Exhibition thoughts

Started by Rbill, October 27, 2017, 09:53:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HoopS

The beating boy of Hogville will be one of —�

Beard
Cook
Thomas

Likely Beard. But rest assured, one of our own will be eaten alive by a group of lunatics.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: rzrbkman on October 31, 2017, 05:43:11 pm
Why did Gafford only play for 15 minutes when there were only 8 players total dressed out and 1 of those remaining 7 players only played 1 minute?

He picked up 2 fouls in the first minute he was on the floor.

Pistol Pig Maravich

Quote from: HoopS on November 03, 2017, 07:51:26 am
The beating boy of Hogville will be one of —�

Beard
Cook
Thomas

Likely Beard. But rest assured, one of our own will be eaten alive by a group of lunatics.
Thomas in my book. Effort is always there, but so are the turnovers

niels_boar

Quote from: Pinto on October 31, 2017, 07:09:40 am
I agree with most of your post but if we had a guard who could consistently beat the defender off the dribble to penetrate and create for others, our offense wouldn't be so stagnant. We also don't run enough PNR or we don't have the personnel who knows how to run an effective one.

I think Dayday can handle ball pretty well and more confidently than Manny could. Hopefully he will make smart decisions like Manny did last year. I'm very anxious to see him in action on Friday because I truly believe he is the glue guy.

I've read some reports that implied that Hall's ballhandling is still a work in progress.  I have no idea what reality is. I don't believe anybody is expecting Hall to be a poor ballhandler, but he's a frosh.  Furthermore, Watkins' contributions as a ballhandler were overshadowed by his reluctance to shoot.  While he was certainly no flashy creator, his assist rate was right there with the rest of our guards, and he only averaged 1 TO per 40 minutes played, which is amazing for anybody who gets any assists at all.

I'm also hoping that Hall replaces a lot of what Manny brought to the table.  He sounds like that he could be an even more versatile defender and rebounder with his length.  Hall will probably score more right off the bat, but I'm expecting more TOs and fewer assists from the wing as a tradeoff, at least this season.  Jones has reportedly improved his handle, but that was one of his weaknesses that kept him on the bench last season.  All pure speculation at this point, though.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

rzrbkman

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on November 03, 2017, 10:15:29 am
He picked up 2 fouls in the first minute he was on the floor.

Yet, he played the next 14 minutes without committing another foul and a total of 15 minutes is all that he played.

ShadowHawg

Stats don't tell the whole story. I keep reading about Manny's ball handling prowess.

He was a passive player on the offensive end, not a creator for anyone including himself. A guy who takes few risks is going to have very few turnovers. His stats are not an accurate indicator of his handles or even decision making.

Also, we are pretty efficient offensively. I guess if the points come from outside of the framework of what you believe should be done then they are somehow illegitimate?

azhog10

Quote from: rzrbkman on November 03, 2017, 02:13:55 pm
Yet, he played the next 14 minutes without committing another foul and a total of 15 minutes is all that he played.
To be fair he would have averaged close to 20 plus minutes had he not gotten in foul trouble in the first half.....

hobhog

Letsroll1200

It's scary what Gafford will be by January and once CJ Jones gets comfortable and confident this team is going to grow by the time SEC play starts.

Rbill

After tonight's exhibition my feelings haven't changed one bit. Barford and Macon will get their points, Thompson is our best passer that does what our guards should look to do more, and if we involve Gafford as much as possible we can succeed and he will be a star. He's fantastic.

cjack

Quote from: rzrbkman on October 31, 2017, 05:43:11 pm
Why did Gafford only play for 15 minutes when there were only 8 players total dressed out and 1 of those remaining 7 players only played 1 minute?

Gafford looked winded to me, but he could have just taken some time off when he was out there.  He doesn't look lazy to me, and I didn't see MA on him very much so I think his stamina isn't there yet. 

I didn't watch him in high school but I don't imagine he had a lot of competition.  He could afford to not go 100% last year.  I think he'll get much better quickly.  He looks like an outstanding player to me. 

I did notice they tried to get the ball down low to him and in transition. Most of the passes were off the mark and/or turnovers early so it seemed like they went away from that
Woooo Pig Soooie!

cjack

I'm excited about the young guys. I've already mentioned Gafford, but Hall looks like he can jump out of the gym and Bailey can too.  Bailey got in foul trouble early and seemed to get put in the dog house. 

Two things stood out to me that are like last year. One good and one bad. 

Any team that runs the floor had to shoot free throws well. We did that.  83% I think.  That's the good

Our defense looks like they are going to struggle against a half court offense. Western Missouri passed the ball well and that created open looks at the basket. I think they shot 50% from the 3.

The final does not reflect the game. It was a pretty close game start to finish.  I don't think we had a 10 point lead at any time until the last 2 minutes.

Woooo Pig Soooie!

The_Iceman

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on November 03, 2017, 09:56:41 pm
It's scary what Gafford will be by January and once CJ Jones gets comfortable and confident this team is going to grow by the time SEC play starts.

