Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Take it from an OU fan

Started by arkasooner, December 30, 2017, 08:42:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Jackson_64

Great post OP. Thanks for writing this.
Lane Kiffin.

And it is way closer to happening then you think.

Way closer.

PRJ

Optimus Swine

Straight shot of truth.  I think the defeatist attitudes are more reflective of Hogville users than the overall fan base. 
Half the lies they tell about me aren't true.
Yogi Berra

CFB_Fanatic

Didn't read the whole 10 page essay, but I can only assume it was just more rah rah talk about how Arkansas can be prominent, recruiting Texas again, talking about SWC days, etc

Those days are gone. We aren't in the SWC. You hired Gus 2.0 with Houston's car salesman skills. It feels good when you leave the dealership, but then next day you wake up realizing you just paid sticker for a 78 Ford Pinto

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: NuttinItUp on December 30, 2017, 09:21:20 am
I love camping. Roasting marshmallows is the best.

I drink too much while camping to roast marshmallows... Not because of the fire hazard, but because of the fire-ant hazard.!
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Redhogs on December 30, 2017, 08:54:35 am
Bravo..best post on hogville in last 5 years.

Haha...not even in the top 20K.  I'm assuming you didn't read the entire post right?  He wrote all of that just to get to the end so he could take an underhanded dig at us for our alleged deep rooted envy of OU, and Barry Switzer.  Really?  I have ZERO envy for OU. 

And I do agree with him...who would want to go to Norman when they could live in FV??  I don't think you'll find many Hog fans who don't think we can get great again with the right coach, and some bricks falling into place. 

If you sincerely liked that post...being patronized and talked down to like that, then you're not a true Hog fan in my book.   >:(
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Redhogs

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on December 30, 2017, 09:23:38 am
Uh, the realist are a lot closer to saying the things the OP stated than you who want to keep a coach who couldn't win.  You did notice he said Switzer was fired didn't you?  There were meltdowns aplenty in soonerland for quite awhile there and still is with every loss.   

I hype Arkansas every chance I get but way too many of the big dogs on this board think that we as fans just need to settle for whatever the current administration is doing.  Guess what, I don't know what the OP thinks about the way Okie got to where they are but I can tell you it's wasn't by settling for mediocrity.  Way too many on this board don't think Arkansas can do it but that's not the realist it's the ones who constantly settle for whatever the administration dishes out and for the last 30 years that's been pretty bad.
Thank you.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

dayofthehawg1

Boomer.   I wish you all of the luck with the playoffs.  Oklahoma has, and typically always does, unless playing Arkansas, my support.  Hogs will be back.  Sometimes it just takes the right hire. 

From Tusk Till Dawn

Quote from: Possible Oatmeal on December 30, 2017, 10:53:02 am
If I'm not mistaken, wouldn't it have to be at least 30 years for us to find out?

;)
Fair point, but we may get a glimpse if that TV money goes away.  I would guess we would have a general idea in the first few years and I think they would take a few lumps.  But then again, I always thought the Aggies would be much more successful than Missouri when they came in.

urkillnmesmalls

Apparently, I need to a reading comprehension course.  We just got talked down to by an OU fan and people are loving it.  Really?  Did anyone read all of it?  He blatantly took an underhanded dig at us for wishing we were like OU. 

He was a Hog fan, he wasn't a Hog fan, now he's a Hog fan again...and you guys just licked that up?  Good Lord, do we really need OU fans coming on here telling us we can can be great again, and that our envy of OU isn't helping us? 

What the hell as Hogville come to?   ??? ???   What's next, LSU coming on here with their "Johnny come lately" attitude that they're better than sliced bread for the run they've been on since Saban was there?  What about before that? 

Man, I'm NOT seeing what some of you saw in that post.  Patronizing.  Pissed me right off.   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

opineonswine

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 30, 2017, 11:46:31 am
Apparently, I need to a reading comprehension course.  We just got talked down to by an OU fan and people are loving it.  Really?  Did anyone read all of it?  He blatantly took an underhanded dig at us for wishing we were like OU. 

He was a Hog fan, he wasn't a Hog fan, now he's a Hog fan again...and you guys just licked that up?  Good Lord, do we really need OU fans coming on here telling us we can can be great again, and that our envy of OU isn't helping us? 

What the hell as Hogville come to?   ??? ???   What's next, LSU coming on here with their "Johnny come lately" attitude that they're better than sliced bread for the run they've been on since Saban was there?  What about before that? 

Man, I'm NOT seeing what some of you saw in that post.  Patronizing.  Pissed me right off.   

His comments about OU were throw aways for me.  Yes I read the whole thing.  90% of it was dead on accurate and a breath of fresh air.  It was so spot on I just ignored the OU lecture.

Hogtimes

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 30, 2017, 11:38:33 am
Haha...not even in the top 20K.  I'm assuming you didn't read the entire post right?  He wrote all of that just to get to the end so he could take an underhanded dig at us for our alleged deep rooted envy of OU, and Barry Switzer. 

