Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New York City

Started by Faedian7, January 11, 2017, 08:35:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Faedian7

January 11, 2017, 08:35:23 am Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 02:25:33 pm by Faedian7
Planning a 7 day trip to NYC in early June and am looking for any recommendations on places to go, eat, etc. It will just be the boss lady and myself (no kiddos)! I've already booked a hotel on times square. Ready go and thanks in advance!  :)

Suggestions so far:

Lodging: Request a "high" floor room to help with street level noise.
Dining:
Aguagrill -Seafood
Balthazar -Brunch
BLT Steak -Steak
Buddakan -Asian
Chatwal Hotel -Brunch
Ed's Lobster Bar -Lobster
Enzo's (Bronx) -Italian
Fraunces Tavern (Financial District) -American
Gallaghers -Steaks
Grand Central Oyster Bar -Oyster Bar
Joe's Shanghai (Chinatown) -Shanghainese
Katz' Deli -Deli
Keen's Steakhouse -Steaks
Luna -Italian
Shake Shack -Hamburgers
Smith & Wollensky -Steaks
The Loeb Boathouse (Central Park) -Brunch
Thomas Keller's Bouchon Bakery -Coffee/Pastry
Totonno's Pizza (Coney Island)   -Pizza
X'ian Famous Foods -Chinese
Attractions/Points of Interest:
9/11 museum & Freedom Tower-(City Pass)
American Museum of Natural History-(City Pass)
Broadway
Brooklyn Bridge
Central Park
Coney Island
Empire State Building-(City Pass)
Grand Central Terminal
Guggenheim Museum-(City Pass)
Intrepid Sea, Air, & Space Museum-(City Pass)
Metropolitan Museum of Art-(City Pass)
Modern Museum of Art
Rockefeller Plaza (Top of the Rock)-(City Pass)
St Patrick Cathedral
Statue of Liberty/Liberty Park-(City Pass)
Time Square
Whitney Museum of American Art
Yankee Stadium
Shopping:
Saks Fifth Ave.

Boog41

I go to NYC 3-4 times a year, so I've got some ideas for you.

First, call your hotel right now and request a "high" floor. You want to get as far away from the street as possible. The horns and sirens never stop up there.

Second, you will be tempted to fill your days up with activities, but don't! Plan your day so that you get back to your hotel room by 4:00 each day. Your feet and back will be aching from all the walking. You'll be glad to have a couple of hours to chill before dinner.

As for things that I think are good:

The 9/11 museum and Freedom Tower. Close by each other and easily done.

The Intrepid Air Craft Carrier and Museum. They have a space shuttle and Concord airplane on it. I really enjoyed this. https://www.intrepidmuseum.org/Contact-Us

You will be a fair hike from Central Park but it is a doable walk from Times Square. Go for at least two long morning strolls in the Park. It is beautiful and there is a lot of dog and people watching to be done.

Not sure what generation you are, but if you like Carol King, go see the show Beautiful. It is her life story. I'll promise you, you know more songs she wrote than you can ever imagine. It's kinda like being at a concert.

See if anything is going on in Madison Sq. Garden. You are close to it.

Fifth Avenue is close by. Go shop at Saks Fifth Ave.....St Patrick Cathedral is across the street from Saks.

Rockefeller Plaza is close by on Fifth Ave also.

If you are into art, the MOMA (modern museum of art) is close to you. Several Van Gogh's in there.

Food:

You need to do Keen's Steakhouse. It is a short walk from Times Square. Has old pipes all over the place. http://keens.com/

Gallaghers is in the heart of the theater district. http://www.gallaghersnysteakhouse.com/

There is a great Sunday brunch at the Chatwal Hotel. Live music also. http://www.thechatwalny.com/?&SWAQ=63EP&PS=LGEN_AA_DNAD_CGGL_TPRP

Go have coffee and a pastry at Thomas Keller's Bouchon Bakery. It is on Rockefeller Plaza by where The Today Show is taped.

One of my favorite Italian spots is called Luna. It is over on 53rd just off 2nd Ave.  It will be a cab ride. http://lunapienarestaurant.com/

Let me know if you have any questions.

Faedian7

Thanks for the info! I have a high floor room reserved at the Renaissance. I'll do some more in depth digging on your suggestions later this evening. We do intend to hit several broadway shows while we are there.

cosmodrum

I've always wanted to get the chop at Keens.