That's a good point regarding CJ. Guy has to get used to playing major minutes in real games. Hasn't ever done that.

parallaxpig

Quote from: cjack on November 03, 2017, 11:53:44 pm
I'm excited about the young guys. I've already mentioned Gafford, but Hall looks like he can jump out of the gym and Bailey can too.  Bailey got in foul trouble early and seemed to get put in the dog house. 

Two things stood out to me that are like last year. One good and one bad. 

Any team that runs the floor had to shoot free throws well. We did that.  83% I think.  That's the good

Our defense looks like they are going to struggle against a half court offense. Western Missouri passed the ball well and that created open looks at the basket. I think they shot 50% from the 3.

The final does not reflect the game. It was a pretty close game start to finish.  I don't think we had a 10 point lead at any time until the last 2 minutes.

One flaw in MA's defense that seems to show every year is the inability to rotate to man in the corner. We get worn out by that three point shot..........
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

blu

Quote from: parallaxpig on November 04, 2017, 08:16:56 am
One flaw in MA's defense that seems to show every year is the inability to rotate to man in the corner. We get worn out by that three point shot..........

I agree with this. Last season, up through early in the SEC, we made every team that played us look really good from beyond the arc. The D got better as the season went on, hopefully that will be the case this year.
"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

Pinto

Quote from: parallaxpig on November 04, 2017, 08:16:56 am

It's because they run a complicated defense that requires a lot of IQ and close out speed. It's literally a scramble defense and sometimes our guys have brain farts and/or help off the wrong guy(which usually leaves the corner wide open). Mike has to emphasize to not help off the man in the corner so much or we will continue to get shot out the gym.

mhuff

Quote from: Rbill on November 03, 2017, 11:07:02 pm
After tonight's exhibition my feelings haven't changed one bit. Barford and Macon will get their points, Thompson is our best passer that does what our guards should look to do more, and if we involve Gafford as much as possible we can succeed and he will be a star. He's fantastic.

mhuff

November 05, 2017, 07:16:22 am #67 Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 07:27:17 am by mhuff
Quote from: Rbill on October 27, 2017, 11:03:38 pm
Yeah, I'm certainly not panicked. But it's discouraging to see familiar issues against such an opponent. I just want someone to finally buy in that passing to the paint is a possibility.

The past 15 years we have had guards that drove the lane and threw up some unmakeable shot. Now if it were any other team, they would have driven the lane and dropped it off to an open man. BB 10101. Only discussing scoring in the paint here. Last year when Thompson was in the lineup with Moses the ball went into Thompson and then with his superior BB IQ and passing ability got the ball to Kingsley. That was in games that we either caught up or went on runs. BB 10101. Inside opens up outside. BB 10101. Now if we want to jerk around until the shot clock is running out and then throw up a bad shot. This is a bad idea and bad BB. We have to score in the paint and play pressure defense that will cause TO's and take the other team out of its offense and game plan. That's how I used to remember BB being played at Arkansas. Last year in the NC game we switched up defenses often and played pressure defense that forced TO's. BB10101. You have to do it every game.

I know it's early ,so I am going to anticipate a defense that will make watching Hog ball fun again. EVERY game.

rzrbkman

Quote from: azhog10 on November 03, 2017, 02:39:40 pm
To be fair he would have averaged close to 20 plus minutes had he not gotten in foul trouble in the first half.....

He only committed 2 fouls the whole game in an "exhibition".

Pinto

Quote from: rzrbkman on November 05, 2017, 08:00:33 am
He only committed 2 fouls the whole game in an "exhibition".

They're referring to 1st game

mhuff

Quote from: ShadowHawg on October 28, 2017, 10:59:35 am
You run your offense through your best threats. That would be Barford and Macon.

You inside out people are ridiculous. There is more than one way to play basketball at a high level. I

You're supposed to know more BB than that. We had Hannah's and Bell. How did that season turn out. The announcers in NC game said that the secret to their whole season was scoring in the paint. You do what the defense allows you to do. In the past we have not worked the ball inside enough. That's why poor shots are taken. Stand around dribbling on the outside and play crap BB. Scoring is better than not scoring.The other teams don't seem to have that problem. They pass the ball until they have a wide open shot. You know like it's supposed to be done.

Dominicanhog

I'm concerned about depth, scoring droughts and the 4 position... we'll be as good as last year, but if these are issues going forward, I don't think we'll improve much..

rzrbkman

Quote from: Pinto on November 05, 2017, 08:02:45 am
They're referring to 1st game

And so was I. He only committed 2 fouls in the 1st game, yet only played 15 minutes.

Pinto

Quote from: rzrbkman on November 05, 2017, 02:47:38 pm
And so was I. He only committed 2 fouls in the 1st game, yet only played 15 minutes.

He committed two quick fouls as soon as he got in the game in 1st half and got pulled.

HoopS

Quote from: Pinto on November 05, 2017, 03:16:52 pm
He committed two quick fouls as soon as he got in the game in 1st half and got pulled.
thus explaining the stats provided with no context.