Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The offical "Show us your racks" thread.

Started by pioneerhog, May 09, 2006, 09:24:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

str8volfan

Slacker

Quote from: str8volfan on November 29, 2011, 07:57:30 pm
haters gone hate. I didnt even post the big one.

Due to the bullet holes between it's front hooves?

str8volfan

Whiskey River

One I killed this morning...

Before and after pics...

This species has amused itself to death...

PharmacistHog

Quote from: str8volfan on November 29, 2011, 07:57:30 pm
haters gone hate. I didnt even post the big one.

You ought to post terry don's.
Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

ArchitectHog

Wish I killed these but they were killed out of my county.
Games don't make people violent, lag does.
Quote from: KEYS on October 07, 2009, 10:45:57 am
The Hogs should play every HOME game in Little Rock just as soon as the campus is moved there... hence the meaning of "home."
Quote from: DEVICEHIGH on August 13, 2010, 08:47:52 am
We can no longer afford to play in Little Rock. The university is in Fayetteville.

razorback4ever

Quote from: ArchitectHog on December 13, 2011, 01:37:56 pm

Everyone of those were dandy bucks!

razorback4ever

Quote from: Whiskey River on November 29, 2011, 09:49:37 pm
One I killed this morning...

Before and after pics...

Nice Buck Wiskey River, and a good rifle I might add! I've got a .308 and a 30.06 Browning and love em both, although I'm especially sweet on the .308.

code3hawg

My best deer to date, killed yesterday (Sat Dec 17th) running with another buck who didnt run when I shot his buddy.  Had my scope on the smaller buck and realized I had no more bucks tags.

Quit Whinning and support your Team!

markmta33

Quote from: code3hawg on December 18, 2011, 08:11:54 am
My best deer to date, killed yesterday (Sat Dec 17th) running with another buck who didnt run when I shot his buddy.  Had my scope on the smaller buck and realized I had no more bucks tags.

Congratulations

Whiskey River

Quote from: razorback4ever on December 14, 2011, 04:40:07 pm
Nice Buck Wiskey River, and a good rifle I might add! I've got a .308 and a 30.06 Browning and love em both, although I'm especially sweet on the .308.

I love mine, it is a .270
This species has amused itself to death...

Doggtown31LCC

Quote from: ArchitectHog on December 13, 2011, 01:37:56 pm

the guy in 2nd pic is a buddy of mine and my neighbor, we're on the same lease, he killed a really good 10pt before that one
L. Courtney Click
Winthrop Wolves #1
Superman wears Joe Adams pajamas

Ray Zorback_1*

From Tree Stand, 18Yd, Rage 2 blade 100g, Beman ICS Arrows, Bear Odyssey Bow

Virgil

Quote from: Ray Zorback_1* on October 07, 2012, 03:17:22 pm

Awesome deer.  Great job. 
It's not what you push but what pushes you!!

Slacker

Albert Einswine

Quote from: Ray Zorback_1* on October 07, 2012, 03:17:22 pm

Great buck!  He's a no doubter.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Ray Zorback_1*

October 27, 2012, 09:04:26 pm #267 Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 09:07:32 pm by Ray Zorback_1*
Just finnished my new trophy wall in my mancave.

I wouldn't have taken the bottom left but he had a severely broken leg.

hogattack21

Quote from: Ray Zorback_1* on October 27, 2012, 09:04:26 pm
Just finnished my new trophy wall in my mancave.

I wouldn't have taken the bottom left but he had a severely broken leg.

Looks great!!! I am actually going to work on something like that myself as soon as I finish building my shop. Dont feel sorry about the one the bottom left. He makes the 6 point I killed last year look like a shrimp. Gotta break those cold spells as some point if you know what I mean.
It may be wrong, but it sure feels right.

str8volfan

well, my 12 year old missed a very good deer right after daylight this morning, I would guess it was around a 130, but he stayed focused and got this one right before dark this afternoon. It helped ease some of the disappointment from this morning.

Slacker

beebefootballfan

Should have thrown your shirt in the trash for punishment instead off cutting of his shirttail.

Congrats on the deer though.
"The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money."- Alexis de Tocqueville

HuntinHog

Yeah, way to kill a good family moment with the Tenner shirt.

Kidding...

Sort of...

Wayne Watson

Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

PharmacistHog

Quote from: str8volfan on November 03, 2012, 11:05:49 pm
well, my 12 year old missed a very good deer right after daylight this morning, I would guess it was around a 130, but he stayed focused and got this one right before dark this afternoon. It helped ease some of the disappointment from this morning.

Where'd he kill him?
Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

woodrow hog call

Nice buck Boar, good to recover those and put your mind at ease. I stuck one a few years ago and was sick about it for a week, then my buddy missed him and he was chasing a doe like nothing had happened.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

kodiakisland

Got this one this morning.  I probably wouldn't have shot it but it was limping.  One of our youth hunters had shot at a buck last weekend and not found any blood.  I figured the limp was from that shot, so I shot it.  Turned out it wasn't.  It had a hoof that was split midways all the way to the bone.  The toes were pretty long, so it hadn't been using that foot for some time.  It was young and should be good eating.

Shot it with a ruger 77 RSI in .250-3000.  80gr TTSX caused massive damage, even on the entry side.

If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

Youin

My son with an 8 point from this morning, using a .243 at 75 yards....dropped in tracks.
U of A Alum '87

Joe Adams said when he was asked how an opposing team should go about stopping Arkansas's passing attack.  He said "to be honest, you can't, there is just too many of us".

