Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2017 SEC Basketball Recruiting

Started by jbcarol, June 15, 2015, 07:10:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Top-5 basketball recruit Michael Porter Jr. lists his top five schools

QuoteUK is now apparently no longer in the mix for five-star small forward Michael Porter Jr., who announced his top five schools Monday night.

Porter — a 6-foot-8 prospect in the class of 2017 — is listing Indiana, Missouri, Oklahoma, Virginia and Washington as his top schools. He played the first three seasons of his high school career in Columbia, Mo., but will move to Seattle for his senior year after his father, Michael Porter Sr., was hired as an assistant coach at Washington.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Ole Miss' basketball staff spent much of Sunday entertaining 2017 forward RaiQuan Gray on an unofficial visit

QuoteGray, a Rivals150 prospect with quite the offer sheet, has the Rebels, Auburn, Kansas State and Virginia Tech in his top four. Insiders believe the 6-foot-8 Gray could end up in Oxford, adding his signature to an already impressive class.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

ESPN 2017 Top 60

18. A. Wiley C               AU  Spain Park

39. S. G-Alexander PG   UF  Chattanooga Hamilton Heights Christian

46. D. Mitchell PG          AU  Liberty County

56. D. Ballard SG          UF  Southwest Atlanta Christian Academy

59. D. Gafford PF          UA  El Dorado

jbcarol

Adam Zagoria ‏@AdamZagoria 8h8 hours ago New Jersey, USA

Gary Trent Jr. Talks Duke, Kentucky, Possible Package With Wendell Carter https://www.sny.tv/college-recruiting/news/gary-trent-jr-talks-duke-kentucky-possible-package-with-wendell-carter/180838988?tcid=tw_article_180838988 ...
@jacklegwin

Quote6-foot-5 Trent Jr. says that he isn't focused on recruiting much at this moment, but that he will sit down and figure out his visits in July.

"I haven't put much thought into it yet," said the two guard from Apple Valley (MN). "After Peach Jam, I'll sit down with my father, talk about it, and plan out where I'm going."

Trent Jr. says the package deal with Wendell Carter Jr. is one hundred percent still on the table. Both players have been linked heavily to Duke, as has 2017 PSA Cardinals 7-footer Mohamed Bamba, who has also talked to Carter Jr. about teaming up.

"I talk to Wendell about a lot of schools," Trent Jr. said. "No schools in particular, but we are still planning on that package."

And Kentucky?

"Same thing with Kentucky, everything there is great, all of the players leave there super polished, and Coach Cal does a great job," he said.

There's a lot that has gone into that decision for the two of them.

"We know each other really well," Trent Jr. said. "We've spent a lot of time together over the summer, we know each other's games really well, we know what each other can and can't do on the floor."

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/AdamZagoria/status/736898369319100416

QuoteTwo of the standouts on Saturday morning at Session Four of the Nike EYBL Circuit in Suwannee were Michael Porter Jr. and Trae Young, as they catapulted MOKAN Elite to a 101-81 win over the NJ Playaz.

The 6-foot-9 Porter Jr. out of Columbia (MO) Father Tolton finished with 24 points and 13 rebounds, and Young finished with 23 points, 5 rebounds and 6 assists in the win.

After the dominant performance, Porter spoke about his list of five schools, as well as how his father, Michael Porter Sr., who just took the assistant coaching position at Washington, will effect his position on choosing a school.

"With me moving up to Washington, everyone thinks that I'll be going there," Porter Jr. said. "I'm still definitely considering all of the schools on my top five [Oklahoma, Missouri, Virginia, Indiana and Washington]. I don't know when I'm going to commit though because I want to see all of those teams play this year, especially Virginia. One of my best friends, Kyle Guy, is headed there, and I want see how they use him."

Porter did say that location is something that he will be looking hard.

"It does effect my decision," Porter said tentatively. "For example, if I was still in Missouri, Kansas would probably still be on my list. I don't necessarily have to stay close to home, but it's something that I would like to do."

When Porter Jr. cut his list a week ago, he trimmed Duke, Kentucky and Kansas.

As for teaming up with Young, his Mokan Elite point guard, Porter Jr. said that it is something that both are still looking to do.

Porter Jr. also broke down each school in his top five.

Washington:

"I really like Coach [Lorenzo] Romar and how he develops guards. He's sent a lot of players to the league, and I've sat in on their player development and it's amazing."

Missouri:

"It's my hometown school. I used to work out there all the time. I don't feel like I owe them anything, but I did grow up there, and there's something to say about going back and playing in front of the students and being the star player there."

Trae Young Talks Schools, Visits

The 6-1 Young out of Norman (OK) North spoke about his schedule for how things will go down in the next month or so in terms of his recruitment, as well as where he stands on visits.

"It's going well," Young said. "I'm going to cut it down to five schools here in about a month, or shortly after that. I'm starting to focus on a few schools that I'll be taking visits to."

As for Kentucky, Young says that he will definitely take an official there.

"They've made me a priority since day one," Young said. "They've come down to my school twice already this year. I'm definitely going to take an official visit there. As for playing for Coach Cal, He's had a lot of very good point guards, [Eric] Bledsoe, Brandon Knight, the list goes on and on. He says he sees me coming in and being able to start right away, and be the lead guard from Day 1. I haven't looked at all of the official visits I'm going to take, but Kentucky will definitely be one."

The Wildcats have De'Aaron Fox coming in as a freshman this year and Isaiah Briscoe returning as a sophomore but both could (should?) be gone after the 2016-17 season.

jbcarol

Evan Daniels ‏@EvanDaniels 11h11 hours ago Garden Grove, CA

2017 Auburn pledge Austin Wiley is a specimen. Owning the paint. Tough, physical, contests shots & boards it. Hit a right hook too.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Adam Zagoria ‏@AdamZagoria 28m28 minutes ago New Jersey, USA

2017 PG Nate Pierre-Louis Says Six Schools Working Hardest https://www.sny.tv/college-recruiting/news/nate-pierre-louis-says-six-schools-working-hardest/181053632?tcid=tw_article_181053632 ...

QuoteGARDEN GROVE, Ca. - Nate Pierre-Louis, a three-star point guard from Roselle (N.J.) Catholic High School, says that six schools are talking to him the most.

The 6-foot-3 guard, playing with Sports U, lists Temple, Purdue, Vanderbilt, Seton Hall, SMU and UConn as the schools that are in contact with him most.

UConn is emerging as the early favorite, as he has already taken two official visits.

jbcarol

Sonny Bairos ‏@sonnybairos 10h10 hours ago

@gatorhoops commit 1998 born Shai Alexander in 9 #NikeEybl games for Arkansas Wings— 15.7 ppg. 4.7 apg, 4.7 rpg. 43:12 AST to TO ratio.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Jeff Borzello ‏@jeffborzello 16h16 hours ago

Four-star 2017 center Victor Uyaelunmo visited USC on Monday. Said USC, Illinois, Pitt, Tennessee on him most. Maryland showing interest.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Ben Roberts ‏@NextCats 22h22 hours ago

NEW: Top 10 recruit Billy Preston is transferring to Oak Hill for his senior season. He's been hoping for a UK offer http://bit.ly/1WzGaLg

QuotePreston — a 6-foot-9 power forward from California — played last season at Advanced Prep International in Texas. The top-10 talent has repeatedly said that UK would be among the favorites in his recruitment if the program extends a scholarship offer, but John Calipari has been hesitant to recruit players from API, which has ties to Prime Prep, the former high school of ex-UK target Emmanuel Mudiay.

Calipari is friends with Oak Hill Coach Steve Smith.

Preston also attended St. John Bosco and Redondo Union high schools in California.

247Sports ranks Preston as the No. 5 overall recruit in the class of 2017.

jbcarol

Nick Weatherspoon, a four-star 2017 point guard, will make an unofficial visit to Louisville June 25

His brother plays for Miss. State.

There is another report of a potential package with Malik Newman to play at NC State.

jbcarol

Alex Schiffer ‏@TheSchiffMan Jun 4

Michael Porter Jr. tells me he will not commit this summer. Wants to see the schools on his list play this season.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Josh Gershon@JoshGershon

2017 Tempe (Ariz.) Corona Del Sol PG Saben Lee has committed to #Vanderbilt, sources tell Scout.

Scout's 92nd ranked 2017 prospect

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/NextCats/status/743448164510760960

QuoteKentucky's on-again, off-again recruitment of five-star basketball prospect P.J. Washington is back on again, and in a big way.

Washington, who listed UK prominently early in his recruiting process, didn't hear much from the Wildcats during his junior year at Findlay Prep (Nev.), but that changed right around the end of the season.

That's when Washington — a 6-foot-8 forward from Texas — got a visit from John Calipari and Kenny Payne, and an assurance that he did indeed have a scholarship offer from the Wildcats.

"I've just been talking to KP a lot. I've been talking to Coach Cal sometimes," Washington said. "And they really like my dad. My dad talks to them a lot. It's like family there."

The Cats jumped back into Washington's recruitment at just the right time.

Few players have been better on the spring AAU and camp circuit.

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

Cody Worsham ‏@CodyWorsham Jun 20

Two of #LSU hoops' 2017 priorities, Galen Alexander and Mitchell Robinson, Crystal Balled to Western Kentucky over the last few days.

