Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Do you like our Uniforms for A&M Game?

Started by moses_007, September 22, 2017, 04:37:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you think of these Cowboy themed Hog Uniforms?

I love them and wish they'd wear them always.
41 (36.3%)
They're okay for this one game and that's it.
45 (39.8%)
I'd prefer Arkansas wear the reflective helmets they wore in the Liberty Bowl.
6 (5.3%)
I don't care much for them.
10 (8.8%)
I hate them.
11 (9.7%)

Total Members Voted: 113

Voting closed: September 25, 2017, 12:56:44 pm

moses_007

I must admit, they are Cowboys' themed uniforms. 

moses_007

From Whole Hog Sports:

FAYETTEVILLE — While watching a Cowboys game in Minnesota last December, Hayden Redd began to doodle.

The Cowboys were wearing their Nike Color Rush uniforms - the specialty ones most NFL teams pull out for Thursday night games - and the thought popped into Redd's mind: What would a Color Rush uniform look like at Arkansas?

"I was kind of messing around, honestly, trying to think of something neat and cool with that," said Redd, a 27-year-old third-year law student from Fort Smith who also is a graduate assistant with the UA athletics department. "Then it kind of dawned on me: What if we wore that against A&M in Jerry World?"

Around the same time, Arkansas' athletics department was kicking around ideas to honor Jerry Jones should he be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame's class of 2017. Jones, who played for the Razorbacks from 1962-64, had been named a finalist for the hall, but the vote wasn't for another couple of months.

Redd's thought was to combine his Color Rush idea with a way to recognize Jones, who "we knew was a first-ballot hall of famer."

Over the course of a couple of days, Redd put together a design in Photoshop that replicated the Cowboys' jerseys with Arkansas' colors and logo. He sent the first draft via text message to Arkansas athletics director Jeff Long, who was in the Dallas suburb of Grapevine for the final meeting of the College Football Playoff Selection Committee.

"He texted back, "I love it!" Redd said. "When he got back from the meetings we chatted about it a little more. Then he kind of brought in people who had much better Photoshop skills than myself and really got some good artwork on it. He and Coach (Bret Bielema), (associate athletics director) Chris Freet and Jake Rosch, our equipment manager, kind of took it and ran, and did it with Nike.

"It was fun to watch that whole process and see everybody come together on a pretty neat project."

Redd, a longtime Cowboys fan who worked with the team as an intern at this summer's training camp, said the Jones family was immediately receptive to the concept when approached early this year.

"The initial feedback was that they loved it; really liked the idea and concept, and really appreciated the gesture," Redd said.

"It was very sentimental to him and meant a lot to him."

Redd said his interest in creating a special uniform was a byproduct of his interest in specialty jersey designs. He said he routinely reads blog posts about concepts at other schools. He also hears the feedback from old-timers who prefer the same look every week.

"I think the argument you always hear is that traditional teams don't change up their uniforms, and I get that," Redd said. "But flip the coin and schools like Oklahoma and Ohio State, Florida and Notre Dame are wearing unique stuff. Even LSU has worn some different stuff recently.

"From the players' perspective it's something exciting for a game. We're not talking about a total rebrand and total change, but it's something that gets guys going. The fan response has been pretty positive as well.

"It's kind of different, kind of fun."

Redd said the project had to clear several hurdles. In an interview with ESPN.com Wednesday, Rosch, the equipment manager, said organizations that had to sign off included Nike, the Razorbacks, the Cowboys, the NFL, NCAA and Southeastern Conference.

"You've got licensing, you've got trademarking," Rosch said. "There's a lot that went into this to make sure we were within rule. Obviously, there was a retail aspect of it as well, because they're selling replica uniforms. So there are a lot of boxes that had to be checked in order for this to happen.

"Nike usually likes to do these things at least a year out. It was a short window."

It might have seemed longer for Redd, who said he is happy to see his alma mater wear a jersey he helped inspire at the stadium of his favorite pro team.

