Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas bench has disappeared since SEC play....

Started by The_Bionic_Pig, January 02, 2018, 10:34:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Bionic_Pig

85-90% of the point production is from the starting (5)
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

checkraiser88

The younger players aren't developing or the recruiting sucks, one of the 2

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: checkraiser88 on January 02, 2018, 10:35:25 pm
The younger players aren't developing or the recruiting sucks, one of the 2

(1) CJ is still one dimensional and the SEC has figured him out. Has 0 pts in SEC play I believe.

(2) Thomas & Cook together average about 2pts a game.

(3) Thompson  hasn't scored in the last 2 games.

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Breems

Indeed. It's going to be a huge problem if one of our biggest strengths in non-con (quality depth) is a non-factor in conference.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Hogcephus

I could have sworn Bailey came off the bench. If everyone would have played as hard as he did we would have beaten Misstake and the refs!

Letsroll1200

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on January 02, 2018, 10:41:32 pm
(1) CJ is still one dimensional and the SEC has figured him out. Has 0 pts in SEC play I believe.

(2) Thomas & Cook together average about 2pts a game.

(3) Thompson  hasn't scored in the last 2 games.

Sometimes I wonder how did Thomas and Cook get D1 schlarships. They looked bad tonight.

Fan701

It has, especially CJ Jones.  Bailey did pretty well, though.  In the end, this year comes down to Macon, Barford, and Gafford.  If they play well, we win.  Tonight Barford was way off, and we lose.  The other two carried us and got us close. 

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: Hogcephus on January 02, 2018, 10:55:40 pm
I could have sworn Bailey came off the bench. If everyone would have played as hard as he did we would have beaten Misstake and the refs!

Forgive me....I was assuming Bailey actually started because his pts production since game 1 is light yrs ahead of his Senior counterparts at the (4) position.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Fan701

Barford played 38 minutes, Macon 37 minutes, Gafford 32 minutes.  Those guys are head and shoulders above the rest and it looks as though in conference play the bench isn't going to be asked to do a lot.

Hogcephus

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on January 02, 2018, 11:01:40 pm
Forgive me....I was assuming Bailey actually started because his pts production since game 1 is light yrs ahead of his Senior counterparts at the (4) position.
No problem. You are spot on for the rest of the bench.

Ironhawg

I wonder what's going on with Trey Thompson?  He just is not playing well at all.  I think we're missing Garland big time.

niels_boar

Jones has to slow down and let the game come to him.  He needs to use the fact that the defense knows that they have to close on him against them.  He will have a big game soon, I bet.  Bailey stepped up big and would have been a hero had we won. Thompson isn't making good decisions with the ball.  He needs to slow down, too.  However, he had as many defensive rebounds as Gafford in a quarter of the minutes. 
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

lookawayquick

Gabe O anyone?  Long arms, good hops, energy, thick body.  Would we lose much if he took minutes from Thomas, Cook and Thompson? Adrio and he surely can out play the two seniors.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Breems on January 02, 2018, 10:43:54 pm
Indeed. It's going to be a huge problem if one of our biggest strengths in non-con (quality depth) is a non-factor in conference.

Yes it is.  All the promise this year seemed to have is hanging in the balance at this point.

The_Iceman

The scouting report is out on this team. Guard us right outside the 3 point line and dare us to drive it. Outside of Barford, our guards are not strong enough to take it to the basket consistently. That is where we miss Garland, who is an Elite attacker.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Ironhawg on January 02, 2018, 11:17:32 pm
I wonder what's going on with Trey Thompson?  He just is not playing well at all.  I think we're missing Garland big time.

He's out of shape, slower than anytime in his career.. has become a turnover waiting to happen... he really stepped up big for his sr season.. to the dinner table... he is a liability in SEC play...

lynbug

I've said it before and I'll say it again......"Ain't nothin means nothin til the SEC (season starts).  That's a small exaggeration but  not too small.  Think about it.  Many times in the past Arkansas and other teams, both in the SEC and out, have started on fire in non-con....just to fade in conference play.  Not saying that's our fate but we've all seen it happen many times.  Who does well in the Big Dance....those who started on fire and faded or those who started slow and finished strong.  And then there's those who start strong, stay strong, and finish strong.  But we're not there (again) yet.  Right now we have no depth or consistency so let's hope we develop both. 

arkansasstory

CJ got blocked in the Tennessee game... and since then he seems timid. He needs to trust his shot and not assume that each player is as good as Schofield.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 02, 2018, 10:58:24 pm
Sometimes I wonder how did Thomas and Cook get D1 schlarships. They looked bad tonight.

You really thought Cook looked bad last night? First, he only played 4 minutes. But in the last game vs. UT, he was defining factor late with his defense. No one is going to mistake him for an offensive threat, but he's a pretty good defender and he offers some athleticism and mobility that Trey Thompson doesn't (talk about someone who has looked bad).

