Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

From the scrimmage today

Started by Mike Irwin, March 10, 2018, 04:45:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

liljo

Quote from: PygmalionEffect2 on March 11, 2018, 09:03:55 am

Some read this at face value and come away with the idea that Story is currently leading in the QB competition.

I read it and come away with the true message of the coaches comments which is that Cole Kelley needs to learn from Ty's example and spend more time in the film room, and working on other mental aspects of the game.

Good take. I hadn't thought of it until you said that. I think you are very likely right.
Hogville: A place where Hog fans gather to discuss all things Razorbacks in peace.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: EastTNHog on March 10, 2018, 09:41:24 pm
Receiving
Tyson Morris 2-60, TD
T.J. Hammonds 4-51
DeVion Warren 3-44
Cheyenne O'Grady 2-33, TD
Jordan Jones 1-28
Jeremy Patton 2-23, TD
Mike Woods 1-17
Tobias Enlow 3-48
Maleek Williams 2-11
Will Gragg 1-6, TD
Brandon Martin 1-4
Jerrod Barnes 1-3, TD

Is Tyson Morris a redshirt walk-on?

Is Cantrell being held out of workouts? If he is, I guess I missed it?
Go Hogs Go!

RaisinHog

Quote from: SkeeterHawg on March 11, 2018, 05:50:39 am
Possibly a shoulder surgery so not practicing until healed.

Thank ya sir

lakecityhog

Morris PLAINLY said that TJ needs to work on pass pro if he wants to see the field, he PLAINLY said that they are still looking for a right guard and he PLAINLY said that all of the QB's are consistently inconsistent.

I think maybe you can take these guys "at face value"! There doesn't seem to be a lot of beating around the bush. I'm sure that there is some motivational talk going on with certain players, but my guess is that it is pretty direct and to the point.

If Craddock/Morris is impressed with Storey's work ethic and his intelligence then I would say that he has a pretty good chance of winning the job. Kelley has the better arm and tremendous confidence, but if he isn't willing to put in the time and effort to become the best should he be the guy?

From Tusk Till Dawn

Quote from: EastTNHog on March 10, 2018, 09:41:24 pm
Receiving
Tyson Morris 2-60, TD
T.J. Hammonds 4-51
DeVion Warren 3-44
Cheyenne O'Grady 2-33, TD
Jordan Jones 1-28
Jeremy Patton 2-23, TD
Mike Woods 1-17
Tobias Enlow 3-48
Maleek Williams 2-11
Will Gragg 1-6, TD
Brandon Martin 1-4
Jerrod Barnes 1-3, TD

Really surprised at Brandon Martin's number and where's Nance?

Farmer Hogget

Quote from: lakecityhog on March 11, 2018, 11:08:57 am
Morris PLAINLY said that TJ needs to work on pass pro if he wants to see the field, he PLAINLY said that they are still looking for a right guard and he PLAINLY said that all of the QB's are consistently inconsistent.

I think maybe you can take these guys "at face value"! There doesn't seem to be a lot of beating around the bush. I'm sure that there is some motivational talk going on with certain players, but my guess is that it is pretty direct and to the point.

If Craddock/Morris is impressed with Storey's work ethic and his intelligence then I would say that he has a pretty good chance of winning the job. Kelley has the better arm and tremendous confidence, but if he isn't willing to put in the time and effort to become the best should he be the guy?

Cole Kelly will be the starter.  Ty Story may "work his butt off" but, he has demonstrated no leadership skills on the field.  And I don't know why people seem to dislike Cole Kelly.

Carl Lazlo

Quote from: lakecityhog on March 11, 2018, 11:08:57 am

What on earth are you babbling about?  Who said Kelley isn't or won't put in the time and effort?

twistitup

Quote from: Farmer Hogget on March 11, 2018, 11:58:01 am
Cole Kelly will be the starter.  Ty Story may "work his butt off" but, he has demonstrated no leadership skills on the field.  And I don't know why people seem to dislike Cole Kelly.

Who is Ty Story?
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Wooderson

I don't think that people dislike him, but last year he did not play well.  For having a big arm he threw a bunch of wobbly wounded duck passes.  He may have great leadership attributes, but he did not show to be a polished passer at all last year.
Give me liberty, or give me death!

Hog N Bama

Quote from: ChicoHog on March 11, 2018, 09:54:53 am
Agreed.  Also thought it was interesting to hear Hammonds needed to work on pass pro.  Last year the coaches said the same thing but Hogville couldn't understand why Hammonds wasn't playing more.  Pretty obvious he needs a lot of work on blocking.  And according to Hayden this offense is much easier to pass pro for the backs than last years so Hammonds will eventually get it I'm sure.
Or he will be on the bench

GuvHog

Quote from: Wooderson on March 11, 2018, 12:16:38 pm
I don't think that people dislike him, but last year he did not play well.  For having a big arm he threw a bunch of wobbly wounded duck passes.  He may have great leadership attributes, but he did not show to be a polished passer at all last year.