Yep....That was the way I read it.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: From Tusk Till Dawn on December 30, 2017, 11:42:42 am
Fair point, but we may get a glimpse if that TV money goes away.  I would guess we would have a general idea in the first few years and I think they would take a few lumps.  But then again, I always thought the Aggies would be much more successful than Missouri when they came in.

They would have been if they were in the East.  Remember...Mizzou was in the East when they were DOWN, and despite that UGA still dismantled them when they played...but UGA would lose a stupid game or two along the way and hand it to Mizzou.  That's probably what played a big part in Richt getting canned. 

Mizzou was good, but they benefitted from the down East A LOT.  Meanwhile...we can't even beat them, and I'm stunned that we have so many fans focused on us beating TAMU when we've got a losing record to Mizzou since they joined the SEC.  Let that sink in a bit....   We should be mad as fans, and we should expect better. 

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: opineonswine on December 30, 2017, 11:47:59 am
His comments about OU were throw aways for me.  Yes I read the whole thing.  90% of it was dead on accurate and a breath of fresh air.  It was so spot on I just ignored the OU lecture.

I'm cool with people taking it differently.  I lived in Mizzou for a few years, and for awhile there...I would root for them if we weren't playing them.  But...now that we're getting beaten by them, that's out the window. 

That's how this guy strikes me.  "Keep your chin up Arkie....good things will come your way," and it's because OU hasn't been beaten by us in a few decades now. 

I'm not pessimistic in the slightest, but I don't need an OU fan telling me we are a sleeping giant either.  Oh...and don't get me started on Switzer.  He was on the radio the other day acting like they never cheated to get recruits.  GTHOOH with that line of crap.   >:(

Smashmouth2004

Quote from: arkasooner on December 30, 2017, 08:42:42 am
I'm a transplant from OK, having been a Sooner fan all my life. I have sandwiched my support of Arkansas around the '78 Orange Bowl, with some insufferable Hog fans giving me grief bordering on harassment for nine years, until the rematch. I remember distinctly detesting what I perceived to be the fickle fans of the Hogs, who moaned and wailed in the month leading up to Miami, when Holtz unleashed his Jedi mind trick game plan. I was in awe when I heard he had the Hog DBs practicing a prevent defense, which meant of course OU would be desperately playing catch-up, doing what the one thing they weren't comfortable doing: throwing the ball. Amazingly, OU had to ditch the wishbone wizard, Thomas Lott and insert senior Dean Blevins, who was a better passer. Still got creamed.

I knew in the lead-up, however, that Arkansas was a damn good team. That's why I was so astonished by the defeatist attitude of Hog fans. I didn't think you guys deserved such an elite team. Dan Hampton? Are you kidding me? Calcagni? That O-line? Wow.

Before that, because of family ties, I was always a big supporter of the Hogs and rooted for them always. In the last few years, I've taken it back up again.

Which brings me to my point. I've read all the whining and lamenting on this board—everything from "We're not an elite program; we'll always be second-class," to Arkansas can't recruit elite athletes or compete in other ways. "Chad Morris is a horrible hire!" Et cetera.

Listen to a voice of reason.

I sense Arkansas football is heading into a banner season, as in era. Morris will be a home-run hire. Can't recruit elite athletes? You think Norman OK is a destination for people? Manhatten KS? Heck, Columbus OH?

Your problem is between the ears and in the chest cavity. Grow up and support your team! Arkansas might not be a bluest of the blue blood programs, but consider things like this: when I realized that Frank Broyles won seven SWC championships in 20 years—precisely in the era Texas was dominant and programs like A&M were really good...I was astonished! That was a mind-boggling achievement.

This is a solid program with a rich history. Arkansas is a breathtaking, beautiful state. Wal-Mart. Tyson. JB Hunt. Et cetera. Heck, around the corner from the Walton's museum in downtown Bentonville, I ran into an office for Dream Works. Dream Works! Who else has what Arkansas has? Nobody!

You also have to keep in mind that programs turn things around totally within a year or two, all the time. OU was dreadful for a decade after Switzer was forced out. Stoops won it all in his second season. Three of our Heisman winners (out of six) have come in the last 14 years! Clemson hired Swiney and off she went. Georgia was mired in averageness for YEARS until Smart was hired. Now they are in the Rose Bowl with as good a chance to win it all as anyone.

Not all of you of course are fickle. You know what you have and are proud of the program and cheer every Saturday, come what may. But the rest of you? I don't know that you deserve such a great team.

And hey, you may think I'm full of it, or just an idiot Okie. But take it from someone who has followed a Blue Blood program for decades: I believe there is at least some connection between passionate, committed fans and the team's performance.

I was at the famous "Jump Around" game between OU and Texas Tech in 2008. The atmosphere was insane. I've been to Owen Field many times but that night was transcendent. Going to concessions, I could feel the concrete under my feet vibrate and the stadium literally seemed to be swaying. Electric atmosphere. Afterward, the dour Stoops thanked the fans for helping to make the difference. Tech came in ranked very high and got demolished.

