Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

DOC SADLER

Started by BRC0180, January 25, 2007, 10:02:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BRC0180

If there were a change on the hill in men's basketball, this is our guy.
If he were here you:
*would not have lost at South Carolina last night
*would have went from the bus to BWA for practice if you did
*would not have players cussing coaches/walking off

Look at his pedigree, track record.  He almost beat Texas with 1 player and walkons.  Not near the personnel the hogs have.

This is Doc's dream job.  Is loved by HS coaches/Juco coaches in the region.  Would bring toughness back to Hog Hoops.

We can get Doc.  We can't get Self.  Doc has beaten Anderson. Scott Sutton is not the answer.   

DoubleJ

Totally agree.

*Editors note:  Doc's brother Pedro was my coach at Ramsey Junior High.

mword

Didn't he used to coach for UTEP?

DoubleJ

Quote from: schweine on January 25, 2007, 10:05:06 pm

I thought that he still did.  I don't know, maybe I haven't been keeping up.

pigfeet

His other brother Elliot and dad Hermie raced NASCAR, sarcasm.

dmac_iz_kin

man I garantee, JFB could have walked into that field house last night at SC telling SH to leave and introducing DS, and the team would have won by 20
"it was a called play, and I called it. I called alot of good plays today didn't I chuck?!"

AXLE ROSE

ya dont knowcrap he use to coach uafs and at nebraska now

Bob from Dumas

Quote from: DoubleJ on January 25, 2007, 10:05:47 pm

Doc is in his first year at Nebraska.  I agree with the earlier post - Doc is a very good coach.  His teams play hard and they do not lack for toughness.  While I am sure that the Arkansas job would be one he would love to have, I don't know if we get him this quick after he jumped from UTEP to Nebraska. 

BRC0180

For those of you who do not know Doc is the Head Basketball Coach at the University of Nebraska.  He was the Head Coach at UTEP for two years (NCAA tourney), the hand picked successor by Gillespie.  Head Juco Coach for years.  Recruited/coached several NBA players.  Assistant coach for Gillespie, Sutton, Dickey.  Recruited/Coached in the Big 12, Pac 10, SWC.  He is a winner, when you have coached high school in Arkansas (39-6), Juco in Arkansas (numerous titles), college in Arkansas (assistant for sutton) you can imagine the ties he has in this state.  Is very popular with the high school/juco coaches in the region.  Bill Self/Gillespie would not take this job, but the first guy they will recommend for it is Doc Sadler  guaranteed.

DoubleJ

Quote from: Bob from Dumas on January 25, 2007, 10:16:25 pm

Doc is in his first year at Nebraska.  I agree with the earlier post - Doc is a very good coach.  His teams play hard and they do not lack for toughness.  While I am sure that the Arkansas job would be one he would love to have, I don't know if we get him this quick after he jumped from UTEP to Nebraska. 

I would imagine that this would be his first choice out of any school in the country, so I could see him leaving as soon as an opening comes.

BRC0180

If we make him a fair offer, he is here.  And we are back to putting a team on the floor that will give an effort every Razorback fan would be proud of.  You would never see a Doc Sadler coached team get outworked on the floor and want to give an interview after the game.  You would never hear a player say we got the big head.  Townes would be an All-American or transferred.  Earvin would play without turning the ball over or be gone.  We would be worrying about Sonny Weems leaving early or transferring.  Soft players, guys that make excuses, that will not compete on a daily basis would not be on scholarship, playing in an elite venue such as BWA, or representing the UofA.

This is our guy

BRC0180

Gillespie would not leave A&M for the Arkansas job.  Would not even consider it.

Bob from Dumas

Quote from: DoubleJ on January 25, 2007, 10:25:34 pm
Quote from: Bob from Dumas on January 25, 2007, 10:16:25 pm

I would imagine that this would be his first choice out of any school in the country, so I could see him leaving as soon as an opening comes.

Man, I hope so.

Bob from Dumas

Quote from: BRC0180 on January 25, 2007, 10:17:10 pm
For those of you who do not know Doc is the Head Basketball Coach at the University of Nebraska.  He was the Head Coach at UTEP for two years (NCAA tourney), the hand picked successor by Gillespie.  Head Juco Coach for years.  Recruited/coached several NBA players.  Assistant coach for Gillespie, Sutton, Dickey.  Recruited/Coached in the Big 12, Pac 10, SWC.  He is a winner, when you have coached high school in Arkansas (39-6), Juco in Arkansas (numerous titles), college in Arkansas (assistant for sutton) you can imagine the ties he has in this state.  Is very popular with the high school/juco coaches in the region.  Bill Self/Gillespie would not take this job, but the first guy they will recommend for it is Doc Sadler  guaranteed.

