, i'd bet the house he wouldn't have made it

Mister_BS

Here's the list...

Jim Thorpe (1900-20)
Babe Ruth (1920-30)
Jesse Owens (1930-40)
Babe Didrickson Zaharias (1940-50) -- feel free to argue
Jim Brown (1950-60) -- retired after 1965 season
Bill Russell (1960-70)
Secretariat (1970-80)
Bo Jackson (1980-90) -- or was it Carl Lewis?
Michael Jordan (1990-2000)
Tiger Woods (2000-...)

8)

hogfan064

Quote from: Dr. Kenneth Noisewater on January 26, 2007, 12:34:59 pm
Quote from: ThisLittlePiggie on January 26, 2007, 12:22:52 pm
Quote from: Mister_BS on January 26, 2007, 09:56:35 am
Quote from: R_Chi_TeKHoG on January 26, 2007, 09:32:39 am
Quote from: BILLYBOB on January 26, 2007, 09:30:33 am
Ali
you think that Tyson could have beaten him in his prime. Guess we'll never know

no way, no how, at no time. not unless it was tyson in his prime and ali on the verge of retirement

ali was the best combination of size and speed, ability to take a punch, deliver a flurry or a big blow, along with intelligence of any boxer ever

I guess it's a matter of opinion whether or not Cassius Clay aka Mohammed Ali could take a punch or not. From his speech and motor skills he may not have been taking those punches as well as it appeared at the time.

The parkinson's causes that, his mind is still there so he isnt punch drunk. His doctors still dont know if boxing had anything to do with it. With that being said, im sure it didnt help.

Ali is infact still a bright man, he just doesn't appear to be.  With that said the fight with Larry Holmes was a sad thing to watch.

oldfart

January 26, 2007, 12:53:07 pm #54 Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 12:56:00 pm by oldfart
Jim Thorpe played baseball for John McGraw's New York Giants. Thorpe also won the decathlon AND pentathlon (no longer a men's Olympic event) in the 1912 Olympics, a feat not accomplished before or since.

So, to argue your line of thinking, Bo was never dominant on the world's biggest stage: the Olympic Games.

Thorpe was the best college football player before pro football began. He led a small unknown school to wins against the top powers of the day. and he was the first marqee man in the NFL.

Thorpe was chosen the greatest athlete of the first half-century.

Bo was phenomenal but didn't dominate his era the way Thorpe did. Case closed.

[/quote]

Bo's career was cut short, so as far as dominance in an era is concerned, we'll never know. That being said, I had no idea Thorpe played for McGraw. And you bring up a good point regarding the Olympics.
[/quote]

Thorpes major league career spanned several years, im not sure how many. He was not the greatest of hitters but when you consider that he also played pro football, pro baseball, and his college and olympic feats, he would certainly have to rank in the top two or three.  Bo Jackson probably had higher rankings in both football and baseball than Thorpe and certainly was in a different era.  Would be close between these two on a level field and similar eras.

Hawgz4Life

jkcrunch

Quote from: Dr. Kenneth Noisewater on January 26, 2007, 09:13:14 am
Jim Brown or Bo Jackson

I dont know if many people know this but a lot of people consider Jim Brown as the best Lacrosse Player to ever live, thats right i said Lacrosse

And he was their place kicker at Syracuse

WarEagle

For people who say that Bo should not be considered b/c he didn't win championships and therefore wasn't "successful" I'm going to completely mix metaphors and make a kind of weird comparison.  Bo Jackson to Jimi Hendrix.  Both careers cut short way too soon.  Neither was super "dominant" as far as results, but their work speaks for itself.

Bo won SEC championships at Auburn, but never won a national championship, a Super Bowl or a World Series.  Jimi Hendrix was technically a one hit wonder.  He didn't really have that much success on the charts.  But no one (with any sense) would ever say that Britney Spears is a better musician than Hendrix, even though Spears has more hit singles and has sold more albums...

Jimi Hendrix = Best Guitar Player Ever

Bo Jackson = Best Athlete Ever

Now don't go flaming me, I know the comparison is a stretch (and that Hendrix was an innovator, not just a performer)...just throwin' it out there.
I have descended into college football's Grand Canyon.  I have stood in its Alps.  I have gazed at its ocean sunset.  I have attended a game at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, Alabama and I've been changed forever. ~ Bud Poliquin

stchane

I agree that Thorpe is no worse than 3.  But my vote has to go to Ali.  He transcends sports.  I'm having a hard time thinking of anyone else who has done that.
For all your Razorback Football Needs: http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=stchane

jkcrunch

Gump hands down he ran across America ten times in 2.5 hour movie and still had time to become ping pong champion

jkcrunch

Quote from: WarEagle on January 26, 2007, 01:04:10 pm
For people who say that Bo should not be considered b/c he didn't win championships and therefore wasn't "successful" I'm going to completely mix metaphors and make a kind of weird comparison.  Bo Jackson to Jimi Hendrix.  Both careers cut short way too soon.  Neither was super "dominant" as far as results, but their work speaks for itself.

