Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What are 2 things you wish you could change regarding Razorback Football?

Started by Sweet Feet, January 11, 2018, 04:13:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweet Feet

If you could go back in time, what are 2 thing that you would change or prevent happening regarding razorback football?

phadedhawg

bennyl08

Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

MissippHog

phadedhawg

Secondly, I would desegregate UA football a lot sooner but that's going way back

Nashville Fan

Kill Hitler is the best because we would have had Coach Bryant.
Two next best...

Hire Barry S instead of Holtz.

Hire Tubberville instead of Nutt.

Oh yeah and killing Hitler would have saved a bunch of people's lives too. So it is by far the best answer, especially considering we wouldn't have to hear about all of those AL NCs
Pittman or Bust!

Veritas Arkansas

Reverse the Stoerner fumble in 97.
Take away Petrino's motorcycle.
Quote from: hogcard1964 on August 02, 2017, 03:02:35 pm
I like to refer to myself as a bigot.  I have every right to be.

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on October 06, 2017, 01:23:52 pm
White Nationalists aren't any more evil than homosexuals.

raz96

1969 Game of the Century -  We beat Texas  - could have changed the course of history

Hired Jimmy Johnson
Desert redneck 😎

Dwight_K_Shrute

Kidnap John White and throw him in a storage unit circa December 1997.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Steef

Quote from: Veritas Arkansas on January 11, 2018, 04:39:07 pm
Reverse the Stoerner fumble in 97.
Take away Petrino's motorcycle.

We were gonna lose that game, regardless of the fumble.

1. Not fire Holtz.
2. Not hire Nutt.

Honorable mention....
3. Take away Petrino's bimbos. He can keep the motorcycle.

texhog

Quote from: raz96 on January 11, 2018, 04:41:58 pm
1969 Game of the Century -  We beat Texas  - could have changed the course of history

Hired Jimmy Johnson
I was going to say:  1969 vs. Texas:  just run the ball and play for the field goal to go up by 9.

Sugar Bowl against OSU:  scoop and score

bphi11ips

Hmmmmm.  Sweet Feet just started this thread to bait Caanan boy or his buddy to jump in with "Never joined the SEC."

If I could go back and change one thing, "Year of the Dog" would have never been published.

Second would be that Frank Broyles would have come out of retirement before handing the keys to Jack Crowe  .
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Steef

Hired Jimmy Johnson

LOL

"Just kick the freakin' FIELD GOAL!!"

An entire State screamed that in unison.

Hugo Bezdek

1. Don Hutson and Bear Bryant to Arkansas instead of Alabama.
2. Jimmy Johnson hired instead of Ken Hatfield.

Tusks

Hired Jimmy Johnson
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

redeye

Quote from: Steef on January 11, 2018, 04:46:06 pm
We were gonna lose that game, regardless of the fumble.

How do you figure?  Honestly, I'm not sure what you mean?

Kevin

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on January 11, 2018, 04:59:34 pm
1. Don Hutson and Bear Bryant to Arkansas instead of Alabama.
2. Jimmy Johnson hired instead of Ken Hatfield.

this
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

BroyledNutts

1) Geographical location of the program, or perhaps the geographical location of its recruiting base

2) Age old perception of the state and its people

Steef

Quote from: redeye on January 11, 2018, 05:04:01 pm
How do you figure?  Honestly, I'm not sure what you mean?

Houston Nutt went into halftime with a sizeable lead. He got that lead by letting his team play to win. Aggressive playcalling. Aggressive defense.

He came out of halftime, playing not to lose. And we started losing. Tenner was pushing us all over the field.

By the time Clint fumbled....and to this day, I live by 'the ground can't cause a fumble'....Tenner only needed one more score to take the lead. The fumble was deep in our own territory and our offense hadn't moved the ball all of the fourth quarter. Tenner was gonna get the ball back, regardless.

The fumble just made it easier for them.

Houston Nutt lost that game, by playing scared.

oldhawg

Neutral referees in 1964 (7-3 loss to #1 Longhorns) and neutral referees in 1969 (15-14 loss to #1 Texas).

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 11, 2018, 04:30:26 pm
Kill Hitler and prevent 9/11.

I'm not sure killing Hitler would have prevented Japan from Bombing Pearl Harbor which is why the Bear joined the service shortly after being offered the Arkansas job.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

PorkSoda

Quote from: BroyledNutts on January 11, 2018, 05:07:51 pm
1) Geographical location of the program, or perhaps the geographical location of its recruiting base

2) Age old perception of the state and its people
well, if the UofA wasn't in arkansas, then we would all be ASU fans. so I'll pass on that.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

HoggyCat

Quote from: Nashville Fan on January 11, 2018, 04:35:46 pm
Kill Hitler is the best because we would have had Coach Bryant.
Two next best...

Hire Barry S instead of Holtz.

Hire Tubberville instead of Nutt.