Shoot for that. I once had the privilege of visiting Broyles in his office, after the stadium expansion. I looked out of the huge picture window and remember thinking that there isn't a more impressive stadium in the country. Just gorgeous. Nestled in these hills.

It would take me days to list all the state's positive attributes and quite awhile to list the football program's potentials. National championships might not happen, but then again, Arkansas has as good a chance as anyone. Franchises shift. Saban is nearing retirement. Arkansas could absolutely fill that void.

You guys have a jewel. A rare gift. Build on the excellent tradition you have and get behind your team, dammit! Stop with the second-class citizens bit. Stop with the defeatist attitude. Stop with the Switzer hatred/jealousy. Stop hating on OU. It sickens me. Go out and make your own luck.

Some champions are born, some are made. I am rooting for the program and Chad Morris to take you to new heights.

I hope you will deserve it.
Well said my friend. We can be a sleeping giant even though some fake fans don't believe it!

Redhogs

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 30, 2017, 11:38:33 am
Haha...not even in the top 20K.  I'm assuming you didn't read the entire post right?  He wrote all of that just to get to the end so he could take an underhanded dig at us for our alleged deep rooted envy of OU, and Barry Switzer.  Really?  I have ZERO envy for OU. 

And I do agree with him...who would want to go to Norman when they could live in FV??  I don't think you'll find many Hog fans who don't think we can get great again with the right coach, and some bricks falling into place. 

If you sincerely liked that post...being patronized and talked down to like that, then you're not a true Hog fan in my book.   >:(
Piss off...see, you are the problem...you don't get to say who is or who isn't a Hog fan...so freaking ironic..There is not a team I hate more than OU, but what he says about us is spot on. You can poo poo it because it was said by an enemy, but it is correct. 
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Hogtimes

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 30, 2017, 11:46:31 am

^^^^^THIS^^^^

LZH

Good OP.

Now get in line with the rest of us and start complaining.

I don't care what arkasooner's intent was, what he stated is correct.  However, what would you want him to do, dis his favorite team.  You may not like your Doctor's choice teams to support but you still take his advice when it comes to your health.

Its my opinion that always trying to find fault is damaging to our program.  I still believe his thread was very good.  It is nice to know that somebody outside our program cares enough to waste his time posting something truthful.  urkillnmesmalls is way off base here in my opinion.  His statements remind of someone who actually agrees with the poor ole Arkansaw group and gets pissed off every time anyone outside of those he sees as his kind of Guy posts anything.  Just my opinion.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: CFB_Fanatic on December 30, 2017, 11:13:20 am
Didn't read the whole 10 page essay, but I can only assume it was just more rah rah talk about how Arkansas can be prominent, recruiting Texas again, talking about SWC days, etc

Those days are gone. We aren't in the SWC. You hired Gus 2.0 with Houston's car salesman skills. It feels good when you leave the dealership, but then next day you wake up realizing you just paid sticker for a 78 Ford Pinto
Well HAD you actually bothered to read the "essay" you would have found the OP actually made some extremely good and relevant points. And no, it wasn't strictly "rah rah" talk.....it was more about being PROUD and LOYAL as a fan through good times and bad. 

pigmania

I'm a transplant from OK, having been a Sooner fan all my life. I have sandwiched my support of Arkansas around the '78 Orange Bowl, with some insufferable Hog fans giving me grief bordering on harassment for nine years, until the rematch. I remember distinctly detesting what I perceived to be the fickle fans of the Hogs, who moaned and wailed in the month leading up to Miami, when Holtz unleashed his Jedi mind trick game plan. I was in awe when I heard he had the Hog DBs practicing a prevent defense, which meant of course OU would be desperately playing catch-up, doing what the one thing they weren't comfortable doing: throwing the ball. Amazingly, OU had to ditch the wishbone wizard, Thomas Lott and insert senior Dean Blevins, who was a better passer. Still got creamed.

I knew in the lead-up, however, that Arkansas was a damn good team. That's why I was so astonished by the defeatist attitude of Hog fans. I didn't think you guys deserved such an elite team. Dan Hampton? Are you kidding me? Calcagni? That O-line? Wow.

Before that, because of family ties, I was always a big supporter of the Hogs and rooted for them always. In the last few years, I've taken it back up again.

Which brings me to my point. I've read all the whining and lamenting on this board—everything from "We're not an elite program; we'll always be second-class," to Arkansas can't recruit elite athletes or compete in other ways. "Chad Morris is a horrible hire!" Et cetera.

I sense Arkansas football is heading into a banner season, as in era. Morris will be a home-run hire. Can't recruit elite athletes? You think Norman OK is a destination for people? Manhatten KS? Heck, Columbus OH?