Native of Greenwood, AR.

football17

Doc is an awesome coach.

WooieSooie

Wasn't Doc Sadler the coach at County Line way back when?  They always had good teams, but I still hate Adrian Privett.
It's all fun and games until someone gets shot in the leg selling drugs trying to make money to buy RAZORBACK tickets!

mbgrulz

how's he doing at Neb.?

i would like to see what he could do with our talent.

what kind of recruiter is he?

if he could take this bunch and win immediately, the recruits would fall into place.

Shoe Strings

Last year his UTEP team beat M. Anderson's UAB by a ton and held them to 37 points.  His teams have always been very defensive minded, just like Sutton.  He started the program from scratch at UAFS, after their self imposed death penalty, and won the national championship three years later.  He took UTEP to the tournament the first year he was HC there, and came within a point or two or upsetting a much higher seeded team (I don't remember who).  He's got Nebraska to 12-6 as of last night.

They lost by one to Texas last night, 62-61, holding the longhorns to 30 points below their average.

arcowboy

Doc would also have Hill playing a lot better and scoring.  Sutton disciple and Sutton could always develope a big man.

BRC0180

Quote from: donewithdale on January 25, 2007, 11:04:03 pm
So what exactly has Doc accomplished at the D1 level as a coach?  1 NCAAT trip with another coach's recruits?

He might be a fine coach but he didn't exactly leave UTEP better than when he took over from Gillespie.  It appears you people have experienced so much of this 'we're just lil ole Arkansas' poormouthing that you believe it.  This isn't football.  If the PTB(Frank) chooses to spend on a coach, we can do better than a just removed Juco coach who has done very little at the D1 level.

If he won with Gillespies players at UTEP, I guess he is winning with the guys that got Collier fired at Nebraska 12-6 right now.  Successful head coaching experience, NCAA qualifier, proven recruiter, 20+ years experience.  Who would you hire.  Remember there are going to be other openings at the same time.  Probably Kentucky, Michigan, just to name a few

10thPlanet

Quote from: WooieSooie on January 25, 2007, 11:06:08 pm
Wasn't Doc Sadler the coach at County Line way back when?  They always had good teams, but I still hate Adrian Privett.
Yep

jkelly107

Now how to get rid of Heath?

WilsonHog

hawgtahm

Quote from: BRC0180 on January 25, 2007, 11:39:25 pm
So what exactly has Doc accomplished at the D1 level as a coach?  1 NCAAT trip with another coach's recruits?

He might be a fine coach but he didn't exactly leave UTEP better than when he took over from Gillespie.  It appears you people have experienced so much of this 'we're just lil ole Arkansas' poormouthing that you believe it.  This isn't football.  If the PTB(Frank) chooses to spend on a coach, we can do better than a just removed Juco coach who has done very little at the D1 level.

If he won with Gillespies players at UTEP, I guess he is winning with the guys that got Collier fired at Nebraska 12-6 right now.  Successful head coaching experience, NCAA qualifier, proven recruiter, 20+ years experience.  Who would you hire.  Remember there are going to be other openings at the same time.  Probably Kentucky, Michigan, just to name a few

If there's going to be an opening at Kentucky, then I say we hire Tubby.

BRC0180

Billy Gillespie would not leave the A&M job for the Arkansas Job.
Why? 
*  We can't afford Him:  A&M's AD has said money, facilities, univeristy committment will not be the reason  BCG leaves.
*  He is a born/bred Texas guy.  High School, Juco, College coach from the Lone star state
*  He has better players/recruits at A&M, than we have at UA
He is home. 

MM-gohogs

Quote from: AXLE  ROSE on January 25, 2007, 10:12:06 pm
ya dont knowcrap he use to coach uafs and at nebraska now

we i disagree with your general attitude but you are correct about the uafs thing. then he went to Tex Tech to be an assistant? then went to UTEP as HC and yes now nebraska...

i say hells yeah bring in DOC if we must replace stan
aka: Galactic President Superstar McAwesomeville.

nutt huggers: glittering jewels of colossal ignorance - ME

"for all intensive purposes"--me, hogville taught me something today, thanks
missippihog: "I'm not arguing with you road scholars anymore. GO HOGS!"
hogfanwithms: "Georgia and Arkansas has no defense but Alabama does!"
Karma: "MM, we such today and unfortanely they are calling it like it is."

