Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Key to Understanding Jeff Long's Corruption and Why He Must Go

Started by KennyForAD, October 09, 2017, 09:34:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

KennyForAD

Before I get started, please understand that it does not matter whether you believe that Petrino should or should not have been fired.   If you believe that there is any university out there which would have retained Petrino, you are almost certainly wrong.  It isn't that the coach had an affair, or hired his girlfriend, etc.  Petrino had to be let go because the way the affair was exposed created an unacceptable 'Embarrassment to the University.'  Causing an embarrassment to the UofA was actually a ground for termination for cause in his contract - which he plainly violated.  Petrino's fate was sealed on day one and Jeff Long knew that.  Regardless, this is beside the point and I only bring it all up so that you don't dismiss what I'm telling you because you think I'm hacked that Petrino was fired.  I would have fired him. 

Second, you need to know a little bit of employment law.  This is very basic stuff that every law student knows.  Actually, nearly every American knows it: If you are a qualified candidate applying for a job, and you were not hired solely because of your race, religion, sex, age, ethnicity, or disability, etc., then you were a victim of illegal discrimination, and are entitled to file suit and to have a judge force the employer to either hire you or otherwise compensate you.  We all know that right?  Good.  Now, if you aren't a trial lawyer, and haven't been a party to a discrimination suit, you probably don't know the rest, but, not to worry, its pretty straight forward:   To win a discrimination suit, you MUST show that you are a member of a class of people specifically protected in the statute, such as "Asian." (the statute says employers may not discriminate on basis of race, therefore 'Asian' is a 'protected class' in this example.)  If you fail to prove that you are in a 'protected class,' you LOSE - right off the bat.  If, however, you prove that you were qualified for the position, and that you ARE in a protected class (catholic), then you are done!  After that, the burden is on the EMPLOYER, who must prove that he or she had a 'religiously neutral' reason not to hire you.  ALL the employer must do is show that he or she had a reason to hire someone else and that reason had NOTHING TO DO with religion.

If you sue someone who hired his GIRLFRIEND instead of hiring you, and you go to court and tell the judge that he discriminated against you solely because of your race, religion, etc, (Which you would have to be because it is the ONLY way to bring suit), the judge is likely to THROW something at you.   You will be found to have brought a FRIVOLOUS lawsuit, will be laughed out of court,  forced to pay the guy you frivolously sued, and might even jailed for contempt of court - because you KNEW that he had a reason for hiring her that had NOTHING to do with discriminating against your race, religion, etc.

Jeff Long did not NEED a lawyer to tell him that Petrino did not expose the UofA to any lawsuits.  He knows exactly what I just wrote.  Still, he had a TEAM of lawyers telling him that there was ZERO potential for lawsuits.

YET JEFF LONG WENT ON NATIONAL TV AND LIED.  THERE IS NO QUESTION, NO DEBATE.  THIS IS AN ABSOLUTE.  LONG LIED ABOUT POTENTIAL LAWSUITS. 

The key to understanding just how corrupt Jeff Long is:   Ask yourself, "Why did Jeff Long tell that lie?"

Then ask, "How does Jeff Long's willingness to lie about his coach to the entire nation - just to promote himself, put Long, and therefore the UofA, in the worst negotiating position imaginable with potential coaches?"

Oklahawg

Most of those conspiracy theory websites you visit give you malware or spyware.

Just a friendly public service announcement.

Long may retire from UA - his family loves NWA and UA. He has built a body of work that the upper administration and regents support with great conviction.

Thanks for a great read, though.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

The_Iceman

You are so wrong on this. The basis of the suit was not protected class. Are you an attorney?

KennyForAD

Quote from: Oklahawg on October 09, 2017, 09:40:48 pm

Long may retire from UA - his family loves NWA and UA. He has built a body of work that the upper administration and regents support with great conviction.

I'm a thirty year trial lawyer, twerp.  I am not wrong. 

KennyForAD

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 09, 2017, 09:45:00 pm
You are so wrong on this. The basis of the suit was not protected class. Are you an attorney?

I am ... not wrong.  What cause of action do you suggest, sexual harassment?  That's no good either.  Employer Handbook?  That one doesn't work either.  What else?

ShadowHawg

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 09, 2017, 09:45:00 pm

No kidding.

Not a lawyer but studied Human Resources. The only people with the right to sue would have been current university employees who applied for the job because it would have to be a sexual harassment/hostile work place suit.