Your problem is between the ears and in the chest cavity. Grow up and support your team! Arkansas might not be a bluest of the blue blood programs, but consider things like this: when I realized that Frank Broyles won seven SWC championships in 20 years—precisely in the era Texas was dominant and programs like A&M were really good...I was astonished! That was a mind-boggling achievement.

This is a solid program with a rich history. Arkansas is a breathtaking, beautiful state. Wal-Mart. Tyson. JB Hunt. Et cetera. Heck, around the corner from the Walton's museum in downtown Bentonville, I ran into an office for Dream Works. Dream Works! Who else has what Arkansas has? Nobody!

You also have to keep in mind that programs turn things around totally within a year or two, all the time. OU was dreadful for a decade after Switzer was forced out. Stoops won it all in his second season. Three of our Heisman winners (out of six) have come in the last 14 years! Clemson hired Swiney and off she went. Georgia was mired in averageness for YEARS until Smart was hired. Now they are in the Rose Bowl with as good a chance to win it all as anyone.

Not all of you of course are fickle. You know what you have and are proud of the program and cheer every Saturday, come what may. But the rest of you? I don't know that you deserve such a great team.

And hey, you may think I'm full of it, or just an idiot Okie. But take it from someone who has followed a Blue Blood program for decades: I believe there is at least some connection between passionate, committed fans and the team's performance.

I was at the famous "Jump Around" game between OU and Texas Tech in 2008. The atmosphere was insane. I've been to Owen Field many times but that night was transcendent. Going to concessions, I could feel the concrete under my feet vibrate and the stadium literally seemed to be swaying. Electric atmosphere. Afterward, the dour Stoops thanked the fans for helping to make the difference. Tech came in ranked very high and got demolished.

Shoot for that. I once had the privilege of visiting Broyles in his office, after the stadium expansion. I looked out of the huge picture window and remember thinking that there isn't a more impressive stadium in the country. Just gorgeous. Nestled in these hills.

It would take me days to list all the state's positive attributes and quite awhile to list the football program's potentials. National championships might not happen, but then again, Arkansas has as good a chance as anyone. Franchises shift. Saban is nearing retirement. Arkansas could absolutely fill that void.

You guys have a jewel. A rare gift. Build on the excellent tradition you have and get behind your team, dammit! Stop with the second-class citizens bit. Stop with the defeatist attitude. Stop with the Switzer hatred/jealousy. Stop hating on OU. It sickens me. Go out and make your own luck.

Some champions are born, some are made. I am rooting for the program and Chad Morris to take you to new heights.

I hope UGA kicks the holy shite out of Loser Sooner!

Rudy Baylor

your "blue blood program" has seven current coaches, including the current HC, who knew about the Joe Mixon tape when moving into the 2015 season.

They should all hang their heads in shame for knowing, and still staying. I have zero respect for OU until all 2014-2015 coaching staff are gone. Nor should you.

That punch on that girl was not unlike what Mike Tyson could have delivered.

Shame on you for not realizing any of that.

redeye

But take it from someone who has followed a Blue Blood program for decades: I believe there is at least some connection between passionate, committed fans and the team's performance.

Thank you!

I've been wanting to start a topic on this very thing for years, but I'm never sure how to express it and I still don't.  I completely agree, though, and I think this causes us problems.  For example, I've watched games that I think we should have won, but our players didn't seem to believe it.  I surmise they got the idea from listening to our fans complaining about all of our problems.

We weren't always this way, imo.  Now we demand the best, but expect the worst.

hoghevn

THANK YOU FOR THAT INCREDIBLE POST!  Yes, I meant to yell.  Best post EVER!  I'm copying it and sending it out to all my friends & family.
Einstein - "The difference between genius and stupdity; genius has limits."

redeye

I think we used to see Arkansas as an underdog program that exceeded expectations.  We mostly won, but we were humble when we didn't.

Nowadays, we think we can buy success and actually expect that to happen, but we're angry and disappointed when it doesn't.  We seem more like spoiled children now having temper tantrums weekly.

I include myself and mean no disrespect to anyone with these comments.  It's just how I see us behaving.

SooieGeneris

Quote from: CFB_Fanatic on December 30, 2017, 11:13:20 am

And Gus has been in a NC game and in the SECCG twice..

If CM is just a used car salesman, why is Clemson STILL running his offense 3-4 years after he left for SMU?

Dabo Swinney left everything the same, terminology and everything, and promoted the RB coach. He could have gone outside the program and hired a "big name" OC to replace him with, but kept the offense the same.

4-5 years ago, Dabo Swinney was considered a "used car salesman" mediocre coach in over his head. Steve Superior made jokes about him and Clemson all the time. They were a "laughing stock."

Only no one, especially the Gamehens, are laughing any more,  particularly the people who have to play them. That's not to say that CM can do the same thing here. Maybe he can, maybe not. It depends in large part what athletes he's able to get to the Hill and keep them there for 3-4 years.

To pass him off as nothing more than some lightweight "used car salesman" is absurd though. What team ever kept a Houston Nutt offense even ONE year after he left? NONE. As soon as he was out the door, industrial strength cleaners were brought in to wash off the "stank" and change everything.
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

Diamondbackhog

I agree with everything you said. I grew up in Ar, and lived here for nearly all of my adult life. However, I lived in OK for a few years in between and have family there. I agree that recruiting to AR should be easier than to OU, except for recent tradition. Get it started and we can compete with anyone.

racinghog

Quote from: SooieGeneris on December 30, 2017, 01:21:27 pm

If CM is just a used car salesman, why is Clemson STILL running his offense 3-4 years after he left for SMU?

Dabo Swinney left everything the same, terminology and everything, and promoted the RB coach. He could have gone outside the program and hired a "big name" OC to replace him with, but kept the offense the same.

4-5 years ago, Dabo Swinney was considered a "used car salesman" mediocre coach in over his head. Steve Superior made jokes about him and Clemson all the time. They were a "laughing stock."

Only no one, especially the Gamehens, are laughing any more,  particularly the people who have to play them. That's not to say that CM can do the same thing here. Maybe he can, maybe not. It depends in large part what athletes he's able to get to the Hill and keep them there for 3-4 years.

To pass him off as nothing more than some lightweight "used car salesman" is absurd though. What team ever kept a Houston Nutt offense even ONE year after he left? NONE. As soon as he was out the door, industrial strength cleaners were brought in to wash off the "stank" and change everything.
I agree with what you say, but Gus, Dabo, Chad and Nutt are four completely different people.

CFB_Fanatic

Quote from: SooieGeneris on December 30, 2017, 01:21:27 pm

That's because you're giving an example of a head coach leaving. Nothing has changed at Clemson in the head coaching position. CM was an OC who left when Dabo figured out Elliot was better and promoted him to OC. Regardless, Morris learned his entire offense from from Gus.

He's Gus 2.0

MuskogeeHogFan

Well wow, there is a lot that you are right about and some parts of your post that I suspect that you just aren't taking into consideration.

I grew up and currently live in Oklahoma and like you, I have watched that program over the years. Yes, the win against OU in the Orange Bowl was a masterful job of coaching and preparation by Holtz and the Hogs. It was one for the ages. A great win for the Hogs.

And yes, we have tremendous facilities that anyone would be proud to have as a University. Totally agree.

And yes, I love Arkansas and the time that I have spent in Arkansas has been some of the best times of my life. Just a beautiful and wonderful place to live. I miss it in so many ways.

Back to football. One reason that OU has been as successful as they have been is because they have had great coaches, great facilities and they have been a part of the national college football discussion by the national media for decades. How many football National Championships again? A bunch.

From 1992 through 2016 Oklahoma ranks #5 nationally in wins. Arkansas ranks #48. Let's face it, "wins" over an extended period of time are what puts you in the national discussion and limelight for the national media who, like it or not, helps either promote or dismiss a program to the public and to potential recruits.

My point being that no matter how proud of a heritage we may have as Razorbacks, we haven't won enough, long enough, to break into that national conversation on a consistent basis. We occasionally rear our heads and poke our way into the national discussion, but not long enough to sustain that notoriety.

It doesn't mean that we can't, it just means that we haven't.

OU tends to recruit at a far higher level than Arkansas most every year and having had connections inside the OU program for quite a while, there isn't any doubt about OU's recruiting practices and how they land players and that isn't a matter of speculation, it has been fact since the 1950's. Certainly their record helps them a great deal. Bring a recruit to their facilities, show them the Heisman winners, the statues, the NC trophies, etc, etc, and they have pretty good odds of competing with anyone for any player of merit. And yes, you have to compete in-conference with Texas in recruiting, but who else? That's about it. Unless OU has done something to tick off a recruit it comes down to between you and Texas.

That isn't the recruiting world that we live in over here in the SEC.

So yes, we have a new HC and I think that we all hope and think that he could be a great HC for us and will probably give us a better chance to win more games. But until we start winning 9-10-11 or more games each year, please don't try to compare us to OU and shame us for not being more positive. We love our Hogs and support them and always want them to win, but we understand the challenges that go along with playing in the SEC West and I think we also understand that we will need to put together a string of 3 to 5 years in top 1-3 finishes in the SEC West before the worm begins to turn for this program and we can start becoming a bigger factor in competition for top recruits among those in our division. Once that happens, success can be more easily perpetuated.

That is going to take one heck of a coaching job on behalf of Morris to get us to that level. If he does, he might need a huge contract to keep him because he will have done one helluva job. I hope he does. Either way I'm going to be "all Hog".
Go Hogs Go!

From Tusk Till Dawn

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 30, 2017, 11:50:03 am
They would have been if they were in the East.  Remember...Mizzou was in the East when they were DOWN, and despite that UGA still dismantled them when they played...but UGA would lose a stupid game or two along the way and hand it to Mizzou.  That's probably what played a big part in Richt getting canned. 

