Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I found this interesting link over at hawgsillustrated.com

Started by uagrad1998, January 15, 2007, 07:21:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

uagrad1998

and wanted to pass it to you guys over here.  There is a link with a video interview. Enjoy and post thoughts.

http://www.todaysthv.com/sports/story.aspx?storyid=39797
DARKSIDER SINCE  2001 AND D#$N PROUD OF IT

[Spicoli has had a pizza delivered to class]
Mr. Hand: Am I hallucinating here? Just what in the hell do you think you're doing?
Jeff Spicoli: Learning about Cuba, and having some food.

Jeff Spicoli: No shirt, no shoes...
Jeff and Stoner Buds: No dice! Ohhhh.
Brad Hamilton: Right. Learn it. Know it. Live it.  Jeff Spicoli: He's the full hot orator.

eclipse

That says a lot about what is wrong with our recruiting in the state and elsewhere.

Salty Hog

Yep. The fence has a hole in it 2 miles wide.  The ship's taking on water and folks are jumping overboard left and right. The foundation is crumbling under the current administrations feet, and all they keep saying is "every thing will be just fine".  This truly sucks. It will take at least 5 years to recover.  :(
Fear The Hog!!!!

JIMMY BOARFFETT

January 15, 2007, 07:51:41 pm #3 Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 07:59:21 pm by JIMMY BOARFFETT
Some will spin that as being arrogant but big time athletes, whether homegrown or otherwise, must be convinced to come to Arkansas.  HDN doesn't know this or he doesn't care.  Pete Carroll obviously knows what it takes to recruit big time athletes.  It's rather embarassing that Carroll, from the west coast, beat HDN to a recruit in Arkansas.  Wow!
My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

Boarsnest

This was the same thing that happened with Brett Helms, he had 8 offers before Arkansas offered!!!

loserhog3-7

What goes around comes around Frank, Nutt, and the Arkansas Program.

pigmania

I hope JFB is having a good time tonight rocking in his rocking chair, nursing his baby HDN, thinking all is well tonight with the football program.

nobballconcept

2006 will be the beginning of the end.   this interview says it all for me

PiggyBack

I posted that on hawgsillustrated under the name hogimistic.  The funny thing is......I got it from here!  Hogville is always ahead of the curve.

And yes, this video is a sad indictment of our program and it's "leader."
Huggers react to facts and reason the way Linda Blair reacts to holy water.

http://allythigpen.com/woo2.swf

B Ray

Everybody will say , that these recruits have a big ego ,but if they have it here in Arkansas, they have them in other states as well.So we need to adapt and go out and get the best  recruits out there. We can make excuses, but HDN does not know how to recruits todays type of recruits.

JIMMY BOARFFETT

Quote from: B Ray on January 15, 2007, 08:28:15 pm
Everybody will say , that these recruits have a big ego ,but if they have it here in Arkansas, they have them in other states as well.So we need to adapt and go out and get the best  recruits out there. We can make excuses, but HDN does not know how to recruits todays type of recruits.

A big ego can't deal with a big ego.
My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

ceegar

i remember when i was elated to get an offer from the hogs even though it wasnt my first and that was a long long time ago.  if you really want to be a hog it shouldnt matter
Go Hogs. Go Noles.

middleman

I am the guy that interviewed Broderick Green and when he says he has no hatred for the Hogs he means it.  He honestly felt bad that all the other schools were calling except his home school.  
The sad thing is all the other high school recruits I spoke with that have chosen other schools instead of arkansas agreed on one thing; HDN is the reason they will not go there.

PiggyBack

Quote from: middleman on January 15, 2007, 08:38:41 pm
I am the guy that interviewed Broderick Green and when he says he has no hatred for the Hogs he means it.  He honestly felt bad that all the other schools were calling except his home school.  
The sad thing is all the other high school recruits I spoke with that have chosen other schools instead of arkansas agreed on one thing; HDN is the reason they will not go there.

AMAZING...when will our fanbase wake up?
Huggers react to facts and reason the way Linda Blair reacts to holy water.

http://allythigpen.com/woo2.swf

pigmania

When will Nutt and Broyles get a clue that all is not well.

the donger

Quote from: Salty Hog on January 15, 2007, 07:39:49 pm
Yep. The fence has a hole in it 2 miles wide.  The ship's taking on water and folks are jumping overboard left and right. The foundation is crumbling under the current administrations feet, and all they keep saying is "every thing will be just fine".  This truly sucks. It will take at least 5 years to recover.  :(
Yep, the fence has a hole in it as big as the one on the Texas border.

