Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Baylor football's may have been fun to watch, but it's time to shift attention

Started by jbcarol, April 28, 2016, 12:16:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SemperHawg

Quote from: 26.2Hog on June 10, 2016, 12:42:06 pm
Semper, the RB coach, Jeff Lebby, is Briles' son-in-law. 
I did not know that part of it...yeah absolutely no excuse to keep that dude on the staff.

Sivad

Quote from: rhog1 on June 10, 2016, 02:24:32 pm
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/06/10/another-day-another-disturbing-situation-surfaces-at-baylor/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs&yptr=yahoo

According to this they haven't learned their lesson at all. Grobe allegedly told Faulk's former coach that if he leaves the team the sexual assault investigation ends. Good on that coach for bringing this public and exposing Baylor again.
Grobe is going to fit right in the Baylor culture.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: SemperHawg on June 10, 2016, 03:25:30 pm
I did not know that part of it...yeah absolutely no excuse to keep that dude on the staff.
or his son Kendal. YOU KNOW lil Briles and lil lady briles' man were doing any and everything they were told to do by Pop Briles.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: sickboy on June 10, 2016, 02:57:40 pm
I'm gonna say it again, there's a systemic problem with college football. When you fire one coach for such terrible issues -- then you hire a new coach and he jumps right into acting like this -- it says that these coaches think this behavior is fine because EVERYONE DOES IT. The sport has become the entitled child who's been given a Porsche when they turn 16. It's the Affluenza kid who ran away to Mexico... they think they're invincible and that their problems are more important than yours.

College football coaches don't live on the same planet you and I do, the one where there is right and wrong and football is just a game. They live on a planet where you have to win at any cost. And Head Coaches use assistants to let them turn a blind eye to whatever gets in the way of that cause. Be it rape -- be it drugs -- be it bribery -- hell, probably murder. I'm not saying they're all like this... but I'm saying that the majority are, to some extent or another.

I love college football as much as the next guy. But what's happened at Penn State and what's now going on at Baylor... it's just gross.

I just don't see how any of this isn't the NCAA's fault. They're the rich parent who's giving the kid the keys to the castle. And when the kid breaks the law, they bust them out of jail by using their own political power then slap them on the wrist by punishing the kid with cutting his allowance of a million dollars a month to 750K/month, which is really nothing more than a publicity stunt to show people you're still a "tough" parent -- when in reality you're breeding a sociopath.

It's a joke.

Not taking up for them, but when the kid leaves Baylor their investigation ends because he is no longer a student. The problem beyond that lies with civil authorities, whose investigation should be ongoing whether the kid is an enrolled student at Baylor or not. In this case, Grobe is correct as far as it relates to Baylor. Now should Baylor be smart enough to follow along with the civil authorities to take measures to prevent this from happening again in the future? Absolutely, but their jurisdiction as far as this goes, ends when the student leaves the university.
Go Hogs Go!

jjdlc

Between this stuff, and not granting releases, they are going to end up completely torpedoing their recruiting. 

sickboy

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 10, 2016, 08:22:48 pm
Not taking up for them, but when the kid leaves Baylor their investigation ends because he is no longer a student. The problem beyond that lies with civil authorities, whose investigation should be ongoing whether the kid is an enrolled student at Baylor or not. In this case, Grobe is correct as far as it relates to Baylor. Now should Baylor be smart enough to follow along with the civil authorities to take measures to prevent this from happening again in the future? Absolutely, but their jurisdiction as far as this goes, ends when the student leaves the university.

My issues isn't with the legality of the situation. It's the morality of the situation. Grobe isn't concerned with doing what's right, he's concerned with doing what it takes to get the problem to go away so that he can try to keep Baylor's program winning.

