Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who else is done with this team?

Started by hogwildjoshua, February 05, 2018, 10:19:19 am

Previous topic - Next topic

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: k.c.hawg on February 06, 2018, 09:38:08 am
Same place I've been with Hog basketball for the last 45 years. I start every season knowing Dec thru March would suck without basketball. Football runs thru January but the number of games tails off and that leaves nothing but basketball. In those 45 years, I could count the times I've missed a Hog game broadcast/telecast or live game, probably on one hand. By late November I have a deep emotional investment in the team and in the possibilities for the team. Emotional investment increases or decreases based on the success as the season goes. I cannot wake up angry for 2 or 3 days after all 15 losses in a 15 loss season. That however does not keep me from starting every game with hopes for that particular game. I mean WTH else would I prefer doing on Tuesday Feb 6th at 6pm than anticipating a Hog game. I hope to hell we get the win tonight.....if 5 minutes in to the 2nd half it looks like a lost cause I will have calmed down and watch the string out......hoping to see something encouraging from a young player.

Boom. Exactly. We have so many wish washy fans nowadays. Can only cheer for the home team if we're winning.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

OkieBack

Quote from: Ironhawg on February 05, 2018, 10:36:48 am
I'll enjoy the wins and won't sweat the losses.  It is what it is.

Same here.  I don't see this being the end for Mike.  I do see this season as a severe wake-up call.  He and his staff better have a more diversely talented group coming in next year.  He has to get over a hump.  Last year was almost that year sans getting booted from the NCAAT by the eventual NC.  But like you said, it is what it is.  Eventually (you notice I'm not giving Mike an indefinite amount of time) this team will need to get to the Elite 8 or Final Four again.  It is expected and it is completely capable.

But as for you whiners...if you are "done" with this basketball team then why don't you go talk baseball like you are crying about?  If you are done, then be done with it and shut up.  All your griping isn't going to get Mike removed this year so give it up.

RagingHawgOn

I've never been done with a Hog team in any sport. I watch/attend every game possible, just as I always have. I want to win every time out but won't slit my wrist over any loss.

Having said that, I am 100% pissed off at where we are in year 7 and it won't change.

OkieBack

Quote from: RagingHawgOn on February 06, 2018, 10:15:12 am
I've never been done with a Hog team in any sport. I watch/attend every game possible, just as I always have. I want to win every time out but won't slit my wrist over any loss.

Having said that, I am 100% pissed off at where we are in year 7 and it won't change.

No, there is allot of frustration and anger to go around.  So I don't blame fans for venting about poor play.  I just don't believe the majority fan base is ready to shut the book on the Mike Anderson Era, at least considering all the missing pieces to the puzzle we see this year.  Mike has a limited timetable now to get it fixed.  After that, he is fan fodder.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: OkieBack on February 06, 2018, 10:02:54 am
Same here.  I don't see this being the end for Mike.  I do see this season as a severe wake-up call.  He and his staff better have a more diversely talented group coming in next year.  He has to get over a hump.  Last year was almost that year sans getting booted from the NCAAT by the eventual NC.  But like you said, it is what it is.  Eventually (you notice I'm not giving Mike an indefinite amount of time) this team will need to get to the Elite 8 or Final Four again.  It is expected and it is completely capable.

But as for you whiners...if you are "done" with this basketball team then why don't you go talk baseball like you are crying about?  If you are done, then be done with it and shut up.  All your griping isn't going to get Mike removed this year so give it up.
Hogs up! Covid down!

lynbug

I've been watching  (and listening in the 60s and 70s) to Razorback basketballI  for DECADES.  I hung with them during the Heath and Pelphrey years.  Surely to goodness I can hang on during the Anderson years.  I came from a family that would eat, sleep, live and breath all sports at all levels.  I have continued all throughout my life.  When one of my teams (especially the Razorbacks) disappoints me I feel like I've been punched in the stomach.  But....miraculously I bounce back.  Nothing (even losing) lasts forever.....does it?

LA Football fan

Quote from: lynbug on February 06, 2018, 12:58:12 pm
I've been watching  (and listening in the 60s and 70s) to Razorback basketballI  for DECADES.  I hung with them during the Heath and Pelphrey years.  Surely to goodness I can hang on during the Anderson years.  I came from a family that would eat, sleep, live and breath all sports at all levels.  I have continued all throughout my life.  When one of my teams (especially the Razorbacks) disappoints me I feel like I've been punched in the stomach.  But....miraculously I bounce back.  Nothing (even losing) lasts forever.....does it?

Never done with them.  Will hope for the best and pull for success.   Mike has earned next year but the excuses for his on court product end there.  He has had more than enough time to recruit HIS type athletes and install HIS system completely.  Either he produces NCAA tourney appearances or it is time to move on.  7 years is more than enough time to give a coach to produce or not.   Blaming holes in the roster is nothing more than excusing Mike for poor recruiting.  If there are holes there it falls directly at Mike's feet end of story.  I do think next year our roster will be balanced in size and talent to take a step up but it all boils down to coaching and putting players in a position to succeed.  Mike has stabilized the foundation and gotten fan interest back for the program but it can turn on a dime if we keep losing games.

hawkhawg

I supported them thru Heath and Pelphrey, Im sure not abandoning them now.

greenEGnHAWGS

Too bad y'all are done with this team. Missing a heck of a game.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

PORKULATOR

OP is a loser. Loser mentality, probably cheats against the computer when playing Madden when no one is watching. That kind of loser.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

PORKULATOR

I'm never done with any Hog team. I'm always there till the end.
Never Yield
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

hoglady

Quote from: hawkhawg on February 06, 2018, 01:30:06 pm
I supported them thru Heath and Pelphrey, Im sure not abandoning them now.