Albert Einswine

November 20, 2012, 10:17:30 am #278 Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 10:22:38 am by Albert Einswine
Broke protocol this morning and carried my muzzleloader. He came in behind me 5 minutes til 8 and I shot him on a trot as he was hoofin' across a narrow soybean patch (it doesn't qualify as a field, maybe 10 acres total, maybe.) Anyway, open sights at about 50-60 yards, just far enough out that I couldn't see that his right main beam tip and G-3 were broken off. Still, will provide good eats!
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

FORTVEGAS

kodiakisland

Looks great to me.  Hunting is not about the score.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

Albert Einswine

FORTVEGAS

Thanks it took me just under 3 hrs from hide to the finished product.

Albert Einswine

Man, you've gotta tell me how you did it that fast!

FORTVEGAS

Step by step here it is
1. saw off head 2-3 inches behind the horn
2. use a razor utility knife cut down center of the face and start working the edges (I use pliers pull and cut) around the horns is the hardest part
3. get the hide down to the bottom jaw and pull the jaw off ( it has two bones that hook onto the top)
4. Boil the head for an hour, do not submerge the horns(discolors them) I do this out side in a turkey fryer it has a punget aroma
5. use a high pressure pressure washer and clean the skull (it gets messy) make sure you wash all the brain out it seems to be the hardest part.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: FORTVEGAS on November 26, 2012, 11:17:13 am
Step by step here it is
1. saw off head 2-3 inches behind the horn
2. use a razor utility knife cut down center of the face and start working the edges (I use pliers pull and cut) around the horns is the hardest part
3. get the hide down to the bottom jaw and pull the jaw off ( it has two bones that hook onto the top)
4. Boil the head for an hour, do not submerge the horns(discolors them) I do this out side in a turkey fryer it has a punget aroma
5. use a high pressure pressure washer and clean the skull (it gets messy) make sure you wash all the brain out it seems to be the hardest part.

Okay, you're just a lot faster than me with the skinning and I don't use a pressure washer.  Here's a tip my taxidermist buddy gave me: take a coathanger, cut a piece of it, bend a little pick tool on the end and dig the brain out before boiling, it comes out easier uncooked.  Also, here's a tip from me, put some dawn dishwashing liquid in your boil pot. Helps clean out brain remnants and cuts any other fat.

FORTVEGAS

Thanks for the tips i will try the dawn soap

Albert Einswine

Quote from: FORTVEGAS on November 26, 2012, 11:50:43 am
Thanks for the tips i will try the dawn soap

Here's the big 8 I did year before last. Went to Lowes and bought a red oak plank, traced the state of Indiana on it and cut it out with a jig saw and used the plank remnants to make a base so that it can sit on a shelf or end table.

gotyacovered

Quote from: Albert Einswine on November 26, 2012, 12:29:00 pm
Here's the big 8 I did year before last. Went to Lowes and bought a red oak plank, traced the state of Indiana on it and cut it out with a jig saw and used the plank remnants to make a base so that it can sit on a shelf or end table.

love that deer. tine length is great.
You are what you tolerate.

Albert Einswine

smoked hog

I wouldn't recommend boiling any skull.  It will force fat into the bone even with the dawn in the water.  Most taxidermist will use either beetles or warm water maceration. Followed by a long degreasing time, a couple weeks on something like a deer. It may look fine now but in a couple of years you can deal with the bone yellowing as the fat leaches to the surface.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: smoked hog on November 26, 2012, 02:15:48 pm
I wouldn't recommend boiling any skull.  It will force fat into the bone even with the dawn in the water.  Most taxidermist will use either beetles or warm water maceration. Followed by a long degreasing time, a couple weeks on something like a deer. It may look fine now but in a couple of years you can deal with the bone yellowing as the fat leaches to the surface.

Mine is pretty yellow, probably partly due to that and the fact that I smoked heavily in the same room with the mount for 2 years. I don't mind though, it just gives it character to me.

smoked hog

If you ever have one you don't want to yellow, give me a shout. I can walk you through the practice. More time but less work.  Also a couple of taxidermist I've talked to will apply a couple layers of clearcoat.  I've done it with good results on some of my smaller skulls.  Will be trying it on a 7 and an 8 in the next couple of weeks.

I kind of like a little more natural color so I don't use the bleaching agent as long, I like a little more character as well. just gives it a little more of a bone color that I like.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: smoked hog on November 26, 2012, 03:01:23 pm
If you ever have one you don't want to yellow, give me a shout. I can walk you through the practice. More time but less work.  Also a couple of taxidermist I've talked to will apply a couple layers of clearcoat.  I've done it with good results on some of my smaller skulls.  Will be trying it on a 7 and an 8 in the next couple of weeks.

I kind of like a little more natural color so I don't use the bleaching agent as long, I like a little more character as well. just gives it a little more of a bone color that I like.

I brushed this one down with some 40 volume salon peroxide and sprayed it with polyurethane. I imagine I'd be able to get some of the nicotine yellow off of it if I tried.

PositronHog

smoked hog

My first archery buck from earier this year.  Not a monster but I was pretty happy. 

bow buck#1 by mattrose81, on Flickr

ArchitectHog

Games don't make people violent, lag does.
Quote from: KEYS on October 07, 2009, 10:45:57 am
The Hogs should play every HOME game in Little Rock just as soon as the campus is moved there... hence the meaning of "home."
Quote from: DEVICEHIGH on August 13, 2010, 08:47:52 am
We can no longer afford to play in Little Rock. The university is in Fayetteville.

pick_DA_EAGLES

How do i post a picture. I got some of a buck killed just east of des arc everbody will want to see?

Albert Einswine

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on November 30, 2012, 09:18:59 pm
How do i post a picture. I got some of a buck killed just east of des arc everbody will want to see?

Hit the reply button at the bottom or top of the page toward the right side, click the "add attachments" below the text box and it will open a browse button, click the browse button and select your computer's picture files, find the picture you want to post and click on that and then click the post button.

pick_DA_EAGLES