And that type of attitude has been fostered by the NCAA and, in my opinion, turned college football into something that's morally corrupt.

kodiakisland

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 10, 2016, 08:22:48 pm

That's not exactly the situation.  He was kicked off the football team, but not out of Baylor.  If he stays in school, the investigation will continue.  Grobe is encouraging him to transfer to another school so the investigation ends.  And it is still questionable under title IX rules whether an investigation can just disappear because the student transfers.  The responsibility is to the school, not the accused.  You think there is not motivation to have him go to another school?

From the article I linked above:

QuoteWhile Baylor officials would not address Faulk's situation or say why he's no longer a student, the spokeswoman wrote in an email that any result of a Title IX investigation would be communicated to any school to which a student transfers. "It is inappropriate to allow an accused student to quietly transfer to another institution in order to avoid accountability ... [and] to dismiss and expel an accused student without appropriate process under university policy."

QuoteAccording to the Baylor spokeswoman, coaches can make independent determinations to remove a player from a team, but that does not mean a student is automatically expelled from the university. "A student's academic enrollment status is determined either by the student or a university student conduct or Title IX process that prevents the student from attendance."
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: kodiakisland on June 11, 2016, 08:01:26 pm
That's not exactly the situation.  He was kicked off the football team, but not out of Baylor.  If he stays in school, the investigation will continue.  Grobe is encouraging him to transfer to another school so the investigation ends.  And it is still questionable under title IX rules whether an investigation can just disappear because the student transfers.  The responsibility is to the school, not the accused.  You think there is not motivation to have him go to another school?

I think that you either misunderstood what I was saying, or maybe I wasn't as clear as I should have been. I agree with you, they want him to leave so that the investigation by Baylor, can end. Obviously, Baylor has to bear a lot of responsibility for the way all of this has been handled from day one. You'll get no argument from me about that. And this is far from over, the Civil authorities (especially since this is all out in the light of day now) aren't going to drop it. They can't. And any school that allows this kid to transfer in is just inviting themselves into a tainted situation that will make them look bad in the future.
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: jjdlc on June 10, 2016, 09:49:17 pm
Between this stuff, and not granting releases, they are going to end up completely torpedoing their recruiting. 

That's true. If they want to do the right thing now that the wrong thing has been done already, they should offer immediate and unbinding releases to every single player on their team and the NCAA should grant a special exemption for those Baylor players that they are immediately eligible wherever they choose to transfer. Baylor can do their part with the swipe of a pen. The NCAA probably won't do what they should do, even though it is the right thing to do.
Go Hogs Go!

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: King Kong on June 09, 2016, 10:55:16 pm

Agree with the majority. However, I don't believe Grobe has been given the power to fire anyone.

Then he shouldn't have taken the job.  What credible coach wants to go into the mess Baylor has, & not be able to correct the ship?  Only someone.... that is not serious about cleaning things up.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on June 11, 2016, 10:50:23 pm
Then he shouldn't have taken the job.  What credible coach wants to go into the mess Baylor has, & not be able to correct the ship.  Only someone, that is not serious about cleaning things up.

Maybe he needs the money

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on June 11, 2016, 10:54:51 pm

Maybe he needs the money

Yep, it's the money, he's sure not there to straighten things out.  This may hurt his integrity in the long run.  Baylor is obviously not trying to really fix things, & Grobe is fitting right in. 
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

jjdlc

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 11, 2016, 08:22:17 pm
That's true. If they want to do the right thing now that the wrong thing has been done already, they should offer immediate and unbinding releases to every single player on their team and the NCAA should grant a special exemption for those Baylor players that they are immediately eligible wherever they choose to transfer. Baylor can do their part with the swipe of a pen. The NCAA probably won't do what they should do, even though it is the right thing to do.

I figure the NCAA will end up granting releases to the signees even if Baylor doesn't.  Don't know about players already on campus.

LZH

Good thing no one ever tried to hire this Grobe character to coach here.

Torqued pork

Quote from: LZH on June 12, 2016, 03:36:38 am
Good thing no one ever tried to hire this Grobe character to coach here.
We ended up with Harley Bob and the nice little debris field he left behind, so it's not like we escaped unscathed.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Torqued pork on June 12, 2016, 03:55:20 am
We ended up with Harley Bob and the nice little debris field he left behind, so it's not like we escaped unscathed.
yeah, seemed like a miracle at the time. We wouldn't have landed CBB w/o Petrino's success.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: jjdlc on June 11, 2016, 11:11:11 pm
I figure the NCAA will end up granting releases to the signees even if Baylor doesn't.  Don't know about players already on campus.

Well, they should. I would think that there are a lot of innocent bystanders involved in this mess who have done the right thing all along and have become victims of circumstance. When a HC is fired for these reasons, that has nothing to do with a lack of winning, everyone should be given the opportunity to move on to a better opportunity if that is what they choose. It should be a part of the death penalty for the program. The innocent bystanders shouldn't be punished for the wrong-doings of the HC and staff.
Go Hogs Go!

Torqued pork

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 12, 2016, 02:12:07 pm
yeah, seemed like a miracle at the time. We wouldn't have landed CBB w/o Petrino's success.

The list of reasons we got Bret seems to be growing. First it was Alvarez is a dictator, then it was the challenge of the SEC, and now Bobby's success here. Got it.

LZH

Quote from: Torqued pork on June 12, 2016, 02:51:18 pm
The list of reasons we got Bret seems to be growing. First it was Alvarez is a dictator, then it was the challenge of the SEC, and now Bobby's success here. Got it.

Alvarez and the SEC factored in, I'm sure, but there's no doubt in my mind that Petrino's last two years here opened a lot of eyes in the coaching community.

Hell, Nutt was really the coach that proved Arkansas can win in the SEC....just not the way one would expect. It should have been very clear to coaches and media all over the country that with some of the talent he had, a better coach would have won the SEC 3 or 4 times during his tenure.

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Rissa Shaw@KCENrissa

BREAKING: I've just confirmed, 3 more women have filed Title IX lawsuits against @Baylor University. @kcennews #BaylorScandal

texasdago ‏@texasdago 17h17 hours ago

Fair warning @Baylor fans are going to accuse you of being part of the conspiracy to bring down Briles @KCENrissa @KCENNews

The Olden Days ‏@scbear7 14h14 hours ago

@KCENrissa @Baylor @KCENNews So maybe some of you could wait just a bit for more info? Briles wasn't at Baylor in 2004, for example.

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/745694115631931394

QuoteBig 12 Commissioner Bob Bowlsby has sent a letter to Baylor interim President David Garland "once again" requesting all documents associated in the Baylor investigation by the law firm of Pepper Hamilton.

The conference also wants information that has not been released publicly, according to The AP.

Big 12 said "full disclosure" of Baylor's investigation is vital to assess the impact on the conference.

"All of our member universities consider student safety and security to be paramount among institutional responsibilities," Bowlsby said in a statement. "The Big 12 Board of Directors, each member of the conference and its student-athletes want to convey that our thoughts, concerns and sympathies are with the Baylor survivors and their families."

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/ChuckCarltonDMN/status/753378839187693568

QuoteRhoades' decision to jump to Baylor may have more to do with the situation at Missouri - where he stayed one stormy year - than great prospects in Waco.

Regardless, Baylor made about as good a hire as it could for a school reeling from the aftermath of how it handled assault charges against football players. Here's why Rhoades is a good fit:

1) He's a grownup.

jbcarol

David Ubben ‏@davidubben 19m19 minutes ago

Bob Bowlsby gets Baylor's week off to a nice start by welcoming "Al Grobe" to the conference.

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

Jake Trotter ‏@Jake_Trotter Aug 2

Baylor announces that none of its assistant coaches will be doing interviews this fall. Only interim head coach Jim Grobe.