AirWarren

moses_007

I don't think he lied about potential lawsuits coming from giving the position to Bobby's mistress.  There were numerous news reports at the time that indicated that, had Long not let both Petrino and the girl go, that lawsuits could happen toward the University.  No lawsuits did happen, however.

Why Long fired him was (1) Petrino lied to the fans of Arkansas right on television about the affair; and (2) he lied to Jeff Long as well.  You don't lie to the people who pay your salary and expect to still have a job.

KennyForAD

Quote from: ShadowHawg on October 09, 2017, 09:51:06 pm
No kidding.

Not a lawyer but studied Human Resources. The only people with the right to sue would have been current university employees who applied for the job because it would have to be a sexual harassment/hostile work place suit.

Well, I AM a trial lawyer.  I have tried employment suits.  What you said does not even rise to the level of making sense.  She was NOT offended by his sexual advancements.  They ALREADY HAD a sexual relationship.

RME

The_Iceman

Quote from: KennyForAD on October 09, 2017, 09:49:58 pm
I am ... not wrong.  What cause of action do you suggest, sexual harassment?  That's no good either.  Employer Handbook?  That one doesn't work either.  What else?

Petrino's relationship with Dorrell was not against any protected class. However, it was against University policy that Petrino did not disclose his relationship with Dorrell, and then using his power and position to give her an advantage in the hiring process when there were well over 100 other qualified candidates for the job.

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

KennyForAD

Quote from: moses_007 on October 09, 2017, 09:52:40 pm
I don't think he lied about potential lawsuits coming from giving the position to Bobby's mistress.  There were numerous news reports at the time that indicated that, had Long not let both Petrino and the girl go, that lawsuits could happen toward the University.  No lawsuits did happen, however.

Why Long fired him was (1) Petrino lied to the fans of Arkansas right on television about the affair; and (2) he lied to Jeff Long as well.  You don't lie to the people who pay your salary and expect to still have a job.

So?  We are talking about Long's actions, not Petrino's.  Petrino HAD to be fired.  Long did not have to drag him through the mud, make the situation worse and lie about it. 

Every coach saw what he did.  Would YOU want to work for a guy who took advantage of the last guy's crisis, and made it worse for that guy and the school, so he could promote himself?  Not if you have options.

woodrow hog call

Quote from: KennyForAD on October 09, 2017, 09:54:03 pm
Well, I AM a trial lawyer.  I have tried employment suits.  What you said does not even rise to the level of making sense.  She was NOT offended by his sexual advancements.  They ALREADY HAD a sexual relationship.

Wow, you should put your name and contact information on here, probably drum up a ton of business.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

ShadowHawg

A
Quote from: KennyForAD on October 09, 2017, 09:54:03 pm

I wouldn't hire you. You don't know your butt from a hole in the ground. Dorell couldn't sue. She wasn't an employee of the university first of all.

Secondly, the only people who can sue under sexual harassment in this case are people who were university employees at the time. Of those, only the employees who actually applied for the job could sue as they were the only people who could claim harm in this case.

Sounds like you need to brush up.

DoubleReedHawgCaller

A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

sowmonella

FYI  Kenny Hatfield is 74 and hasn't had anything do do with college sports in over 12 years. He's never had any AD training or experience. He was a great Hog HC way back in the day and that is all. Towards the end of his coaching career he had a lot of controversy at Rice.
"In 2002 while coaching at Rice University, Hatfield was quoted in November 1 issue of the Chronicle of Higher Education that he "would not necessarily kick a player off the team for being gay, he probably would think hard about it."[5] In the article, he cited his religious beliefs as the motivation for his stance. Soon after the publication, Hatfield apologized for his comments and, though many student groups called for his firing, he continued to coach the Owls until 2005."
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.

The_Iceman

Quote from: ShadowHawg on October 09, 2017, 10:02:25 pm
A
I wouldn't hire you. You don't know your butt from a hole in the ground. Dorell couldn't sue. She wasn't an employee of the university first of all.

Secondly, the only people who can sue under sexual harassment in this case are people who were university employees at the time. Of those, only the employees who actually applied for the job could sue as they were the only people who could claim harm in this case.

Sounds like you need to brush up.

He went to court on here, and brought the wrong cause of action. He didn't even know why the Plaintiff was.

KennyForAD

Quote from: sowmonella on October 09, 2017, 09:58:58 pm
What is a trial lawyer twerp? 

Trial lawyers represent parties in trial, like Johnny Cochren, and Marsha Clark, in the OJ trial.  "Litigator" would be correct, but isn't accurate because one can be a litigator without ever trying a case to a jury.

radar

Does anybody actually believe that firing Petrino after the fact, prevented people from filing complaints against the university?