He was a true freshman for cryin' out loud, did you really expect him to look like an old veteran QB last year??

The guy has a year under his belt at Arkansas now and I believe when it comes time for the first game this year, we'll see a totally different much improved Cole Kelley.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

RaisinHog

Quote from: GuvHog on March 11, 2018, 12:28:11 pm
He was a true freshman for cryin' out loud, did you really expect him to look like an old veteran QB last year??

No but he litterally didn't complete anything but screen passes ?

Wooderson

The guy has a year under his belt at Arkansas now and I believe when it comes time for the first game this year, we'll see a totally different much improved Cole Kelley.

I'm not talking decision making.  I'm talking his ability to throw the ball.  A quality qb should not be throwing wounded ducks out there no matter the age.
Give me liberty, or give me death!

Porkys Revenge

He redshirted his true freshman year.

liljo

For me it's not a matter of disliking Cole. If he wins the starting job, then great. Whichever of our QBs win the job, that's entirely up to the coaches and I am certain they know best. They see them and interact with them far more than anyone else, and know their offense better than anyone else.

It's just that I can't help but pull for Ty until the decision is made, because he has worked so hard and stuck it out so long.

How do you know he hasn't shown leadership qualities on the field? Are you at all the practices, or on the sideline when Ty is communicating with the other players?

I highly, highly doubt you have any personal knowledge of the matter.
Hogville: A place where Hog fans gather to discuss all things Razorbacks in peace.

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 10, 2018, 05:06:04 pm
In the running game Chase Hayden and Maleek Williams combined for 16 carries and a 141 yards...

As much as we're looking forward to Morris' wide-open, vertical offense, right now I'm still most interested (concerned) in our running game.

Anyone can answer this—refresh my memory on Maleek Williams. What's his game? North-south power back?...a bigger back with some speed and some moves?
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on March 11, 2018, 01:34:35 pm
As much as we're looking forward to Morris' wide-open, vertical offense, right now I'm still most interested (concerned) in our running game.

Anyone can answer this—refresh my memory on Maleek Williams. What's his game? North-south power back?...a bigger back with some speed and some moves?

6-0, 230 last year. Not sure now. But as I recall he was a power back.
Go Hogs Go!

GuvHog

Quote from: Porkys Revenge on March 11, 2018, 12:57:58 pm
He redshirted his true freshman year.

According to the roster on ArkansasRazorbacks.com, he's a true sophomore so no he didn't. he was a true freshman during the 2017 season.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

cookie52

Dalton Hyatt redshirted last year as a true freshman, Kelley did the year before and played this year as a redshirt freshman.

The site only shows redshirt status on players that are redshirt freshmen, not when they become sophomores, juniors, or seniors.

The Kig

Quote from: lahhog on March 10, 2018, 05:46:42 pm
A "sack" in spring ball is anytime somebody gets within 5 yards of the qb. Being at the practice I personally thought they could've let plays go on longer. That number is also split between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd strings O lines.

While true, the reason is to prevent injury to your QB when something breaks down.  An RB or another lineman might have picked up the rush or the QB could scramble and prevent a sack in a real game situation, but at the core it's a blown assignment by an OL or a mismatch in the playcalling (i.e. the D had more players than the O could block). 

Not bagging on our OL... (yet) it's early and they are learning a new system, as is every player on both Offense and Defense.  However few units performed worse than the OL over the past few years and now they do it without Ragnow.
Poker Porker

hawginbigd1

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 11, 2018, 01:50:32 pm
6-0, 230 last year. Not sure now. But as I recall he was a power back.
He was a power guy but he has some wiggle, and some speed, IMO he plays last year quite a bit if not for Williams coming in.

onebadrubi

ummm really?  Last year is a barometer?  That's kind of poor, isn't it?

onebadrubi

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on March 11, 2018, 02:49:35 pm
He was a power guy but he has some wiggle, and some speed, IMO he plays last year quite a bit if not for Williams coming in.

Huh, he was talking about Williams?  I'm confused about your answer but curious at the same time. 

rhames

Quote from: GuvHog on March 11, 2018, 01:59:38 pm
According to the roster on ArkansasRazorbacks.com, he's a true sophomore so no he didn't. he was a true freshman during the 2017 season.

What year did Cole Kelly sign Guv?
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

SooieGeneris

The names on the roster are a clickable link. You might try using those once in awhile.. look at the very top of the page right below his picture..