Since 1894

Why did Lou get fired?

Wasn't that over two players going to Oklahoma?
The first thing I heard today was that he grew up on a pig farm. That's quite a start in my book. And my last memory was watching him hang 70 on Nebraska. Just those two facts are enough (for me to like him). Then, I hear that he's out of the Hayden Fry-Bill Snyder-Barry Alvarez coaching tree. Oh, that's enough for me to like a lot. Then, I hear he's got a 27-year-old wife. Okay, we can stop. I like him.

BARRY SWITZER- Former Arkansas Asst. Coach
Quote given to Clay Henry

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Ernest Hoggingway

Houston Nutt has a rare combination of arrogance and stupidity.   Not good for recruiting.

Boarcephus

I couldn't even watch the whole vidio.  Just pissed me off the way Nutt handled this process.  Pete Carroll has kicked his butt every time they've met and now we know why. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

tech81

Amazing, 17 and 18 year old kids can see through the smoke yet grown adults continue to fall for the same old crap. Losing the top 3 recruits in state and then rationalizing it is called BS. LZ and BG will probably play in the league and KB will scorch Arkansas for 3 years.

ak5150

Also watch the video link at the top that says update. TV Sports anchors have now lost confidence in the program

silvertip

January 31, 2007, 12:28:19 am #21 Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 12:30:55 am by silvertip
Well, don't THIS suck!!

I just stumbled across this, so I thought I'd try to bump it to the front page & see how many other people could check it out.

Anybody know any PTBs or BOTs? Show them this.

EDIT: OK, bump complete. It says 832 "reads." How about y'all spread the word & see if we can't get 8,000.

HawgAdvocate

Wow......straight from the horse's mouth...Hog coaches aren't making the effort needed to recruit these kids like they should.

Broderick Green admits he thought highly of Arkansas, but the coaches didn't care to do their job of recruiting.

Same with Kodi Burns....

OUCH!!!

"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Pig Floyd

January 31, 2007, 12:40:32 am #24 Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 12:42:12 am by Pig Floyd
I'm not a hugger at all...but I can understand why Green didn't get heavily pursued by Arkansas.

A 4.6 time won't cut it in the SEC as a running back (Look at Kenneth Darby), and I'm sure he won't be cool with being a fullback on the Hill...

The SEC is all about speed...different than the Pac 10 or the Big Ten...

USC utilized LenDale White to his full potential..and I'm sure they'll do the same with Green, he has the same body type.

I'm hearing he's going to Penn State though...

moley_russells_wart_hog

January 31, 2007, 02:04:49 am #25 Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 02:07:03 am by moley_russells_wart_hog
Quote from: ceegar on January 15, 2007, 08:38:23 pm
i remember when i was elated to get an offer from the hogs even though it wasnt my first and that was a long long time ago.  if you really want to be a hog it shouldnt matter

i think what the young man it tactfully trying to say is that the hogs didnt
want him...... and that he was only recruited by nutt just for appearances

BenTokin

OMG I cant believe they still have jobs after stuff like this hits TV...  Congratulations...  And Uncle Buck Rules!!!!!
WpS

R300069

stop panicking.  you sound all flustered.

moley_russells_wart_hog

Quote from: R300069 on January 31, 2007, 02:12:54 am

sounds like he sees wasted potential

R300069

I have heard from many that Green wasn't what they wanted at tailback, too slow.  However the rest of what Broderick said really does bother me.  Nutt can claim he doesn't want one guy but he really looks bad with all three.  Burns in my opinion they probably didn't want all that bad because they thought MM would pan out, but still to hear that Nutt wasn't doing a first class job in his own state is embarassing.  There has to be more to this.