The_Iceman

Quote from: KennyForAD on October 09, 2017, 10:05:57 pm
Trial lawyers represent parties in trial, like Johnny Cochren, and Marsha Clark, in the OJ trial.  "Litigator" would be correct, but isn't accurate because one can be a litigator without ever trying a case to a jury.

He was being funny. Asking what is a "trial lawyer twerp".

KennyForAD

Quote from: sowmonella on October 09, 2017, 10:04:37 pm
FYI  Kenny Hatfield is 74 and hasn't had anything do do with college sports in over 12 years. He's never had any AD training or experience. He was a great Hog HC way back in the day and that is all. Towards the end of his coaching career he had a lot of controversy at Rice.
"In 2002 while coaching at Rice University, Hatfield was quoted in November 1 issue of the Chronicle of Higher Education that he "would not necessarily kick a player off the team for being gay, he probably would think hard about it."[5] In the article, he cited his religious beliefs as the motivation for his stance. Soon after the publication, Hatfield apologized for his comments and, though many student groups called for his firing, he continued to coach the Owls until 2005."

That's all I can take.  Do you really think I'm campaigning for Hatfield to be AD, and you put me in my place by writing an essay on why he shouldn't be?
Freaking millennials. 

Do not throw pearls before swine.  They will only trample them, then turn and gnash yo with their tusks.

A cookie to whoever knows what that means.   Later

PorkSoda

Quote from: moses_007 on October 09, 2017, 09:52:40 pm

firing petrino would have not have affected any potential law suites.  its a phony reason. a lot of the reasoning for firing Petrino was phony.  Long could have chosen to keep Petrino and no one would have batted an eyelash.

He chose to fire him, that was his choice.  He gambled on being able to find a replacement.  that replacement didn't pan out.  it is what it is.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

ballz2thewall

Quote from: radar on October 09, 2017, 10:06:25 pm
Does anybody actually believe that firing Petrino after the fact, prevented people from filing complaints against the university?

it would have a mitigating effect on any conceivable suit brought. one component of such cases is action taken by the offending employer in dealing with constitutional and/or statutory violations. firing the individual offender is the most drastic action available and would serve the university well in the event there were subsequent suits.

when you get to trial in discrimination cases, those employers that have sensitivity training for employees make great use of it at trial. it's standard operation nowadays.
The rest of the frog.

bondhue

For once I disagree with you, strongly.   His body of work, as you call it, includes the propaganda campaign that the UA is not a win at all cost institution.  I have detailed on this site how that is a false dichotomy and how it implies, wittingly or not, that other winning programs are doing it the wrong way.  It implies that a program cannot win at power 5 without cheating, or at least the U of A cannot.  Taken further, as some here have shown, it implies that previous success at this institution must have been at the cost of ethical behavior.  It is truly despicable.   Any reasonable person knows you can win and be ethical.  Even at the U of A.  I don't care if this is my last post here and I am lifetime banned after this.  I find that kind of propaganda beyond the pale and I will say so till I am planted in the grave.
That's a pretty girl.  I caught her twice.  12.5 pounds.  I hope she's still alive.

PorkSoda

Quote from: radar on October 09, 2017, 10:06:25 pm
no
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

sowmonella

Quote from: KennyForAD on October 09, 2017, 10:12:08 pm
That's all I can take.  Do you really think I'm campaigning for Hatfield to be AD, and you put me in my place by writing an essay on why he shouldn't be?
Freaking millennials. 

Do not throw pearls before swine.  They will only trample them, then turn and gnash yo with their tusks.

A cookie to whoever knows what that means.   Later

I just copied and pasted. I don't write essays. FYI I'm not a millennial, I'm a 62 year old "Baby Boomer".

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Yes... You should put that keyboard to work making you some money...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Hoggish1

I believe you are wrong.  The people who will pull the string on Long understand he is the first problem that must be removed before the next step is taken.

KennyForAD

Quote from: PorkSoda on October 09, 2017, 10:12:14 pm
firing petrino would have not have affected any potential law suites.  its a phony reason. a lot of the reasoning for firing Petrino was phony.  Long could have chosen to keep Petrino and no one would have batted an eyelash.

He chose to fire him, that was his choice.  He gambled on being able to find a replacement.  that replacement didn't pan out.  it is what it is.

CORRECT! 