Mizzou was good, but they benefitted from the down East A LOT.  Meanwhile...we can't even beat them, and I'm stunned that we have so many fans focused on us beating TAMU when we've got a losing record to Mizzou since they joined the SEC.  Let that sink in a bit....   We should be mad as fans, and we should expect better.
Agree with all that you said.  That Mizzou game has been an achilles heel also.  Hats off to them but I'm not sure they should have beaten us one time.  As for the Aggies, I just anticipated they would be a major force, the only Tx team in the SEC, what a recruiting advantage (and to our detriment).  Then the Johnny Football stuff, beat Bama, but... now they are starting over too.

ArkansasI

There has not been a single program built by a fanbase. Certainly not OU.

racinghog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 30, 2017, 01:53:45 pm
Well wow, there is a lot that you are right about and some parts of your post that I suspect that you just aren't taking into consideration.

I grew up and currently live in Oklahoma and like you, I have watched that program over the years. Yes, the win against OU in the Orange Bowl was a masterful job of coaching and preparation by Holtz and the Hogs. It was one for the ages. A great win for the Hogs.

And yes, we have tremendous facilities that anyone would be proud to have as a University. Totally agree.

And yes, I love Arkansas and the time that I have spent in Arkansas has been some of the best times of my life. Just a beautiful and wonderful place to live. I miss it in so many ways.

Back to football. One reason that OU has been as successful as they have been is because they have had great coaches, great facilities and they have been a part of the national college football discussion by the national media for decades. How many football National Championships again? A bunch.

From 1992 through 2016 Oklahoma ranks #5 nationally in wins. Arkansas ranks #48. Let's face it, "wins" over an extended period of time are what puts you in the national discussion and limelight for the national media who, like it or not, helps either promote or dismiss a program to the public and to potential recruits.

My point being that no matter how proud of a heritage we may have as Razorbacks, we haven't won enough, long enough, to break into that national conversation on a consistent basis. We occasionally rear our heads and poke our way into the national discussion, but not long enough to sustain that notoriety.

It doesn't mean that we can't, it just means that we haven't.

OU tends to recruit at a far higher level than Arkansas most every year and having had connections inside the OU program for quite a while, there isn't any doubt about OU's recruiting practices and how they land players and that isn't a matter of speculation, it has been fact since the 1950's. Certainly their record helps them a great deal. Bring a recruit to their facilities, show them the Heisman winners, the statues, the NC trophies, etc, etc, and they have pretty good odds of competing with anyone for any player of merit. And yes, you have to compete in-conference with Texas in recruiting, but who else? That's about it. Unless OU has done something to tick off a recruit it comes down to between you and Texas.

That isn't the recruiting world that we live in over here in the SEC.

So yes, we have a new HC and I think that we all hope and think that he could be a great HC for us and will probably give us a better chance to win more games. But until we start winning 9-10-11 or more games each year, please don't try to compare us to OU and shame us for not being more positive. We love our Hogs and support them and always want them to win, but we understand the challenges that go along with playing in the SEC West and I think we also understand that we will need to put together a string of 3 to 5 years in top 1-3 finishes in the SEC West before the worm begins to turn for this program and we can start becoming a bigger factor in competition for top recruits among those in our division. Once that happens, success can be more easily perpetuated.

That is going to take one heck of a coaching job on behalf of Morris to get us to that level. If he does, he might need a huge contract to keep him because he will have done one helluva job. I hope he does. Either way I'm going to be "all Hog".
Thank you for saying this, so true!

SooieGeneris

I have a different perspective on this than many others on here. I don't see this as "talking down" to us or anything of the sort. I like getting a different POV from a fan outside the state who is close geographically, or even from afar.

I never had any strong feeling about OU one way or the other until I moved to western AR from the central part of the state. There was a lot of talking leading up to that Orange Bowl win, from their side of the line mostly.

I didn't see much respect for UA and an excellent team we had that year, one of the top 2 teams in school history record-wise. When I have had conversations with OU fans from other parts of OK away from the Eastern part that borders AR, those people have been much more appreciative of UA and it's history.

When we played them in the Cotton Bowl in the early 2000's, 'Jan. '02 I think, I shared a booth with an OU fan from Tulsa in a crowded restaurant for breakfast. He seemed to know more about our history and held our program in higher esteem than many of OUR fans.

He made the remark that OU fans in the rest of OK don't pay much attention to the Eastern most OU fans either. As far as the Mixon incident, to be fair, that video didn't surface until Mixon had been on campus for a year or more, maybe even two.

Moses killed a man in cold blood and hid the body and was still entrusted to carry the 10 Commandments down from the mountain later in his life. I think I would have dismissed Mixon, but if he had been a good citizen for the time he had been at OU, maybe not since I don't know all the facts.