R300069

Quote from: moley_russells_wart_hog on January 31, 2007, 02:16:00 am

I saw it last year too.  yet panic never helps.  You have to be brave and watch the capt. go down with his ship...screaming!

moley_russells_wart_hog

Quote from: R300069 on January 31, 2007, 02:24:56 am
Quote from: moley_russells_wart_hog on January 31, 2007, 02:16:00 am

I saw it last year too.  yet panic never helps.  You have to be brave and watch the capt. go down with his ship...screaming!

my response its the last line of a cheech and chong skit about a kamikazi pilot ,

Pigskin_Porker

I don't know about all ya'll, but with every new interview or quote I get more and more upset!!!!!!!  The state of the football program from top to bottom is ridiculously bad and seems to worsen every week.  The smoke we've seen for months and even years now has to become all out fire sometime doesn't it???????   

I wish someone out there with enough power and pull (enough money $$$$) would freakin' light the match and burn everyone except the players who we all love! 

I mean doesn't DMAC or Monk ever ask himself "what the HE$$ is going on with my program?"  Where are the former players? Is Arkansas so pathetic that a few good ole boys are above reproach and can dictate whatever, whenever, however? 

Like many of ya'll I'm once again as furious as can be and all I feel like doing is cussing and busting up my punching bag and watching a couple of UFC fights!!!

:razorback:  Wooo Pig Sooie !!    :razorback:  I can't wait for baseball to start!   :razorback:
"ATHLETICS IS A MINDSET.  WINNERS THINK DIFFERENT. I SHOULD STOP SAYING 'THINK' BECAUSE WINNERS DON'T THINK, THEY JUST DO IT."                                                                                            -- COACH JOHN McDONNELL  (42 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS)                                                

. . .  Es ist verdammt hart, das Beste zu sein . . .

LJHOG

Kinda behind the times ain't it?  Since he isn't going to USC.

Biggus Piggus

This is my message, too.  It doesn't matter how much we fans like Nutt.  It does matter how much the top in-state recruits like him.  Two years straight, they haven't liked him at all.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Pig Floyd on January 31, 2007, 12:40:32 am
A 4.6 time won't cut it in the SEC as a running back (Look at Kenneth Darby), and I'm sure he won't be cool with being a fullback on the Hill...

USC utilized LenDale White to his full potential..and I'm sure they'll do the same with Green, he has the same body type.

What a friggin load here.  LenDale White ran all over Auburn and Arkansas.  Just because a coach can't recognize talent & doesn't know what to do with it doesn't mean the whole world shares the same stupidity.
[CENSORED]!

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 31, 2007, 08:09:08 am
Quote from: Pig Floyd on January 31, 2007, 12:40:32 am

What a friggin load here.  LenDale White ran all over Auburn and Arkansas.  Just because a coach can't recognize talent & doesn't know what to do with it doesn't mean the whole world shares the same stupidity.

Exactly..it's like we're all supposed to believe that a tenth of a second difference in a 40-yard dash time automatically means that a guy can't play SEC football.

How many 40 yard dashes do you think these guys run from the line of scrimmage per game anyway? It's not as if agility, soft hands, mental awareness of the game, or toughness means a damn thing in football. Duh!
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

DeltaBoy

The Final Nail NUTT MUST GO!  what a waste of talent by the Nuttster! :puke:
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

stan the man

Nutt doesn't like five star athletes and can't relate to them.  That is why we never get any and the ones that we have a chance at he does a poor job of recruiting them.  When you are mediocre then you gravitate toward mediocre players.   

verticalhog

January 31, 2007, 10:12:01 am #39 Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 10:14:44 am by ImHogginIt
Let me start by saying that I'm no fan of HDN and he should have been fired after the 2005 season based on performance (should be fired now based on integrity).  With that said, I think there are valid reasons that Ziemba, Burns and Green aren't Hogs.  With Ziemba, he could have gone just about anywhere, including the glamour programs, but with his parents' loyalty to Auburn, he was meant to be a War Eagle/Tiger.

Plain and simple, no one else really had a chance with him no matter what anybody says.  On Burns, as an earlier poster said, everyone thought that MM was going to be the man for four years and that not only turned off Burns but Mallett as well.  By the time it was obvious that MM was gone, Kodi had committed to Auburn and felt good about that.  With Green, it seems to me that from things he has said in the past, he wants to be a featured back (that is, tailback).

If someone is continually saying this and you know that you're in a league that needs the featured back to have 4.4 or better speed, you don't work that kid too hard.  The final factor is something that started 25 or so years ago as college coaches began to follow the NFL approach of looking everywhere for talent (mainly enabled by better communication technology).