Me, too.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

PonderinHog

You can tell a Razorback fan, but you can't tell him much.  I'm stubborn that way.

panhandlepig

I was never done with this team. Pissed? Worried? Frustrated? Yep.

Go Hogs. Screw Vandy.

SPAL

Quote from: Knot2brite on February 05, 2018, 07:49:14 pm
I will intentionally watch them up until February 16 and then I will watch them only if they don't interfere with baseball. If there is another college baseball game on at the same time as the Hogs basketball game is and I want to watch the baseball game .....then I will probably dvr the game and watch the baseball game. I have decided that I am still a fan...just not a diehard fan...I figure it will be the same this fall

Pretty much this. I will always root for the hogs, but if it's a choice between the two.....I'll go baseball 100 times out of 100.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: PORKULATOR on February 06, 2018, 08:11:04 pm
OP is a loser. Loser mentality, probably cheats against the computer when playing Madden when no one is watching. That kind of loser.

That's almost as bad as someone who cheats at Solitaire.
Hogs up! Covid down!

hogwildjoshua

Quote from: PORKULATOR on February 06, 2018, 08:11:04 pm

I don't lose at Madden.  Play me online and I'll show you.  I didn't enjoy the win we played a terrible team congrats 👏👏👏

Pumbaa

You can be done with this team if you like I suppose, but if the season ended today they would be in the tourney. Not something many of our basketball teams in recent history have successfully done. For me, I'll continue watching and rooting. Hopefully they have it turned around. The rest of the regular season has a lot of winnable games.

LZH

hogwildjoshua

Quote from: Pumbaa on February 08, 2018, 07:14:34 pm
You can be done with this team if you like I suppose, but if the season ended today they would be in the tourney. Not something many of our basketball teams in recent history have successfully done. For me, I'll continue watching and rooting. Hopefully they have it turned around. The rest of the regular season has a lot of winnable games.

And we would get bounced the first weekend...again.  We are still a bubble team, and there are also a lot of loseable games on the schedule including scrappy Vanderbilt this weekend

Breems

Quote from: hogwildjoshua on February 08, 2018, 10:30:29 pm
And we would get bounced the first weekend...again.  We are still a bubble team, and there are also a lot of loseable games on the schedule including scrappy Vanderbilt this weekend

Screw Vanderbilt.

Say it with me: "Dubya"
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

PonderinHog

Pumbaa

Quote from: hogwildjoshua on February 08, 2018, 10:30:29 pm

Only 16 teams make it past the first weekend. It's been a long time since we have been 1 of those 16. To be one of the 16 you have to be 1 of the 68 to start. We haven't been 1 of the 68 consistently in some time and I'm dang happy to be cheering these guys for at least a spot to contend. No, I'm not happy with how we have been playing but there is still time to turn it around and now is the time for it to happen. I don't understand giving up on them yet.....but that's just me.

HawgsPolo

For those that are done that means no more post for the remainder of the season right?  I just want to make sure I understand correctly.
Go Cubs Go!!!!!

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: LZH on February 08, 2018, 07:57:08 pm
Sorry, I've totally lost interest.
why? Did you totally lose focus in football when we have been one of the worst teams in the SEC? We are 16-8 and have a chance to win the SEC tourney, get over yourself.
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

pigture perfect

There are times when I think I almost am, but then they play well for a couple of games. My hopes get built up, then dashed again. I'm pretty much only watching them after I hear the final score.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

jst01

"Done" to me means done believing that a new game will bring any new hope that things will ever be consistently better. That a new season/players will finally solve the issues that have plagued this program for many years - no true point guards, no depth with any big guys that can take over in the paint and the awful perimeter D. 

Done doesn't have to mean, I'm done being a fan and "wanting" the Hogs to be better. Done is just the feeling that I'd be naive to think it's going to happen after the last decade of evidence.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: HawgsPolo on February 09, 2018, 05:58:38 am
For those that are done that means no more post for the remainder of the season right?  I just want to make sure I understand correctly.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Dirty

Well, bye! I'm watching and supporting them!

hogwildjoshua

Quote from: Dirty on February 09, 2018, 08:24:24 am
Well, bye! I'm watching and supporting them!

I'm still gonna watch, but I'm done with the lack of effort this team plays with sometimes (most of the time actually).  And the lack of coaching by the most Mediocre and Average coach in the country.  That's a fact.

FineAsSwine

Hogs up! Covid down!

OkieBack

Quote from: HawgsPolo on February 09, 2018, 05:58:38 am

Amen!  I think too many have invested way too much thinking this was some sort of Elite 8 team and its not.  Accept the program for what it is.  Yeah, we all wish they would play better at times as do the coaches.  But believe me if it gets bad enough, then a change will be made. 

But at this point I think the man is doing his job as best he can with what he has to work with.  If MA's argument is that recruits have dropped off or he is not able to get the players he needs to round out a top 10 class then that is on him and his coaches.  If changes need to be made in the coaching ranks or with recruiters then so be it.  Eventually it will all play out as it should.  Either Mike will get his recruiting class and put his most stellar team on the court or else his losses are going to pile up and eventually get him removed.

Until then, stop your sulking and root for the team.  To say they are not exciting to watch at times is not a true statement.  Go Hogs!!!