Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

AJ Turner/ Trey Flowers

Started by BrianWPS!!, November 24, 2012, 12:11:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BrianWPS!!

These two are going to be the biggest impact players next year and im calling it right now.
Turner came out this season as the best form tackler we have on defense. Fundamentally he is awesome. I saw him stick 33 right in his tracks, wrap up, and drive him back. He could be the best recruit out of this class by far. Huge things to come from him.

Flowers is already a better run stopper than bequette ever was and he stays in his backside gap. He is everywhere and his arms allow no one to get a good hold on him.

What makes this all better is the fact that this talent is on defense!! IMO we should keep Haynes and let him develop this young talent.  This was just something to differ from the normal boo hoo bitching about jls and long that hogville is overrun with.

HogWall Jackson

Rocky&Boarwinkle

The one silver lining of this dumpster fire of a season was seeing these youngsters get a chance to get much better on defense.  Gaines and Peters kept improving all year too, and Hines, while getting burned at times looked better than the senior Winston did with three years of experience. Losing some of our interior D line will hurt.  Any chance Highsmith etc. can get a 5th year with the injuries this year?

Letsroll1200

T. Flowers, D.D. Jones, B. Jones, C. Smith thats a pretty good starting d-line. AJ Turner  will be another jerico nelson. The guy plays hard and tough. 

Lakerhog

Chris Smith is our best defender by a mile.

Hognam Style

Hines showing improvement and we know how good Tevin Mitchell can be. Otha could be a great one too

BrianWPS!!

Quote from: Lakerhog on November 24, 2012, 12:24:33 pm
Chris Smith is our best defender by a mile.

See I don't agree, I think smith is great but he's presented with a lot of opportunities because of the fact that people will simply not run to flowers side. Because you go nowhere. A lot of smiths sacks take place because the qb holds the ball way to long for smith to beat his one on one. Much like mettenberger. AJ will be another jerico Nelson but his size is linebacker size. Hell be a stud.

BrianWPS!!

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on November 24, 2012, 12:21:07 pm
T. Flowers, D.D. Jones, B. Jones, C. Smith thats a pretty good starting d-line. AJ Turner  will be another jerico nelson. The guy plays hard and tough.

Unfortunately dd is a senior this year. I loved his loud mouth attitude and no helmet tackle

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on November 24, 2012, 12:21:07 pm

DD was a senior, unless there is a possible "medical redshirt" there.  The rest were all underclassmen.  Green was a senior transfer and does anyone know what happened to Askew?  Is Philon still here?  I assumed he was redshirting, and he wasn't taken off the roster.  Also, what happened with Atiga?  were Peters and Turner so much better than him? I assume so, but I stopped keeping up with the injuries half way through.

LSPRazorbac

Quote from: Hognam Style on November 24, 2012, 12:25:06 pm
Hines showing improvement and we know how good Tevin Mitchell can be. Otha could be a great one too

Conerback is one of the toughest to play as a freshman.  Hines is gonna be a good one with the proper coaching.

bennyl08

Otha is much better right now than Turner. Turner is a good tackler and solid in the running game, but his coverage skills are far from proficient. Otha has very good instincts, tackles well, and is very balanced in his ability to stick his nose in the gap on the run game or cover in the pass game.

Trey could be very good, but he needs a better DE coach. Early in the season where I rewatched several games taking notes on each play, Flowers is extremely athletic. His burst off the line at times is elite, and he has a multitude of moves to get to the passer (spinning, speed, swim, an occasional bull rush). However, teams can take advantage of his aggressive style by having him overpursue. Still, he's only a sophomore and as he refines his raw talent, he will become a good one.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

bennyl08

Quote from: Rocky&Boarwinkle on November 24, 2012, 12:33:46 pm
DD was a senior, unless there is a possible "medical redshirt" there.  The rest were all underclassmen.  Green was a senior transfer and does anyone know what happened to Askew?  Is Philon still here?  I assumed he was redshirting, and he wasn't taken off the roster.  Also, what happened with Atiga?  were Peters and Turner so much better than him? I assume so, but I stopped keeping up with the injuries half way through.

Atiga, from what I saw during spring practices either had trouble learning the defensive schemes, or if he knew them, did not show good instincts on the field.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Also, don't forget Robert Thomas.  He is just listed as a junior, and that bull rush he pulled off down around LSU's 10 yard line was a thing of beauty.  He just pushed that right tackle right back into Mettenberger and rolled them all up into a ball.

tophawg19

Taver Johnson  should be considered as a keeper . or lb's peters and turner have shown marked improvement also the d- line coach
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

davispard

Quote from: Rocky&Boarwinkle on November 24, 2012, 12:41:48 pm
Also, don't forget Robert Thomas.  He is just listed as a junior, and that bull rush he pulled off down around LSU's 10 yard line was a thing of beauty.  He just pushed that right tackle right back into Mettenberger and rolled them all up into a ball. That may have been the only that happened this year; maybe in 2 years...

SouthSide Johnny

Quote from: HogWall Jackson on November 24, 2012, 12:14:14 pm
No on Haynes.

CBP hired him from Ohio State and then all of a sudden he just got stupid and devoid of all coaching ability.... I Don't believe that for a minute...  First it's Free Willy and now it's hate on Haynes Oh My
Some Say it's Raining Elephants but They Go Outside Anyway..

BrianWPS!!

Quote from: bennyl08 on November 24, 2012, 12:39:46 pm
Otha is much better right now than Turner. Turner is a good tackler and solid in the running game, but his coverage skills are far from proficient. Otha has very good instincts, tackles well, and is very balanced in his ability to stick his nose in the gap on the run game or cover in the pass game.

Trey could be very good, but he needs a better DE coach. Early in the season where I rewatched several games taking notes on each play, Flowers is extremely athletic. His burst off the line at times is elite, and he has a multitude of moves to get to the passer (spinning, speed, swim, an occasional bull rush). However, teams can take advantage of his aggressive style by having him overpursue. Still, he's only a sophomore and as he refines his raw talent, he will become a good one.

Very well put. Ill go back and watch games and focus on Otha. I just see aj going head to head with people and those arms come flying. It's beautiful actually. Otha really excites me too. I was one to think that jerry Franklin was underrated for our defense and it showed when we lost him.
Flowers, I'd honestly rather have an aggressive defensive end rather that one that got blown off the ball like Arkansas defensive ends have for years now.
Let's not forget those mountain of men that we recruited for defensive line this year. I've seen them on campus and they are the biggest people I've ever seen and they're only freshmen. Im talking about jamichael and deatrich.
Very exciting stuff fellas

Hoggy1

This young defense has alot of upside an I think they'll be middle of the pack in SEC next year, but let's not get all knee-jerk....the whole staff should be fired.
You must be smokin somethin if you think I ain't smokin nothin

Bubba's Bruisers

AJ might be the best athlete on defense, but raw.  He's definitely got potential.  Peters and Hines will grow into excellent players too.  Lots more potential with Philon, Winston, Wise and Johnson.  A competent defensive coaching staff certainly will have some good, young pieces to work with. 

Just need to get some DT's in this class (and next) and need to avoid an unexpected surprise of someone jumping early...like Jones and Thomas.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

bennyl08

Quote from: BrianWPS!! on November 24, 2012, 12:55:21 pm

Very well put. Ill go back and watch games and focus on Otha. I just see aj going head to head with people and those arms come flying. It's beautiful actually. Otha really excites me too. I was one to think that jerry Franklin was underrated for our defense and it showed when we lost him.
Flowers, I'd honestly rather have an aggressive defensive end rather that one that got blown off the ball like Arkansas defensive ends have for years now.
Let's not forget those mountain of men that we recruited for defensive line this year. I've seen them on campus and they are the biggest people I've ever seen and they're only freshmen. Im talking about jamichael and deatrich.
Very exciting stuff fellas

I am perhaps most excited about the future at DE for the hogs. Smith and Flowers with the starting, leadership role, Wise, Winston, and the other young players in backup. That will be a deep and very talented position for us in the next couple of years. With Jones and Thomas manning the leading roles inside, we have Hodge and Philon as our projected best backups. Losing DD, Davis?, and Greene will hurt our depth there some, but having 8 talented DL-men is not too bad at all.

Also, let's not forget about Lake and Austin Jones at LB. While Turner and Otha may be the leading guys, they have some decent backups, though depth is still an overall concern.

Hogeration

Said Flowers was gonna be a stud after the 2011 Bama game.  Turner was a man yesterday.  Played like a LB should.  Stepped up in the hole and met the ball head on.  I also thought Chris Smith showed why he was highly touted.  Took till the last quarter of the year but he showed us something.

BrianWPS!!

Quote from: bennyl08 on November 24, 2012, 01:12:08 pm
I am perhaps most excited about the future at DE for the hogs. Smith and Flowers with the starting, leadership role, Wise, Winston, and the other young players in backup. That will be a deep and very talented position for us in the next couple of years. With Jones and Thomas manning the leading roles inside, we have Hodge and Philon as our projected best backups. Losing DD, Davis?, and Greene will hurt our depth there some, but having 8 talented DL-men is not too bad at all.

Also, let's not forget about Lake and Austin Jones at LB. While Turner and Otha may be the leading guys, they have some decent backups, though depth is still an overall concern.

Well I think we've both proven that the talent is going to be there on d but talent or not, it all depends on our new coach. The most important part of a team and that's proven this year.

BigSexyHog

I thought all the freshmen showed great improvement over the last couple of weeks.  All they need is to hit the weight room and keep working to get better.  They have some very good talent.
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

ListenHereMister

JethroB.

Quote from: Rocky&Boarwinkle on November 24, 2012, 12:15:23 pm
The one silver lining of this dumpster fire of a season was seeing these youngsters get a chance to get much better on defense.  Gaines and Peters kept improving all year too, and Hines, while getting burned at times looked better than the senior Winston did with three years of experience. Losing some of our interior D line will hurt.  Any chance Highsmith etc. can get a 5th year with the injuries this year?

This is similar to BP's first year when we were 5-7. We were playing with a pretty big amount of underclassmen then too. Maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel.

RyeHogFan

If our freshmen LBs can get better at pass coverage, the sky is the limit. If our DB's get stronger, get better at shedding blocks, and work on better route recognition, they are talented enough to be really good. If our young DL, along with BJones and Thomas, can step up and provide great depth in the rotation, we won't see a big drop-off. These are all some really big "ifs" but it is with these improvements that our season will ride on. I hope our next coach can push all of these men to their maximum potential.