Honestly, if I were in NYC, I'd get out of Times Square. I'd head to Brooklyn for pizza, Queens for Chinese food, probably go to the East and West Village.

It's hard for me to advise someone on an NYC trip, because there are just so many things to eat, see, do, that it really depends on what you like.
Go away, batin'

HawgWild

Good suggestions here. We enjoyed walking around Greenwich Village, across the Brooklyn Bridge, around Little Italy & Chinatown, the Guggenheim, Washington Square Park, NY Public Library) go to the second floor and look up), Bryant Park, Grand Central Terminal, St. Patrick's Cathedral, take the ferry over to Long Island, Whitney Museum of American Art, Central Park, the Cloisters, etc., etc.

We spent 10 days there and I wasn't able to get to everything on my to do list.

cosmodrum

Quote from: HawgWild on January 11, 2017, 05:04:37 pm
Good suggestions here. We enjoyed walking around Greenwich Village, across the Brooklyn Bridge, around Little Italy & Chinatown, the Guggenheim, Washington Square Park, NY Public Library) go to the second floor and look up), Bryant Park, Grand Central Terminal, St. Patrick's Cathedral, take the ferry over to Long Island, Whitney Museum of American Art, Central Park, the Cloisters, etc., etc.

We spent 10 days there and I wasn't able to get to everything on my to do list.

I want to eat at the oyster bar at Grand Central. Also want the octopus fusilli at Marea. What a food city.

Bagel and lox at Russ and Daughters. Pastrami and corned beef on rye at Katz' Deli. Cumin and lamb pulled noodles at X'ian Famous foods.

I gotta get back to NYC. The wife wants to go around Christmas, but I don't want to freeze my balls off to see a Christmas tree.
Go away, batin'

McKdaddy

Really enjoying this thread. My biggest enjoyment was eating at the local places. In talking to people leading up to our trip, I was ready to gag at how many touristy restaurants were being suggested by people that only hit-up those kinds of places when they visit a new destination, instead of really digging into a locale. I chose restaurants ahead of time and while there by seeking out what the locals liked. We had one lackluster meal while there for a week.

Loved the shows and museums and parks.

Great views.

Enjoyed the fantastic fall weather.

One of our fav things was a day-long (9am-4:30pm) one-on-one tour w/ a guide. They corresponded w/ me leading up to the trip to see what our interests were and what we might like to see and hear about. I told them we would see the major tourist spots during our time that week, so for our day w/ him I wanted to see and hear about off-the-beaten path things that the average tourist would not see. Can't speak highly enough about this experience.

Loved the walkability of the city.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

Boog41

Faed, after some thought, I'd skip the Chatwal Sunday brunch. Go to The Boathouse in Central Park instead. They will have all of the doors open in June and it is really beautiful. http://www.thecentralparkboathouse.com/

Also, if you guys are into baseball, see if they Yankees are in town. You can take the subway right to the stadium.

Cosmo, I've eaten at Keen's a couple of times. Seems like I had a porterhouse both times. Really neat place. It's not my favorite steak place, but it is close to the Times Square area where Faed said he's staying. BLT Steak and Smith & Wollensky are probably my favorites.

McK, I fully agree about hitting the local spots. That's the only way to go.

Faedian7

Quote from: Boog41 on January 12, 2017, 08:45:24 am
Faed, after some thought, I'd skip the Chatwal Sunday brunch. Go to The Boathouse in Central Park instead. They will have all of the doors open in June and it is really beautiful. http://www.thecentralparkboathouse.com/

Also, if you guys are into baseball, see if they Yankees are in town. You can take the subway right to the stadium.

Cosmo, I've eaten at Keen's a couple of times. Seems like I had a porterhouse both times. Really neat place. It's not my favorite steak place, but it is close to the Times Square area where Faed said he's staying. BLT Steak and Smith & Wollensky are probably my favorites.

McK, I fully agree about hitting the local spots. That's the only way to go.

I honestly hadn't thought about going to a Yankee's game until you mentioned it. I'm not huge into baseball but can respect it's history (I enjoyed watching the Cubs and Indians play). Plus I have never been to a MLB game live. I agree about hitting the local hot spots, it is the point of going out and seeing new places! I'm most excited about getting out and exploring the city.

HawgWild

The subway will take you right to Yankee stadium and the train will go to Belmont Park if you're interested the horses.

LSUFan

Head down to Philly and get a cheese steak from both Pat's and Geno's.

Lots to do there around Philly.