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/SportsDayDFW/status/763357635722739712

Jerry Jones vouches for ex-Baylor coach Art Briles, says he'd be "a great asset to an organization"

QuoteOXNARD, Calif. -- I didn't expect Art Briles to talk to reporters after he watched the Cowboys practice here Tuesday afternoon. Then when he started talking, I didn't expect him to say much.

So Briles surprised me twice -- he did answer questions about Baylor and being forced out in the school's rape scandal --

Baylor's deposed head coach indicated he expects to be back in the interviewing process when coaches start losing jobs in three months.

"Around November, December, unfortunately some job will come open. I've never rooted against anyone or any team,'' Briles said...

This man is less than two months removed from receiving a large settlement -- a sizable but unannounced portion of the $40 million he was owed --

"That day will have to come,'' he said. "I'm dumbfounded and trying to process everything as it goes, but it is what it is. What I've got to do is redefine myself and start a new chapter, and that's what I'm doing.''

Is he Bobby Petrino? Then another chance awaits.

Is he Dave Bliss? No, he's not that far down the road of no return (even though Bliss has resurfaced at an NAIA school in Oklahoma, years after his Baylor scandal). But I don't think we live in an age -- and this is good news -- where a coach regroups quickly in the wake of a rape scandal.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Baylor's Ishmael Zamora was charged with a misdemeanor after video surfaced of the wide receiver hitting his dog with the belt

QuotePolice documents reveal former Baylor student, Shelby Ball, went to Animal Control and the Baylor Police Department with the video.

"I went to authorities probably about two hours after I saw the video," Ball told News 25. "Dogs can't speak for themselves ... I felt like something needed to be done."

Zamora released a statement:

"I lost my temper trying to discipline him," Zamora said. "I've been through training with a dog trainer to help me learn new potty training tips."

Baylor coach Jim Grobe told the Waco Tribune-Herald Zamora will be disciplined but will continue to practice.

"We're not going to tolerate it," Grobe said. "He's going to be disciplined by a bunch of people. The city is going to get a piece of him, and the university doesn't take it lightly. There will be some sanctions from the university. From an athletic department standpoint we'll do some things. Hopefully, it's a teaching moment and a learning experience for him."

jbcarol

Bruce Feldman ‏@BruceFeldmanCFB 12m12 minutes ago

Baylor suspends WR Ish Zamora 3 gms & he must perform 40 hrs community service, undergo counseling & relinquish dog to animal-friendly home

They've put up with enough of that Ish.

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

DLUXHOG

Front page in DMN.. another "lady" files lawsuit, says she was gang raped by 10 blacks, multiple times.....  says coaches ordered staff to "showem' a good time", worse, etc

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/baylor/2017/01/27/new-baylor-lawsuit-describes-show-em-good-time-culture-cites-52-rapes-football-players-4-years
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/USATODAYsports/status/827003661821816832

QuoteWACO, Texas — Former Baylor coach Art Briles has dropped a libel lawsuit against the school.

Briles, who was fired last May amid a sexual assault scandal, had filed the lawsuit in December, alleging that his reputation had been damaged by "false and inflammatory statements" made by Baylor officials and seeking more than $1 million in damages, saying they had "likely ended his profession and career."

His reputation is toxic and he is essentially not hireable. During a coaching search last December, the University of Houston took the unusual step of announcing Briles, who had been head coach there before moving to Baylor, would not be interviewed.

Briles has consistently denied knowledge of wrongdoing. His lawsuit against the school was prompted by reports last fall in which Baylor regents implied he had knowledge of at least some of an alleged 19 sexual or domestic assaults. Last Friday, a lawsuit filed against the school alleged 52 "acts of rape" by 31 players from 2011-14.

Ernest Cannon, Briles' attorney, told Waco TV station KWTX that Briles wanted "some peace in his life for him and his family, and to put as much distance between him and his family and Baylor as he can."

jbcarol

'Show 'em a good time' Culture

QuoteElizabeth Doe, reports being gang raped by then-Baylor football players Tre'Von Armstead and Shamycheal Chatman after a party on April 18, 2013.