Yes, that video was awful, but why didn't local law enforcement do anything at the time, didn't it happen in CA where he was from? I think for the most part OU has had good citizens on their team since Stoops took over, unlike the Switzer days when he looked the other way at Boz and Buster Rhymes and others.

I have met a few other players from that era, Keith Jackson Sr, Mark Hutson and others and they all seemed like good guys, especially Jackson. I didn't hold it against him for not wanting to play for Holtz. It came out in federal court in an age discrimination suit vs ND that Holtz punched an assistant coach in the face on the field years later, without provocation.

One of our former players, Bobby Duckworth, was in the State Pen in CA for rape last I heard and he had an incident on the Hill during the Holtz era and stayed on the team as did the 3 suspended from the Orange Bowl. I know that was nearly 40 years ago, but right and wrong has not changed, just our perception of it in this age.

I appreciate most of the OP's comments and wish a lot of our fans realized that UA has not had sustained success in football in the SEC era not because we can't or because "we're just poor lil' ol' Arkinsaw."

It's because a lack of vision in the leadership at UA, "leaders" who were satisfied to just win 6 or 7 games and get into a lower tier Bowl game, then wash, rinse, repeat. I have hope that for the first time in years, this new leadership aspires to more than that.

If the new leadership falls into that old way of thinking, I will not refrain from criticizing them as I see fit, but until I see a vacuum of leadership like we've had in the last several years, I will give them the benefit of the doubt. It happened at Clemson, it can happen here. A UA Grad had a lot to do with it as AD, too.

SooieGeneris

Quote from: CFB_Fanatic on December 30, 2017, 01:50:25 pm
That's because you're giving an example of a head coach leaving. Nothing has changed at Clemson in the head coaching position. CM was an OC who left when Dabo figured out Elliot was better and promoted him to OC. Regardless, Morris learned his entire offense from from Gus.

He's Gus 2.0

So, now Morris was pushed out because Dabo preferred Elliott? That's absurd! Not what Dabo said in a recent interview with Bo Mattingly, not even close.

And every coach has learned his schemes from some other coach at some point. Bill Walsh learned offense from Sid Gilman and Paul Brown, then added his own touches.

Gus learned offense somewhere, he didn't invent the HUNH spread offense, it has been around for years.

Morris has never claimed anything but that he learned the offense from Gus, so what?  That doesn't change the fact that Gus took that offense to the SECCG twice and the NCG when the "experts" on here claimed it wouldn't work in the SEC..

SooieGeneris

Quote from: racinghog on December 30, 2017, 01:39:09 pm
I agree with what you say, but Gus, Dabo, Chad and Nutt are four completely different people.

Of course they are. What I was referring to was that the guy I quoted was implying CM was a warmed over combo of Gus and Nutt.

Morris' personality is completely different from that of Gus, even as the basics of the offense are very similar. He did learn the offense from Gus, no doubt, but like any other good coach, he has added his own touches.

Gus has evolved over the years from passing 50-60% of the time at Tulsa to passing maybe 30-35% at Auburn.

And while Morris may be more like Nutt than Gus in personality, that doesn't make him a "used car salesman." Those 4 are different people, but all have been HCs in Power 5 conferences or will be as soon as we start playing games in the Morris era, thus they all face, or have faced many of the same challenges.

searkhogfan

Quote from: CFB_Fanatic on December 30, 2017, 01:50:25 pm

He's Gus 2.0

Pure Stupidity

racinghog

Quote from: SooieGeneris on December 30, 2017, 02:35:36 pm
Of course they are. What I was referring to was that the guy I quoted was implying CM was a warmed over combo of Gus and Nutt.

Morris' personality is completely different from that of Gus, even as the basics of the offense are very similar. He did learn the offense from Gus, no doubt, but like any other good coach, he has added his own touches.

Gus has evolved over the years from passing 50-60% of the time at Tulsa to passing maybe 30-35% at Auburn.

And while Morris may be more like Nutt than Gus in personality, that doesn't make him a "used car salesman." Those 4 are different people, but all have been HCs in Power 5 conferences or will be as soon as we start playing games in the Morris era, thus they all face, or have faced many of the same challenges.
Well I think there is difference between Nutt and Morris. Nutt was just an over the top rahrah guy. Morris is legitimately hyper-active and those burn bright for  a while then burn out spectacularly.  And again I agree I do not think CCM is a used car salesman.

gaylen54

People don't remember. We've done it before and can do it again. Naysayers are just short-sighted. Never say never.

You said what I've said to others, but more eloquently. Thank you for taking the time. (And I'm only a 2nd time poster and also a GIRL!!! 😎  But I've followed the Hogs since 1954 so maybe my thoughts are worth a penny here.)
You'd want me on your jury.

HogT

Bingo Bango +1. Well stated
Practice does not make perfect...
Practice makes permanent...
PERFECT practice makes perfect...