I'm sure your statement was intentionally hyperbolic, but Thomas and Cook are clearly D1 basketball players. They're role players but they have their moments for sure and Cook should be a bigger part of the rotation. I think Bailey should return to the starting lineup, backed up for Thomas. Cook should be the "big" off the bench when Gafford goes out. Trey should be in Cook's current role of getting the scraps up front.

hogsanity

19 bench points total in 2 sec games. A team that relies on playing alot of players has to get more than that out of their bench.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogginbama

Quote from: Fan701 on January 02, 2018, 10:59:18 pm
It has, especially CJ Jones.  Bailey did pretty well, though.  In the end, this year comes down to Macon, Barford, and Gafford.  If they play well, we win.  Tonight Barford was way off, and we lose.  The other two carried us and got us close. 

For CJ is looks like nerves. First time he has gotten meaningful minutes and expected to put some points on the board. Can see it in his movements...still thinking through the process instead of being relaxed and playing the game.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

lynbug

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 03, 2018, 07:57:49 am
You really thought Cook looked bad last night? First, he only played 4 minutes. But in the last game vs. UT, he was defining factor late with his defense. No one is going to mistake him for an offensive threat, but he's a pretty good defender and he offers some athleticism and mobility that Trey Thompson doesn't (talk about someone who has looked bad).

I'm sure your statement was intentionally hyperbolic, but Thomas and Cook are clearly D1 basketball players. They're role players but they have their moments for sure and Cook should be a bigger part of the rotation. I think Bailey should return to the starting lineup, backed up for Thomas. Cook should be the "big" off the bench when Gafford goes out. Trey should be in Cook's current role of getting the scraps up front.
Agree 100%. At least Cook can move and he does seem to be getting slightly better since joining late.  Trey.....slow, out of shape....and it's not gonna change most likely.

Atlhogfan1

Pts isn't the only value a bench can provide.  We need some minutes eaters if we intend on playing our style late in SEC play and postseason.  The only power conference team averaging more possessions per game right now is OU yet our 3 guards and Gafford are averaging big minutes for Anderson players in these first two SEC games.  Granted Tenn game did have the extra 5 minutes.

Macon on season avg 30.5 mpg, 39 mpg in the 2 SEC games
Barford 30.5 season 36.5 SEC
Beard 30.4 season 35.5 SEC
Gafford 20.8 season 32.5 SEC - if this keeps up, when does he wear down battling SEC post players?

Has Mike ever had 3 guards on one team avg +30 mpg?  This is going to be a grind for the rest of the season for them.  Good they are seniors and have been in the conditioning program for multiple seasons. 

The great thing about our SEC schedule this season is 0 two day turnarounds.  All Tu or Wed - Sat weeks.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Atlhogfan1

As I suspected, this minutes distribution is unlike anything Coach A has had to do in his career.  His first UAB team had 2 guards avg just over 30 mpg (Eddins F avg just under).  He hasn't had two guards since avg 30 mpg on one team.  Often 0 avg +30mpg.  Rare for 2 players no matter the position avg +30mpg for a season for Mike.  We probably will have 3 this season and Gafford may be in SEC play too. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Fan701

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 03, 2018, 09:00:06 am
As I suspected, this minutes distribution is unlike anything Coach A has had to do in his career.  His first UAB team had 2 guards avg just over 30 mpg (Eddins F avg just under).  He hasn't had two guards since avg 30 mpg on one team.  Often 0 avg +30mpg.  Rare for 2 players no matter the position avg +30mpg for a season for Mike.  We probably will have 3 this season and Gafford may be in SEC play too.
I think you're right.  We have three players that are really outstanding.  When they're not on the floor we're not a top-flight team, but I didn't think the drop-off was going to be so steep as it has appeared these last two games.  The difference between Gafford and Thompson seems huge, or between Macon and Jones.  We really need the rest of the team to pick it up.  If one of our big three has a bad night on the road, like Barford last night, we're probably toast.

Atlhogfan1

Granted we may not have gotten Barford to come:

Babb 12 ppg 7.5 rpg 7 apg at ISU
Whitt 10 ppg 5 rpg 4 apg at SMU

And couldn't foresee the sad situation with Garland.   

hogsanity

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 03, 2018, 09:27:17 am
Granted we may not have gotten Barford to come:

Babb 12 ppg 7.5 rpg 7 apg at ISU
Whitt 10 ppg 5 rpg 4 apg at SMU

And couldn't foresee the sad situation with Garland.   

Said when he left that Babb leaving would hurt later on. He was big12 player of the week early this season.

Agree though, no one could have seen the Garland situation.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE