Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How did we get here? how did Arkansas become the worst team in the sec?

Started by forrest city joe, November 04, 2017, 09:07:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Lady Razorback

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 05, 2017, 05:54:16 am
You weren't in a Coma From 2009-2012 were you?  We temporarily had gotten exactly what we said was possible if we fired Nutt.  Then Jeff fired CBP, hired clown #1 and clown #2 to run the program and you have what we have.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. 

hogsanity

If your response has anything to do with the firing of BP, you are being far too short sighted. The problems in football go back almost 4 decades now.

Yes, 10 and 11 were fabulous seasons, BUT they were just in keeping with the high peak, long low valleys of the program since 1970. Made a BCS bowl, great, however 50 other programs made at least one bcs bowl during the bcs era. Powers such as Wake Forest, NIU, Uconn, Pitt, Hawaii, Illinois all made a BCS game. 10 and 11 were nothing that we had not seen before.

Hog history is littered with seasons that were good, maybe great, and tantalizingly close to spectacular. 2011, 2010, 2006, 1998, 1989, 1988, 1985, 1979, 1977, 1975, all in my lifetime, had the Hogs within reach of playing for a NC. Always managing to pull defeat from the jaws of victory at the most inopportune moment.

This Hog team shows the folly of what most Hog fans want though. They want a offense 1st team. The only way the Hogs are ever going to actually play for the sec title again is to commit to building a defense that is the calibre of those fielded by SEC Title team. That is, of course, if the goal is to actually win titles. The Hogs have shown over the years they can put teams on the field that can win 7, 8, 9, even 10+ on occasion, but they have always been a DEFENSE away from actually putting metal on the mantle. Sat, the Hogs gave up 228 passing yards to a team averaging under 200 in a league not known for defense. The Db's once again, like they do every game, seemed lost, unable to actually turn around and find the football. They allowed CC to convert 8 of 15 3rd downs and 1 of 2 4th downs.

Arkansas will fire BB sometime between now and Dec 1, and Hog fans will again cry for a coach that runs an exciting offense, just like they did when Hatfield left, and Ford left, and HDN left, but if they really want titles, they would scream from the Mt Top for a guy who will commit to building a sec calibre DEFENSE.  That again is IF the goa of the fans is to actually see a title ( div, SEC, or NC ) brought home to Fayetteville.   
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

GuvHog

Quote from: Pork Twain on November 05, 2017, 09:17:58 pm
Much easier for these guys to blame Long, because he is not a good ole boy, hoping we all forgot how they used to hammer JFB because he was a good ole boy.  One thing they are solid on, it is never CBP's fault for anything.

I never hammered Frank. He wasn't perfect and did make some mistakes and I didn't care if he was a good ole boy. Jeff Long was a walking mistake the day he first stepped on campus as the U of A Athletic Director. I had really hoped that I was wrong about what I thought of him when he was hired and that he would be successful. Sadly I was right about him all along.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

elviscat

We got to the current state of affairs when JL was hired by John White. It's been a downhill slope ever since. He is the worst AD Arkansas has ever had. Fire him and replace with a competent person that will hire great coaches and hold everyone accountable and see the results change.

bkjbearcat

Quote from: hogsanity on November 06, 2017, 09:12:26 am
If your response has anything to do with the firing of BP, you are being far too short sighted. The problems in football go back almost 4 decades now.

Yes, 10 and 11 were fabulous seasons, BUT they were just in keeping with the high peak, long low valleys of the program since 1970. Made a BCS bowl, great, however 50 other programs made at least one bcs bowl during the bcs era. Powers such as Wake Forest, NIU, Uconn, Pitt, Hawaii, Illinois all made a BCS game. 10 and 11 were nothing that we had not seen before.

Hog history is littered with seasons that were good, maybe great, and tantalizingly close to spectacular. 2011, 2010, 2006, 1998, 1989, 1988, 1985, 1979, 1977, 1975, all in my lifetime, had the Hogs within reach of playing for a NC. Always managing to pull defeat from the jaws of victory at the most inopportune moment.

This Hog team shows the folly of what most Hog fans want though. They want a offense 1st team. The only way the Hogs are ever going to actually play for the sec title again is to commit to building a defense that is the calibre of those fielded by SEC Title team. That is, of course, if the goal is to actually win titles. The Hogs have shown over the years they can put teams on the field that can win 7, 8, 9, even 10+ on occasion, but they have always been a DEFENSE away from actually putting metal on the mantle. Sat, the Hogs gave up 228 passing yards to a team averaging under 200 in a league not known for defense. The Db's once again, like they do every game, seemed lost, unable to actually turn around and find the football. They allowed CC to convert 8 of 15 3rd downs and 1 of 2 4th downs.

Arkansas will fire BB sometime between now and Dec 1, and Hog fans will again cry for a coach that runs an exciting offense, just like they did when Hatfield left, and Ford left, and HDN left, but if they really want titles, they would scream from the Mt Top for a guy who will commit to building a sec calibre DEFENSE.  That again is IF the goa of the fans is to actually see a title ( div, SEC, or NC ) brought home to Fayetteville.

Isn't the guy who is the HC now a former D coordinator? A bad D plus a 1990's offence isn't a good combo.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on November 04, 2017, 09:24:41 pm
Ole miss is worse. Florida is worse. VAndy is worse. Tennesee is worse. Than us.

We are terrible though
Not true at all. Hogs were lucky to win vs Ole Miss. Biggest come from behind win in Arkansas football history. Won by a point. Vandy would beat the Hogs in my opinion. Fla and TN both tossups but to say they are worse than Arkansas is just biased fan talk. There is no team in SEC that is worse than Arkansas.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

hogsanity

Quote from: bkjbearcat on November 06, 2017, 09:43:51 am
Isn't the guy who is the HC now a former D coordinator? A bad D plus a 1990's offence isn't a good combo.

I am talking about hiring a guy who is willing to come in and basically make his 1st 2 classes all defense.  I would be happy if he could just for some db's that can actually cover and turn and look for the ball. How many times over the last decade have we watched our db's run with their man, yet never look for the ball and either get a flag or just watch their man catch the ball when all they had to do was put their hand up and they probably knock it down.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

VegasHog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 06, 2017, 08:43:19 am
John Boy White wants us to be Rice or Vandy.

I don't disagree with the premise but look at the numbers and we still lag far behind half the conference in academics so we're failing miserably at getting to Vanderbilt level in the classroom and unfortunately getting to that level in sports has been now been accomplished.

3kgthog

Jeff chose a coach running a system that Nutt proved couldn't work here without a Heisman level RB, one heck of an o-line, or a once in a generation athlete like MJ at QB. We had none of those things, but Jeff pulled the trigger anyway.

Long story short, Alvarez pegged our program in his LRTDC speech. We went with the buttkisser instead of the right fit. Now the kids are paying for it and we're just the folks passing by gawking at the car accident.

Youngsta71701

We got here because of coaching. Period. The first two steps of being a good coach is putting your best players on the field and putting those players in the best position to succeed. Bielema has done neither. And when I say position you can look at it in two ways. Putting the best personnel on the field at their best positions (DE or DT, ILB or OLB, DE or OLB, CB or S and so forth, you get the picture) and aligning those players in the right spots on the field (on the inside or outside shoulder of the Tackle, 5 yards, 10 yards or 20 yards off the Receiver and so on). Either way he has failed. A lot of football is situational and we absolutely suck at situational football.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

snoblind

Quote from: 3kgthog on November 06, 2017, 09:54:13 am
Jeff chose a coach running a system that Nutt proved couldn't work here without a Heisman level RB, one heck of an o-line, or a once in a generation athlete like MJ at QB. We had none of those things, but Jeff pulled the trigger anyway.

Long story short, Alvarez pegged our program in his LRTDC speech. We went with the buttkisser instead of the right fit. Now the kids are paying for it and we're just the folks passing by gawking at the car accident.

Jeff also wasn't capable of discerning the person running the system at Whisky was and is Alvarez.  He also overlooked, ah, issues that were there if he had done real leg work.

I've never been a big fan, but I was willing to give BB a chance and time to prove he could do the job.  I was wrong,  y'all were correct.  Not wrong about Long.  Never liked that hire.