Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Head Coach Committee

Started by harrisburghog, September 21, 2017, 09:21:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

harrisburghog

On the next head coach that's hired who would be ok with using a committee to hire the next coach the way they did Nutt and who would you like to see on the committee?

RazorbackAlways

Gonzo

The_Iceman

If it comes to that, Jeff Long will make that hire.

Name one hire Jeff Long has made that was a bad hire AT THE TIME the coach was hired. (Not end results)

Wildhog

Quote from: Gonzo on September 21, 2017, 09:24:10 am
Should be a HV vote

Go Hogs!

I expect big things from Coach Frito Pie.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Uncle Remus

Can we talk about this when it would actually be relevant?  Don't see this being a timely topic until the end of next season...if a program melt down continues.

hoglady

No.
I don't think committee's work well - coaches don't like to openly be seen pursuing a job.
And certainly don't like "interviewing" with a committee. It's a bad look if they don't get the job, puts them on bad terms with their current fan base and players.
You are limiting your options hiring this way - impossible to keep things from getting out to the public.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

3kgthog

Quote from: The_Iceman on September 21, 2017, 09:28:35 am

Name one hire Jeff Long has made that was a bad hire AT THE TIME the coach was hired. (Not end results)

Jimmy Dykes, disaster from day one.

Gonzo

Quote from: Wildhog on September 21, 2017, 09:29:38 am
I expect big things from Coach Frito Pie.

FIRE FRITO PIE!!!!!!

Too early? Do I need to give Frito Pie more time?

Go Hogs!

hoglady

Quote from: 3kgthog on September 21, 2017, 09:34:38 am
Jimmy Dykes, disaster from day one.

Oh man - you've got that right.
Publicity stunt on the back of the women's basketball program.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

The NewEra

Quote from: harrisburghog on September 21, 2017, 09:21:14 am
On the next head coach that's hired who would be ok with using a committee to hire the next coach the way they did Nutt and who would you like to see on the committee?

Click your heels three times Dorothy and wake up.  You are living in a dream world.  There won't be a coaching search any time soon.

ND

The committees of the past were a good mix of people from different eras of the program, some of whom were still involved in it at the time.  I'm not so sure such a diverse committee could be put together today.  Plus, I doubt a committee would be put together now that Long has been here 9 years and has a pretty good grasp on the hill, pun intended.

N     

Iceman, Bret Bielema was a terrible hire if winning was a priority, but Jeff Long didn't have enough football knowledge to understand that.  Assuming that Bret lived up to everything one would expect from a proven winner such as he was, a football mind would have understood his scheme would be an impossible fit in the SEC for a team like Arkansas which is midtier at best.  Had Mr. Long understood the history of Arkansas, he would have known we don't get the linemen on both sides of the ball to just line up and run over the SEC teams or hold them nearly at will on defense.  We are in the mess we are in right now because of Jeff Long's inability to know the program, understand the situation and try and get a fit, not just a big name.  Bret will never be really successful here just due to scheme alone.  We will never have the horses to line up and just run over the competition.  Add to that, Bret isn't a Guy many assistants desire to work for, he isn't a great manager of time, conditioning, training of personnel or great decisions on gameday.  But even if he was all that, he would still under achieve because you cannot run over a Clydesdale with a Shetland.  Jeff Long should have known the the situation he was hiring to, he didn't.

justmakeit2thebcs

Committees don't work.  They don't work in life and the sure as hell don't work when hiring a football coach.  HDN was who Frank wanted, the committee was a farce that new UofA president wanted because of JFB's reputation. 

Committees=Leaks.  No coach worth hiring is gong to to deal with a "committee".  Search firms are the new norm.   

Wildhog

Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on September 21, 2017, 09:53:45 am
Committees don't work.  They don't work in life and the sure as hell don't work when hiring a football coach.  HDN was who Frank wanted, the committee was a farce that new UofA president wanted because of JFB's reputation. 

Committees=Leaks.  No coach worth hiring is gong to to deal with a "committee".  Search firms are the new norm.   

Last time we used a search firm we got John Pelphrey.
1909/1964/1965/1977

justmakeit2thebcs

Quote from: 12247 on September 21, 2017, 09:52:25 am
Iceman, Bret Bielema was a terrible hire if winning was a priority, but Jeff Long didn't have enough football knowledge to understand that.  Assuming that Bret lived up to everything one would expect from a proven winner such as he was, a football mind would have understood his scheme would be an impossible fit in the SEC for a team like Arkansas which is midtier at best.  Had Mr. Long understood the history of Arkansas, he would have known we don't get the linemen on both sides of the ball to just line up and run over the SEC teams or hold them nearly at will on defense.  We are in the mess we are in right now because of Jeff Long's inability to know the program, understand the situation and try and get a fit, not just a big name.  Bret will never be really successful here just due to scheme alone.  We will never have the horses to line up and just run over the competition.  Add to that, Bret isn't a Guy many assistants desire to work for, he isn't a great manager of time, conditioning, training of personnel or great decisions on gameday.  But even if he was all that, he would still under achieve because you cannot run over a Clydesdale with a Shetland.  Jeff Long should have known the the situation he was hiring to, he didn't.
No football knowledge....really? Please compare his playing/coaching/football administration career too you own.   I'll hang up and listen.   

ND

Actually Brett was a great hire and Long was widely praised for it.  He was a winning coach in the Big 10, with back to back Rose Bowl appearances and had done great things in the short time he had been at Wisconsin.  Based on his resume, I think Long made a good call.

But what makes a good coach at one team in one conference, may not make a good coach at another team in another conference, as we are all well aware of.

N

justmakeit2thebcs

Quote from: Wildhog on September 21, 2017, 09:54:31 am
Last time we used a search firm we got John Pelphrey.
Point?  That they don't always get it right? Who does?  Plus search committees just bring you names, they don't hire.  Pelphrey wasn't the only name John White had to choose from.

Wildhog

Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on September 21, 2017, 10:00:38 am
Point?  That they don't always get it right? Who does?  Plus search committees just bring you names, they don't hire.  Pelphrey wasn't the only name John White had to choose from.

It's the AD's job.  Plus the AD is more familiar with his school's situation.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Next1_04

Quote from: Uncle Remus on September 21, 2017, 09:31:38 am
Can we talk about this when it would actually be relevant?  Don't see this being a timely topic until the end of next season...if a program melt down continues.

This has to be the best post I have read on here since the season started.
+1,000,000.01

DoctorSusscrofa

Frank wanted HDN for that coaching change?  I'm not sure I remember Frank and the Committee agreeing on that.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

ND

Quote from: Wildhog on September 21, 2017, 10:01:31 am
It's the AD's job.  Plus the AD is more familiar with his school's situation.

Agreed.  I think hiring committees are done more to offer up a couple of opinions and appease naysayers than to actually do any hiring.  I think people give hiring committees more credit than they deserve.

N

Gonzo

Quote from: ND on September 21, 2017, 09:59:39 am
Actually Brett was a great hire and Long was widely praised for it.  He was a winning coach in the Big 10, with back to back Rose Bowl appearances and had done great things in the short time he had been at Wisconsin.  Based on his resume, I think Long made a good call.

But what makes a good coach at one team in one conference, may not make a good coach at another team in another conference, as we are all well aware of.

N

I concur for the most part. I know I though it was a more impressive hire than I expected. They don't always work out, as a Hog fan I'm still hoping this one does of course. If not, I hope the next one does.

Go Hogs!

hogcard1964

Quote from: The_Iceman on September 21, 2017, 09:28:35 am

John L. Smith and Dykes.

Both really bad.

...and no, Long cannot be involved in the search and hire of the next coach.

greenie

Committees are used when no one wants to take responsibility for a hire -or- when you want to give the appearance of a communal effort.  Long is not afraid of taking responsibility for his hires, so unless there's a push from above him, you won't see a committee. 

Regardless, this conversation has only entertainment value since there is zero indication, at this point, that we are going to be looking for a new football coach anytime soon.

ND

I'm with you, Gonzo.  I grew up during the Hatfield era and was playing junior high and high school football during part of the Crowe and Ford eras.  Because I wanted to be a Razorback, I was much more "into" the program at that time.  So, having experienced that Crowe/Ford disappointment so intimately, I too was pleasantly surprised by the Bielema hire.  It's ironic because I remember being indifferent about the Nutt and Petrino hires, yet they did a heck of alot better than Brett has.

N

island hog

Quote from: 12247 on September 21, 2017, 09:52:25 am
"Bret isn't a Guy many assistants desire to work for, he isn't a great manager of time, conditioning, training of personnel".... this has been your mantra over and over and over along with the Long hate.  Coach B had more than enough credentials to be hired here and brought a spotlight to the Razorbacks that we needed to get us out of our abyss.  You talk and state facts as though you are at practices, in the meeting rooms or know him personally.  The only thing you left out this time is that Coach B doesn't put in the time or work hard, which you harp on incessantly... let me ask you and answer honestly, do you want to Hogs to win this week and do well the rest of the year??   

SpaCityHawg

Frank wanted Tubberville.