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on December 30, 2017, 10:03:24 am
Rah-rah. Oklahoma HAS a long and mostly consistent tradition of WINNING that produces great recruiting of both players and new coaches. Arkansas does not have that. We CAN develop it.  But it will take time, talent, and luck. We had Nolan Richardson in basketball and he had a GREAT 7-8 year run. But it didn't produce long term success. He struggled at the beginning of his tenure and faded some at the end.  We didn't have a return to greatness coachingwise or playerwise just because we had one short era of greatness. Sutton and Richardson were great coaches. But our program is up and down. Our football program is even farther away from long term greatness than basketball because in football we've had some disastrous seasons in the last 25 years. Let's get good and then better before we proclaim we are starting an "era" in 2018.

Girl don't go away mad. Girl just go away!!!
The Giants win the penent!!!!!The Giants win the penent!!!
Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth.
I can't believe what I just saw!!!!
Down goes Frazier!!!! Down goes Frazier!!!
Do you believe in miricles?!?!?!

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: OS2 (SW) Razor Back on December 30, 2017, 04:07:27 pm
Girl don't go away mad. Girl just go away!!!

I've never seen anyone say it quite as well as you did. Bravo! Truly the most profound comment ever made.
I expect to win the games we ought to win and be competitive in as many other games as possible. - M Barton

Hoginsavga

Quote from: From Tusk Till Dawn on December 30, 2017, 09:52:35 am
It was a good post, good read.  I'm just thinking out loud here but i wonder what the sooners would look like if they were in the SEC for the last 30 years.  You never know, in a few years we may find out.

I will give you my opinion on that and it's just an opinion. I think Oklahoma would do quite well in the SEC, even the West Division. The last time OK played Bama in a bowl game OK won and Saban was the Bama coach. OK beat Auburn quite handily last year in a bowl game. OK has been generally much better than Texas A&M and A&M has been respectable in the SEC, at least better than the Hogs in the past six years. So yes I think OK would typically have 9-11 win seasons even in the West Division of the SEC.

I am looking forward to the Hogs return to prominence in the football world. I feel our string of hiring mediocre coaches, except one, have played a major role in our downward spiral since joining the SEC. Only time will tell but I think Coach Morris could be the resurgence of Razorback football. If not, we should keep trying until we find that right fit.

DukeOfPork

Build on the excellent tradition you have and get behind your team, dammit! Stop with the second-class citizens bit. Stop with the defeatist attitude. Stop with the Switzer hatred/jealousy. Stop hating on OU. It sickens me. Go out and make your own luck.

bphi11ips

Quote from: gaylen54 on December 30, 2017, 03:05:45 pm
People don't remember. We've done it before and can do it again. Naysayers are just short-sighted. Never say never.

You said what I've said to others, but more eloquently. Thank you for taking the time. (And I'm only a 2nd time poster and also a GIRL!!! 😎  But I've followed the Hogs since 1954 so maybe my thoughts are worth a penny here.)

Bravo!  I'd kiss you if I could but a +1 will have to do.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

racinghog

Quote from: gaylen54 on December 30, 2017, 03:05:45 pm

Absolutely and THANK YOU for making this point. I remember watching the hogs twice a year during my youth,there was only one game a week, so this should tell you how highly valued the program was during the 60's and 70"s. 

I've complained post after post about our problems being much more rooted in upper management than most believe.  We've had 30 years of piss poor leadership above the AD level.  I don't know why.  I feel sure that those I am talking about were mostly very good people.   

My favorite football team reminds me of the recent commercial that stresses the Settlers.  We typically SETTLE for far less than decent and appear OK with that.  This Bielema mess is just the latest concrete around the ankles of this program.  Nutt was little better if at all.  Both HCs did far more harm to the program than good.  Neither of these coaches should have ever been hired.    We keep hiring get in the way type personnel that cost us far more in the long haul than just the wasted money we spent directly on them.  Our program is currently not even a top 40 program.  This is where failing to manage at the top led us.

We let a fellow full of integrity and good intentions hire Bret.  We could have chosen a local Nun to do the same job.  She may have considered the hire much deeper than the fellow that did the hire.

okrazorback

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on December 30, 2017, 09:23:38 am
Uh, the realist are a lot closer to saying the things the OP stated than you who want to keep a coach who couldn't win.  You did notice he said Switzer was fired didn't you?  There were meltdowns aplenty in soonerland for quite awhile there and still is with every loss.   

I hype Arkansas every chance I get but way too many of the big dogs on this board think that we as fans just need to settle for whatever the current administration is doing.  Guess what, I don't know what the OP thinks about the way Okie got to where they are but I can tell you it's wasn't by settling for mediocrity.  Way too many on this board don't think Arkansas can do it but that's not the realist it's the ones who constantly settle for whatever the administration dishes out and for the last 30 years that's been pretty bad.

I AGREE

Pig in the Pokey

THIS IS THE BEST POST IVE EVER READ
11 I HATE poorlilolearkinsaw crybabies
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

ridgehog23

Great post and very truthful!  Can't have that crap here!