If you like roller coasters, go to 6 flags in Jersey and ride Kingda Ka. and get some steamed crabs.
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

Faedian7

It looks like the Yankees will be playing (@home) the Red Soxs and Orioles the week we will be there.

LSUFan, about how long of a train ride is it to get to Philly?

riccoar

Get a 7 day metro card and ride the subway.  Just don't ride the subway during rush hours.  You can walk everywhere.  The only thing a taxi is going to do is get you some where super quick.  I've stayed at Times Square and last time down on West 26th in the Fashion district.  I rode subway from there to 9/11 and then walked back.  Long ass walk but saw a ton of stuff.

riccoar

It's an hour and 15 minute subway ride from Times to Coney Island

oldman1015

We bought passes for those red buses that go all over. We rode all the way through once then used them like a cab. One comes by like every 15 minutes. Best money we spent.
Arkansas, the left lane state.

HawgWild

Take the Circle Line boat tour around Manhattan. Good way to see the entire island. This was recommended to me by a friend and I liked it much better than I thought I would.

cosmodrum

Quote from: riccoar on January 12, 2017, 10:59:33 am
It's an hour and 15 minute subway ride from Times to Coney Island

Gotta hit up Totonno's pizza in Coney island. Opened in 1924 by the first pizzaiolo (Anthony "Totonno" Pero) in the US at Lombardi's. Literally the first pizza maker in the country, and it's still ran by the family (his granddaughters) with the same oven they opened with.
Go away, batin'

Boog41

Quote from: oldman1015 on January 12, 2017, 01:06:39 pm
We bought passes for those red buses that go all over. We rode all the way through once then used them like a cab. One comes by like every 15 minutes. Best money we spent.

I've never been on one of the double decker tour buses, but I know several who have. All of them say it is a great way to get a good overview of a large area.

LSUFan

Quote from: Faedian7 on January 12, 2017, 10:56:13 am
It looks like the Yankees will be playing (@home) the Red Soxs and Orioles the week we will be there.

LSUFan, about how long of a train ride is it to get to Philly?
I think it's about an hour, we drove though and it was about 1.5hrs. and that was from South Plainfield NJ.

LSUFan

If you want to get away from the crowds and still have a nice view of the city, go to Liberty Park, there is a marina there and you can actually fish there from the bank with a beautiful view of Manhattan.

ArkansasI

NYC is amazing.  Crazy.  And wonderful...  Philly is great, too, but it deserves a separate trip.  I can't imagine that you will find time to leave NYC for a trip to Philly.  But to each his own.

I suspect that you already plan to go to at least one Broadway musical.  You'll love it.

Every street corner has had a movie or television series made for it.  The walking tour recommendation is well-advised.  You'll get acquainted with things and see things quickly - which is good.

I recommend the Met - though you will need some time to go through.  It has amazing collections of art that cannot be seen in one day.  Still, it is well worth a few hours of your time.

I'd go to the Top of the Rock (Rockefeller Plaza) or to the Empire State Building.  I prefer the Empire State Building because it's the Empire State Building.  Most folks with any sense will tell you that the Top of the Rock is better.

The 9/11 museum is amazing - breathtaking really.  Go.

The Statue of Liberty is fun, but it takes time.  Unless you're fully committed to a half day, waive to her from lower Manhattan and move on.

I don't think that Wall Street is worth the effort, but Trinity Episcopal Church next to it is amazing.  It's also fun to visit shops in SoHo (South of Houston), where you may also find interesting tenement museum tours.

Joe's Shanghai down in Chinatown (off Canal) is fantastic (if you go, be sure to get the dumplings).  I'm sure that all the Chinese fare is good down there.

Little Italy has great food, too.  To be clear, NYC is a food town - places with bad food can't stay open among all the competition.  However, I was told by a local that the best Italian food is found at Enzo's in the Bronx.  I tried to take my family for dinner but was told by policemen in the subways that they wouldn't recommend the trip in at that time in the afternoon.  That put us out (wife wouldn't go)... but I was assured by a local it was safe.  If you venture up to a Yankees game, you might check out Enzo's for lunch or dinner.

Times Square is a zoo.  You booked it, so I believe that you won't be disappointed.  Still, there is a lot to do near there and everywhere.  Due to your location, you will be enticed to hang around mid-town.  It's fun, but so is everywhere else.  Get out and explore.

Dropkick

Ed's Lobster Bar on Lafayette is awesome!

