Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

So it all comes down to the Iron Bowl...

Started by NuttinItUp, November 16, 2017, 08:59:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NuttinItUp

November 16, 2017, 08:59:08 pm Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 09:23:38 pm by NuttinItUp
All the how's why's and what's of how we either get or don't get Gus:

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/11/16/16667542/gus-malzahn-arkansas-coaching-search-bret-bielema

Safe to say that a few more Arkansans than usual will be tuning into the Iron Bowl this year.

moses_007

May be my only time in my life to root for Alabama.

Dropkick

Pecos Hog

So Gus wins either way the game turns out?

Hollywood870

Who says Gus doesn't come regardless? It's not impossible. Would kinda suck for recruiting unless he announced after the regular season. Then he could stay and coach Auburn through the playoff or they could tell him to get lost.

BloodRedHog

Hmm..sounds like a rumor started by Jimmy Sexton to get Gus a raise from his current employer.
Handling all your mortgage and home financing needs...

Pecos Hog

Quote from: BloodRedHog on November 16, 2017, 09:10:09 pm
Hmm..sounds like a rumor started by Jimmy Sexton to get Gus a raise from his current employer.

Classic Jimmy rat there.

East Clintwood

Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

regi

Doesn't matter who wins that game.  He wants out,  according to people who cover,  both Arkansas and AU.  Losing to Bama though,  could make it happen sooner.

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: regi on November 16, 2017, 09:42:16 pm
Doesn't matter who wins that game.  He wants out,  according to people who cover,  both Arkansas and AU.  Losing to Bama though,  could make it happen sooner.

If he loses to Bama things will move at hyper speed.

EastexHawg

Auburn isn't going to lose the Iron Bowl, and if they win that game they will manhandle Georgia again.

Dropkick

He could beat Bama and lose to Georgia and still move on before early signing period.

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on November 16, 2017, 09:43:47 pm
If he loses to Bama things will move at hyper speed.

Show it. Coach the Iron Bowl wearing an Arkansas sweater and I say he is serious about the job.

BloodRedHog

Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehog on November 16, 2017, 09:48:32 pm
Show it. Coach the Iron Bowl wearing an Arkansas sweater and I say he is serious about the job.

Or wear a red tie...Gruden-esque
Handling all your mortgage and home financing needs...

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: BloodRedHog on November 16, 2017, 09:56:04 pm
Or wear a red tie...Gruden-esque

No thanks that is just a 'Moral victory' I want 100% commitment.

Hollywood870

"If we don't Arkansas may swoop in and pick him up."

Pecos Hog

razorbrass

Ladies and Gentlemen can I please have your attention.  I've just been handed an urgent and horrifying news story and I need all of you to stop what you are doing and listen!

The Hawg Marshal

woodrow hog call

Quote from: Hollywood870 on November 16, 2017, 09:08:01 pm
Who says Gus doesn't come regardless? It's not impossible. Would kinda suck for recruiting unless he announced after the regular season. Then he could stay and coach Auburn through the playoff or they could tell him to get lost.

This is what I think as well, he can win it all and then announce after the title game that, he is going home.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

checkraiser88

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on November 16, 2017, 10:08:43 pm
Wow. I read the whole thread. They don't care a lot for him. If I was him I'd leave too.

Wow they treat him as bad as we treat BB

grayhawg

Quote from: woodrow hog call on November 16, 2017, 10:09:17 pm
This is what I think as well, he can win it all and then announce after the title game that, he is going home.
We won't wait that long, we have to have a head coach in the early signing period and for visiting players. If it is after the NC Game Norvell will be coach.

NuttinItUp

redeye

QuoteIt's fueled by Gus being from Northwest Arkansas and Houston being from Little Rock. That's when things began to really divide. I think it got to a point where people felt like they had to choose sides."

Is this true?  I never saw it that way.  I wanted HDN gone long before Malzahn, and I would have chosen Malzahn over Nutt, but I'm from LR.

If it is true, it's hard to believe that we have so many petty fans.  I'm not a Malzahn fanboy, but just didn't like HDN as our coach.

Pecos Hog

Pecos Hog

Quote from: checkraiser88 on November 16, 2017, 10:09:37 pm
Wow they treat him as bad as we treat BB

How long do you think the Aubies would have put up with BB's record at Arkansas?   5 years?   We've been very patient with BB.   

hobhog

Win a national championship at AU then head for the Hill.

GuvHog

Quote from: grayhawg on November 16, 2017, 10:12:24 pm
We won't wait that long, we have to have a head coach in the early signing period and for visiting players. If it is after the NC Game Norvell will be coach.

Exactly. I've said it before and I'll say it again:  If Auburn beats Alabama, Arkansas won't even bother to make Gus an offer. Doing so would be a complete waste of time and they need a new HC in place very, very quickly due to the early signing period coming in late December.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Drop the Mike

This is crazy talk. Jimmy would never do such a thing.

Al Boarland

Quote from: moses_007 on November 16, 2017, 09:01:32 pm
May be my only time in my life to root for Alabama.

Why? You've said it was a done deal in other threads.

Al Boarland

Quote from: regi on November 16, 2017, 09:42:16 pm

No one covering AU has said he wants out.

Been10Hog

Quote from: GuvHog on November 17, 2017, 08:02:01 am
Exactly. I've said it before and I'll say it again:  If Auburn beats Alabama, Arkansas won't even bother to make Gus an offer. Doing so would be a complete waste of time and they need a new HC in place very, very quickly due to the early signing period coming in late December.
If Gus wants to come home, he will! He won't let winning a NC keep him from coming. He's just one bad year or Bama loss from being fired and he knows it! If he gets blown out by Bama he may get fired without cause and get a huge "moving stipend" to come home! Wish I had his problems

GuvHog

Quote from: Been10Hog on November 17, 2017, 08:32:20 am
If Gus wants to come home, he will! He won't let winning a NC keep him from coming. He's just one bad year or Bama loss from being fired and he knows it! If he gets blown out by Bama he may get fired without cause and get a huge "moving stipend" to come home! Wish I had his problems

Wishful thinking. Like I said If Auburn wins the Iron Bowl, Arkansas isn't getting Gus.

Vantage 8 dude

Oh you can bet that whatever is (or isn't) actually going on behind the scenes ole Jimmy will see to it that not only does Gus make out like a bandit, but that his pockets are lined even further as well.

Been10Hog

Quote from: GuvHog on November 17, 2017, 08:36:08 am
Wishful thinking. Like I said If Auburn wins the Iron Bowl, Arkansas isn't getting Gus.

Why should winning a NC or beating Bama have anything to do with whether he comes home or not? He's gonna get paid! He's always gonna have boosters threatening to fire him if he loses to Bama! If he get's embarrassed by Bama he may get fired without cause and have huge buyout to help with moving expenses. If he wins out he can come home and try to be on par with Saban and Meyer to win NC at 2 schools. It's about where he wants to be and where he thinks his family will be happiest! If Auburn would pay him 5 mil/yr and we only offer 4.8 mil/yr is that really gonna matter? I think it will come down to lifestyle and security. If he doesn't trust Auburn and/or he wants to finish his career and retire in Arkansas he's coming! Iron bowl isn't determining anything unless he loses and gets fired and gets his "moving expenses" paid for

woodrow hog call

Quote from: GuvHog on November 17, 2017, 08:02:01 am

This is an untruth, shocked I tell ya, completely shocked.

For one thing the offer has already been made and the Iron bowl is 8 days away.

searkhogfan

ArkansasI

I'll say this, Arkansas recruiting in the two major sports should markedly improve because coaches that have spent time on our campus and others clearly desire to do whatever they can to get back to Fayetteville.

EastexHawg

We have Arkansas fans rooting for a coach at another school to beat Saban, and maybe win both the SEC championship (his second) and get into the national championship system (also his second time)...so they can avoid having him coach at Arkansas.

Makes perfect sense.

GuvHog

Quote from: Been10Hog on November 17, 2017, 08:43:05 am
Why should winning a NC or beating Bama have anything to do with whether he comes home or not? He's gonna get paid! He's always gonna have boosters threatening to fire him if he loses to Bama! If he get's embarrassed by Bama he may get fired without cause and have huge buyout to help with moving expenses. If he wins out he can come home and try to be on par with Saban and Meyer to win NC at 2 schools. It's about where he wants to be and where he thinks his family will be happiest! If Auburn would pay him 5 mil/yr and we only offer 4.8 mil/yr is that really gonna matter? I think it will come down to lifestyle and security. If he doesn't trust Auburn and/or he wants to finish his career and retire in Arkansas he's coming! Iron bowl isn't determining anything unless he loses and gets fired and gets his "moving expenses" paid for

It's really very simple. If Auburn beats Bama, Arkansas will have to outbid Auburn to get Gus and that won't happen because Arkansas doesn't have the time to get into a bidding war. Arkansas HAS to have a new head coach in place very, very quickly because of the early signing period so they aren't going to wait for Gus to coach Auburn in a bowl game or in the playoff. They may not even wait til after the SECCG.

Been10Hog

Quote from: GuvHog on November 17, 2017, 09:00:47 am
It's really very simple. If Auburn beats Bama, Arkansas will have to outbid Auburn to get Gus and that won't happen because Arkansas doesn't have the time to get into a bidding war. Arkansas HAS to have a new head coach in place very, very quickly because of the early signing period so they aren't going to wait for Gus to coach Auburn in a bowl game or in the playoff. They may not even wait til after the SECCG.
Really? If Gus comes here it won't be because we offer $100,000 more than Auburn. It will be a lifestyle choice and a desire to take his state school where it never has been

The Hawg Marshal

I think we'll have a new coach the week after the Missouri game. Who it will be is anyone's guess. I'm just ready for it to happen and have some hope again.

Vantage 8 dude

I've said this on several other threads, however, unless one has experienced the true craziness of football in the state of Alabama you can't truly appreciate the "win the next game or you're fired" mentality. While every school has its fair share of crazy/unreasonable fans, and that includes Arkansas, I know, I know, that comes as a huge shock, you can't even imagine what lunacy can exist when it comes to the absolute insane antipathy and hatred between Awbarn and Alabama. I'm not sure how a marriage or household could even survive down there if for some reason there was a graduate from each school residing in one. There would be a civil war virtually every day of the year!! I swear that were the two teams to ever become so bad that they were both winless it ultimately wouldn't matter just as long as one beat the other to claim their lone victory of the year.

So under these circumstances I could well imagine that Gus might want to move somewhere else. Not saying it will happen and at this point I'm more or less ambivalent toward the whole issue; however, it could make some real sense no matter which way this year's Iron Bowl turns out.

searkhogfan

Quote from: EastexHawg on November 17, 2017, 09:00:37 am
We have Arkansas fans rooting for a coach at another school to beat Saban, and maybe win both the SEC championship (his second) and get into the national championship system (also his second time)...so they can avoid having him coach at Arkansas.

Makes perfect sense.

12-2
8-5
7-6
8-5

That's Gus' record at AU before this year.  With Auburn's Top 10 recruiting classes.  What would his record have been with the Hogs playing the exact same schedule.  With Arkansas' at best, Top 30 recruiting classes. 

Been10Hog

Quote from: searkhogfan on November 17, 2017, 09:15:10 am
12-2
8-5
7-6
8-5

That's Gus' record at AU before this year.  With Auburn's Top 10 recruiting classes.  What would his record have been with the Hogs playing the exact same schedule.  With Arkansas' at best, Top 30 recruiting classes.

Exact same schedule? Except for they have played Clemson the past 2 years and Georgia to go along with their rent-a-wins

woodrow hog call

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on November 17, 2017, 09:09:48 am
I've said this on several other threads, however, unless one has experienced the true craziness of football in the state of Alabama you can't truly appreciate the "win the next game or you're fired" mentality. While every school has its fair share of crazy/unreasonable fans, and that includes Arkansas, I know, I know, that comes as a huge shock, you can't even imagine what lunacy can exist when it comes to the absolute insane antipathy and hatred between Awbarn and Alabama. I'm not sure how a marriage or household could even survive down there if for some reason there was a graduate from each school residing in one. There would be a civil war virtually every day of the year!! I swear that were the two teams to ever become so bad that they were both winless it ultimately wouldn't matter just as long as one beat the other to claim their lone victory of the year.

So under these circumstances I could well imagine that Gus might want to move somewhere else. Not saying it will happen and at this point I'm more or less ambivalent toward the whole issue; however, it could make some real sense no matter which way this year's Iron Bowl turns out.

I don't know why this is so hard for people to understand, but you pretty much nailed it.
To think a guy is going to make a life changing decision based on wining one game, is pretty insane, to me.

It's my home state, it's the school I started both my playing and coaching careers at, it's the job I have dreamed having since I won my first game at Hughes high school but, no I won't take it because I beat bama in the Iron bowl and I'm loved here for a minute.

searkhogfan

Quote from: Been10Hog on November 17, 2017, 09:17:34 am
Exact same schedule? Except for they have played Clemson the past 2 years and Georgia to go along with their rent-a-wins

They're in the west, same as us.   Take Clemson off their schedule & replace them with another rent a win. Just as Arkansas schedule.  Add another win to their last 2 Years schedule.  He'd still have a lackluster record with Auburn's recruits.  Not exactly,  what I think we need as a coach

NuttinItUp

Quote from: searkhogfan on November 17, 2017, 09:15:10 am
12-2
8-5
7-6
8-5

Gus vs. Bret

43-20 (24-15 SEC) vs. 29-32 (11-27 SEC)

I think I would prefer the former vs. the latter.