Oh yeah and killing Hitler would have saved a bunch of people's lives too. So it is by far the best answer, especially considering we wouldn't have to hear about all of those AL NCs

Holtz was hired over Johnson. Switzer would've came had Broyles waited a year.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

IronHog

1.  Put the campus in Arkansas

2.  Build a real stadium on said campus
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

texhog

Quote from: Steef on January 11, 2018, 05:17:34 pm
Houston Nutt went into halftime with a sizeable lead. He got that lead by letting his team play to win. Aggressive playcalling. Aggressive defense.

He came out of halftime, playing not to lose. And we started losing. Tenner was pushing us all over the field.

By the time Clint fumbled....and to this day, I live by 'the ground can't cause a fumble'....Tenner only needed one more score to take the lead. The fumble was deep in our own territory and our offense hadn't moved the ball all of the fourth quarter. Tenner was gonna get the ball back, regardless.

The fumble just made it easier for them.

That's kind of how I remember it.  Without the fumble there was a good chance the hogs go 3 and out there and punt back to UT probably with about 1 minute to go.  The way UT was moving the ball, they probably would have marched down for at least a winning FG.  All we needed was 1 first down to win that game.

LZH

Quote from: Steef on January 11, 2018, 04:58:27 pm
LOL

"Just kick the freakin' FIELD GOAL!!"

An entire State screamed that in unison.

Didn't we throw a pic that allowed them to take a late lead?

okrazorback

More wins. That would take care of the second one. less losses.

RME

Quote from: IronHog on January 11, 2018, 05:30:33 pm
1.  Put the campus in Arkansas

2.  Build a real stadium on said campus

I'm not a smart guy but if this is some form of humor I'm not understanding, can someone please dumb it down for me?

Steef

Quote from: LZH on January 11, 2018, 05:49:19 pm
Didn't we throw a pic that allowed them to take a late lead?

Yep.

But we were in field goal range in what was primarily a defensive contest. A field goal guarantees Texas needs two scores...and there isn't time for them to do that.

Frank got cute in his playcalling. Just kick the FG and make Texas eat up the clock getting one more score.

El Puerco Grande

Nothing against the fine people of NWA, but in 1871 I would try to convince them to build the U of A in LR. Of course had that been done, Fayetteville would equal Mountain Home. Number two wouldn't matter.
How 'bout them hogs?

oldhawg

Quote from: Steef on January 11, 2018, 05:55:19 pm
Yep.

But we were in field goal range in what was primarily a defensive contest. A field goal guarantees Texas needs two scores...and there isn't time for them to do that.

Frank got cute in his playcalling. Just kick the FG and make Texas eat up the clock getting one more score.

If I am not mistaken, offensive coordinator Don Breaux called the third down pass play that was intercepted in the end zone.

verticalhog

As mentioned, kick the short field goal to have a 9 point lead over Horns in 1969.  They could not have come back to get two scores.  Second, not have team go out and get drunk on New Year's Eve of 1964 causing the loss to LSU in the 1965 Cotton Bowl.  Under these scenarios, we would have had 3 NC's in a six year period (1964, 1965 and 1969 NC's).  We would have become one of the dominant teams in college football, Broyles would have coached well into the 80's and we would have won more championships.

Steef

Quote from: oldhawg on January 11, 2018, 06:07:47 pm
If I am not mistaken, offensive coordinator Don Breaux called the third down pass play that was intercepted in the end zone.

(Picture me shrugging)

Frank intervened in playcalling all the time. He was famous for his 'pooch kick'. Thought it was clever.

Either way, not kicking the field goal had to be approved by Frank. It was a strategic failure.

lakecityhog

#1 BY FAR is kick the field goal!

I thought we were very near mid-field at the time Clint fumbled. Seems like their back had a pretty long run on their first play after the fumble and the rest is history. At the very least call a timeout and try to regroup with the defense to settle them down.

A VERY close #3 is for Fish to just let the ball hit the ground and get the hell away from it!!!

LZH

Quote from: Steef on January 11, 2018, 05:55:19 pm
Yep.

That was 5 or 6 years before watching my first game, so I don't know any details. Did Texas have to go for two afterwards to get to 15?

redeye

Quote from: Steef on January 11, 2018, 05:17:34 pm

I thought we had the game won, although I agree that was part of it.

rzrbk4life

Let's call those hogs!!!!

oldhawg

Quote from: Steef on January 11, 2018, 06:16:50 pm
(Picture me shrugging)

Frank intervened in playcalling all the time. He was famous for his 'pooch kick'. Thought it was clever.

Either way, not kicking the field goal had to be approved by Frank. It was a strategic failure.

This I will agree with.  I also said to myself (or maybe aloud) WTH when that pass was intercepted in the end zone ----  again when the game ending pass intended for John Rees was intercepted. 

But most of all I recall the bogus calls (or maybe I should say non-calls) made by the Texas based referees.  Trying real hard to be unbiased, but even after all these years, there are still a couple of obvious calls (non-calls) that bother me.  That, plus the fact that Darrell Royal's college roommate at the University of Oklahoma was one of the refs.

Steef

Quote from: LZH on January 11, 2018, 06:26:12 pm
That was 5 or 6 years before watching my first game, so I don't know any details. Did Texas have to go for two afterwards to get to 15?