If you look back to the recruiting of Keith Jackson, Sr. when he went to Oklahoma, it's very flattering to an 18 year old kid from what is perceived of as a backwater state to have high profile college coaches from all over the country come to see him.  It's also natural that as kids have better access to seeing that it's a great big world, they are attracted to things like the beaches and babes in California, etc. 

The fact is, nobody is able to maintain any kind of "fence" anymore.  We will continue to see some of the top prospects in Arkansas go other places for varied reasons and it wouldn't matter if we had Butch Davis or anyone else.  So when HDN is finally gone (and I sure hope it's after next year if not before), our next coach will have the same challenge and will be criticized when a top prospect from Arkansas chooses a different school.

Let's be realistic about things like this as well as the quality of the academics at the U of A in comparison to schools like USC, Notre Dame (and, yes, even Rice which is of comparable quality to the Ivy League) when we look at the reasons a kid chooses to spend 4 or 5 years someplace outside of his home state.

Rev. Hog

Recruiting comes down to one thing... building a relationship with the recruits.  The recruits needs to know that they are WANTED and that they can TRUST you.  By watching the interview, it look like the big-time in-state players feel neither from HDN.  There is no excuse for HDN not being involved before anyone else with in-state talent.  99% of the kids in the state grow up Hog fans, and have a dream to run through the "A".  But they have to feel wanted and need to trust the Coach.

Dugann

By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

R300069

I think the kid is thought of as a chubster.  Central Ark he isn't thought of as the best back.  There are other kids down there who are better.

R300069

Quote from: verticalhog on January 31, 2007, 10:12:01 am
Let me start by saying that I'm no fan of HDN and he should have been fired after the 2005 season based on performance (should be fired now based on integrity).  With that said, I think there are valid reasons that Ziemba, Burns and Green aren't Hogs.  With Ziemba, he could have gone just about anywhere, including the glamour programs, but with his parents' loyalty to Auburn, he was meant to be a War Eagle/Tiger.

Plain and simple, no one else really had a chance with him no matter what anybody says.  On Burns, as an earlier poster said, everyone thought that MM was going to be the man for four years and that not only turned off Burns but Mallett as well.  By the time it was obvious that MM was gone, Kodi had committed to Auburn and felt good about that.  With Green, it seems to me that from things he has said in the past, he wants to be a featured back (that is, tailback).

If someone is continually saying this and you know that you're in a league that needs the featured back to have 4.4 or better speed, you don't work that kid too hard.  The final factor is something that started 25 or so years ago as college coaches began to follow the NFL approach of looking everywhere for talent (mainly enabled by better communication technology).

If you look back to the recruiting of Keith Jackson, Sr. when he went to Oklahoma, it's very flattering to an 18 year old kid from what is perceived of as a backwater state to have high profile college coaches from all over the country come to see him.  It's also natural that as kids have better access to seeing that it's a great big world, they are attracted to things like the beaches and babes in California, etc. 

The fact is, nobody is able to maintain any kind of "fence" anymore.  We will continue to see some of the top prospects in Arkansas go other places for varied reasons and it wouldn't matter if we had Butch Davis or anyone else.  So when HDN is finally gone (and I sure hope it's after next year if not before), our next coach will have the same challenge and will be criticized when a top prospect from Arkansas chooses a different school.

Let's be realistic about things like this as well as the quality of the academics at the U of A in comparison to schools like USC, Notre Dame (and, yes, even Rice which is of comparable quality to the Ivy League) when we look at the reasons a kid chooses to spend 4 or 5 years someplace outside of his home state.

They won't get this but I like it.  Ark has lots of D1 talent this year and will next year too.  Some will stay and some will leave.  Ark isn't known as an academic powerhouse for sure. 

R300069

Quote from: stan the man on January 31, 2007, 09:59:13 am
Nutt doesn't like five star athletes and can't relate to them.  That is why we never get any and the ones that we have a chance at he does a poor job of recruiting them.  When you are mediocre then you gravitate toward mediocre players.  

Like the bball coach you share a moniker with. 

hogman64

this needs to stay at the top......defines the problem perfectly............

Jimmy

My out-of-state Hog Fan friends keep wanting info on the situation here.  I emailed this article to all of them.  It says a lot!

Newhopehog

Yes but Frank(oh so close to the program) Williams says Green is lying that he was contacted earlier...that in another thread on here....