The Razorbacks only are expected to wear the uniform once. No one will say whether some of the jersey elements will be used at other points in the future.

"Hopefully the result is good Saturday and it makes us want to wear them next week, too," Redd said. "But right now it's just geared toward that tribute and hopefully it's well-received on Saturday and helps launch us to a great game and a great win."

threeNout

I don't like it.

The Cowboys should be wearing Razorback themed unis.

I'll be happy when we find our identity again.

Wild Bill Hog

Wear old tee shirts and overalls - anything - to finally beat A&M.

GunnerHawg70

I think they're pretty slick...The only thing I would change is red Hog on helmet vice white Hog...

PorkRinds

I've known Hayden Redd for a long time. Coached he and Tyler Wilson on the same baseball team. Had no idea it was his project. Pretty cool. 

NoogaHog

They are not my favorite, but I appreciate them for what they are and what they represent. I am fine with them for 1 game but I would not want to see them again. Those '64 throwbacks, however...
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

hogcard1964

No, we need to stop with the gimmicky uniforms. 

We have classic uniforms.  Leave them alone.  Back to the basics.

PorkRinds

Quote from: hogcard1964 on September 22, 2017, 09:15:42 am

Stop saying we. You're a bama fan.

TNRazorbacker

Really like these. Best alternate uni's yet and better looking than the regulars. I'd like to see them switch to these as regulars.

The Hawg Marshal

The uniforms are fine for what they represent. Just win baby!

hawgsalot

I think they are pretty sweet and I would do anything to end this streak against a&m and turn this thing around.

hogcard1964

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 22, 2017, 09:16:09 am
Stop saying we. You're a bama fan.

It's not possible to like more than one team?

...and that's Bama with a capital B, not bama.     ;)

You realize I'm a Northern Illinois fan also?  Is that also frowned upon?

Btw, NIU has awesome unis.

SemperFi

Really like these new uniforms and I'm a hard core Steelers fan. I would like to see them used more often.

I have no idea why so many have to complain about every uniform change. The kids wearing them are still Razorbacks regardless what they look like on the outside. We're not Alabama and I could care less about their traditions or their boring azz uniforms. I have not one positive thought about bama or the other 12 SEC schools. I want the Hogs to beat them into submission from football to checkers. So, if they want to keep their uniforms stuck in the 50's then let'em. If we can add some fun to the uniform then let'em have fun.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

Hawgndaaz

uniforms look great. fans of other teams have said the same.

get over it you old codgers!

Locutus_of_Boar

The only alternate uniforms that really looked good were the 1964 throwbacks.  Maybe that's because any team wearing such straightforward work clothes can't help but be taken seriously.

The Jerryworld unis at least don't color clash but like most alternate uniforms they are a bit too much and reinforce the notion that these are just play actors in gaudy costume.

The very idea of alternate uniforms tends to emphasize a far more serious problem that has grown worse with time as this program looses any sense of continuing identity.

Yamahog

I'm all for it. We need any help we can get.

The_Iceman

The jerseys are the best Red jerseys we have had in years. Silver pants and helmets are cool for just this one game.

Take this jersey, combine it with the pants from the 1964 throwback (or 2006 unis), and the classic red helmet, and you have the perfect Home Uniform!

Razorbackers

These uniforms are dope af. Everyone loves them.

hogcard1964

Quote from: SemperFi on September 22, 2017, 09:28:59 am
Really like these new uniforms and I'm a hard core Steelers fan. I would like to see them used more often.

I have no idea why so many have to complain about every uniform change. The kids wearing them are still Razorbacks regardless what they look like on the outside. We're not Alabama and I could care less about their traditions or their boring azz uniforms. I have not one positive thought about bama or the other 12 SEC schools. I want the Hogs to beat them into submission from football to checkers. So, if they want to keep their uniforms stuck in the 50's then let'em. If we can add some fun to the uniform then let'em have fun.

