Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The offical "Show us your racks" thread.

Started by pioneerhog, May 09, 2006, 09:24:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gotyacovered

November 30, 2009, 08:49:08 am #200 Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 09:39:38 am by gotyacovered
Quote from: spit on November 27, 2009, 03:44:51 am
how wide is that deer?  how tall that G2?  looks from pic like would score more than 130??  Did you score it yourself?

i didnt score it myself... there is a guy that does it pretty regualrly that did it for me. it was 16 7/8 wide and the G2's were 9 7/8... i was pretty disappointed in the score myself... but not for long... i think the spread and main beam length is what caused the low score...

im getting flamed on another board for passing a 150" deer (in Kansas) so obviously i am not a very good judge!!!
You are what you tolerate.

clutch

Quote from: gotyacovered on November 30, 2009, 08:49:08 am
i didnt score it myself... there is a guy that does it pretty regualrly that did it for me. it was 16 7/8 wide and the G2's were 9 7/8... i was pretty disappointed in the score myself... but not for long... i think the spread and main beam length is what caused the low score...

im getting flamed on another board for passing a 150" deer (in Kansas) so obviously i am not a very good judge!!!

You should just tell them you are hunting for a wall hanger. 150" just won't do anything for your trophy room. You need at least a 170". Your a hunter, gotta lie a little lol.

Ā 

gotyacovered

Quote from: clutch on December 01, 2009, 10:33:17 pm
You should just tell them you are hunting for a wall hanger. 150" just won't do anything for your trophy room. You need at least a 170". Your a hunter, gotta lie a little lol.

he was a [CENSORED] for harassing me about it anyway. i am a south arky, not used to looking at big bodied deer... i could stick my foot in this things nostrils. it made its horns look small... im over it now... i guess. another good Arkansas kill would fix any grief i have!!!

clutch

Quote from: gotyacovered on December 02, 2009, 11:18:00 am
he was a feminine tool for harassing me about it anyway. i am a south arky, not used to looking at big bodied deer... i could stick my foot in this things nostrils. it made its horns look small... im over it now... i guess. another good Arkansas kill would fix any grief i have!!!

I hear that. Those big bodies shrink those racks, or in the case of Texas its the complete opposite

gotyacovered

Quote from: clutch on December 02, 2009, 01:23:56 pm
I hear that. Those big bodies shrink those racks, or in the case of Texas its the complete opposite

LOL!!!

pick_DA_EAGLES

December 12, 2009, 03:40:44 pm #205 Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 09:25:32 am by pick_DA_EAGLES
here is the 2 i killed in 2007. (just now got a photobucket account and figured out how too use it)

this is an 11 pnt.

14 pnt crazy horn.

this years deer.

different view.

OneTuskOverTheLineā„¢

Quote from: FlyingRzrbkAF on November 29, 2008, 08:41:06 pm
Well here we go.  I had one day to hunt this season and it was this past Tuesday.  The Air Force moved me to Oklahoma this year so this is my first ever hunt outside of Arkansas.  I met a man in town who said he'd take me whenever I wanted to go so I jumped on the opportunity.  All I have to say is... wow.  I saw more deer in one day than I have in multiple seasons combined in my Fordyce woods.  I saw 50+ deer with several 8 points a ton of spikes and a funky 7 point that I let walk because I was having so much fun I didn't want to end the day.  My friend saw 142 from atop a hill.

