Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Interesting Stats so far in the recruiting process

Started by Hogindasticks, January 15, 2018, 07:25:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogindasticks

January 15, 2018, 07:25:49 pm Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 07:39:34 pm by Hogindasticks
These percentages show how many recruits/commits each school has.   Its very interesting in that if a recruiter looks at this, it may show them where they need to target recruiting to find the right caliber kids and not have to work so hard doing it.  These percentages will also show you how well a school is looked at in the recruiting process by the talents that are filling those positions.  Take a look.   Greatest to least.
\2018\
South Carolina      130 offers / 22 commits     16.9% Success Rate(SR) in recruiting
Clemson               110 offers / 15 commits      13.6% SR (had to put this one in here for verification for SC recruiting)
Texas A&M           128 offers / 14 commits      10.9% SR
Auburn                 213 offers / 22 commits      10.3% SR
LSU                      248 offers / 22 commits      8.9% SR
Vandy                   242 offers / 19 commits      7.9% SR
Missouri                275 offers / 21 commits       7.6% SR
Georgia                 295 offers / 22 commits       7.5% SR
Alabama               269 offers / 18 commits       6.7% SR
Kentucky               354 offers / 21 commits       5.9% SR
Miss St                  348 offers / 20 commits       5.7% SR
Florida                   273 offers / 14 commits       5.1% SR
Arkansas                189 offers / 9 commits         4.8% SR
Ole Miss                 373 offers / 16 commits       4.2% SR
Tennessee              406 offers / 17 commits       4.2% SR

What is your take?

TexHog188

The bottom five all had coaching changes with aTm being the exception. Hard to say how many of their [aTm] commitments will actually sign. Also, all offers are not the same. Without knowing which offers are "committable", hard to know what success rate to assign to each school.
"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

Hogindasticks

Quote from: TexHog188 on January 15, 2018, 07:47:42 pm
The bottom five all had coaching changes with aTm being the exception. Hard to say how many of their [aTm] commitments will actually sign. Also, all offers are not the same. Without knowing which offers are "committable", hard to know what success rate to assign to each school.

This is as it stands on 247.

RaisinHog

My take is .. damn Tennessee offers a bunch of people lol

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Hogindasticks

Quote from: twistitup on January 15, 2018, 08:00:07 pm
How does bama not have closer to 100%?

I was curious why they are having to offer so many...I would have thought it would have been much higher as well.....but the proof is in the numbers.

colbs

Arkansas' % will go up close to 8% if they sign 16.  There won't be too many more offers sent out and they will almost double the number of commits.

Hogindasticks

I see that if you need a certain amount of players, and your percentage is low...your gonna have to offer a bunch to get a high number.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: twistitup on January 15, 2018, 08:00:07 pm
How does bama not have closer to 100%?

I bet very few of those offers were commitable offers or they would have many more who would have committed.. 

Hogindasticks

ricepig

B Ray

Quote from: RaisinHog on January 15, 2018, 07:55:25 pm
My take is .. damn Tennessee offers a bunch of people lol
Maybe this included how many coaches was recruited ...lol

31to6

Quote from: Hogindasticks on January 15, 2018, 08:02:22 pm
I was curious why they are having to offer so many...I would have thought it would have been much higher as well.....but the proof is in the numbers.
They recruit nationally. They can afford to invest resources in analyzing and recruiting top players no matter where they reside.

This year they offered players in 31 different states.

I don't think the "success rate" is really a very meaningful number, tbh. There is no way to know what their board looks like so there is no way to know how much they win or lose on a recruit they really want or need.

greenie

These statistics show me a couple of things:
1 - offers, particularly early offers, are nothing more than a strategy to keep your program in the mix
2 - the shear number of "offers" given says that most of them are never connected to a real option to commit
3 - the "success rate" statistic doesn't work for me.  I prefer to look at these number as "% committable offers".  For example, it looks like Tenner's % committable offers is in the neighborhood 5%, while South Carolina's is closer to 20%.  I don't like "success rate" because, of the offers given, we really don't know how many of those kids they were really after.  It does say something about a teams strategy, and likely their sense of urgency.

Just as a sanity check, we all know that Alabama's success rate with recruits that they really want is far better than 6.7%, and Georgia's (especially this year) is better than 7.5%.

JMHO.

redeye

Quote from: 31to6 on January 15, 2018, 10:35:10 pm
I don't think the "success rate" is really a very meaningful number, tbh. There is no way to know what their board looks like so there is no way to know how much they win or lose on a recruit they really want or need.

Yea, same here.  It seems like some schools send out a ton of offers that aren't committable.  Sometimes you'll see a player with an Alabama offer, and it's their only great offer, but they'll end up at some small school.