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/roster/cole-kelley/
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

SooieGeneris

I haven't heard a lot about Kelley's work ethic one way or the other, but Craddock's comments about Storey's work ethic could be a hidden message to Kelley to step up his efforts on film study etc more than before. Coaches often use the media to send subtle messages to players..
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

hawginbigd1

Quote from: onebadrubi on March 11, 2018, 03:03:52 pm
Huh, he was talking about Williams?  I'm confused about your answer but curious at the same time.
Yeah could be confusing, if David Williams doesn't come in Maleek Williams would have played last year IMO. He is a good looking back.

onebadrubi

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on March 11, 2018, 03:19:08 pm
Yeah could be confusing, if David Williams doesn't come in Maleek Williams would have played last year IMO. He is a good looking back.

ah heck, I didn't think about David.  Thank you!

hawginbigd1

Quote from: SooieGeneris on March 11, 2018, 03:16:59 pm
I haven't heard a lot about Kelley's work ethic one way or the other, but Craddock's comments about Storey's work ethic could be a hidden message to Kelley to step up his efforts on film study etc more than before. Coaches often use the media to send subtle messages to players..
Morris called Kelley out for one of his issues last season, not playing fast enough, he is slow to make decisions and let the ball go, he gets away with it somewhat because of his size and ability to shake off contact.

hogifino

It would not surprise me at all if Ty doesn't come out of this spring in a strong position to lead in the fall. The kids a player just not been put in a position to succeed.

rljjr

Quote from: Wooderson on March 11, 2018, 12:40:20 pm
I'm not talking decision making.  I'm talking his ability to throw the ball.  A quality qb should not be throwing wounded ducks out there no matter the age.

We didn't watch the same QB then. He threw most balls great. Some were ducks, but not many.

rljjr

Quote from: hogifino on March 11, 2018, 03:44:55 pm
It would not surprise me at all if Ty doesn't come out of this spring in a strong position to lead in the fall. The kids a player just not been put in a position to succeed.

I don't care who starts, but what do you mean not put in a position to succeed? Do you mean practice reps? Playing time? He had a serious hitch in his throw that up until now is probably what kept him from playing. If you watched him in practice or warmups you could see he didn't have the zip that Kelley and Allen both had. If he's much better now then that's awesome for the team and I'll root for the QB who plays.

hogifino

Good grief!  He doesn't have a hitch...I don't care who starts but I've taught and evaluated skilled athletes my entire life. He's a player may or may not be the best up there but needs to be given the opportunity and it needs to play out. Enos was not ginterested in playing him above the one he recruited plus he would not have faired well behind the ol that was dessimated last fall.

31to6

Quote from: #hammerdown on March 11, 2018, 07:57:17 am
I knew they were not tackling the QB but if they were blowing the whistle that quickly it explains the number. Thanks
In one of his recent interviews CCM said he will control the whistle during scrimmages. Then said that sometimes he will blow it quickly and sometimes he will let the play run a bit longer because he wants the defense to run *through the whistle* and he doesn't want it predictable so  that they start letting up before the "tackle" is actually made. 

31to6

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on March 11, 2018, 03:36:35 pm
Morris called Kelley out for one of his issues last season, not playing fast enough, he is slow to make decisions and let the ball go, he gets away with it somewhat because of his size and ability to shake off contact.
It did not help that Enos kept putting him with his back to the defense in slow-developing play-action behind an OL that couldn't hold it's water for 2 seconds and when the run game wasn't working. AA got killed a few times that way a lot too.

I think Cole is more comfortable when he is facing the defense in a gun.

Hopefully whomever starts at QB will be up to speed (literally and figuratively) by the time fall gets here. A lot of that comes with not just understanding the offense, but having enough reps that you don't have to think about it anymore.

lakecityhog

I want the BEST QB to start and I don't care if he is a walk-on or a 5*, I want the best guy on the field.
Most talented, biggest arm, quickest feet or any other of a number of physical attributes be darned, I want the guy that can win games on the field.