They went for 2 on their first touchdown in the fourth quarter. It was 14-8 Hogs at the time.

A simple field goal makes it 17-8.

Steef

Quote from: oldhawg on January 11, 2018, 06:30:39 pm
This I will agree with.  I also said to myself (or maybe aloud) WTH when that pass was intercepted in the end zone ----  again when the game ending pass intended for John Rees was intercepted. 

But most of all I recall the bogus calls (or maybe I should say non-calls) made by the Texas based referees.  Trying real hard to be unbiased, but even after all these years, there are still a couple of obvious calls (non-calls) that bother me.  That, plus the fact that Darrell Royal's college roommate at the University of Oklahoma was one of the refs.

Yeah, but when did we ever NOT have to contend with Texas-biased zebras?

Thing is...we WERE. We got to the fourth quarter at 14-0.

And yes, I'm still pissed too. At the zebras. At Frank. At Royale.

However, there WAS one thing very special about that game. They made a movie about it. "My All American". The story of Freddie Steinmark. A little bit Hollywood, but that kid had the heart of a lion. I remember him.

LZH

Quote from: Steef on January 11, 2018, 06:35:51 pm
They went for 2 on their first touchdown in the fourth quarter. It was 14-8 Hogs at the time.

A simple field goal makes it 17-8.

I remember reading that Texas beat Notre Dame by a TD or so in the Cotton Bowl. I really believe if we win another NC right there that we have a different program today.

Nashville Fan

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 11, 2018, 05:25:30 pm
I'm not sure killing Hitler would have prevented Japan from Bombing Pearl Harbor which is why the Bear joined the service shortly after being offered the Arkansas job.
No European war. No Pacific War. Japanese would have never attacked when they did if they knew that the US could focus solely on them. Or they would have waited a few more years before they ran completely out of resources. Either way the car never would have turned around.
Pittman or Bust!

Nashville Fan

Quote from: HoggyCat on January 11, 2018, 05:29:53 pm
so would you rather hire Johnson or Switzer. I would have waited then gone with Switzer.
Pittman or Bust!

BroyledNutts

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 11, 2018, 05:25:51 pm
well, if the UofA wasn't in arkansas, then we would all be ASU fans. so I'll pass on that.

That's a level of reasoning I can't even relate to ....

jkstock04

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 11, 2018, 05:52:48 pm
I'm not a smart guy but if this is some form of humor I'm not understanding, can someone please dumb it down for me?
NWA...particularly fville/rogers/sdale/bville has a lot of big city/urban influences from an influx of out of staters the past few years. So his argument is NWA culture isn't like the rest of the state. Prob a lot of truth there if people are honest.

It is an interesting argument that can be tied back to the OP of one of two things if you could change something. What if the campus would've been planted in Little Rock and not Fayetteville from the get go? I can see a strong argument that if the campus were in Little Rock we would have an easier time recruiting in the SEC.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

bigyellowdog

1.  Put Nutt on that Nebraska plane

2.  Never hire Crowe for offensive coordinator.

ChicoHog

Quote from: HoggyCat on January 11, 2018, 05:29:53 pm
I thought Hatfield was hired over JJ.  Johnson was at Ok st at the time and wanted the Hog job but we chose Hatfield instead. 

I'll stick with stuff I witnessed or remember well. 

1.  The horrible pass interference call against Nathan Jones at SMU in 82 that cost us the game and probably the SWC championship.
2.  The Fish fumble

Sooiepride

1.  Sell my ticket to the Citadel game.
2.  The way I can easily let the outcome of a Razorback game negatively affect me. I'm actually getting better at this as I get older.
God, Family, Country, Razorbacks.

bennyl08

Quote from: jkstock04 on January 11, 2018, 08:33:33 pm
NWA...particularly fville/rogers/sdale/bville has a lot of big city/urban influences from an influx of out of staters the past few years. So his argument is NWA culture isn't like the rest of the state. Prob a lot of truth there if people are honest.

It is an interesting argument that can be tied back to the OP of one of two things if you could change something. What if the campus would've been planted in Little Rock and not Fayetteville from the get go? I can see a strong argument that if the campus were in Little Rock we would have an easier time recruiting in the SEC.

Eh, LSU, Alabama, Auburn, Texas A&M, Mizzou, OM, MSU, Tenner, UGA, and UF are all not in any of the major cities of their states.

Ironically, Vandy and Kentucky are the only two SEC teams that are.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

jkstock04

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 11, 2018, 08:44:51 pm
Eh, LSU, Alabama, Auburn, Texas A&M, Mizzou, OM, MSU, Tenner, UGA, and UF are all not in any of the major cities of their states.

Ironically, Vandy and Kentucky are the only two SEC teams that are.
I don't think it has anything to do with that. I'm pointing more so in the direction of culture and demographics. I think it would be easier to recruit to Little Rock vs Fayetteville. Silly to talk about because this is fantasy land stuff that would never happen...but this is a 'what if' thread after all.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys