Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

6.5 Creedmore

Started by Mr.Swine89, March 30, 2016, 01:23:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Swine89

Thoughts...

I'm going to build one for target shooting and want a little input. I was given the reloading material around Christmas and want to pursue building a custom gun. This will be my first custom.

What do I need to stay away from and what do I need to pursue. I already have optics ready to go. Thanks

DeltaBoy

It a solid round from what I have read.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

lahawg1

I have an 80% lower ordered right now to build an AR10 in 6.5 Creedmore. I'm convinced it's going to be a good round for hog hunting and if I get it built in time I'll take it to Wyoming this fall for Antelope hunting.

kodiakisland

What platform are you planning to build on?  The creedmore is a good round if it meets your needs.  Primarily for short actions or for mid range applications.  If building on a long action or single shot or for shooting past 1000 yards, there are better 6.5s.  Who do you plan on having build it and what components are you planning on using?
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

Rzbakfromwaybak

March 31, 2016, 11:16:51 pm #4 Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 11:43:07 pm by Rzbakfromwaybak
Have a friend that had a 6.5 Creedmoor custom built last year, he loves it.  Krieger barrel, some kind of custom action,(believe its a modified Rem 700)  He's getting uncanny groups at 500-600 yards, 1 1/2 - 2 inches....or better.  He's been using accu-bond 130gr bullets, & H4350 powder.  It's a #4 contour barrel with 8 1/2 twist.  He's getting some 100 & 120gr bullets to try, & see how they do.  Said he was going to built another Creedmoor, but hasn't decided what contour barrel, etc.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

Mr.Swine89

Quote from: kodiakisland on March 30, 2016, 09:26:12 pm
What platform are you planning to build on?  The creedmore is a good round if it meets your needs.  Primarily for short actions or for mid range applications.  If building on a long action or single shot or for shooting past 1000 yards, there are better 6.5s.  Who do you plan on having build it and what components are you planning on using?

I'm going to go bolt action. Much like a rem 700

kodiakisland

Nothing wrong with the 700 especially if you are trying to save money.  Just use a good smith who can true it up as best he can.  Some 700s are a lost cause, but most can be made decent.  What weight are you going for?  barrel and stock make?
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

Mr.Swine89

Quote from: kodiakisland on April 01, 2016, 03:31:08 pm
Nothing wrong with the 700 especially if you are trying to save money.  Just use a good smith who can true it up as best he can.  Some 700s are a lost cause, but most can be made decent.  What weight are you going for?  barrel and stock make?

Black composite stock most likely with a #4 barrel. What are your thoughts about a fluted barrel? Weight I'm not to worried about at the moment. I'm going to bipod it regardless.

kodiakisland

A bit evasive on answers eh?  I guess that's OK.

My opinion on fluted barrels?  Absolute waste of money that could have went into upgrading something else on the project that really matters.  Better action, better trigger, better quality barrel, stock etc.

As far as not worried about weight, it should be of some concern depending on the use of the rifle.  I've had rifles built from 5.5lbs to 14lbs and they're not exactly interchangeable.  Desired weight is what helps you pick a contour of barrel.  #4 doesn't mean much as almost every barrel maker has their own idea of what #4 means.  Which barrel maker are you planning on using?  Also weight has a lot to do with stock design and makeup.  Similar stocks can be several pounds different. 

Are you planning to make these decisions yourself or buy more of a semi custom rifle that is built to the smiths specs?