Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Explaining John Chavis' Defensive Philosophy

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, March 09, 2018, 05:27:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bennyl08

Quote from: twistitup on March 12, 2018, 04:03:28 pm
Thanks for your input Benny Ben Ben, but Agim disagrees according to an article from last June:

With the defense switching to a 3-4 scheme, Agim feels it will allow him to play his game, and maybe reach the ceiling his high school coach sees for him.

"I feel like in the 4-3 I was just standing still," said Agim. "The 3-4 lets me move more, in my opinion."

More movement from Agim could result in more big plays as the Hog defense looks to create more havoc on opposing offenses.

http://www.arkansasmatters.com/sports/razorback-nation/im-far-from-perfect-agim-looking-to-build-on-solid-freshman-season/754256022

Isn't it just a shocker that an article from this past week has quotes almost identical to yours from last year, but now has the same player saying almost the exact same things, but now, he's talking up the current coach and scheme while last year, he was talking up the current coach and scheme...
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

twistitup

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 12, 2018, 07:23:43 pm
Isn't it just a shocker that an article from this past week has quotes almost identical to yours from last year, but now has the same player saying almost the exact same things, but now, he's talking up the current coach and scheme while last year, he was talking up the current coach and scheme...

Now....why in the hell would you not link the article?
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

bennyl08

Quote from: twistitup on March 12, 2018, 07:31:01 pm
Now....why in the hell would you not link the article?

I did. Why in the hell would you not read?

EDIT: To help a brother out, you might want to refer to reply #49 in this thread...
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

twistitup

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 12, 2018, 07:34:30 pm
I did. Why in the hell would you not read?

EDIT: To help a brother out, you might want to refer to reply #49 in this thread...

Sweet...went to the end of thread. I think Agim will be a beast no matter the D scheme he plays in. I like his ability to adjust to diff coaches and schemes - that will pay dividends in the future.

twistitup

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 12, 2018, 07:22:13 pm

Twisty twist twist, Thanks for your input, but Agim disagrees according to an article from this past weak.

You sayin' Agim is weak?

j/k

Carry on

ballinhog

We all know Chavis is gonna get after the QB, we'll be even better when Gerald gets here. We even have 1 great linebacker, 1 good one, and another very promising one with a nose for the ball in Munson. The biggest key for succees on D for us this year will be the coverage. Our win/loss record will directly reflect the play of our secondary. I feel great about 1 side of the field as I think we all do in Pulley. He's gonna lock down his side.

I think a big reason for Chief's lack of success at A&M was the head coach. A team reflects their head coach and A&M was soft. Chad Morris appears to take defense way more serious than Sumlin. I believe a Chad Morris team will be tougher than a Sumlin team as well.

But anyway back to the corners, Calloway could be the most important piece to this team. We feel good about Pulley but if the other side of the field is open season for QB's and WR's we could end up looking like A&M defensively from the past couple years. But if Calloway and the other backups can hold their own and make their share of plays, along with the pressure we expect to apply, that shouldn really determine how good we will be. We need depth at safety too. I hope Curl doesn't just go over there and take over Montaric Brown, I hope Brown is right there neck and neck with him. We can't win with 2 safeties.

I can't wait I'm so excited about this season. I wish it started tomorrow

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

code red

I am afraid...until defensive recruiting improves...we will be more of the same.  Swiss cheese defense.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: code red on March 13, 2018, 11:53:01 am
I am afraid...until defensive recruiting improves...we will be more of the same.  Swiss cheese defense.
nope. We will see a huge improvement with these same cats, you'll see.  wps
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

oldfart

lets remember we not only have chavis directing the defense but also the return of steve caldwell who arguably is on of the best DE coaches around

elksnort

Quote from: ChitownHawg on March 09, 2018, 06:00:38 am
Can you imagine what Chief would have done with Flowers, Spaight, and Philon?
Probably not any better than Smith with those 3 key guys. Great players make the coaches better.