PorkSoda

Quote from: KennyForAD on October 09, 2017, 10:18:48 pm
CORRECT! 
that said, I'm not sure that Long playing the media to put the university in the best light, equals corruption.  I'm pretty sure that is just part of his job.

tomarkansawyer

I thought the rational was that if they did not fire BP and another UA employee (professor/GA) committed a similar offense and the UA fired the professor, then said professor could have a legitimate cause for a lawsuit. I'm no lawyer, but I thought that's what I remember.

But I still wanted them to keep BP.  They could have taken the even higher road and offered forgiveness and given him the ability to become a better person.

A ton of people in powerful positions do horrible things all the time. Maybe BP could have changed for the better on a personal level if given the right support and accountable structure. He may be a scumbag as a person, but he's a heck of a football coach. Maybe given the opportunity, he might have grown into a better man.

KlubhouseKonnected

If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

The_Iceman

This thread is embarrassing to my profession. We have an attorney on here who doesn't understand who the Plaintiff are in the case nor what their cause of action is.

But thank you for taking me back to Con Law and Employment Law. Needed the refresher on protected classes, even thought it had NOTHING to do with the Petrino case.

wachhog

Quote from: bondhue on October 09, 2017, 10:12:40 pm
For once I disagree with you, strongly.   His body of work, as you call it, includes the propaganda campaign that the UA is not a win at all cost institution.  I have detailed on this site how that is a false dichotomy and how it implies, wittingly or not, that other winning programs are doing it the wrong way.  It implies that a program cannot win at power 5 without cheating, or at least the U of A cannot.  Taken further, as some here have shown, it implies that previous success at this institution must have been at the cost of ethical behavior.  It is truly despicable.   Any reasonable person knows you can win and be ethical.  Even at the U of A.  I don't care if this is my last post here and I am lifetime banned after this.  I find that kind of propaganda beyond the pale and I will say so till I am planted in the grave.
Is Spinning a competitive sport at the IofA? Because that's all Long seems to know anything about,  and he's a master at that. How so many fall for his spin is a mystery to me.

KennyForAD

The point I'm trying to get across is that Long is damaged goods.  He's compromised.  Deny it all you want, but it is a FACT that Long, instead of acting professionally and wisely trying to AVOID a media circus, HE THREW FUEL ON THE FIRE.  He did it to promote himself and he succeeded in part and failed in part.  He got famous and was glorified (wrongly.  He should have been scorned for acting unprofessionally).  But he severely damaged himself in relation to coaches.

WHY DO YOU THINK LONG DESPERATELY CLINGS TO BIELEMA?  Its because he knows what I know, and what you SHOULD know.... That he can't hire any other coach who has options.  If BB goes down, Long's rep among coaches will be exposed, and his only chance at keeping his job will be trying to sneak Les Miles in here - or someone else with no options.

He will NEVER fire BB on his own.  He'll have to be forced to fire him.  Watch.

PorkRinds

I don't see how it doesn't open them up from lawsuits from her. Say they keep Petrino. They obviously can't let her keep her job, so she gets fired or moved but he doesn't? That seems like a potential legal issue. All it takes is the right attorney and it's at least a news story when they file the suit.

ballz2thewall

Quote from: KennyForAD on October 09, 2017, 10:29:18 pm
The point I'm trying to get across is that Long is damaged goods.  He's compromised.  Deny it all you want, but it is a FACT that Long, instead of acting professionally and wisely trying to AVOID a media circus, HE THREW FUEL ON THE FIRE.  He did it to promote himself and he succeeded in part and failed in part.  He got famous and was glorified (wrongly.  He should have been scorned for acting unprofessionally).  But he severely damaged himself in relation to coaches.

WHY DO YOU THINK LONG DESPERATELY CLINGS TO BIELEMA?  Its because he knows what I know, and what you SHOULD know.... That he can't hire any other coach who has options.  If BB goes down, Long's rep among coaches will be exposed, and his only chance at keeping his job will be trying to sneak Les Miles in here - or someone else with no options.

we don't know yet if he's desperately clinging to cbb. we might soon but we don't as of now. i agree that long is not suitable for hiring coaches. he brought cbb in and tried to polish him. 

the les miles stuff is just nonsense. as far as exposure; that cat is already out of the bag.

and we don't have to dig up the merits of bobby petrino in order to be put out with jlong. what we do know, or believe, rather, is that cbb was oversold to the uofa with a buyout supported by the no-totem bowl in texas.   
The rest of the frog.

PorkRinds

Im firmly now on the fire CBB bandwagon.  But I still think this line of thinking is garbage. It's, to me, literally a figment if a small portion of folks' imagination.  In the absence of information, too many tend to just make it up.