What I find most interesting is the number of offers.  I've seen lists like this one in the past and I believe some SEC schools are sending out more offers now than in the past.  I think Tennessee has always led SEC schools, by sending out the most offers, and IIRC, Saban began doing the same when at Alabama.  Now you have MSU, Ole Miss and Kentucky all rivaling Tennessee, with Georgia placing 5th and having the #1 class.  I hope we see Arkansas near the top next year.

Paul

Quote from: TexHog188 on January 15, 2018, 07:47:42 pm
OM didn't change coaches

TexHog188

Quote from: Paul on January 16, 2018, 09:29:17 pm
OM didn't change coaches

Well, I would consider what happened at OleMiss a coaching change. Freeze probably was recruiting the kids in this class, he's gone and the interim guy was hired.
"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

Bash

Quote from: Hogindasticks on January 15, 2018, 07:25:49 pm
These percentages show how many recruits/commits each school has.   Its very interesting in that if a recruiter looks at this, it may show them where they need to target recruiting to find the right caliber kids and not have to work so hard doing it.  These percentages will also show you how well a school is looked at in the recruiting process by the talents that are filling those positions.  Take a look.   Greatest to least.
\2018\
South Carolina      130 offers / 22 commits     16.9% Success Rate(SR) in recruiting
Clemson               110 offers / 15 commits      13.6% SR (had to put this one in here for verification for SC recruiting)
Texas A&M           128 offers / 14 commits      10.9% SR
Auburn                 213 offers / 22 commits      10.3% SR
LSU                      248 offers / 22 commits      8.9% SR
Vandy                   242 offers / 19 commits      7.9% SR
Missouri                275 offers / 21 commits       7.6% SR
Georgia                 295 offers / 22 commits       7.5% SR
Alabama               269 offers / 18 commits       6.7% SR
Kentucky               354 offers / 21 commits       5.9% SR
Miss St                  348 offers / 20 commits       5.7% SR
Florida                   273 offers / 14 commits       5.1% SR
Arkansas                189 offers / 9 commits         4.8% SR
Ole Miss                 373 offers / 16 commits       4.2% SR
Tennessee              406 offers / 17 commits       4.2% SR

What is your take?

"Success rate" is misleading I think.  It's a function of how many offers you make and how many scholarships you actually have.  We have few scholarships this year due to high retention, therefore our "success rate" is going to be low.  If a school has 20+ scholarships, their success rate will tend to be higher.  I would expect this list to vary greatly from year to year.
The past was erased, the erasure was forgotten, the lie became truth.

Hogindasticks

I think the offer column is more interesting than the Success......showing how hard programs are having to work to get the kids to their school.

Bash

Quote from: Hogindasticks on January 17, 2018, 03:08:41 pm
I think the offer column is more interesting than the Success......showing how hard programs are having to work to get the kids to their school.

Or the offer column just reflects a school's recruiting philosophy.  Kentucky is way up there in # of offers, but so is Alabama, and Alabama probably has to work the least hard to recruit in comparison to other schools (though they obviously work hard).  It could be argued that the more offers you make, the easier it is and that the fewer offers you make, the harder it is...or even the other way around.
The past was erased, the erasure was forgotten, the lie became truth.

Richard Davenport

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on January 15, 2018, 08:14:32 pm
I bet very few of those offers were commitable offers or they would have many more who would have committed.. 

A lot of the kids are never contacted after an offer. An accurate percentage would be the kids you get that are on your board.

BoynamedWooPigSooie

It's really dishonest to send out hundreds of "offers" when you only have 25 spots max.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

JIHawg

The information is really boring.  It shows that teams in coaching transitions get a little behind in commitments.  Who knew.

31to6

Quote from: Richard Davenport on January 17, 2018, 04:40:23 pm
A lot of the kids are never contacted after an offer. An accurate percentage would be the kids you get that are on your board.
It's almost like some sports journalist with a stellar reputation should write a book or something ;P

Richard Davenport

Quote from: 31to6 on January 17, 2018, 05:28:01 pm
It's almost like some sports journalist with a stellar reputation should write a book or something ;P

I would never do a kiss and tell. Don't think I'm breaking news that schools often times extend offers and rarely ever talk to a large number of them. Eddie Smith mentioned that on my radio show.

If I did do a kiss and tell, several people would be pissed big time because they would be exposed.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Richard Davenport on January 17, 2018, 11:36:09 pm
I would never do a kiss and tell. Don't think I'm breaking news that schools often times extend offers and rarely ever talk to a large number of them. Eddie Smith mentioned that on my radio show.

If I did do a kiss and tell, several people would be pissed big time because they would be exposed.
you teasin now lol
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

31to6

Quote from: Richard Davenport on January 17, 2018, 11:36:09 pm

Oh.. I get it. Was more thinking an anonymized data analysis--not a tell-all.