Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tommy Tuberville - NWA TD Club

Started by The_Iceman, October 25, 2017, 03:43:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Rzbakfromwaybak

Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on October 25, 2017, 07:11:31 pm

Unfortunately the only thing it's showcased in the last 6 years is how much they own us.

Troof

Our SEC record over the last 6 years,  indicates that most SEC teams.....own us.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

CallMeAl

This program would be a lot better off if Tommy were AD. It would have been a lot better off if Tommy had been hired instead of HDN.
Hog since birth.

Jimbob111

Quote from: tusked on October 25, 2017, 06:22:32 pm
Umm someone tell Tommy, Steve Spurrier, Urban Myer, Les Myles, Phil Fulmer, Mark Ritch were all offensive guys.  Just to name a few.

And Muschamp and Chizik, two huge fails, were defensive. I would also argue Gus, Petrino, Sumlin, Mullen, Franklin (not sure here) are all offensive-minded but also great coaches. Keeping Miss State and A&M at 8 wins year in and year out, sometimes more than 8, is an incredible job in itself.

As far as "out coaching" someone in the SEC, that is PRECISELY how LSU lost to Troy, how Toledo beat Arkansas, and how so many underdogs have beaten far greater talent.

Day in and day out, you need quality depth but Houston Nutt was neither great strategist nor supplied with superior talent and he won many more games that the current coach. So coaching matters a great deal. Or, maybe Mullen and Sumlin have recruited much better than their predecessors. Likely, it's a combination of both but both are also good offensive minds.

Lastly, Saban may be a "defensive-minded" coach but his teams have actually had an offensive shift the last few years. Defense, sure, clock control, sure, but SCORE also. 

Defense wins championships. But offense wins games. No score, no win. If your defense gives up a single field goal, and you can not score, you LOSE despite your great defense.

SCORE. It's the only way to win if the other team also scores.
"DO NOT POST IN THE GAME THREAD ANYMORE TODAY OR YOU WILL RECIEVE A 30 BAN!"--

Multiple play-by-play posters followed by "Good job, D" and "Way to go, Offense" is so interesting to read over and over as the team gets blown out and the coaches flounder. I can't figure out why game threads don't have 60 to 80 pages now.

Am I the only one that misses the old, interesting game threads?

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Pork Twain on October 25, 2017, 10:39:37 pm
What I don't get about the "we need a good ole Arkansas boy" mindset.  Who was the last good ole Arkansas boy that took us to the top?

Ken Hatfield says "howdy",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Hoggie17

Quote from: DLUXHOG on October 25, 2017, 11:47:52 pm
Ken Hatfield says "howdy",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
The reason Ken Hatfield was hired over Jimmy Johnson is because he was wining at the AF academy with 2 and 3 star smaller players. I remember reading Orville Henry's article and he went into great deal about the reason.  That was the one thing that FB was aware  of he would get a coach with an edge.  Hatfield used the Wish Bone, it was different enough from what everyone else was doing at the time that the team were playing had only one week to prepare. That's what we want in our next HC.

Tusks

Quote from: Hoggie17 on October 26, 2017, 12:13:45 am
The reason Ken Hatfield was hired over Jimmy Johnson is because he was wining at the AF academy with 2 and 3 star smaller players. I remember reading Orville Henry's article and he went into great deal about the reason.  That was the one thing that FB was aware  of he would get a coach with an edge.  Hatfield used the Wish Bone, it was different enough from what everyone else was doing at the time that the team were playing had only one week to prepare. That's what we want in our next HC.

I have friends who were in the BAC then.  Frank was all about Ken because he beat Notre Dame and I'm pretty sure JFB called the game for ABC.  Anyway, at the time it was a HUGE upset, huge and it helped Hatfield get the job.

The only problem was the HC of Notre Dame at the time.  It was the one and only Jerry Faust.

Would've still hired JJ if it were me.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Hoggie17

Quote from: tusked on October 26, 2017, 12:17:25 am
I have friends who were in the BAC then.  Frank was all about Ken because he beat Notre Dame and I'm pretty sure JFB called the game for ABC.  Anyway, at the time it was a HUGE upset, huge and it helped Hatfield get the job.

The only problem was the HC of Notre Dame at the time.  It was the one and only Jerry Faust.