I sat on a 1000 acre lease up in far Northwest Oklahoma in a tripod overlooking a large wheat field.  It was a new experience because I had 900 yards straight ahead, and 200 yards each to the cuts on either side of me.  I showed up with my .30-30 and my friend suggested I take one of his rifles, I'm glad I did.  I was lined up on a very nice 8 point in the morning but he was sitting out at 220 yards (thanks to a laser range finder I was sent out with).  I wasn't used to taking those kinds of shots so I had to let him go.  I was hating myself as dusk came because I wished I had taken a shot on him.  Then at about 5 PM I had 7 doe in the field and a 4 pointer came out.  I decided to mess with him some before I left and use a grunt on him to try and see if I could get him to walk in for practice.  I grunted a few times and he stopped and actually took a step or two forward while staring right at me.  A nice doe in the middle of the field started dancing and prancing around every time I grunted so I did it a few more times.  Just then out of the corner of my eye I saw a streak moving in from the hills next to me.  I pulled up my binoculars and saw this 8 point come charging in straight at that doe.  He pulled up and stopped with his tail and ears straight up and staring at me.  I grunted again and he started running and hopped the fence into my field.  I got him in the scope and started making decisions.  He was 160 yards out and I said "I'm doing it."  I got myself ready and then the doe jumped and I saw his muscles clinch to move so I rushed myself and pulled the trigger.

I missed.

All the deer went sprinting and he went at a 30 degree angle away from me longways across the field.  I immediately ran the bolt and cycled a new round in and reacquired him.  I didn't think I hit him but wanted to get him again in case I just wounded him.  Right before he entered the cut he stopped one more time.  I calmed myself, lined the horizontal bar directly with his spine and squeezed.  He dropped immediately, made one kick, and laid to rest.  I lased him to see the distance and he was right at 230 yards.  Not bad for an offhand shot on my first long range kill (Go Air Force).  I gathered everything, kept an eye on him, and moved in.  He never made another move.  When I got to him I found a brow tine I hadn't seen making him a 9 point.  He weighed in at a hair under 140.  I know not impressive to many on here, but it's the largest deer I have ever harvested so I'm proud.  I pulled my light out and signaled my friend and he drove out to meet me.  I had never successfully grunted in a deer and didn't think it was possible.  It may never work again.  I also had never shot at a deer beyond 80 yards but have taken 100-200 yard shots on the range.  I had a blast and looks like I'll be laying my money down and campaigning with my friends for my shot at a lease next year. 

Please excuse the blood, I don't know where it all came from because the meat was fine.  I know it's not classy/respectful but I wanted pictures.  He was shot straight through the spine on the middle of his back so I must have pulled back a little and the bullet didn't drop much.  I was told the rifle was sighted for 200 yards dead on.  I thought he was gutshot as I approached but he wasn't, must have just been the entry the bullet made.  I'm also glad I made the shot because he was clipped on his front elbow when I shot low, and I would have hated to leave a wounded deer.

My view:

My deer:

My deer and a Bob Dozier K-30 Whitetail Skinner.  Best/sharpest knives in the world and all stamped "Arkansas Made".  If you don't have one, pick one up.:

Clostest thing I've seen to a deer hunting "Dear Penthouse" Letter... I guess you could call it a "Deer Penthouse" Letter...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

puddlehog

jcharkansas

Slacker

October 19, 2010, 10:04:22 pm #209 Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 08:52:34 pm by Slacker
10 points, 13.5 inch spread. Heavy rack, long friggin body. NOTE: His head is a long as the tailgate! His ass is touching front of the box in the bed.

Albert Einswine

I'm not sure that's a decal!  I fear for the lad in the picture,  it seems that popcorn hog is about to launch an assault on him.  Slacker may still be involved in a death match with the evil villain!
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

SultanofSwine

Quote from: hawgndodge on October 25, 2010, 09:43:47 am
curse you popcorn hog!!!

someone get slacker a new decal.

Then he wouldnt be a slacker anymore...

Slacker

Quote from: SultanofSwine on October 25, 2010, 03:38:19 pm
Then he wouldnt be a slacker anymore...

Thank you SOS. BTW, that is on my 1997 Dodge pickup. It's dated, as are the decals on it. I've been thinking about scraping that thing off... It was given to me anyway.

Ā 

Slacker

My boy took this 9 point this morning. Great shot. 120 yards with a 30-30. Right behind the shoulder!  Proud of that kid!

Albert Einswine

Quote from: Slacker on November 06, 2010, 11:41:17 am
My boy took this 9 point this morning. Great shot. 120 yards with a 30-30. Right behind the shoulder!  Proud of that kid!

Congrats to your son!  I would like to add that I'm happy you were able to save him from the assault of popcornhog!  I was genuinely concerned after seeing the pic you posted where the evil popcornhog was poised to attack him in the bed of your truck!!!
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Slacker

Quote from: Albert Einswine on November 06, 2010, 11:56:04 pm

Congrats to your son!  I would like to add that I'm happy you were able to save him from the assault of popcornhog!  I was genuinely concerned after seeing the pic you posted where the evil popcornhog was poised to attack him in the bed of your truck!!!

Thanks again. I'll be scraping that off soon. As that truck is about to be passed down to him. Wouldn't want to start him off on the wrong foot...

Albert Einswine

November 07, 2010, 10:21:09 pm #216 Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 07:02:23 pm by Albert Einswine
Shot this boy at 6 this evening here in central Indiana.  Beautiful 8 point, weighed 186 field dressed which I estimate around 225 to 230 live weight.  I wasn't even gonna go out but decided to at the last minute.  Not bad for 45 minutes on the stand.

First deer with my 50 lb. Horsebow recurve I bought last fall.  Shot him with a 29" 3 Rivers cedar hunter arrow tipped with a 125 grain Magnus 2 blade.  I'm stoked!

Slacker

Quote from: Albert Einswine on November 07, 2010, 10:21:09 pm
Shot this boy at 5 this evening here in central Indiana.  Beautiful 8 point, weighed 186 field dressed which I estimate around 225 to 230 live weight.  I wasn't even gonna go out but decided to at the last minute.  Not bad for 45 minutes on the stand.

First deer with my 50 lb. Horsebow recurve I bought last fall.  Shot him with a 29" 3 Rivers cedar hunter arrow tipped with a 125 grain Magnus 2 blade.  I'm stoked!

Nice Buck!

HogBreath

Really nice buck Dr. Einswine, and with a recurve, after 45 minutes!  I'm P.O.'d.  You're the man!  Great job!
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Albert Einswine

Thanks, y'all!  I double lunged him and he was down in 15 seconds less than 20 yds in front of my stand.

SultanofSwine

Great deer AE!! Congrats!! Dont you just love those long blood trails? ;D

Albert Einswine

Quote from: SultanofSwine on November 08, 2010, 11:35:59 am
Great deer AE!! Congrats!! Dont you just love those long blood trails? ;D

Thanks Sultan!  You know it, brotha!  Those 18 yard long blood trails are the best! ;)

kodiakisland

My daughters first deer.  After three years she finally pulled the trigger on one!

This year I started hunting again with the first rifle I ever got.  It had been at least 20 years since I had hunted with this 30/30.  It felt good to use it again.

If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

HogBreath

Quote from: kodiakisland on November 19, 2010, 10:14:15 pm
My daughters first deer.  After three years she finally pulled the trigger on one!

This year I started hunting again with the first rifle I ever got.  It had been at least 20 years since I had hunted with this 30/30.  It felt good to use it again.

Congrats to that young lady!  And the 30-30 is the classic deer rifle.  Do you use the leverevolution ammo?

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Ā 

kodiakisland

I like remington core-lokts for the 30/30.  I might be interested in the leverevolution ammo if I was using a scope.  I prefer a receiver or tang sight on a lever action and don't plan on shooting past 100 yards anyway. 

If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

HogBreath

Quote from: kodiakisland on November 19, 2010, 11:19:58 pm
I like remington core-lokts for the 30/30.  I might be interested in the leverevolution ammo if I was using a scope.  I prefer a receiver or tang sight on a lever action and don't plan on shooting past 100 yards anyway. 

Years ago I killed 13 consecutive whitetails with one shot using core lokts.  Then once took 15 shots to kill two of them.  It was all on me too, not sure what happened.

Slacker

Quote from: kodiakisland on November 19, 2010, 10:14:15 pm

Congrats! I had the same struggles with my boy the last couple of years. Just wouldn't pull the trigger. Now that he's broke his cherry, he wants to go all the time to the woods!

Davidā€ 

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hog Fan n Tx

My Granddaughter shot this small 8 point buck this week in central Texas.  She is 14 and this is her first deer.  Her other grandfather took her and that is him in the picture with her.  It was about 50 yards out and she was shooting a 243.

Slacker

Quote from: Hog Fan n Tx on December 30, 2010, 06:25:01 pm
My Granddaughter shot this small 8 point buck this week in central Texas.  She is 14 and this is her first deer.  Her other grandfather took her and that is him in the picture with her.  It was about 50 yards out and she was shooting a 243.

Well raised child and congrats on both the child and the deer!

Davidā€ 

Thats great!!! I love to see kids hunting with family. Quality time that money can't buy. Good looking family.

southeasthog

Mrs southesthog with her best buck to date. She shot him opening morning with her .243. He ran about 40 yards.

Quote from: 1990sHogBallChild on March 04, 2023, 04:08:32 pmWe have peaked... lucked his way to two elite 8s by getting the most favorable draws in tourney history. Beat the most over-rated 1 seed in the history of college basketball in Gonzaga who would be a 6 seed if they played in a real conference. Then Muss's other 5 tourney wins are against an average of a 12 seed. A few dozen coaches could have done that. Two losing records in SEC play is as much as MA had in 8 years.

Slacker

Quote from: southeasthog on January 01, 2011, 05:26:48 pm
Mrs southesthog with her best buck to date. She shot him opening morning with her .243. He ran about 40 yards.

That is nice bodied buck. Congrats to her!

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hog_heaven_2000

Got this one three seasons ago near Rison.
"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

gotyacovered

My first Kansas deer and first buck with a bow.

Prince Hogbert

gosh thats a big buck gotyacovered. congrats!

Albert Einswine

Quote from: gotyacovered on November 07, 2011, 06:16:25 pm
My first Kansas deer and first buck with a bow.

Very nice, love the palmation!

Looks like an absolute brute.  What did he weigh field dressed?

gotyacovered

Quote from: Albert Einswine on November 07, 2011, 06:28:28 pm

Very nice, love the palmation!

Looks like an absolute brute.  What did he weigh field dressed?

You won't believe me... BUT... No head, no skin, no guts, no legs... 180lbs.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: gotyacovered on November 07, 2011, 06:50:45 pm
You won't believe me... BUT... No head, no skin, no guts, no legs... 180lbs.

No, I believe that.  I can tell by the photo the thing is huge.  Why the intense dissection before weighing, though?

gotyacovered

November 07, 2011, 06:56:16 pm #241 Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 10:31:29 am by gotyacovered
Quote from: Albert Einswine on November 07, 2011, 06:54:31 pm
No, I believe that.  I can tell by the photo the thing is huge.  Why the intense dissection before weighing, though?

The processor charges by carcass weight, when I asked what carcass weight was he said those exact words, kinda funny at the time.

markmta33

str8volfan

my 11 yr old killed this one opening morning

I killed this one Wednesday at 2:00

str8volfan

razorbacker3

Quote from: markmta33 on November 16, 2011, 04:07:02 pm
Shot him the 2nd week of black powder

Guess it wasn't Arkansas. We have had just 1  week of BP.

markmta33

Quote from: razorbacker3 on November 23, 2011, 09:56:58 am
Guess it wasn't Arkansas. We have had just 1  week of BP.

My bad. It was the 2nd. weekend Oct. 29

Whiskey River

str8volfan, how wide was that buck you killed?
This species has amused itself to death...

str8volfan

Slacker