MuskogeeHogFan

March 13, 2018, 07:01:48 pm #61 Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 07:30:42 pm by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on March 13, 2018, 12:18:46 pm

I think we will see a difference, in any case. How much improvement overall? We will see. We will certainly see more attempts at pressure and hopefully, that schemed up pressure will be successful. My hope is that along with that pressure we find a Secondary that is better at coverage and through greater pressure, finds a way to make more plays on thrown balls and hopefully, grab more INT's. No matter what, we need to learn to make sound tackles that limits YAC.

Reduce our scoring defense by 14 points (36 to 22) p/gm and we have a chance to be very good. But let's keep in mind that A&M allowed almost 31 Pts/gm last season while being tied for 2nd in the nation in Sacks (43). Truth is, I'd be happy in the first year with a reduction in pts allowed of 7 to 10 pts/gm however we come by it.
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

More on Chavis and some of his quotes about his defensive philosophy. Examples of various defensive alignments are included in this linked article.

"To be successful, you have to play aggressive, attacking defense. That does not mean you have to blitz every down. We are going to do it by coming off the ball with our down defenders and putting pressure on the offensive line. That is the mentality of our front. Our 3-technique and our 9-technique players are going to get off the ball and penetrate. We want to play on their side of the line of scrimmage."

"We will strip at the football every opportunity that we get... We talked about turnovers earlier, but you have to have a head coach that will work with you in this aspect. You play like you practice, and it is important that we play aggressive in practice. It is important to know how to strip the football and when to do it... I thought we did a good job of stripping the ball until I went down and watched the Saints practice. It was unbelievable. There were some players on offense who did not like the way they did it in practice. However, I bet they liked the Super Bowl championship ring they got. They forced many turnovers this year, and it did not happen by accident."

"You cannot play defense if you are not a great tackler. There has not been a single day that we have been on the field that we do not practice tackling. Even if we are in shorts, we will practice the fundamentals of tackling."

"We want to be a defense that gets an extra man in the box to make it tougher on the offense. We'll rock one of the two safeties down 70% of the time. We are a gap control defense."

Chavis is also known for letting his corners play a lot of press coverage, man-to-man with little safety help. No doubt his playbook has a lot of that but in the spirit of multiplicity, it also includes every other standard coverage and combination you could ask for. Cover 2, Cover 3, Cover 4, man, zone, Cover 6 (quarter/quarter/half), and more. A good 25% of his playbook is dedicated to blitzes, out of all coverages and fronts. He will play both man and zone behind a blitz.

https://www.goodbullhunting.com/2015/1/8/7500641/the-john-chavis-impact-fixing-the-aggie-defense
Go Hogs Go!

twistitup

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on March 13, 2018, 12:18:46 pm

We will...but once we have a couple recruiting cycles - then we see MAJOR improvement of quality depth

Depth is everything in the SEC

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 14, 2018, 07:27:14 am
More on Chavis and some of his quotes about his defensive philosophy. Examples of various defensive alignments are included in this linked article.

"To be successful, you have to play aggressive, attacking defense. That does not mean you have to blitz every down. We are going to do it by coming off the ball with our down defenders and putting pressure on the offensive line. That is the mentality of our front. Our 3-technique and our 9-technique players are going to get off the ball and penetrate. We want to play on their side of the line of scrimmage."

"We will strip at the football every opportunity that we get... We talked about turnovers earlier, but you have to have a head coach that will work with you in this aspect. You play like you practice, and it is important that we play aggressive in practice. It is important to know how to strip the football and when to do it... I thought we did a good job of stripping the ball until I went down and watched the Saints practice. It was unbelievable. There were some players on offense who did not like the way they did it in practice. However, I bet they liked the Super Bowl championship ring they got. They forced many turnovers this year, and it did not happen by accident."

"You cannot play defense if you are not a great tackler. There has not been a single day that we have been on the field that we do not practice tackling. Even if we are in shorts, we will practice the fundamentals of tackling."

"We want to be a defense that gets an extra man in the box to make it tougher on the offense. We'll rock one of the two safeties down 70% of the time. We are a gap control defense."

Chavis is also known for letting his corners play a lot of press coverage, man-to-man with little safety help. No doubt his playbook has a lot of that but in the spirit of multiplicity, it also includes every other standard coverage and combination you could ask for. Cover 2, Cover 3, Cover 4, man, zone, Cover 6 (quarter/quarter/half), and more. A good 25% of his playbook is dedicated to blitzes, out of all coverages and fronts. He will play both man and zone behind a blitz.

https://www.goodbullhunting.com/2015/1/8/7500641/the-john-chavis-impact-fixing-the-aggie-defense

I thought that this part was particularly interesting and, needed.

Go Hogs Go!

DeltaBoy

We will see some improvement this Fall.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

AHiD

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 14, 2018, 08:38:32 pm
I thought that this part was particularly interesting and, needed.

I think this means Arkansas is getting its own Bountygate program.
My name...is Jerruh

nwahogfan1

Quote from: oldbear on March 09, 2018, 08:06:40 am
I really beliieve that this is the type of scheme Arkansas desperately needs to even the playing field. If I am understanding correctly, Chief brings pressure often, but brings it from a different place pretty much every time. In my min this is a great equalizer.

Causing confusion to the offense allows you to make up for athletic deficiency. I have seen this hold true for several years now in high school games and believe it translates well to the college level. We have been trying to rely too long on getting someone up front to just straight up win. We simply don't have enough freaks to accomplish this.

Sounds like Chavis really is the answer.

I love blitzing and bringing pressure from different places but it does put a lot of pressure on our DBs to make plays either tackles or pass break ups in space and sometimes without any help.  Again I am happy for the change but it does come with its problems especially if we do not have these players to make plays in space.

bennyl08

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on March 20, 2018, 08:18:11 am
I love blitzing and bringing pressure from different places but it does put a lot of pressure on our DBs to make plays either tackles or pass break ups in space and sometimes without any help.  Again I am happy for the change but it does come with its problems especially if we do not have these players to make plays in space.

I think those problems are mitigated with an explosive offense though. I've used the saint's super bowl defense as an example on here many times before. It's the same style of defense that the Oregon Ducks use too. When your offense can put up so many points, honestly, it's better to let the opposing team get the occasional 60 yard pass rather than let them have an 8 minute drive.

Have the defense go balls to the wall getting pressure, trying to strip the ball, and jumping routes for the interception. Inevitably, you lose gap control, you'll get burned deep, and you'll miss tackles going for the strip allowing some big runs. However, those deep passes are difficult for most qb's to complete in the first place. The opposing offense will be under immense pressure feeling like they will need to get points on every possession while you'll at least get some strips, some tfl's and sacks, and some turnovers. Giving up 30 points is fine since your offense will score 50 type of deal.

Obviously you don't do that every single snap. You get them into third and long and you probably play to force the punt type of deal, or if you are at the goalline, you probably try to not give up any easy td's. You tweak how aggressive you are to how well the opposing offense can handle your defense. If you have a Ryan Mallett or Cam Newton, yeah they probably will hit that deep pass way more often than not so you might coach the db's to be less aggressive jumping the routes, etc...

Rudy Baylor

Quote from: SooieGeneris on March 10, 2018, 09:45:36 pm
Disagree. Safeties need to be physically stronger and tougher than CBs, but there are many examples of pros who transition to safety from CB toward the end of their careers. Ronnie Lott and Rod Woodson and others played at a high level at safety in their mid-30s after starting at CB for years.

They were not better athletes at 35 than they were at 25... but they could anticipate better and knew the game better. How many guys start at safety for years, then switch to CB? I can't think of any..

so you meant to say, you agree

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on March 20, 2018, 08:18:11 am

While we may see an increase in Sacks and QB Pressures this coming season, I suspect there will be a lot of folks complaining about the number of passing yards we give up under Chavis. I think we have some pretty good DB's but even really good DB's are going to have passes completed in front of them.
Go Hogs Go!