Bo won SEC championships at Auburn, but never won a national championship, a Super Bowl or a World Series.  Jimi Hendrix was technically a one hit wonder.  He didn't really have that much success on the charts.  But no one (with any sense) would ever say that Britney Spears is a better musician than Hendrix, even though Spears has more hit singles and has sold more albums...

Jimi Hendrix = Best Guitar Player Ever

Bo Jackson = Best Athlete Ever

Now don't go flaming me, I know the comparison is a stretch (and that Hendrix was an innovator, not just a performer)...just throwin' it out there.

Bo yes by far and someone doubt he could have made the olympic team think again there is not a person during his time that was more committed to sucess than Bo.   He could barely talk because of a severe stutter, yet he was determine to make sure he earned a degree which he did.  He did not just play baseball like Deion tried he became a baseball player.   

Silver Hog

BrooklynRoss

On Wilt (from Wikipedia):

Chamberlain also earned accolades in other sports. In track and field, he high jumped 6 feet 6 inches, ran the 440 in 49.0 seconds, ran the 880 in 1:58.3, threw the shotput 53 feet 4 inches, and long jumped 22 feet while still a high school student[5]. At the University of Kansas, he ran the 100-yard dash in 10.9 seconds, threw the shotput 56 feet, triple jumped more than 50 feet, and won the high jump in the Big Eight track and field championships three straight years[6]. He also played professional volleyball in the late 1970s (when he founded and starred in a pro league, the International Volleyball Association), and auto racing. He flirted with boxing, and he was offered a pro football contract by the Kansas City Chiefs in 1966. He also was an actor, celebrity and businessman after his playing career concluded. In 1984, he played a supporting role alongside Arnold Schwarzenegger in the film Conan the Destroyer.

He's also unofficially noted for a few other somewhat athletic endeavors involving strength and endurance about which I will not go into detail.
I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

cosmodrum

Quote from: WarEagle on January 26, 2007, 12:45:44 pm

Yeah, for athletes that I'VE seen play, Bo was the best. But I'm only 27. I sort of had a love/hate relationship with Bo Jackson. Being from KC I'm a pathetic Royals fan. I got to see him play once when I was twelve. Cheap seats behind left field. He made a sliding catch (I swear he seemed to have slid like 5-6 yards) and jacked a solo shot to right field. The entire stadium at one point was chanting, "BO! BO! BO! BO!" I was captivated. But he was also a Raider, i.e. the lowest life form.

I gotta admit, though, even as a Chiefs fan, I tuned in to watch Raider games just to see that guy.
Go away, batin'

RedRiverHog

Quote from: cosmodrum on December 23, 2011, 12:45:49 pm
Then I luuuuuvs the dick.

"Error of opinion may be tolerated where reason is free to combat it"  - Thomas Jefferson

"You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." Ayn Rand

badIntentions

I can talk better than Lou Holtz with spoonfull of peanut butter in my mouth.

badIntentions

Quote from: RedRiverHog on January 26, 2007, 02:25:58 pm
Ali...

"Of Their Time" wouldnt Ty Cobb be yours. Condsidering he is in your "Time"(black&white TV)...old man
I can talk better than Lou Holtz with spoonfull of peanut butter in my mouth.

jamie72921

Quote from: TushCrush on January 26, 2007, 10:27:53 am
Ali

no way, no how, at no time. not unless it was tyson in his prime and ali on the verge of retirement

ali was the best combination of size and speed, ability to take a punch, deliver a flurry or a big blow, along with intelligence of any boxer ever

Word ...

Ali got lit up in his "prime" by some lesser boxers than Tyson.

In one fight he litterally got knokced out, saved by the bell, and didn't answer the bell for the next round but wasn't declared loser because his corner claimed he was having trouble with the tape on his gloves. The total delay was around 6 to 8 minutes until he was "ready" again.

He had another controversial decision go his way in his "prime" where a nobody beat the crap out of him and he was still declared winner. It is pretty well accepted as well that the Liston fights were flops and these are the fights his "prime" is based on.

Tyson (pre Don King) and "prime" Ali would have been good fights. Having watched both of them I would have to give the edge to pre Don King Tyson.

