Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Venables vs Morris

Started by WhenPigsFly, November 29, 2017, 08:51:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WhenPigsFly

Why is a Clemson DC with no HC experience a so much better candidate than a former Clemson OC that has three years HC experience? 

31to6

Quote from: WhenPigsFly on November 29, 2017, 08:51:05 pm
Why is a Clemson DC with no HC experience a so much better candidate than a former Clemson OC that has three years HC experience? 
14-22

TebowHater

Quote from: 31to6 on November 29, 2017, 08:51:52 pm
14-22

Correct. Venables has never had a losing season. Has been in 5 NCs potentially 6. Has won 10+ games 17 of 21 years coaching. Took Clemenson's D from #74 the year before he came to top 10 by year 3 (64 year 1, 24 year 2) where it has stayed for the past four years. Not to mention a top 10 recruiter.

He might be the luckiest coach in football if that just happened by chance.

ShadowHawg

Because the Venables crowd forget his OU defenses.

31to6

Quote from: TebowHater on November 29, 2017, 08:55:25 pm
Correct. Venables has never had a losing season. Has been in 5 NCs potentially 6. Has won 10+ games 17 of 21 years coaching. Took Clemenson's D from 74 the year before he came to top 10 by year 3 where it has stayed for the past four years.

He might be the luckiest coach in football if that just happened by chance.
We have no evidence that Venables will be a winning Head Coach.

On the other hand, the evidence we have shows that Morris has, so far, been underwhelming.

I don't give two shits if he "knocked the interview out of the park". Actual performance MUST be considered.

HiggiePiggy

14-22

So you going to tell the rest of the story about SMU before he got there or just act like they were some great team when he showed up?
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

TebowHater

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on November 29, 2017, 09:04:58 pm
So you going to tell the rest of the story about SMU before he got there or just act like they were some great team when he showed up?

Yep sure will:

SMU record 3 years prior to Morris 13-24
3 years with Morris 14-22

31to6

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on November 29, 2017, 09:04:58 pm
I think everyone knows they have not been good. But that really doesn't matter. You just don't hand the keys to an SEC football team to a guy who's best year is 7-5 at a G5 school.

Busta_Nutt

Quote from: TebowHater on November 29, 2017, 09:12:57 pm
Yep sure will:

Are you also going to mention the regression in the 3 years prior to Morris and the progression in the 3 years with Morris, or not?

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: 31to6 on November 29, 2017, 09:13:11 pm
I think everyone knows they have not been good. But that really doesn't matter. You just don't hand the keys to an SEC football team to a guy who's best year is 7-5 at a G5 school.

We did that with Nutt and he had only 1 year as a G5.  Do you want to give it to a guy that has a lot of years at a P5 school?  How did that work out with the last one we got?  No one knows how a coach is going to be.  At least looking at his record it shows he is turning a program around. 

He isn't my first choice, but I am not going to just hate the Razorbacks because they didn't hire who I wanted.  I'll give the next coach the same treatment that we gave the last coach and the coach before that when they were hired. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

31to6

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on November 29, 2017, 10:13:58 pm
We did that with Nutt and he had only 1 year as a G5. 
Citing Nutt as precedent isn't exactly selling the Chadster.

userpick

Quote from: Busta_Nutt on November 29, 2017, 09:23:47 pm
Are you also going to mention the regression in the 3 years prior to Morris and the progression in the 3 years with Morris, or not?

No. None of them will. People Bitch all the time about us not having a presence in Texas but when one of the most respected coaches in Texas history MIGHT be coming to coach our team, they're talking about flying banners. So much stupidity in this state.

rljjr

The name recognition alone is worth the price of admission. The ability to coach defense. I'd much rather have him than settle for Morris. That's just how fans see it. They would think we won the lottery with Venables because everyone wants him. They would see Morris as settling for less than mediocrity.

NaturalStateReb

14-22

Got to look at the trend at SMU. He's got that program turned around after a complete rebuild.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Hawghiggs

The more I read about Morris the more I see him as a good fit.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: userpick on November 29, 2017, 10:18:04 pm
No. None of them will. People Bitch all the time about us not having a presence in Texas but when one of the most respected coaches in Texas history MIGHT be coming to coach our team, they're talking about flying banners. So much stupidity in this state.

It's the kind of logic that gets people like Donald Trump elected.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

King Kong

Quote from: TebowHater on November 29, 2017, 09:12:57 pm
Yep sure will:

Boom

King Kong

Quote from: Hawghiggs on November 29, 2017, 10:21:31 pm
The more I read about Morris the more I see him as a good fit.

Don't drink and read

GoHogs1091

Venables is 2-1 against Urban Meyer, with one of those 2 wins being Venables shutting-out Meyer, the only time Meyer has ever been shut-out.

Morris is 1-0 against Meyer.

Morris did school Blake Anderson this season.