Would've still hired JJ if it were me.
Jerry Faust was Notre Dame's CBB.  Yes Frank was impressed that Hatfield beat ND with less talent using the wishbone  The successful coaches at Arkansas have had an edge. Lou Holtz was very creative and better that most coaches, Ken Hatfield had the wish bone and BP has one the best offensive minds in college football.  In addition he can work wonders with his OB.  Even HDN won games he shouldn't have because he is great motivator. 

depressed_fan

I wouldn't be surprised if he's not our next coach either. Someone posted "who would be a safe hire" that's about as safe of a hire as you can get. He appears to still have a fire to coach.

smb

GeorgiaHOG

NotSoFastMyFriend

Great idea! Move the spring game so that recruits don't get to see the campus. Brilliant stuff here.

smb

Quote from: NotSoFastMyFriend on October 26, 2017, 04:55:27 am
Great idea! Move the spring game so that recruits don't get to see the campus. Brilliant stuff here.
So the campus is really bringing in the 5-stars. I think to show recruits that most of the state is behind them is important too. Maybe we should get back to our roots. So far nothing in the last 5 years seems to work. I would say that most facilities in the SEC either matches or exceeds Arkansas.
GeorgiaHOG

Redhogs

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on October 25, 2017, 06:47:22 pm
Virtually guaranteed that he'll never be the AD at Arkansas by saying that we should always play at least one game in Little Rock and probably a Spring Game.
^^^^^THIS^^^^^^
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

razorcash2

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on October 25, 2017, 04:17:05 pm
For some reason I just can't stand that guy.
"Nothin' smells worse than a wet hog" ...Lost 34-0.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Rusty Shackleford on October 25, 2017, 11:32:09 pm
This program would be a lot better off if Tommy were AD. It would have been a lot better off if Tommy had been hired instead of HDN.

Now that is the Gospel TRUTH!!!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

010HogFan

Quote from: factchecker on October 25, 2017, 04:42:45 pm
Yep..... our greatest athletic director, the man who built the Razorbacks, Frank Broyles was an Arkansa- Oh, wait.... he was from Georgia.

I understand maybe wanting a former Razorback or an alumnus because you want someone who has a connection to the university.  However, being born within the state lines of Arkansas doesn't give you some inherit gift to be the athletic director at The University of Arkansas.

I never brought up Broyles. That is completely separate to the statement I made. My original comment was more of a dig at Jeff Long and how he can't relate to the people of this state, can't make those personal connections, and can't even begin to understand what runs through our minds when he basically comes out and says that winning isn't important. Not only is it important to us that our Hogs win at a respectable clip, it's imperative...Get someone in here who understands what this program represents.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: hog of steele on October 25, 2017, 10:53:07 pm
If he was the AD, would CBB have the guidance he needs like he had in Wisconsin?

Only guidance bielema needs is on-star guiding his ass out of arkansas.
Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

rljjr

Quote from: seasonhog on October 25, 2017, 07:55:58 pm

We need to get back to being a wild wet hog with fangs........we are now a pot belly pig.

The best thing I've ever read on Hogville.

Redhogs

Quote from: PharmacistHog on October 26, 2017, 08:48:48 am
CO-SIGN...x1000.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

DeltaBoy

Quote from: PharmacistHog on October 26, 2017, 08:48:48 am

Amen
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Kevin

tommy is sure running for office. it sounds like his focus group did a great getting him ready for his time in arkansas
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: razorcash2 on October 26, 2017, 08:31:56 am
"Nothin' smells worse than a wet hog" ...Lost 34-0.
That is what started my dislike for him.

factchecker

Quote from: Kevin on October 26, 2017, 09:03:10 am
tommy is sure running for office. it sounds like his focus group did a great getting him ready for his time in arkansas

He might actually be planning to running for office.

Tommy was going to run for governor of Alabama but I don't think coaching at Auburn helped his prospects.

He probably thinks the Arkansas voters will be easier to win over.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Kevin

Quote from: factchecker on October 26, 2017, 09:16:24 am
He might actually be planning to running for office.

Tommy was going to run for governor of Alabama but I don't think coaching at Auburn helped his prospects.

He probably thinks the Arkansas voters will be easier to win over.

the offices he is running for is AD or head coach
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

GuvHog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 26, 2017, 08:32:50 am
Now that is the Gospel TRUTH!!!

I agree that Tommy would be a good AD but I disagree on the head coach part. He went on to Auburn where he was fired a few years later, then to Texas Tech where they were getting ready to fire him had he not left for Cincinnati where he flopped. With a track record like that, I'm not sure he would have been any better than Nutt as the HC.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

ricepig

Quote from: Kevin on October 26, 2017, 09:19:11 am
the offices he is running for is AD or head coach

Well, he'll lose those races, too.

bphi11ips

Those running Tubberville down here were definitely predictable.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

hawgon

Quote from: hog of steele on October 25, 2017, 10:53:07 pm
If he was the AD, would CBB have the guidance he needs like he had in Wisconsin?

Yes, he would.

Tommy, " Son, the door is right over there."

GuvHog

Quote from: hawgon on October 26, 2017, 09:44:14 am
Yes, he would.

Tommy, " Son, the door is right over there."

Agreed. If Tommy is the AD then Bret is out in a heartbeat.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: GuvHog on October 26, 2017, 09:30:20 am
I agree that Tommy would be a good AD but I disagree on the head coach part. He went on to Auburn where he was fired a few years later, then to Texas Tech where they were getting ready to fire him had he not left for Cincinnati where he flopped. With a track record like that, I'm not sure he would have been any better than Nutt as the HC.

He was at auburn 10 years and he resigned.
Millennials suck...

Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

GuvHog

Quote from: PharmacistHog on October 26, 2017, 10:04:49 am
He was at auburn 10 years and he resigned.

That was the official version but he was actually told "resign or be fired".

If you'll remember, that was the year the Auburn AD privately met with Bobby Petrino behind Tuberville's back to gauge his interest in the job.

311Hog

Quote from: bphi11ips on October 26, 2017, 09:42:07 am
Those running Tubberville down here were definitely predictable.

Tubs would be and is the archetype of a Razorback head coach.  Pretty much a has been that was once highly successful but prime is past.

Always reaching backward when we should be reaching forward.

bphi11ips

Quote from: 311Hog on October 26, 2017, 10:18:31 am
Tubs would be and is the archetype of a Razorback head coach.  Pretty much a has been that was once highly successful but prime is past.

Always reaching backward when we should be reaching forward.

Don't necessarily disagree. My only comment was that those who are running him down were predictable.

And Danny Ford is the only one who I can recall who fits your mold.  You're describing  Hogville longings.

Tubberville was the right call in 1997, though. John White screwed the pooch.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

311Hog

Quote from: bphi11ips on October 26, 2017, 10:20:51 am
Don't necessarily disagree. My only comment was that those who are running him down were predictable.

and i agree they are, predictable because this would be "common" to me if we woke up 3 months from now and Tubs is whom is hired.  I guess safe is another word though i wouldn't have much confidence in "elite" success or same level as he had at Auburn, but we would be better then we are now lol....

ricepig

Quote from: 311Hog on October 26, 2017, 10:22:33 am
and i agree they are, predictable because this would be "common" to me if we woke up 3 months from now and Tubs is whom is hired.  I guess safe is another word though i wouldn't have much confidence in "elite" success or same level as he had at Auburn, but we would be better then we are now lol....

We need new energy, not a retread. Tube was good, but there's a reason he's gone from Auburn, to Tech, to Cincinnati, to unemployed.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: ricepig on October 26, 2017, 10:26:04 am
We need new energy, not a retread. Tube was good, but there's a reason he's gone from Auburn, to Tech, to Cincinnati, to unemployed.

Yep
Millennials suck...

hawgon

I wouldn't want Tubby as coach.  But he probably would make a good AD.  Even if he isn't an AD someone should reach out to him for advice or perhaps to be a member of the committee to get a new coach.

311Hog

Quote from: ricepig on October 26, 2017, 10:26:04 am
totally agree i would take new energy over proven success honestly.

HotlantaHog

Tuberville would certainly be a better coach that what Arkansas has now -- but that is a low bar. Not sure he would be among the first 10 names I would call.

Re AD, I don't doubt he would be able to do the job. But that is not the direction the vast majority of universities are going these days. It used to be football coaches became ADs. Not so much any more.

hawgon

I'm ready to hire a guy under 40 with something to prove.  And frankly, I'm not too sure that Tubbs is right on his "defense" mantra.  Offense is where the game is these days and the rules even favor it.  Even Saban has adjusted what he does.

Defense is still important but the paradigm has shifted now to the point that maybe a defense that keeps another team to 30 points or less is a good defense and you need an offense capable of scoring that many in a so so day.

ChicoHog

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on October 25, 2017, 06:27:51 pm
In a general sense he is somewhat correct about it starting with defense in the SEC, but he is not totally correct.

To be more specific though, there are a few positions that have to be elite.

An elite Quarterback
An elite Offensive Left Tackle
2 elite Defensive Tackles
An elite Middle Linebacker
An elite boundary side of the field Cornerback

Kevin Sumlin defeated Nick Saban in 2012 by having an elite QB and an elite Offensive Left Tackle.
We're 0-5 on that stat.  I agree with you.  2 elite CBs and you can man up on D all game and blitz whenever you want.  Look at what we have lost to injuries this year.
Top RB before season started
Top CB in first game
Top WR in third game
Top QB and OL in last couple of games

Odds of that are pretty slim but it happened to us.  In no way does that excuse our performance this year but it definitely hurts. 

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: ChicoHog on October 26, 2017, 02:22:29 pm
We're 0-5 on that stat.  I agree with you.  2 elite CBs and you can man up on D all game and blitz whenever you want.  Look at what we have lost to injuries this year.
Top RB before season started
Top CB in first game
Top WR in third game
Top QB and OL in last couple of games

Odds of that are pretty slim but it happened to us.  In no way does that excuse our performance this year but it definitely hurts.
Even with all of those players through end of the season, this team would be 2-6 at best in SEC this year. OL sucked from get-go, so did QB and WRs as a group. And defense was not going to ever control LOS so didn't matter much that we lost top CB. We are so thin, as always, that losing these guys means we'll be even worse. So instead of 2-6, probably 0-8. If we lose Saturday, I predict 0-8.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: Redhogs on October 25, 2017, 04:38:08 pm
Coaching Auburn soured me on TT....right or wrong.

Same, but now i wish he was still at Auburn.