BRC0180

Quote from: hawgtahm on January 25, 2007, 11:53:38 pm

After the sendoff Nolan, Heath recieved, recieve; you think Tubby would take it?  Nolan and Tubby were pretty tight.

hogfursty

I attended the Cattle Trail but way after he was gone.

BRC0180

Quote from: donewithdale on January 25, 2007, 11:49:00 pm
Quote from: Shoe Strings on January 25, 2007, 11:20:55 pm
Last year his UTEP team beat M. Anderson's UAB by a ton and held them to 37 points.  His teams have always been very defensive minded, just like Sutton.  He started the program from scratch at UAFS, after their self imposed death penalty, and won the national championship three years later.  He took UTEP to the tournament the first year he was HC there, and came within a point or two or upsetting a much higher seeded team (I don't remember who).  He's got Nebraska to 12-6 as of last night.

They lost by one to Texas last night, 62-61, holding the longhorns to 30 points below their average.

Doc took Gillespie's team to the NCAAT his first year and then managed to miss the NCAAT his second and then left Barbee a depleted roster.

Doc, Mike A, Hatfield for AD...all examples of this incest theme we love so much.

Why spend hundred of thousands to buyout Stan to hire another maybe up and comer?  Put that into upgrading the football staff.  What has Doc done to earn the job at an all time Top 10 program?  Certainly not saying Stan has.  But if we aren't going to hire a coach worthy of our program then why waste the money to pay 2 coaches at once.

Our fans complain about Big 10 basketball yet you want Doc's style?  Don't we already have Sutton flavor on our staff now with Cyprien?

And what would happen if Doc isn't who we thought he would be?  Sebastian County start to rally around him like Nutt supporters have Dale? 

If we are going to make a change, can we please hire a proven professional without these personal ties who has shown he is worthy of a program like our basketball program?

Give us 3 coaches you would like to see considered for the job:

Well come on genius.

hawgtahm

Quote from: BRC0180 on January 26, 2007, 12:03:04 am

After the sendoff Nolan, Heath recieved, recieve; you think Tubby would take it?  Nolan and Tubby were pretty tight.

So, you think Stan is a better coach than Tubby?

BRC0180

No do not think Stan is better than Tubby. 
I do not think Tubby Smith would take this Job, after Nolan and Stanley were fired.

Tubby is probably going to the NBA, or sitting at home drawing Big Kentucky $$$.

hawgtahm

That is a good point, but after Nolan's slow meltdown (I mean, he did pretty much lose his mind) Tubby seemed, at least publicly, to distance himself from him.

hawgtahm

Quote from: hawgtahm on January 26, 2007, 12:07:41 am

So, you think Stan is a better coach than Tubby?

Sorry BRC, This question was supposed to be posed to DoneWithDale's quote re: downgrade?

NuttinItUp

He has done a good job.

BRC0180

January 26, 2007, 12:23:51 am #34 Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 12:26:34 am by BRC0180
Your the AD, who do you pursue?
These guys will answer your call with: Thanks but not interested, but my assistant etc......., or do you know Coach .......... from....................
Bill Self
Billy Gillespie
Mark Few
Tubby Smith

hawgtahm

Quote from: donewithdale on January 26, 2007, 12:21:07 am
Tubby has done very little after Pitino's players left.  That would be a huge waste of money considering what it would take to hire him and his actual worth which is very little.

"Over his 15 seasons as a head coach, Smith has had 13 consecutive 20-win seasons, making the NCAA Tournament each of those years.[4] In 2005, he joined Roy Williams, Nolan Richardson, Denny Crum and Jim Boeheim as the only head coaches to win 365 games in 15 seasons or less. Entering the 2007 season, Smith's career record was 365-133 and his .733 winning percentage was eighth among active coaches."

From   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tubby_Smith

I'm computer illiterate enough that I don't know how to make that a link, sorry.

hawgtahm

hawgtahm

Quote from: BRC0180 on January 26, 2007, 12:23:51 am
Your the AD, who do you pursue?
These guys will answer your call with: Thanks but not interested, but my assistant etc......., or do you know Coach .......... from....................
Bill Self
Billy Gillespie
Mark Few
Tubby Smith

I made the Tubby suggestion on the premise that he is ousted at Kentucky. In that scenario, I disagree with your assessment. To answer your question as presented, I would pursue Mark Turgeon.

hawgtahm

Well done, then I'm curious who you would have as the coach.