Jackrabbit Hog

My recommendation:  cancel your trip and go to Chicago instead. 
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

McKdaddy

Quote from: ArkansasI on February 15, 2017, 04:30:35 pm
NYC is amazing.  Crazy.  And wonderful...  Philly is great, too, but it deserves a separate trip.  I can't imagine that you will find time to leave NYC for a trip to Philly.  But to each his own.

I suspect that you already plan to go to at least one Broadway musical.  You'll love it.

Every street corner has had a movie or television series made for it.  The walking tour recommendation is well-advised.  You'll get acquainted with things and see things quickly - which is good.

I recommend the Met - though you will need some time to go through.  It has amazing collections of art that cannot be seen in one day.  Still, it is well worth a few hours of your time.

I'd go to the Top of the Rock (Rockefeller Plaza) or to the Empire State Building.  I prefer the Empire State Building because it's the Empire State Building.  Most folks with any sense will tell you that the Top of the Rock is better.

The Statue of Liberty is fun, but it takes time.  Unless you're fully committed to a half day, waive to her from lower Manhattan and move on.

I don't think that Wall Street is worth the effort, but Trinity Episcopal Church next to it is amazing.  It's also fun to visit shops in SoHo (South of Houston), where you may also find interesting tenement museum tours.

Joe's Shanghai down in Chinatown (off Canal) is fantastic (if you go, be sure to get the dumplings).  I'm sure that all the Chinese fare is good down there.

Little Italy has great food, too.  To be clear, NYC is a food town - places with bad food can't stay open among all the competition.  However, I was told by a local that the best Italian food is found at Enzo's in the Bronx.  I tried to take my family for dinner but was told by policemen in the subways that they wouldn't recommend the trip in at that time in the afternoon.  That put us out (wife wouldn't go)... but I was assured by a local it was safe.  If you venture up to a Yankees game, you might check out Enzo's for lunch or dinner.

Times Square is a zoo.  You booked it, so I believe that you won't be disappointed.  Still, there is a lot to do near there and everywhere.  Due to your location, you will be enticed to hang around mid-town.  It's fun, but so is everywhere else.  Get out and explore.

Agreed. Our week there wasn't nearly enough time to do all we were interested in doing, seeing.

Faedian7

Thanks a lot for the suggestions ArkansasI ! Really appreciate it!

McKdaddy

I'd give the edge to TotR.  The view are great from either.  Empire was more crowded at the outside observation deck (86th floor).  Not overcrowded, simply crowded to the point where you had to do a bit of jockeying at all 4 sides to get against the concrete edge and observe the views for a bit.  We visited near 10am, which is a bit more crowded, but weren't concerned about crowding due to the express passes we bought to be able to skip all lines (which I would highly recommend).  The glass-enclosed observation area (102nd floor) is several stories higher than the outside observation deck.  I'm glad we visited that height also, but don't feel the need to do so again.  If it's just the wife and I on our next trip, we'll likely skip Empire (we'll stop by again when we take the kids on their first trip there eventually).

TotR provided its own fantastic views, with the emphasis on the landscape south of TofR and of Empire, and the view to the north of Central Park.  There are 3 viewing decks, 1 indoor and 2 outdoor, with the top deck being the more sweeping, less unobstructed view.  We were at TofR at sunset and watched the NYC lights come on, then take over as the sun went down, hanging out for about 2 hours there.  I will visit TofR again on our next trip.

hawkhawg

Yankee stadium
Top of Empire State Building
A broadway play

rtr

Love the mutton chops at Keen's.  Also, try Fraunces Tavern at corner of Pearl and Broad Streets in the Financial District, great steaks much less expensive than Keen's or Peter Luger.  Fraunces Tavern has been taken over by Porterhouse a brewpub out of Dublin Ireland, go for the Oyster Stout on cask.  Keen's and Fraunces Tavern/ Porterhouse have great bars with some of the finest whiskies in the world.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

sowmonella

Wear comfortable shoes. You will walk 800 miles.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Faedian7

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I just booked some tickets to see the Yankees vs Red Sox the week we are there! This will be our first MLB game. I'm pumped!

ricepig

Quote from: Faedian7 on April 19, 2017, 10:52:04 am
Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I just booked some tickets to see the Yankees vs Red Sox the week we are there! This will be our first MLB game. I'm pumped!

I've been to a few games in Yankee Stadium, it's nice.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ricepig on April 19, 2017, 11:37:46 am
I've been to a few games in Yankee Stadium, it's nice.