Those football players were previously named as suspects in a sexual assault police report related to that date but were not charged.

One of the woman's alleged attackers — Chatman — was accused of rape once before, the suit says, but the university failed to intervene. In that case, the suit says, a student athletic trainer reported that Chatman raped her at his off-campus apartment, so the university moved the trainer to a female sports team and agreed to pay for her education in exchange for a non-disclosure agreement.

The lawsuit describes a culture of sexual violence under former Baylor football coach Art Briles in which the school implemented a "show 'em a good time" policy that "used sex to sell" the football program to recruits. That included escorting underage recruits to strip clubs and arranging women to have sex with prospective players, the suit alleges.

Former assistant coach [and current FAU OC] Kendal Briles — the son of the head coach — once told a Dallas-area student athlete, "Do you like white women? Because we have a lot of them at Baylor and they love football players," according to the suit.

Investigation by lawyers identified at least 52 "acts of rape," including five gang rapes, by 31 football players in a four-year period. At least two of the gang rapes were committed by 10 or more players at one time, the suit states.

This contrasts with figures Baylor officials have provided based on an investigation by Pennsylvania-based law firm Pepper Hamilton.

DeltaBoy

I feel like till this mess is cleaned up I will not be attending anymore conferances held at Baylor. I feel for the staff at the Divinity School.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 02, 2017, 09:43:20 am
I feel like till this mess is cleaned up I will not be attending anymore conferances held at Baylor. I feel for the staff at the Divinity School.

Baylor and divinity................Now there is an oxymoron!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

jbcarol

Jenny Dial Creech ‏@jennydialcreech 11h11 hours ago

Some Briles' texts:

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/827338818156163081

Players Coach
QuoteArt Briles and his assistant coaches actively intervened in the discipline of football players, worked to keep their cases under wraps and tried to arrange legal representation for their players...

The regents' response alleges Briles and his coaching staff created a disciplinary "black hole" into "which reports of misconduct such as drug use, physical assault, domestic violence, brandishing of guns, indecent exposure and academic fraud disappeared."

Briles dropped his defamation suit against three regents and Baylor vice president Reagan Ramsower, less than a week after another woman filed a Title IX lawsuit against the school, in which her attorneys allege there were 52 sexual assaults committed by "not less" than 31 players from 2011 to 2014.

The first allegation of gang rape involving Baylor football players surfaced in April 2013, when a female student-athlete confided in her coach that five players raped her at an off-campus party in early 2012. According to the response, the woman told her coach that the incident "started with one football player and the other players were soon 'all over her.'" She identified each of the players who allegedly sexually assaulted her, and the coach wrote their names on a piece of paper.

The regents' response says the woman's coach -- Outside the Lines previously confirmed the coach was former Baylor volleyball coach Jim Barnes -- addressed the woman's allegations with McCaw, who told him to talk to Briles. The response says Barnes showed Briles the names of the players, and he replied, "Those are some bad dudes. Why was she around those guys?" The response says Briles "offered no defense of his players and told the coach he should have his student-athlete inform the police and prosecute." McCaw allegedly told the coach that if his player didn't press charges, there wasn't anything the athletic department could do.

The response says the woman's mother later met with a football assistant coach at an off-campus delicatessen and provided him the names of two of the five players who allegedly sexually assaulted her daughter. The assistant talked to the players, who claimed it was consensual and "fooling around" and "just a little bit of playtime." The assistant coach said he contacted other Baylor coaches. According to the legal filing, their "apparent response was to engage in victim-blaming." The assistant concluded the accusations were in a "gray area," and Pepper Hamilton attorneys found that no one, including Briles, notified police, judicial affairs or anyone outside of athletics about the alleged gang rape.

hog.goblin

ChicoHog

And there is still some people on here that probably want Art Briles to be our coach.    I bet he never coaches again in college.  Good riddance.