NuttinItUp

roddeloach1

DOC sucks.  He will not be able to compete in the SEC.

razor rob

Doc would be OK, but I think it's a little early to start pencilling him in.
Heath turned them around last year, and until they lose thier 8th conference game, they're still alive. So put talk of replacing him on the back burner at least until then.

Space Man

Quote from: BRC0180 on January 25, 2007, 10:02:59 pm
If there were a change on the hill in men's basketball, this is our guy.
If he were here you:
*would not have lost at South Carolina last night
*would have went from the bus to BWA for practice if you did
*would not have players cussing coaches/walking off

Look at his pedigree, track record.  He almost beat Texas with 1 player and walkons.  Not near the personnel the hogs have.

This is Doc's dream job.  Is loved by HS coaches/Juco coaches in the region.  Would bring toughness back to Hog Hoops.

We can get Doc.  We can't get Self.  Doc has beaten Anderson. Scott Sutton is not the answer.  

Souther Illinois's head coach should be the top candidate.  His teams are well coached, and they play hard. 

Pignominious

Check it out.

http://nebraska.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=287&tid=87537401&mid=87537401&sid=928&style=2

Started a thread on the NU hoops board about Doc.  The general feeling over there is he has done more with less.  He made them get up at 5:30 in the morning to practice.  I like the sound of Doc.
Ray Biggers' third cousin.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: BRC0180 on January 25, 2007, 10:17:10 pm

Question:

Why wouldn't one of those types of coaches take this job?  We have a ton of history.  We have great fans (when they have ANY reason to be energized).  We have good talent there now.  We don't have, nor have we ever, had any problems with image regarding the NCAA and roguishness.  We have proven more than capable of being a top 5 program under the right leadership.  We have great facilities and one of the top 5 stadiums to play in.  We have the capability of paying the $$ to obtain a coach of their calibre.

I would think Football would be a tougher sell due to JFB, to be honest.

Why can't we lure that type of coach?

Question-Man  (The Disenfranchised)
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

ms_hog

The 86-87 school year.  The senior boys made it to the state semifinals and lost to Delta.  Steve Lovelace and Bo Hunter were a couple of the seniors on the team.  Your buddy, Adrian was a junior.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: donewithdale on January 25, 2007, 11:49:00 pm
Quote from: Shoe Strings on January 25, 2007, 11:20:55 pm

Doc took Gillespie's team to the NCAAT his first year and then managed to miss the NCAAT his second and then left Barbee a depleted roster.

Doc, Mike A, Hatfield for AD...all examples of this incest theme we love so much.

Why spend hundred of thousands to buyout Stan to hire another maybe up and comer?  Put that into upgrading the football staff.  What has Doc done to earn the job at an all time Top 10 program?  Certainly not saying Stan has.  But if we aren't going to hire a coach worthy of our program then why waste the money to pay 2 coaches at once.

Our fans complain about Big 10 basketball yet you want Doc's style?  Don't we already have Sutton flavor on our staff now with Cyprien?

And what would happen if Doc isn't who we thought he would be?  Sebastian County start to rally around him like Nutt supporters have Dale? 

If we are going to make a change, can we please hire a proven professional without these personal ties who has shown he is worthy of a program like our basketball program?

+1
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

boarhog12

hog caller

the problem with the Hogs is not a coaching problem it's a mental one with the players.

they play to the level of what they THINK their competition is. that's why they beat Alabama the first time. LSU was a hustle win .but the no win no conference win don't know how to play little guys wellllll heck we can beat them easy.

this type attitude kills a team and causes losses that should have been wins if their heads were on straight.

WooieSooie

Quote from: ms_hog on January 26, 2007, 10:19:11 am

The 86-87 school year.  The senior boys made it to the state semifinals and lost to Delta.  Steve Lovelace and Bo Hunter were a couple of the seniors on the team.  Your buddy, Adrian was a junior.
I thought so.  That was a pretty dang good team.  I was a jr. at FSC that year.  Of course, we beat them and Mulberry in a 3 way playoff the next year for the conference title.  We had to play CL and Mulberry on two consecutive nights, and won them both.
It's all fun and games until someone gets shot in the leg selling drugs trying to make money to buy RAZORBACK tickets!