No question that Ali had the better carreer however.
Bless your heart

MCPeePants

Right now, the most dominant player in any sport is clearly Roger Federer.

ConcreteHog

Last 20 yrs...
Endurance type sport.....Lance Armstrong
Skill type sport...Tiger
Physical sport...Bo Jackson

ThisLittlePiggie

Quote from: jkcrunch on January 26, 2007, 01:03:43 pm
Quote from: Dr. Kenneth Noisewater on January 26, 2007, 09:13:14 am
Jim Brown or Bo Jackson

I dont know if many people know this but a lot of people consider Jim Brown as the best Lacrosse Player to ever live, thats right i said Lacrosse

And he was their place kicker at Syracuse

And the greatest wife/girlfriend beater in the history of sports. Up until Rae Carruthers broke his record.

WarEagle

Quote from: ConcreteHog on January 26, 2007, 02:41:04 pm
Last 20 yrs...
Endurance type sport.....Lance Armstrong
Skill type sport...Tiger
Physical sport...Bo Jackson

That's a good breakdown.  It really is tough to compare different types of athletes.  Makes sense to put them in different categories.

Hogules

the big cat ernie ladd & dirty dick murdock

woodhog14

Quote from: Cooper on January 26, 2007, 09:13:52 am
Michael Jordan

No doubt about it.  The best one to ever lace them up!!!!!!!

RedRiverHog

Quote from: badIntentions on January 26, 2007, 02:34:02 pm
Quote from: RedRiverHog on January 26, 2007, 02:25:58 pm
Ali...

"Of Their Time" wouldnt Ty Cobb be yours. Condsidering he is in your "Time"(black&white TV)...old man

You know it's talking about the Athletes time moron....

And wouldn't yours be something like one of the Mario Brothers or Ms. Pac Man beings your not old enough to have ever seen any of the people being talked about in this thread???
Quote from: cosmodrum on December 23, 2011, 12:45:49 pm
Then I luuuuuvs the dick.

"Error of opinion may be tolerated where reason is free to combat it"  - Thomas Jefferson

"You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." Ayn Rand

Hoop

Blaming Alex Wood for any problems with the offense is like blaming a spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being fat.-Swino

Hiring Dana Altman would be about as sexy as waking up in the morning to find your grandma with one tit in the coffee and the other in the oatmeal. -Wilsonhog

MHHog

I don't think we've seen a hockey player on here yet. For the record, I don't know much about hockey, but I figured someone on here would have mentioned one. Also, not a soccer player.

LZH

Hog Fan from Camden

Quote from: Woopsie on January 26, 2007, 10:08:51 am
Dave Winfield,

Most of you know him by his hall of fame baseball career.  However is is one of two athletes to ever be drafted in three different pro sports and the only one to be drafted in four!!!

he was drafted by the

San Diego Padres
Minnesota Vikings (despite not playing college football)
Utah Stars (ABA)
Atlanta Hawks (NBA)

The padres also placed him directly into the Majors with no minor league stint.  That is truly rare in the modern era. 

He has to at least be  given some consideration.

Very interesting.  I didn't know this about Paul W!

STRILE

Ali

Tyson, in his prime, would have killed Ali.  In fact, I don't believe Ali would have ever obtained the title.  This is true of all of the atheletes who played 40 years ago.  Smaller, slower, and less skilled.  Old timers won't like this but it's true.  Jim Brown would have been an average back, but probably would have been moved to defense.  Just my opinion.
"Strile is critical to Hogville.  He accounts for 0.00077% of all posts"  anonymous moderator

Pigskin_Porker

"ATHLETICS IS A MINDSET.  WINNERS THINK DIFFERENT. I SHOULD STOP SAYING 'THINK' BECAUSE WINNERS DON'T THINK, THEY JUST DO IT."                                                                                            -- COACH JOHN McDONNELL  (42 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS)                                                

. . .  Es ist verdammt hart, das Beste zu sein . . .