Steelers have the best unis in the NFL.  Speaking of them, watch Iowa vs Penn St tomorrow night if you want to see two uniform designs that are classics and really haven't been messed with too much.

ND

Okay, sure, I know that these sorts of things are important to folks, especially players and recruits, to whom looking cool on national television is important, I get that. 

But every time they do something like this, the first image that flashes into my mind is Jeff Long in his office like "10-22 in conference play after 5 years?  Bah!  Check out the new uniforms!":

Personally, I don't care what they wear.  Winning is more attractive than flashy uniforms to me.

N

buldozer

I like the unies.... for a special game and to be used one time. More importantly, I hope the players like them and play above their level on Sat.

hoghearted

I like the gesture, honoring Jerry Jones and his connection to the program. As to the unis themselves? Meh. Looks like OSU.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

Polecat

I really like them. Will like them even better if we get a win Saturday
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

DoctorSusscrofa

Hate them worse than any we've ever had.  Hate them. HATE THEM. They are not Arkansas Razorback uniforms. they are red Cowboys uniforms with our logo stuck to them.  Hate them.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

Ironhawg

Did you hear the interview with Jerry Jones talking about these uniforms?  He starts talking about what wearing the Hog helmet meant and means to him and gets a little choked up.  I have to admit it got me a little misty-eyed. 

PorkRinds

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on September 22, 2017, 10:22:48 am
Hate them worse than any we've ever had.  Hate them. HATE THEM. They are not Arkansas Razorback uniforms. they are red Cowboys uniforms with our logo stuck to them.  Hate them.

They are kinda supposed to look like red cowboy uniforms with our logo on them...

phadedhawg

I'm too biased against the Cowboys to ever be a fan of these but if the kids like 'em, I'm all for it.

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 22, 2017, 10:23:45 am
They are kinda supposed to look like red cowboy uniforms with our logo on them...
And I absolutely hate that.  Hate it.

Razorbackers

DeltaHog66

Yeah they're supposed to look like cowboys uniforms, because they're a tribute to jerry jones. They're sharp.

DoctorSusscrofa

Jones was a Hog before he owned the Cowboys.  There are many ways to honor someone.  Putting on his clothes and trying to look like him is one way.  I prefer other ways.  I hate these uniforms.  The players, coaches, uniform/equipment guys and many fans can love them all they want.  I hate them.  I still want the Hogs to win.  I will still watch the game.  But the thread asked what we thought about the uniforms.  I said I hate them.  And I do.

ND

I get the feeling that Doc doesn't like the new uniforms all that much.

N

Atlhogfan1

Great gesture to honor Jerry this one time after his HOF induction.

Don't like the uniforms.  Hate the Cowboys.   Have no problem with them being worn because of why. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: ND on September 22, 2017, 10:35:58 am

N

:) Does it show?

ND

RebHog

Quote from: GunnerHawg70 on September 22, 2017, 08:55:37 am
I think they're pretty slick...The only thing I would change is red Hog on helmet vice white Hog...

I agree with this but other than that luv em wish they would be used on a regular basis....... HOW BOUT DEM RAZORBOYS!!!

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: ND on September 22, 2017, 10:35:58 am

N

Are you sure Doc doesn't like the uni's??? I mean his words were very complementary and not once did I get the feeling that he hates them...LOL ;)

gchamblee

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on September 22, 2017, 10:33:39 am
Jones was a Hog before he owned the Cowboys.  There are many ways to honor someone.  Putting on his clothes and trying to look like him is one way.  I prefer other ways.  I hate these uniforms.  The players, coaches, uniform/equipment guys and many fans can love them all they want.  I hate them.  I still want the Hogs to win.  I will still watch the game.  But the thread asked what we thought about the uniforms.  I said I hate them.  And I do.