Head Coach Rick Stansbury

jbcarol

jbcarol

Hugh Kellenberger ‏@HKellenbergerCL 21h21 hours ago

Velma Jackson's Nick Weatherspoon is up to No. 32 nationally in the latest Rivals Top 150 for 2017. https://n.rivals.com/prospect_rankings/rivals150/2017 ...

Danny Jones ‏@daniel_m_jones 20h20 hours ago

Danny Jones Retweeted Rivals.com

Michael Porter is No. 2.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/AdamZagoria/status/748135631247839232

QuoteQuade Green, 6-foot point guard from Philadelphia (PA) Neumann-Goretti and the PSA Cardinals AAU program, will visit Kentucky unofficially on Wednesday-Thursday and could pick up an offer on the trip.

"He'll be there Wednesday and Thursday," Goretti coach Carl Arrigale said Monday on The 4 Quarters Podcast.. "I just talked to coach [Tony] Barbee [Monday] and I'm supposed to talk to Cal. It seems to be moving in that direction [of an offer]. Nothing's official yet. Once they get him in the office and find out what his thinking is and what he's thinking about.

"I know they do feel like their backcourt this year [Isaiah Briscoe, Malik Monk and De'Aaron Fox] is going to be talented enough to all be gone possibly next year so they're looking for players to come in and play. They see him as a Tyler Ulis maybe with a couple more inches, which is probably a pretty good comparison. He's got the guts of burglar. He plays really hard, he's not afraid of any moment and he watched the Kentucky teams with Tyler out there. They see him as being a guy who can play that similar role for them the next few years."

Green, who made the first USA U18 cut, visited Duke last week and picked up an offer.

Raiquan Gray, a 6-foot-8-forward from Fort Lauderdale, FL, named Baylor, Ole Miss, Auburn, Oklahoma State, West Virginia, Memphis, and Florida as the seven schools that are recruiting him the hardest.

Breaking it Down

Ole Miss: "The guy that is recruiting me, Tony Madlock, is like family to me. I feel like I can trust him and I think he'll be there for me when I need him. So, that's a big reason why I like Ole Miss. I'll probably be able to improve my overall game and I won't be held back by another player on the team because the 2017 class has some big upside."

Florida: "They've been recruiting me since ninth grade. My teammate, who I also consider my brother, Keith "Smooth" Stone, goes there. He's a big part in that. I looked up to him when I was younger and I still do. Keith Stone is really a plus on that."

Auburn: "I had an in-home visit with Coach Bruce Pearl. He brought the whole staff down to see me. Davion Mitchell talked to me a little bit about it at the Top 100 Camp. He was saying how Coach Bruce Pearl is a great coach and I see the same. I see how they develop players and get them to the NBA, so that's what plays a big role in college and getting to the next level. The history is really nice. Coach Bruce Pearl and Auburn have a great coaching staff."

jbcarol

Jeff Borzello ‏@jeffborzello 18h18 hours ago

No. 29-ranked 2017 Jeremiah Tilmon tells ESPN he is down to five: Illinois, Michigan State, North Carolina, Texas, Kansas. @jeremiahtilmon_

Jeff Borzello Verified account
‏@jeffborzello

Jeremiah Tilmon also just said that Missouri is still in the mix. @jeremiahtilmon_

jbcarol

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on June 29, 2016, 05:42:47 pm
https://twitter.com/Carvell_AJC/status/748257305473474560

Rick Stansbury is the new head coach at Western

Jeff Borzello ‏@jeffborzello 2h2 hours ago

Jeff Borzello Retweeted Jeff Goodman

Huge get. Rick Stansbury helped get him at Texas A&M and now gets him at Western Kentucky.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/NextCats/status/748261912337494016

Fans of Clem Haskins and Jim McDaniels might disagree.

Kyle Tucker ‏@KyleTucker_AJC 17h17 hours ago

That Rick Stansbury must be some talker.

Billy Kennedy sure is gonna miss Stansbury.

jbcarol

Evan Daniels ‏@EvanDaniels 17h17 hours ago Kentucky, USA

New WKU assistant & former North Carolina standout Shammond Williams is Mitchell Robinson's Godfather. Kid has been terrific this spring.

jbcarol

jbcarol

NORTH AUGUSTA, S.C. – Kentucky basketball's recruiting priorities in the Class of 2017 are beginning to take shape with the July evaluation period in full swing

QuoteUK's coaching staff has all but ignored top-five prospect Wendell Carter and top-15 recruit Gary Trent Jr. at Nike's Peach Jam this week.

"I haven't really heard from (John Calipari) lately," Carter said. "I don't even remember; it's been that long ago. Probably months."

Although he and Trent still say they'd like to take official visits to Lexington, Kentucky sure seems to be backing away.

"I wouldn't say that," Trent said, "but (communication) has been here and there. It's not every day like some schools."

That's not because the Cats don't want them, rather a realization that continuing to pursue the pair would likely be a waste of time. Carter and Trent have talked openly about their desire to play together in college and all signs point to that happening at Duke.

6-foot-5 wing Lonnie Walker, a top-25 prospect from Reading, Pa. averaged 16.7 points, 4.1 rebounds, 2.8 assists and shot 40 percent from 3-point range on the Nike EYBL circuit this spring and summer.

Kentucky offered Walker a scholarship in May, and now "they're beginning to call a lot more and text a lot more toward my father and keep in contact with me," he said. "It's a lot different. At first it was a little slow, and now they're calling almost every other day."

Villanova, Syracuse, Virginia, Miami and Arizona are among the other programs making a strong push to land Walker. The Cats have joined that fray with a simple message:

"You're beginning to be our priority," said Walker, who called the high level of interest from UK a blessing. "They're a high-profile school. I got an offer from Kentucky and the newspaper wrote an article about it. I didn't get no other article when I got an offer from anyone else, but it just shows how high-profile they are compared to everyone else.

"I'm not a homesick type of kid. I'm around my father so much, always talking so much, being annoyed so much, sometimes I wouldn't mind being away from him."

He grinned. That was a joke, but his interest in Kentucky – and vice versa – is quite serious.

jbcarol

A&M assistant coach Amir Abdur-Rahim left quite an impression on a couple of targets from the class o' '17: Isiah Jasey and Jarrett Culver

QuoteAggies are looking to bring in another big with the ability to get up and down the court, and Jasey fits that bill. The 6-foot-9 power forward from Killeen, Texas, is a fan of former Aggie DeAndre Jordan.

Culver, a 3-star shooting guard from Lubbock, Texas, made the most of a Nike Elite Youth Basketball League session held in New York earlier this year, racking up offers from schools in his home state. He received offers from Texas A&M, Texas and Texas Tech after a breakout game there and has been weighing his options since then.

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN Jul 7

No. 1 player DeAndre Ayton said that Kentucky and Arizona have jumped in lately -- and join Kansas in his top 3.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN 1h1 hour ago

2016 Peach Jam: Where Michael Porter Jr., made legit case for No. 1 spot and Trae Young made a believer out of me. Man can that kid shoot.

jbcarol

G A R R I S O N Retweeted
Chip Miller ‏@BLUEChip_Miller 12h12 hours ago

Auburn (AL) four-star 2017 power forward Garrison Brooks (@laflare_10) picked up an offer from Mike Anderson and the Arkansas Razorbacks.

https://twitter.com/ArRecruitingGuy/status/752331350384844800

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman Verified account
‏@GoodmanESPN

Valpo just landed Parker Hazen, sources told ESPN. Brother Plays at Arkansas.

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein 26m26 minutes ago

2017 prospect Galen Alexander has committed to LSU, per his twitter page. Nice get for Johnny Jones and the Tigers.

https://twitter.com/_waterboyg/status/754684141820674048

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/211934/galen-alexander

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

SportsTalk ‏@sportstalksc 3h3 hours ago

SportsTalk Retweeted Southern Stampede

#STRecruiting: 2017 SF Lance Thomas of Norcross, GA was offered by CU in 2015 and has ruled them out of his top 10

https://twitter.com/Southstampede/status/755043833298034688

jbcarol

A pair of four-star big man prospects from the Class of 2017 are showing serious interest in Florida

QuoteLance Thomas, 6-8, 210-pound power forward from Norcross, Ga., announced Tuesday that Florida was in his list of final four schools with Louisville, USC and Miami.

Hours later, Xavier Tillman, a 6-8, 230-pound power forward from Grand Rapids, Mich.,  announced the Gators were one of final four schools with Michigan State, Purdue and Marquette.

Tillman is the 19th ranked power forward in the country and 89th ranked player overall in the Class of 2017, according to 24.7.com's rankings. Thomas, meanwhile, is the 16th ranked power forward in the country and 75th overall prospect in '17.

jbcarol

Jeff Borzello ‏@jeffborzello 4h4 hours ago

D.J. Harvey said Alabama is back in the mix -- plans to take unofficial there in August. Has officials set to Louisville, Notre Dame, Texas.

jbcarol

Courtney Cronin ‏@CourtneyRCronin 21h21 hours ago

Ben Howland and Rick Stansbury here watching Nick Weatherspoon. They're also getting 1st look at 2020 Oakland Soldiers 6-4 guard Kyree Walker.

jbcarol