Mister_BS

Quote from: STRILE on January 26, 2007, 06:36:45 pm
Ali

Tyson, in his prime, would have killed Ali.  In fact, I don't believe Ali would have ever obtained the title.  This is true of all of the atheletes who played 40 years ago.  Smaller, slower, and less skilled.  Old timers won't like this but it's true.  Jim Brown would have been an average back, but probably would have been moved to defense.  Just my opinion.
time for bed, junior. "less skilled" athletes play today, when it's all about show and less about fundamentals and "skill"

Ali would've used your thug, Tyson, like ... well, like Tyson used his wife, Robyn Givens

and for all those uninformed posters above, Ali's "prime" ended during his 3.5 year layoff. After that, he fought on savvy, skill and less ability than he possessed in the 60s. But he still became champ two different times

Newhopehog

well Thorpe was a superior athlete at football, baseball and track so I vote for Thorpe.

go hogues

Laird Hamilton has to be in the top three of OUR time.  This guy surfs the biggest waves on the planet, crosses huge expanses of ocean on a paddleboard and has an insane workout regimen that he goes through to prepare for such a lifestyle.  The dude is almost superhuman.
Not many people include him because he competes in a less visible sport, but clearly he belongs way up there.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

mbgrulz

Quote from: hogfan064 on January 26, 2007, 10:18:28 am
Ali

Ali was amazing.  I honestly believe that man could've been a all pro RB in the NFL.  He was just that great of an athlete and so ahead of his time in the way he spoke and thought. 

I'd have to go with Ali or Jackson as best athlete ever.   
ali was beaten 2 times in his prime. he was a great boxer, but i do think he gets more credit than he deserves for the gift of gab that he was given.

tyson was an animal in his prime and would try to knock your head off. ali was more of a true "boxer."

its not the most fun thing to admit, but as bad a guy as mike tyson is, he might've beaten ali if they  fought in their primes.

people always want to give the nod to the past, but sometimes nostalgia gets in the way of judgement.

Mister_BS

Quote from: mbgrulz on January 27, 2007, 01:29:25 am
Quote from: hogfan064 on January 26, 2007, 10:18:28 am
Ali

Ali was amazing.  I honestly believe that man could've been a all pro RB in the NFL.  He was just that great of an athlete and so ahead of his time in the way he spoke and thought. 

I'd have to go with Ali or Jackson as best athlete ever.  
ali was beaten 2 times in his prime. he was a great boxer, but i do think he gets more credit than he deserves for the gift of gab that he was given.

tyson was an animal in his prime and would try to knock your head off. ali was more of a true "boxer."

its not the most fun thing to admit, but as bad a guy as mike tyson is, he might've beaten ali if they  fought in their primes.

people always want to give the nod to the past, but sometimes nostalgia gets in the way of judgement.
I saw both in their "prime" and Ali would win. No nostalgia, no lack of judgement. Of course, this is an argument that can never be settled, so maybe we're both right.

But I'm more right...

Ali DID NOT lose twice in his "prime" because his "prime" ended during his 3.5 year layoff. He hurried back (not enough training) to fight Frazier after one tuneup/domination of Jerry Quarry (3 rounds) following the 3.5 year layoff. All knowledgeable fight fans and experts understood that Ali was not the same boxer when he returned to the ring in 1971 as an unbeaten.

Tiger is better than Jack and Arnie and Byron and Walter and Bobby. See, no nostalgia ... so don't try to lump me in with anyone else. Or I'll send Ali to your house. He still has a good right hand.

Mister_BS

When Ali returned to the ring in 1971, it was 11 years after winning the Olympic gold medal.

When Tyson returned to the ring, it was 11 months after winning whatever prize they give to the prison bully.

;) ;D ;)

dhornjr1

Ali took out Sonny Liston and George Foreman when both men were thought to have the potential to actually kill him.

Ali would have simply outsmarted Mike Tyson.

dhornjr1

Jim Thorpe was the best athlete of his time.

Jackie Robinson was the best of his era.

Wilt Chamberlain or Jim Brown for their era.

Then, maybe, Bo Jackson?

Mister_BS

Quote from: dhornjr1 on January 27, 2007, 01:48:59 am

Then, maybe, Bo Jackson?
Jackie Robinson WAS a terrific athlete. He was a track and football star at UCLA (and one of the first blacks there, too).

But he wasn't the best player in the Negro Leagues. He had the best combination of intelligence, character and ability and that's why Branch Rickey chose him to break the color barrier in MLB.

Still, with his track, football and baseball honors in college, an interesting pick that nobody else mentioned. A toast to ye, djornjr1

riccoar

dhornjr1

Quote from: Mister_BS on January 27, 2007, 01:53:17 am
Quote from: dhornjr1 on January 27, 2007, 01:48:59 am

Then, maybe, Bo Jackson?
Jackie Robinson WAS a terrific athlete. He was a track and football star at UCLA (and one of the first blacks there, too).

But he wasn't the best player in the Negro Leagues. He had the best combination of intelligence, character and ability and that's why Branch Rickey chose him to break the color barrier in MLB.

Still, with his track, football and baseball honors in college, an interesting pick that nobody else mentioned. A toast to ye, djornjr1

Thanks mister_BS.

The reason I mention Robinson is because I've often heard that baseball was his worst sport. That's saying a lot. He could have been an Olympian sprinter. His brother, Mack was. Mack Robinson finished second to Jesse Owens in the '36 Olympics in the 100 meters. Then Jackie broke all of Mack's collegiate records in track and field.

In 1936, he captured the junior boys singles championship in the annual Pacific Coast Negro Tennis Tournament, starred as quarterback, and earned a place on the annual Pomona baseball tournament all-star team, one which included future Major League Baseball Hall of Famers Ted Williams and Bob Lemon.

Jackie was also an all Pac-8 player in football and basketball. He was also the first person to be selected to play in the college all-star games in both basketball and football.

A GREAT athlete.

Whatsup

All things considered. My opinion. The girl from the little house on the prairie in kansas that won the NCAA pole vault two years ago at the NCAA Championship in Fayetteville.

Hershel W has the best numbers. Bo was sensational.

And of course if you were ACTUALLY THERE and know what Ali Did, when and how he did it he was the greatest. There's never been anything like it. 40 years later he's still recognized worldwide. He still gets magazine covers.  Anyone who can't see that is likely already enrolled at Alabama.

dhornjr1

Quote from: Whatsup on January 27, 2007, 02:07:47 am
All things considered. My opinion. The girl from the little house on the prairie in kansas that won the NCAA pole vault two years ago at the NCAA Championship in Fayetteville.

Hershel W has the best numbers. Bo was sensational.

And of course if you were ACTUALLY THERE and know what Ali Did, when and how he did it he was the greatest. There's never been anything like it. 40 years later he's still recognized worldwide. He still gets magazine covers.  Anyone who can't see that is likely already enrolled at Alabama.

There's little argument that Muhammad Ali was the single most important athlete in the last half of the 20th century. Not just for what he did in the ring but what he did out of it.

Whatsup

Yep and Ali could outsmart MikeTyson today. In the 70's I was in Louisville for the Derby. Were were invited to Eddies house because my brother who knew Eddie introduced him to Artis Gilmore and Eddie said he would introduce my brother to Ali. Eddie and Cassius grew up together. It was tradition for Ali to come over the night before the derby and he and his cadillac entourage of uncles and friends from Chicago finally showed up. He was a mountain of a man. His shoulders looked like mountains with high cliffs attached. He walked like he was on air. He was the smartest nicest coolest guy I could imagine. At 16 years old I can tell you I am still biased to this day. In the famous incident, Eddies bike got stolen ny a much older boy when he and Clay were 9 and 10. Ali beat up this big kid, the neighborhood thug to get Eddies bike back. Eddie told the story every now and again. Said Ali looked like a bee stinging this poor guys face over and over... he would pause and then  say "only very very fast" and start laughing. We laughed too. You don't want to make a guy mad that has Ali as his personal childhood buddy backup.

dhornjr1

Quote from: Whatsup on January 27, 2007, 02:35:15 am
Yep and Ali could outsmart MikeTyson today. In the 70's I was in Louisville for the Derby. Were were invited to Eddies house because my brother who knew Eddie introduced him to Artis Gilmore and Eddie said he would introduce my brother to Ali. Eddie and Cassius grew up together. It was tradition for Ali to come over the night before the derby and he and his cadillac entourage of uncles and friends from Chicago finally showed up. He was a mountain of a man. His shoulders looked like mountains with high cliffs attached. He walked like he was on air. He was the smartest nicest coolest guy I could imagine. At 16 years old I can tell you I am still biased to this day. In the famous incident, Eddies bike got stolen ny a much older boy when he and Clay were 9 and 10. Ali beat up this big kid, the neighborhood thug to get Eddies bike back. Eddie told the story every now and again. Said Ali looked like a bee stinging this poor guys face over and over... he would pause and then  say "only very very fast" and start laughing. We laughed too. You don't want to make a guy mad that has Ali as his personal childhood buddy backup.

That's a great story.

Mister_BS

January 27, 2007, 02:47:46 am #98 Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 02:50:02 am by Mister_BS
that is a great story.. i always heard about the bike

djornjr1 ... good facts about jackie robinson, too. i remembered his brother was a track star but it was actually Ralph Metcalf who was runnerup to Owens in Berlin in '36 in the 100

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralph_H._Metcalf

Mack Robinson was runnerup to Owens in the 200 in Berlin. I knew you were good on facts. It's just a bit late, good buddy

vol_in_ar

For baseball it's gotta be Babe Ruth, besides hitting home runs he could also pitch.