Just................wow. We are playing in a stadium that one of our alumni built, on a field that his professional football team calls home, and to wear a uniform for 1 game that honors him and his accomplishment really offends you. Thats some impressive hatred right there. I hope you get your new coach/AD soon so that you can spit all of that venom out before you accidentally swallow.

hawkhawg

Those are sharp.  It doesn't matter what you old stick in the muds think, It is all about the kidz. 

ND

Quote from: GunnerHawg70 on September 22, 2017, 10:40:33 am
Are you sure Doc doesn't like the uni's??? I mean his words were very complementary and not once did I get the feeling that he hates them...LOL ;)

Yeah, I mean, I think I may really be going out on a limb with my assumptions.  I'm still not entirely convinced, though.  Haha.

N

jcbville

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: gchamblee on September 22, 2017, 10:41:32 am
Just................wow. We are playing in a stadium that one of our alumni built, on a field that his professional football team calls home, and to wear a uniform for 1 game that honors him and his accomplishment really offends you. Thats some impressive hatred right there. I hope you get your new coach/AD soon so that you can spit all of that venom out before you accidentally swallow.

I don't hate Jones or the Coach.  I doubt BB gets fired anytime soon. If he keeps losing, he needs to go, but my dislike of the uniform has nothing to do with Jones or the Coach.  I don't like changing our uniform away from our traditional unis.  I like the red helmet with no stripe.  I like cardinal red jerseys that don't look quite so much like we're trying to look like someone we aren't (NFL team).  If you want to look like someone else that's fine.  Wear a picture of Jerry on your forehead.  He was a great captain and has been a great supporter of the Hogs, but that doesn't mean we have to put his clothes on in order to "honor" him.

Uncle Remus

I really like them.  With the silver helmet...which I realize makes them true Cowboy replicas...they have a little Ohio State feel to them.  I would be totally fine with either the throwback 64 uni's being worn more or going with these with a different helmet going forward.  I think they have a classic feel to them.

ND

Am I the only one who kinda ignored the uniforms at first and looked closer at the guy who is modeling them and think, "Who is that guy and can he play this weekend?"

N

RebHog

Quote from: gchamblee on September 22, 2017, 10:41:32 am

All he said was he didn't like the uniforms and thought there was other ways to honor Jones and you have to go out of your way to bring you lovefest for BB into the mix.  :puke:

Kinda wonder at times if your really BB and pulling a Kevin Durant   ;D ;D

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

gchamblee

Quote from: RebHog on September 22, 2017, 10:56:59 am
All he said was he didn't like the uniforms and thought there was other ways to honor Jones and you have to go out of your way to bring you lovefest for BB into the mix.  :puke:

Kinda wonder at times if you a BB and pulling a Kevin Durant   ;D ;D

I don't have a lovefest for BB. I am not invested in the man being our coach. Thanks for taking the time to give me a free psyche eval.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: The_Iceman on September 22, 2017, 09:48:34 am
The jerseys are the best Red jerseys we have had in years. Silver pants and helmets are cool for just this one game.

Take this jersey, combine it with the pants from the 1964 throwback (or 2006 unis), and the classic red helmet, and you have the perfect Home Uniform!

Qualifying my response by saying we all have differing opinions on the subject of uniforms - yours couldn't be more wrong, in MY opinion.

The "perfect" home uniforms would include a traditional solid red (cardinal) Arkansas jersey - the one that DMac wore is perfectly acceptable.  And it was already paired with white pants with two red stripes.  So, no changes needed to that uni.

Personally, I do NOT like these Cowboy-inspired Arkansas uniforms, BUT understand why they are wearing them and so do not have a problem with them as a one-time thing.  As others have mentioned, do not understand why the helmet Hog is not red (instead of white) - that would match the color scheme in the Cowboys blue-jersey uniforms (note dark blue star on both the sleeve and helmet).

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: hogcard1964 on September 22, 2017, 09:15:42 am

We haven't had classic uniforms since Nutt.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?