Costanza must've gotten you tickets. 
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on April 19, 2017, 11:50:07 am
Costanza must've gotten you tickets. 

Yep, how did you know?

pignparadise

You'll probably be at the Yankees game on June 6, but if not my daughter has a concert at Rockwood Music Hall.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BRt_Ft1goHS/
She's worth checking out.
"The race is long.. and in the end it's only with yourself.....", Baz Luhrman "Sunscreen"

LSUFan

Quote from: sevenof400 on April 23, 2017, 02:17:19 pm
Because if you do this in the reverse order, you're likely to have a revisit from the crabs...
Yup, gotta ride with googles on too, that sumbitch goes so fast you can't see anything, wear your protection boys and hold on to your butt.

bennyl08

Quote from: LSUFan on April 24, 2017, 12:39:50 pm
Yup, gotta ride with googles on too, that sumbitch goes so fast you can't see anything, wear your protection boys and hold on to your butt.

LSUfan, please delete your earlier post that provides any sort of context to this. These last two posts sans context are amazing.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 25, 2017, 01:04:14 am
LSUfan, please delete your earlier post that provides any sort of context to this. These last two posts sans context are amazing.

Trust me, either context works for LSUfan in this case.  He's got plenty of experience wearing protection and holding butts.  Or maybe it's somebody else wearing the protection.  Or both.

The Hogfather

April 26, 2017, 02:00:29 pm #37 Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 02:13:21 pm by The Hogfather
If you're there on June 10th, take a train to Belmont Park for the Belmont Stakes.

Boathouse in Central Park was a good brunch spot.

Grand Central Oyster Bar was pretty awesome.  I would recommend it for lunch.

We enjoyed Buddakan (modern Asian and great ambiance).  http://www.buddakannyc.com/

Thought One World Trade observation deck and World Trade Center memorial/museum were very eye opening and worth a few hours.

We did Empire State Building at night and really enjoyed it.  Probably less crowded than during the day.

The Met is a must visit, in my opinion, but as others have said, you could spend 4 days in there and not see everything.  I would recommend spending at least 3-4 hours there.

The Hogfather

Also completely agree that Wall Street was a bust, other than seeing Charging Bull and fake humping the Fearless Girl statue.

My buddy got this good pic of me:

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: sevenof400 on April 29, 2017, 03:48:49 pm
Was Cheap Trick there?

No, that was in the red light district.

porque

For oysters, you can't beat Aguagrill in NYC.  I go every time I visit.
https://www.aquagrill.com/

NYC is a great brunch town.  You've got to do brunch on a Saturday or Sunday morning.  To really get the New York experience, I would go to Balthazar, although, there are many great brunch spots.
http://balthazarny.com/

Boog41

Quote from: porque on May 03, 2017, 11:24:33 am
For oysters, you can't beat Aguagrill in NYC.  I go every time I visit.
https://www.aquagrill.com/

NYC is a great brunch town.  You've got to do brunch on a Saturday or Sunday morning.  To really get the New York experience, I would go to Balthazar, although, there are many great brunch spots.
http://balthazarny.com/

Balthazar appears on nearly every "best french fries" list that you see. I have only been once, but I remember how loud it was in there.

bennyl08

Quote from: Boog41 on May 03, 2017, 03:32:05 pm
Balthazar appears on nearly every "best french fries" list that you see. I have only been once, but I remember how loud it was in there.

There are best french fries list? Isn't that kind of like a best chicken nuggets list?
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Torqued pork

If some of you could travel back in time to Dealy Plaza or Ford's Theater the only thing on your mind would be where to eat afterward.

cosmodrum

Quote from: bennyl08 on May 03, 2017, 05:06:34 pm
There are best french fries list? Isn't that kind of like a best chicken nuggets list?

Making great french fries is an art, my man!
Go away, batin'

cosmodrum

Quote from: Torqued pork on May 06, 2017, 03:36:42 pm
If some of you could travel back in time to Dealy Plaza or Ford's Theater the only thing on your mind would be where to eat afterward.

Something tells me I wouldn't have much of an appetite.
Go away, batin'

bennyl08

Quote from: cosmodrum on May 06, 2017, 04:29:22 pm
Something tells me I wouldn't have much of an appetite.

More for me.

Faedian7

So I consolidated everyone's suggestions in the original post for future use and added links. If anyone has more suggestions, I'll update the list. Thank you everyone for your suggestions!