KennyForAD

Everyone in the country knows he grandstanded, and PROLONGED the circus, and intensified it, when any sensible AD would have AVOIDED the circus and tried to diminish it.  Everyone here would have understood that, had it happened at OU.  But it happened here, and its really hard to be objective when its happening to you.

KennyForAD

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 09, 2017, 10:34:59 pm
Im firmly now on the fire CBB bandwagon.  But I still think this line of thinking is garbage. It's, to me, literally a figment if a small portion of folks' imagination.  In the absence of information, too many tend to just make it up.

I can understand how people don't get the significance of Long's 'lawsuit lie.'  It was a shocker to me because I happen to KNOW he was lying.  From that point, the rest was easy to see.

Tell me this please?  Why do you think Long gave BB that mysterious buyout? 18 mill, right?   Could it have been a little safeguard against the last thing Long wants: a coaching search. 

woodrow hog call

I'm pretty sure any other athletic dept employee that didn't get a $20k (or whatever the amount was) gift from BP, and was not sleeping with him,  could have caused some unpleasant press for the university.

What if two or three young ladies had of spoke up and said they had been engaging in the same activities with BP, and they were promised a nice bonus, but never got it?

There are several possibilities for embarrassing press, and or legal action to be taken, maybe not won but still damaging.

"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

PonderinHog

From Tusk Till Dawn

Quote from: KennyForAD on October 09, 2017, 09:34:28 pm
You will be found to have brought a FRIVOLOUS lawsuit, will be laughed out of court,  forced to pay the guy you frivolously sued, and might even jailed for contempt of court - because you KNEW that he had a reason for hiring her that had NOTHING to do with discriminating against your

Jeff Long did not NEED a lawyer to tell him that Petrino did not expose the UofA to any lawsuits.  He knows exactly what I just wrote.  Still, he had a TEAM of lawyers telling him that there was ZERO potential for lawsuits.

YET JEFF LONG WENT ON NATIONAL TV AND LIED.  THERE IS NO QUESTION, NO DEBATE.  THIS IS AN ABSOLUTE.  LONG LIED ABOUT POTENTIAL LAWSUITS.

Riddle me this.

Not a lawyer but did read the termination letter and it did not say he was being fired due to risk of being sued, so will give you that.  But you said he had a team telling him there was zero potential for lawsuits.  How do you know that? 

I ask because you noted previosly that someone could bring a frivolous lawsuit and that they may be laughed at etc.  But frivolous just means it shouldnt happen not that the potential doesnt exist.  Just feels like that would be a reasonable possibility in the lawsuit happy world we live in.

potus

You are right absolutely about Jeff Long. He used Petrino's bad judgement to promote himself.  In layman's terms Petrino violated mama's rule.  Mama's rule states that if there is a good chance mama is going to find out then you'd better be the first one on her door step to tell her!  Don't let her find it out from someone else!  I think you have to ask yourself why would he or anybody let people like Chuck Dicus leave.  There were other former players like Chuck in the Razorback Foundation that were doing a good job.   Not only were these people doing a good job in my opinion they had earned their jobs from their sacrifices on the practice field!  Football practice back in the 1960's was demanding and rough.  There wasn't any NCAA rules that regulated the length of practice.

potus

Even though I do not think Coach Bielema is going to be successful here and I think a change is best for everyone.  I like and respect Coach Bielema and wish him all the best.  Jeff Long is a different story.  I don't think the guy would make a good bookkeeper at an AIC school. Don't trust him at all!

DeltaBoy

Quote from: bondhue on October 09, 2017, 10:12:40 pm

Jeff the Carpet Bagger has gotten rich and tanked our program and should be FIRED!!!!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Vantage 8 dude

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: From Tusk Till Dawn on October 09, 2017, 11:01:11 pm
Riddle me this.

Not a lawyer but did read the termination letter and it did not say he was being fired due to risk of being sued, so will give you that.  But you said he had a team telling him there was zero potential for lawsuits.  How do you know that? 

I ask because you noted previosly that someone could bring a frivolous lawsuit and that they may be laughed at etc.  But frivolous just means it shouldnt happen not that the potential doesnt exist.  Just feels like that would be a reasonable possibility in the lawsuit happy world we live in.
Well the ONE thing we do know about EACH and EVERY attorney is they know all about lawsuits....frivolous or not. I swear that anyone could know zilch about the law otherwise and still pass the bar if they only know all the ins-and-out about suing. I swear in the case of most attorneys when compared to sharks the latter would be found far more ethical and honest.

KlubhouseKonnected

If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.