I just imagine that Morris/Craddock feel the exact same way and I feel confident that they will choose the right guy. They have another 2 weeks of spring ball to really evaluate and work with these guys. These guys have 2 more weeks to make their own case, who can make the right read? Who can make it the quickest?

southeasthog

Wow. You are special. Maybe you should learn something about the players of the team you are a fan of.
Quote from: 1990sHogBallChild on March 04, 2023, 04:08:32 pmWe have peaked... lucked his way to two elite 8s by getting the most favorable draws in tourney history. Beat the most over-rated 1 seed in the history of college basketball in Gonzaga who would be a 6 seed if they played in a real conference. Then Muss's other 5 tourney wins are against an average of a 12 seed. A few dozen coaches could have done that. Two losing records in SEC play is as much as MA had in 8 years.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: southeasthog on March 11, 2018, 04:27:46 pm
Wow. You are special. Maybe you should learn something about the players of the team you are a fan of.
It's just Guv, he lives in a world like many where facts don't matter, just what he can conjure up in his mind is the only thing that matters. If it is 180 degrees opposite of the facts/truth it is of little consequence  ;)

bennyl08

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on March 11, 2018, 01:34:35 pm

Think Marshon Lattimore with the cocks several years back. He's the type of power back that HS LB's could be squared up against him and he'd still leave them on the backs while he kept running and then go on to outrun DB's who had angles on him.

Obviously that won't likely translate to college 1:1, but his listed 40 time was 4.42 (so he probably runs an electric time in the high 4.5's) and he did run the 100m sprint in 10.72 seconds so the guy has some wheels to along with his power and some wiggle, but is more of a N-S runner than a jitterbug.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

bennyl08

I know it's already been answered a couple times, but just to point something else out, the roster doesn't list RS seasons for anybody after the freshmen year. Most the players on our roster have redshirted.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Hogindasticks

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on March 11, 2018, 03:36:35 pm
Wouldnt want to know his opinion on Austin Allen then...lol....cause what you said describes him to the Tee

Pigstie

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on March 10, 2018, 07:46:45 pm
i said no such thing. I said He is the highest rated so stop automatically assuming Cole is the starter.

In case you missed it, they say Storey has the early lead.

Also, NONE of these guys is our QB of teh future anyway. they are  the placeholder. Noland has the best chance of any of them to be the future at QB, especially if DH is a bust.
Here is your quote... Nice try.    "DALTON HYATT will be the starter, y'all."
The views and opinions of this poster are personal only, and are not one of a professional coach or X Box player.  Beware the Mall Cop.

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 11, 2018, 05:20:26 pm
Think Marshon Marcus Lattimore with the cocks several years back. He's the type of power back that HS LB's could be squared up against him and he'd still leave them on the backs while he kept running and then go on to outrun DB's who had angles on him.

kodiakisland

Isn't it amazing the amount of pissing and moaning a couple of practices cause?  I'm just excited to hear anything about this team and take most things at face value, understanding everything in the spring is fluid.  Some of you just need to relax and enjoy the fact we get to talk about football, at the same time we get to watch some great baseball games and get ready for the tournament. 
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: kodiakisland on March 11, 2018, 06:16:48 pm
Isn't it amazing the amount of pissing and moaning a couple of practices cause?  I'm just excited to hear anything about this team and take most things at face value, understanding everything in the spring is fluid.  Some of you just need to relax and enjoy the fact we get to talk about football, at the same time we get to watch some great baseball games and get ready for the tournament. 

Agreed. Debating the starting QB right now is not a great use of time. Morris said they would have all QBs rotate reps with 1s, 2s, and 3s and would have different "starters" to see how each reacts. The only thing we know for sure right now is seniority.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

AlmaHog2011

How do you know that Ty Storey has demonstrated no leadership skills on the field? How do you know this? And almost all Razorback fans love Cole Kelly. I for one can't wait to see him in this offense. His receivers dropped ball that hit them in their hands over and over last year and he still stood in the pocket and delivered the ball many times. And he was pulverised.

I do think Cole is being under rated on here.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: kodiakisland on March 11, 2018, 06:16:48 pm

Good post

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: lakecityhog on March 11, 2018, 04:26:47 pm
I want the BEST QB to start and I don't care if he is a walk-on or a 5*, I want the best guy on the field.
Most talented, biggest arm, quickest feet or any other of a number of physical attributes be darned, I want the guy that can win games on the field.

I just imagine that Morris/Craddock feel the exact same way and I feel confident that they will choose the right guy. They have another 2 weeks of spring ball to really evaluate and work with these guys. These guys have 2 more weeks to make their own case, who can make the right read? Who can make it the quickest?

Best QB best olineman best dlineman best players. Open competition is very important. Beilema had his picks and they were his boys.

UA1985

Exactly. Last season his passing was unimpressive. Not nearly accurate enough to make him the presumed starter next season. I like his leadership skills and confidence, but he needs be become a better passer in a hurry.

Mo_Better_Hogs

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on March 11, 2018, 03:19:08 pm

Yeah, David Williams coming on board was the end of the Maleek's chance of being on the field. I had also forgotten what was said about him, but things were positive as I recall. And by the way, redshirting MW and playing DW was the right call, David Williams was a really good back last year.